Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
you merely eat the spaghetti

i was born in it, stirred and swirled in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

too bad it's not how language works

language works; however, you want it too

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

language works; however, you want it too!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Centrist Committee posted:

language? works! however, you want it too?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My econ teacher in high school 20 years ago had a real bug up his rear end about unemployment he constantly talked about how unemployment should be at least 5% that 5% is normal and he'd go on about how anything lower was not right for certain reasons that I can't remember. But I still think about him when I see how our unemployment is 3% right now

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
unemployment should be 100%

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My econ teacher in high school 20 years ago had a real bug up his rear end about unemployment he constantly talked about how unemployment should be at least 5% that 5% is normal and he'd go on about how anything lower was not right for certain reasons that I can't remember. But I still think about him when I see how our unemployment is 3% right now

Economists are obsessed with the idea that it is a natural law that some people have to lose because it justifies all the ground up corpses in the machine

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
a lot of pages ago, someone said something good about Obamacare.

Obamacare sucks and has driven up prices because the invisible hand of the market is actually a gout goitered hand of some rich gently caress.

Obamacare is what right of center puts forth to not seem offensive.

20 years ago, “good bennies” or more like “ok benefits” were 100% health insurance coverage from your employer. Now it’s some poo poo tier company self insure.

What changed? The gov’t let the free market dictate what should have been a benefit of being a human.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

To be fair... posted:

a lot of pages ago, someone said something good about Obamacare.

Obamacare sucks and has driven up prices because the invisible hand of the market is actually a gout goitered hand of some rich gently caress.

Obamacare is what right of center puts forth to not seem offensive.

20 years ago, “good bennies” or more like “ok benefits” were 100% health insurance coverage from your employer. Now it’s some poo poo tier company self insure.

What changed? The gov’t let the free market dictate what should have been a benefit of being a human.

you uh seem to have no idea what health benefits were like 20 years ago.

they were also poo poo

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Has someone said 'good benis'?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

NAIRU - the Non Accelerating Inflation Rate of Unemployment - was calculated as 5% or so at some point in the past and no one thinks to reassess that number because NAIRU is nonsense based on other bad economics like the Phillips Curve but

bag em and tag em posted:

Economists are obsessed with the idea that it is a natural law that some people have to lose because it justifies all the ground up corpses in the machine

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Bar Ran Dun posted:

you uh seem to have no idea what health benefits were like 20 years ago.

they were also poo poo

no copays
no deductibles
no monthly cost

that was for an low tier computer toucher

I’m not saying the market is good or something, but it’s observably worse than it was within a given field.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

To be fair... posted:

no copays
no deductibles
no monthly cost

that was for an low tier computer toucher

I’m not saying the market is good or something, but it’s observably worse than it was within a given field.

maybe 40 years ago.

when i started 16 years ago, at a company that comparatively had good benis i didn't get that.
Now my benis have gotten worse but still comparatively better then most, which are poo poo

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
it's all anecdotal anyway

i had a job that had decent benefits that all completely vanished never to be replaced in 2011 because the premiums went through the roof and i was forced onto obama care

and as such I had terrible insurance for about 2 years and then none until 2022

gently caress obamacare, gently caress its supporters, and gently caress all the people who use it as a justification to stop doing anything, which is to say every last democrat and democrat voter

being 'better' than other american/republican options is not and never has been good enough

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
Yeah, my benefits were fine at the beginning but then went down over time. By the time I left the company, it was at a point where the company was self insuring and to have a baby cost 4000$ out of pocket.

They were telling people not to go to the doctor, lol.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
which is why, i dont understand why there aren't at least a handful of companies pushing for M4A.

Obviously if your a health provider or insurance company it will gently caress over your bottom line, but there's gotta be hundreds of CFOs at other companies who are just jizzing at the idea of having the government pay for employee health care so they can give that $1900 a month for a family of 4 back to the shareholders

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

The Nastier Nate posted:

which is why, i dont understand why there aren't at least a handful of companies pushing for M4A.

Obviously if your a health provider or insurance company it will gently caress over your bottom line, but there's gotta be hundreds of CFOs at other companies who are just jizzing at the idea of having the government pay for employee health care so they can give that $1900 a month for a family of 4 back to the shareholders

The healthcare is why people keep their miserable jobs

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

The Nastier Nate posted:

not if it will reduce their ability to threaten their employees with death and disease for quitting or complaining they won't

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Companies will spend any amount of money to not give money to their corpo-serfs.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Employees at NYCT who started in the 80s got a fully funded pension they paid nothing for. Any overtime worked was pensionable and their pension was based off their best salary year. They were eligible to retire after 20 years of work regardless of age. They paid zero into their health insurance which typically had no deductibles.

People who start now pay 6% of their gross pay into their pension, which is based on their base salary only, with some small token amount of overtime being pensionable. They must have 25 years of work and be at least 55 years old. They pay an additional 2% of their gross pay into their health insurance, which is taken at increasingly few places, has 20 dollar copays for most things and 100 dollar copays for ED visits. It still has no deductibles for most plans.

My point is that while the benefits now are quite good and plenty of people would kill to have a pension and a no deductible health insurance for only 8% of their gross income, it represents a steady erosion of what the notion of 'good' benefits are. Over the course of my career I've seen benefits get continually worse and even when you ask the TWU Local 100 leadership what it would take to get a raise above inflation or to push back on any of these cuts they laugh you out of the meeting. Almost everything is done in service of protecting the old guard and keeping overtime flowing instead of things like proper staffing, or paying people enough to live comfortably in this dogshit expensive city without working 70+ hours a week.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Its like the one thing all capitalists agree is a Good Expense

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

500excf type r posted:

Yup. It's also why things will never improve on that front

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

To be fair... posted:

Yeah, my benefits were fine at the beginning but then went down over time.

that’s been happening for half a century easily. The decline of unions and the increasing influence of MBAs are driving a lot of that. Along with neo-liberalism eroding everything.

500excf type r posted:

that was worse with preexisting conditions.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

When I'm sick I go to the doctor, and when I get really sick I go in an ambulance to a hospital. This of covered by my taxes.

But don't worry, my government is working to fix this by defunding the public option and introducing better, market based alternatives.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BonHair posted:

When I'm sick I go to the doctor, and when I get really sick I go in an ambulance to a hospital. This of covered by my taxes.

But don't worry, my government is working to fix this by defunding the public option and introducing better, market based alternatives.

:same: hail Mammon

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I will say that when I had my first kid (for free!), we were put in the special section for vulnerable/troubled parents for reasons unknown. And let me tell you, some of them were obviously poor and as such undeserving of care or help. Clearly a horrible system!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

To be fair... posted:

I donät know anything about Obamacare, but do you think the prices wouldn't've gone up anyway?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

When my kid was born (for free too!) they put us up in the attached hotel for new parents for two days and nights, with classes and poo poo for those that needed it, it was a fantastic arrangement that did immeasurable good for countless thousands of new parents over the last two decades. It's gone now of course, replaced with nothing other than even less staff and fewer beds.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I donät know anything about Obamacare, but do you think the prices wouldn't've gone up anyway?

a perfect two part post. just mastery here.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
As an economist I am convinced parents love children born for free less than those born at great expense.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

that’s what was already happening before they passed it. it doesn’t look like it did much of anything noticeable to trends .

premiums jumped in 09 but that didn’t correspond to a change in the total out of pocket per capita cost trends. (so premiums higher but total costs for the year about the same)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think something else would have shown up instead of Obamacare and it's hard to imagine something worse. The only saving grace it has is the extremely opaque cost sharing reductions that most people don't even avail themselves of

Having the feds call you up to ask you to prove next year's income is just a completely insane system , I'm glad that only happened for a few years

The people who specifically got screwed over were young males, because we had very cheap premiums with just as bad , if not better, deductibles compared to ppaca. But those plans were axed to bring down pricing for expectant mothers, 60 year olds etc. Granted, the 60 year olds were still having to pay 3x as much, it was just "better" for the young guys

The thing that makes me most insane about ppaca was it was explicitly intended to end all workplace insurance, especially union health plans, and only by sheer blind luck that didn't happen. People would have a much different view of it if they all got knocked off their so called Cadillac plans like Obama intended

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 18:46 on Feb 4, 2023

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Orange Devil posted:

As an economist I am convinced parents love children born for free less than those born at great expense.

Not economists, but I’m reminded of how decades ago there used to be a really bad epidemic of babies in hospitals failing to thrive and they thought it was malnutrition or infection and they kept brainstorming and trying poo poo for years until eventually someone had the bright idea of “hey, what if we held them?” and surprise surprise babies like physical contact

I guess what I’m saying is that idiots run the world

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Not economists, but I’m reminded of how decades ago there used to be a really bad epidemic of babies in hospitals failing to thrive and they thought it was malnutrition or infection and they kept brainstorming and trying poo poo for years until eventually someone had the bright idea of “hey, what if we held them?” and surprise surprise babies like physical contact

I guess what I’m saying is that idiots run the world

Malevolent idiots.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

BonHair posted:

Are you British or Canadian?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Here in Norway many highly paid serious responsible men and at least one serious responsible woman are making GBS threads out long screeds on how the public health option and welfare state are clearly unable to function with all their staffing issues and other assorted problems (all of them caused by the gradual defunding of the public option in favor of increased privatisation) and wouldn't you know it, the only solution is increasing privatisation! Only the private sector can solve the case of no one wants to be a nurse/doctor/midwife/careworker/etc FOR SOME REASON that has nothing to do with abysmal pay, restricted right to organised action, insane borderline abusive working conditions.

It is almost funny in a jokerfied way to see the insane mental acrobatics these ghouls go through to never mention pay and compensation as a reason people shun all these careers

Biplane has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Feb 4, 2023

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

We don’t know tbh.

I do know that existing in an area where a service is required (say car insurance) they have you by the short and curlies. The companies who sell it know you have to have it so they hike it. It’s a protected weird thing. You don’t have a choice so there’s no real top to what they can charge.

Obamacare sucks as it’s the typical neoliberal half assed poo poo that gives power to beneficent billionaires since technocrats know everything.

Single payer or bust. Obamacare appeased liberals (see centrists) to the point they could be convinced to declaw any idea of M4A. Insurance companies are parasites, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

In Canada we did huge cuts to corporate taxes and consumption taxes like 15 years ago and everyone is acting like the underfunded public services are some intractable mystery.