Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Let's do a 2 year sample.

Jimmy G looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

Jimmy G looking good
If he could reasonably be counted on to stay healthy for a full year he might be the top option.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Diva Cupcake posted:

If he could reasonably be counted on to stay healthy for a full year he might be the top option.

That’s what Baker is for, duh.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Professor Funk posted:

No it wouldn’t. Committing yourself to mediocrity is, in fact, garbage

Better than trading a first+ for it

Diva Cupcake posted:

I have no doubt that you’d much rather they sign Andy Dalton.

I am rooting for them to waste major assets on busted rear end fraudgers

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

A cool play I’d forgotten about, sadly demonstrating that even the better lineman still stink

https://twitter.com/SneakyJoeSports/status/1621492679807737858?s=20&t=3pfLB0eUXX2VVKgt-JEa-A

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/iamSauceGardner/status/1621590304649531392
https://twitter.com/iamSauceGardner/status/1621595257887690752

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 3, 2023

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
As Mcmagic said, Sauce really is a poster

https://twitter.com/iamsaucegardner/status/1621601008630771713?s=46&t=45T2z7P8ZdO1DfhAgHYfrA

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

Look you all said I was insane last year when I said Zach Wilson was a bust and not worth building a season around.

Also; don’t think we said that. I think we said the Jets shouldn’t have given up on Wilson after one year. In hindsight they should have obviously, but their plan with him for 2022 wasn’t really unreasonable. Honestly, they gave up on him pretty quickly for a #2 overall pick all things considered.

I actually think most of us were pretty reasonable about Wilson. We saw some glimmers of improvement early on that he could maybe build on, but that all burned to the ground between the two Pats games. But maybe I’m misremembering!

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 3, 2023

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The refrain was that 2022 was about seeing what the Jets had in Zach Wilson (i.e., building a season around him); I said his rookie season was Rosen tier and we've seen enough. The Jets doubled down on their approach by assembling a ghastly QB room.

It was a bad process and it was very preventable. Just like it'd be a bad process to trade significant draft capital and then take on a $40 million cap hit around the time you need to sign Sauce and Wilson to get a 40 year old QB coming off his worst, most disgruntled season!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

The refrain was that 2022 was about seeing what the Jets had in Zach Wilson (i.e., building a season around him); I said his rookie season was Rosen tier and we've seen enough.

Didn’t you say the same things about Fields and Lawrence?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Didn’t you say the same things about Fields and Lawrence?

No.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

excited about vic fangio and tua's new brain

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Welcome back.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Maybe I’m remembering a more general argument along the lines of “quarterbacks who have a bad rookie year will probably always be bad and so teams would be smart to move on faster.”

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sirtommygunn posted:

I genuinely believe signing Jacoby Brissett is a greater winning move than trading for old bitch Rodgers.

Wtf is going on in this thread?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Maybe I’m remembering a more general argument along the lines of “quarterbacks who have a bad rookie year will probably always be bad and so teams would be smart to move on faster.”

Yea, Josh Allen is pretty much the only outlier when it comes to his rookie season stats and taking a positive jump the second year. Most rookies that are that bad stay that bad.

I was arguing the Jets should dump Wilson last offseason because every single QB who took snaps last year looked way better then he did. Josh Johnson shouldn't come on in relief and throw for 300+ yards and 3 TDs while Wilson didn't have a single 3 TD game.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

syzpid posted:

Yea, Josh Allen is pretty much the only outlier when it comes to his rookie season stats and taking a positive jump the second year. Most rookies that are that bad stay that bad.

Was Allen any worse than Lawrence in his rookie yaar?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Justin Fields was not any better than Zach Wilson by any metric last year so discussion of why the Jets should move on should have also applied to the Bears.

This jury is out if Fields ever becomes a good QB but it’s pretty clear an effective offense can be structure around someone of his skill set. He would also be an extreme outlier.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

tarbrush posted:

Was Allen any worse than Lawrence in his rookie yaar?

Allen didn't have Urban to blame

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Chris James 2 posted:

Allen didn't have Urban to blame

This, and Lawrence still had a nearly 60% Completion percentage at least. Allen was 53% his rookie year. The worst you could say about Lawrence is that he looked like he might not be the generational QB people thought he would be.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Another year of Beasley https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/04/cole-beasley-interested-in-returning-to-bills-in-2023/

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
LOL yeah, that's definitely going to make the difference there! :rolleyes:

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

I'm waiting with baited breath for Cole Beasley to weigh in on whether or not Damar Hamlin died from the vaccine and was replaced by a body double.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://theathletic.com/4154550/2023/02/04/nfl-draft-bryce-young-cj-stroud-panthers-frank-reich/

Howe posted:

The Jets remain poised to acquire a veteran quarterback this offseason to take over the starting job, but they’re still assessing their plan of attack. The names to watch are Aaron Rodgers, Jimmy Garoppolo and Derek Carr.

As for Zach Wilson, the Jets don’t intend to trade their 2021 first-round pick because there’s hope he can develop while learning more in a backup capacity.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

syzpid posted:

This, and Lawrence still had a nearly 60% Completion percentage at least. Allen was 53% his rookie year. The worst you could say about Lawrence is that he looked like he might not be the generational QB people thought he would be.

Lawrence turned the ball over a lot his freshman year, even by rookie QB standards.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I feel like this the same information that's been floating around since the end of the season. They're keeping him because he has no other value.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

FWIW

https://twitter.com/jamiestuarttv/status/1622236980351229952?s=46&t=l-AUe7smbCgIt6N5PhLWYQ

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022

Chris James 2 posted:

https://theathletic.com/4154550/2023/02/04/nfl-draft-bryce-young-cj-stroud-panthers-frank-reich/

As for Zach Wilson, the Jets don’t intend to trade their 2021 first-round pick because there’s hope he can develop while learning more in a backup capacity.

Didn't like the whole Jets organization say, "Zac sucks and is a lovely person" for the last quarter of the season?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Hence he's not going to fetch anything in a trade and they might as well keep him in the hope he gets his head out of his arse

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

From what I read Wilson actually did a lot to be contrite and take ownership for his performance after the benching, so hopefully the locker room stuff is less of an issue now. He just sucks.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 5, 2023

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
Can't wait for next season where Rodgers gets benched for Wilson.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

this makes no sense. Sure I would rather have Rodgers than Carr but I would also much rather have Carr than all the other options. They can't bring loving Jimmy G here and have him get hurt after 3 games......

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah uhhhh wow, when I posted this I wasn't shocked but am now knowing it's the exact priority order (1. Rodgers, 2. Jimmy, 3. Carr) for the team :stare: what da hell

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

It always seemed likely that Jimmy was being carried by the scheme and the playmakers but then you got undeniable proof of it this season. Just loving lmao if any team makes him their guy.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

If all that’s true, their calculation is probably that the gap between Carr and Jimmy G isn’t large enough to push them away from waiting out/swinging for Rodgers at the expense of getting Carr. Maybe that’s not a totally insane eval given the scheme they run and Jimmy G’s relationship with Saleh? But definitely seems wrong to me. It’s a high-wire act for sure. Unfortunately they probably can’t get Rodgers without the high-wire act.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 5, 2023

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

I don’t know if that’s a totally insane eval given the scheme they run

The Hackett scheme?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

It’s a high-wire act for sure. Unfortunately they probably can’t get Rodgers without the high-wire act.
Nania said similar a couple days ago.

https://twitter.com/michael_nania/status/1621493540751646728?s=46&t=v8QuM1UjSHIgcdFcXoaA9g

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

The Hackett scheme?

Yes? There’s going to be some scheme continuity between him and MLF for sure.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

If all that’s true, their calculation is probably that the gap between Carr and Jimmy G isn’t large enough to push them away from waiting out/swinging for Rodgers at the expense of getting Carr. Maybe that’s not a totally insane eval given the scheme they run and Jimmy G’s relationship with Saleh? But definitely seems wrong to me. It’s a high-wire act for sure. Unfortunately they probably can’t get Rodgers without the high-wire act.

There is very little difference between Carr and Jimmy when they both play but banking your season on Jimmy staying healthy is completely insane. The dude literally gets hurt every year. They could be look at Zach Wilson as the starting QB by week 4 of next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

Nania said similar a couple days ago.

And to be clear: it’s going to be absolutely miserable if stuff like this is any indication

https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/1622211667806281728?s=46&t=jS_xnvYw1HDxM7VKpY1Atg