Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

my grandfather died at home, he fell out of a guard tower!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

I like it. It looks like a giraffe wearing an overcoat. :3:

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Finally got official proof from the Water and Sewerage Department that the waterline to my $4,000 house, that was listed as having the waterline cut on the city auction website and has been vacant since 2005, has actually been cut. So now the city will move forward on the permit to replace the waterline that was initially filed on November 15th.

Love that just the deposit for this cost more than the house.

Also love that the city says they will replace all the lead lines on this block for free within 2-5 years.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

more houses need moats imo

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Nothus posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4665-Roundtop-Rd-Ellijay-GA-30540/105264582_zpid/

The interior is boring except the crows nest appears to have an intercom.

30 years old was not on my bingo card.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

*showing my architect a picture of Groverhaus and a picture of a concentration camp*

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Joementum posted:

*showing my architect a picture of Groverhaus and a picture of a concentration camp*

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
i would own the man in the guard tower by calling it "the eye of moron" to all the neighbors

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mark immune posted:

i would own the man in the guard tower by calling it "the eye of moron" to all the neighbors

It's a 1.5m house in rural Georgia, the buyer would have you killed and buried in a ditch and the cops would help him

Apr 7, 2003

If you kill enough people as a landowner in the rural South, some Faulkner type will write some novels about how troubled you were about it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

elijay is very very different from most of rural Georgia.

it’s a small mountain town. which is not what most people mean by “rural south “. rural south would be like swainsboro.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, Appalachia is its own thing. That land is a lot more valuable too and will probably change significantly in the coming years as metro Atlanta continues to encroach on it.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Asheville rocked bc some parts were so hilly they couldn't fit a house only trailers or tiny houses so you end up with elderly hippies and literal hillbillies living halfway off the grid in the middle of 4 million dollar mansions

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the old movie and book Cold Mountain gets into the historical differences between the Appalachian south and the plantation south pretty well if you are interested

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

the old movie and book Cold Mountain gets into the historical differences between the Appalachian south and the plantation south pretty well if you are interested

I am not

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think anyone is yeah

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

War and Pieces posted:

Asheville rocked bc some parts were so hilly they couldn't fit a house only trailers or tiny houses so you end up with elderly hippies and literal hillbillies living halfway off the grid in the middle of 4 million dollar mansions

I always called Asheville gatlinburg with money.

I think there are come crypto rural living groups scattered out in East TN. my crypto cousin and his grifter GF moved out that way to be with others . read separately of maybe other people out that direction.like east of Maryville (Muraville for locals) rural.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I actually I thought it would interest you pft since you live in the capital of Appalachia . the southern hill people are your siblings

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

I actually I thought it would interest you pft since you live in the capital of Appalachia . the southern hill people are your siblings

my family's all from new jersey

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

somehow worse

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I woke up in a room I did not own, which was sucking my very blood, and harming my finances

what is this??

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I would rent out the house and keep the tower as my fortress of solitude/place to practice wizarding skills.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's a 1.5m house in rural Georgia, the buyer would have you killed and buried in a ditch and the cops would help him

a noble martyr's death befitting a man of mine ownst wit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

non-potable water in south america is so culturally significant :(

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

a rooftop cistern is for water pressure

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

all water is liquid if at the correct temperature

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Working my office job from inside a pagoda

Apr 7, 2003

I've seen multiple houses for now where they just don't finish the wood on the porch and it looks stupid as poo poo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.zillow.com/research/minimum-wage-rent-32060/

quote:

Three Roommates or Four Jobs Needed to Afford a Two-Bedroom Rental on Minimum Wage

Rent affordability is better in cities with higher minimum wages, even in expensive markets.

Nationally, it takes nearly four full-time minimum wage workers to reasonably afford a two-bedroom rental.

Affordability for minimum wage workers is tightest in Austin. There would need to be over five full-time minimum wage workers to afford a two-bedroom rental in Austin.

In cities with a $7.25 an hour minimum wage, an average of over 3.5 full-time workers are needed to make the typical two-bedroom rental affordable.In cities with minimum wages set higher than that, an average of 2.5 full-time minimum wage workers are needed to make the typical two-bedroom rental affordable, despite many of these cities having higher-than-average rents.

There's a little calculator if you want to see how much your city sucks!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

millennials are greedy - they think they each deserve a private bedroom

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Gross San Francisco hoarder home sells for $500K over ask with 12 offers

(more pics at link :barf: )

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Hoarder? That's not even a lot of high life bottles. Rude

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i was like 500k, sure it's gross but that's really cheap for that market

oh, 500K over the asking price.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
at least they are not full of piss

ship them to wherever they are protesting cop city, add a gas card

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

that'll be a solid flip. 1.2m in sf is a steal, especially for that area. easy flip for $2.2m or beyond

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I was thinking it'd be a teardown. Hoarder remediation is p. difficult to pull off.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

I was thinking it'd be a teardown. Hoarder remediation is p. difficult to pull off.

The house across the street from me had hoarders- young couple bought it for like ~150k more than what I payed for my house the street that is 2x the sqft and bedrooms.

they then proceeded to gut it to the studs and remodel it. Easily another 150-200k.

They’re way north of Half a million in the hole for the only one story house in a sea of two stories, that is honestly not worth more than 250-275k in a reasonable world, and only like 325-350k in this bizarre world. I don’t know how you get credit to do this kind of dumb shittery but it’s been impressive.

don’t buy a hoarders house you’ll get hosed in the end. Unless I guess you live somewhere like San Francisco.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I don’t know how you get credit to do this kind of dumb shittery but it’s been impressive.

starting with trust-fund/inheritance, leveraging your existing house, then buying+flipping new ones, using that to leverage more houses for flips, etc. but good, death to flippers

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Willa Rogers posted:

don't need to remediate it in this case. just throw some new coats of flipper grey paint, some new flooring, some farm2table contemporary conformism aesthetic doodads, stainless appliances, spray some air freshener, and take the highest waive inspection/contingency all-cash offer.

but yeah teardown is probably better but the victorian aesthetic adds hundreds of thousands to sf house prices. people pay out the wazoo for it there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

starting with trust-fund/inheritance, leveraging your existing house, then buying+flipping new ones, using that to leverage more houses for flips, etc. but good, death to flippers

Nah these kids live in the place, she’s a stay at home mom and has had like 3 kids in 4 years. I think this is their first home. I don’t think they’re flipping anything. it will take a long time for them to get out what they put in.

they don’t strike me as the types to have inherited wealth either but who knows. they drive very regular utilitarian vehicles and I’ve never even seen the dude in a collared shirt, nor dirty and sweaty from a hard days work so I’ve got no idea what he does for a living.

maybe it’s like Brewster millions but the great uncle is like “You only get my millions if you manage to be upside down north of a million on a house that isn’t even worth half that.”