Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bumhead posted:

RE7 doesn't need the credit or acclaim of revitalising the wider horror genre. All it needed to do was get Resident Evil back on track.

Resident Evil 6 might have sold well but I think it pulled the trigger on the franchise and could potentially have left it rotting at the side of the road. And I honestly think Capcom were smart enough to realise that too regardless of sales.

RE7 pulled me back in to RE big time. I'm a big fan of exploration and puzzles and not so much action, RE4 honestly turned me off initially because it was too linear and shooter like . 5 I bounced off of immediately and neer touched any of the others. Got RE7 on sale one night and a friend and I started playing it at midnight one night and I was hooked. I love the RE2 remake and the originals, but I think 7 just nails the atmosphere I love, it's my favorite in the series.

Even 8 is a bit too action focused for me, but I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Medullah posted:

RE7 pulled me back in to RE big time. I'm a big fan of exploration and puzzles and not so much action, RE4 honestly turned me off initially because it was too linear and shooter like . 5 I bounced off of immediately and neer touched any of the others. Got RE7 on sale one night and a friend and I started playing it at midnight one night and I was hooked. I love the RE2 remake and the originals, but I think 7 just nails the atmosphere I love, it's my favorite in the series.

Even 8 is a bit too action focused for me, but I enjoyed it.

7 is right up there for me too, and I actually quite enjoy re-playing it which I believe is usually one of the knocks against it, as many seem to regard it as a one-and-done thing. I think it's the closest RE to the vibe of the first game.

RE7 is however the only mainline RE game I haven't bought day one. I was completely out on the series after RE6 despite being with it from the very start, and it took a trusted mate about a month to convince me to get over myself and give it a go. Super glad I did. I've enjoyed everything Capcom have done with RE since to varying degrees.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i fell off resident evil at 4 (i guess i started sliding off at cv) and while i think 6 is extremely fun, it wasnt until 7 that i was really back into it

i guess the revelations spinoffs did a p good job of bridging the gap

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

0 rows returned posted:

i guess the revelations spinoffs did a p good job of bridging the gap

funnily enough, the director of rev1/rev2? koshi nakanishi, the director of RE7

i believe he had an interview or some dev commentary where he mentioned that RE7 was more-or-less what he'd always wanted to do with RE, but brand management concerns led to rev1/rev2 hewing closer to the RE4 model until capcom gave him and the team free rein to do whatever

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bumhead posted:

7 is right up there for me too, and I actually quite enjoy re-playing it which I believe is usually one of the knocks against it, as many seem to regard it as a one-and-done thing. I think it's the closest RE to the vibe of the first game.

RE7 is however the only mainline RE game I haven't bought day one. I was completely out on the series after RE6 despite being with it from the very start, and it took a trusted mate about a month to convince me to get over myself and give it a go. Super glad I did. I've enjoyed everything Capcom have done with RE since to varying degrees.

Yeah I've replayed it at least 5 or 6 times. It's like watching a great movie repeatedly.

Of course it makes it easier to just play and enjoy the story again after you unlock infinite ammo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I haven’t finished RE:Rev1 but I think I would have preferred it if it was a traditional RE game that all took place on the cruise ship, which was a great setting.

I’m a sucker for games (and movies) that trap you in a single location you can only leave by finishing the game. Like the Ishimura or Shadow Moses.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Rinkles posted:

I’m a sucker for games (and movies) that trap you in a single location you can only leave by finishing the game. Like the Ishimura or Shadow Moses.

Oh me too! Racoon City, the Ishimura, Silent Hill, I adore escaping them all

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheAnomaly posted:

My hope on this front is that the Dead Space remake becomes a reboot for the franchise - I think that 2 and 3 really deviate both in feeling and themes. I hope that instead we get a new protag for a new 2, dealing with a different marker. Dead space lore creates a giant universe to set stuff in, and I feel like the story should at least involve more people than one poor dude suffering more and more mental instability.

You can pry Isaac from my old dead hand you heretic.

Remaking 2 with another character wouldn't make sense since it's so tied to Isaac, but I wouldn't mind a new game with a new protagonist. Didn't the mobile game and the light gun game have different main characters?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

sigher posted:

You can pry Isaac from my old dead hand you heretic.

Remaking 2 with another character wouldn't make sense since it's so tied to Isaac, but I wouldn't mind a new game with a new protagonist. Didn't the mobile game and the light gun game have different main characters?

Yes, though iirc the best outcome any of them get is "lobotomized and maybe not also executed".

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Beat the Dead Space remake on hard, was really fun and good. I liked the extra stuff and will have to play on NG+ and Impossible later. The flamethrower was my MVP but I loved the ripper, cutter, and force gun too.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Know what the Dead Space remake is really missing? Media tie-ins. Where's the Downfall remake, cowards?

Although I do remember Downfall being ok. But Aftermath, the second one, the CGI in the frame story is so loving bad it's basically all I can remember of it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Extraction (the "light gun" game) was supposedly pretty good, right?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1621702916745867264?t=7wLqAdNa0WdEkaUv0Dvwnw&s=19

I always assumed the trunk too, huh

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Extraction (the "light gun" game) was supposedly pretty good, right?

Yep. The mobile game actually wasn't too terrible too if you could get used to mobile touch screen controls (I couldn't). Ignition sucked but it was clearly a small side game puzzler so, whatever.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, though iirc the best outcome any of them get is "lobotomized and maybe not also executed".

There are a couple of side-game characters who were never conclusively killed, but I think the only one whose survival isn't left in question is Lexine Murdoch. She gets out clean, albeit widowed and pregnant, at the end of the [i}Severed[/i] DLC for DS2.

I'm always surprised whenever I look up obscure plot details from Dead Space, because there's always some other side game or direct-to-video animated movie I didn't know about.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yep. The mobile game actually wasn't too terrible too if you could get used to mobile touch screen controls (I couldn't). Ignition sucked but it was clearly a small side game puzzler so, whatever.

the mobile game has been delisted from both major marketplaces iirc but got a 3rd party vita port extremely recently; apparently its pretty good. meant to give it a try this afternoon but got sidetracked

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I've gone with upgrading the Pulse Rifle, Contact Beam and Line Gun and man the Contact beam is so good.

I'm up to Chapter 10 and the more Isaac talks the better it gets, it just adds so drat much when people have actual conversations with him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Watching through CarcinogenSDA's DS2 no damage zealot run, and I'm confused by DS2's ongoing popularity. It's even more linear and setpiece-y than I'd remembered...and somehow they turned the senseless dickishness of all the characters up even higher than DS1.

Wanderer posted:

There are a couple of side-game characters who were never conclusively killed, but I think the only one whose survival isn't left in question is Lexine Murdoch. She gets out clean, albeit widowed and pregnant, at the end of the [i}Severed[/i] DLC for DS2.

I'm always surprised whenever I look up obscure plot details from Dead Space, because there's always some other side game or direct-to-video animated movie I didn't know about.

There's also a whole completely abandoned plotline with some sort of EarthGov conspiracy with weird semi-human agents, the Oracles, who for no clear reason are opposed to the Unitologists, but are even bigger fans of pointlessly killing people.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 5, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Watching through CarcinogenSDA's DS2 no damage zealot run, and I'm confused by DS2's ongoing popularity. It's even more linear and setpiece-y than I'd remembered...and somehow they turned the senseless dickishness of all the characters up even higher than DS1.

a lot of it boils down to it looking great for its era and it having an incredibly refined version of what was already a truly great core combat loop. it's not a particularly scary game outside of the general fear of monsters coming at ya, but it is a lot of goddamn fun to shoot through piles of necromorphs in a mad scramble to survive

carcinogen's run is going to look boring compared to a real first run because he knows exactly where everything is going to spawn and how to exploit invisible triggers to do things like reset stalker AI to avoid getting overwhelmed

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
God this new Dead Space slaps. Near perfect remake.

It actually runs pretty well with performance mode and motion blur turned off (PS5 on patch 1.04). It’s definitely not running at 60 frames, but there’s no slowdown or stuttering. What a gorgeous game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I like to think that future scien—UNITology wouldn’t be able to get it together enough to fund an illegal planet cracking operation to try and find the space 747’s in space volcanos.

Really, I think Unitology getting as much focus as it does in the sequels is an understandable but disappointing writing choice since it gives the monsters a face. They’re Umbrella but somehow even worse.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 5, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bogart posted:

Really, I think Unitology getting as much focus as it does in the sequels is an understandable but disappointing writing choice since it gives the monsters a face. They’re Umbrella but somehow even worse.

they're lame as hell in DS3 but i love them in DS1/2 for the reason of them providing the thematic foil to the hell future: the CEC and earthgov want desperate individuals to lead isolated, atomized lives in the service of eternal growth and industry, whereas the unitologists and the brethren moon offer the alternative of a true merger of body and soul - a genuine community, grotesque as it is - as the antidote to a universe of crushing loneliness. unitology does, in a warped way, make sense once you've seen the kind of lives people have to live, and that adds to the horror of the whole business far more than if they were absent

they're maybe a tad perfunctory once the brethren moons show up, but keeping them behind the curtain for most of the three games means you need at least two where there's an outward, less eldritch face to get that idea across

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
earthgov is shown to be run by unitologists in DS2. they're not a marxism metaphor

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

earthgov is shown to be run by unitologists in DS2. they're not a marxism metaphor

i don't recall reading that in DS2 - merely that unitologists had fingers in a lot of pies - and tiedmann's interest in the marker was purely for economic benefit, at least in his rationalization

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The novelization that handled how unitology was created was really decent for a videogame tie in at the time. Did the insanity creep really well. The one where Altman was the main character

E: Dead Space Martyr, that was it. I'd say read it if you like the creep factor of the marker

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 5, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

in non-dead space news, chilla's art has a new game called "the karaoke" out. pretty interesting departure from their usual style: everything's a tad higher res with more realistic-looking models, no haunted PS1 filters, and a more grounded horror story without supernatural elements

i'm glad they're branching out a bit, although i do admit that i prefer that strong aesthetic style they'd done in most of their other work

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Oxxidation posted:

I don't think that's actually true? Unis and Earthgov are certainly in conflict with each other; the opening of DS3 was basically the opening salvo in a war between them.

There's certainly a lot of Unitologists in Earthgov but they are as a body opposed to Unitology.

That being said, I don't think you need to read deeper into Unitology than you would for modern Scientology. It's a cult that promises life after death and a sense of community, it draws people in and milks them for what they're worth, and in the DS2 temple you can find documents outlining the process where people get brought in further to see the "real" Unitology layer by layer.

I mean, it's a cult that can let you talk to dead relatives, that's a pretty neat trick.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Did Isaac really have 0 lines in the original? That was so long ago lmao

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Consummate Professional posted:

No, he actually had plenty of dialogue including many memorable lines such as "EUGHHHH" and "AAURRGHPH"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I believe you're thinking of Saren from Mass Effect 1.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This is the man who shocked the world when he removed his helmet for the first time in DS2.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

he removed his hat in DS1 in the ending, too!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Didn't even need to wait that long, you could spin the camera around in the opening scene before he puts on his helmet.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Rinkles posted:

I haven’t finished RE:Rev1 but I think I would have preferred it if it was a traditional RE game that all took place on the cruise ship, which was a great setting.

Extermination does this until the very end.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

TheWorldsaStage posted:

The novelization that handled how unitology was created was really decent for a videogame tie in at the time. Did the insanity creep really well. The one where Altman was the main character

E: Dead Space Martyr, that was it. I'd say read it if you like the creep factor of the marker

That's because it's written by the great horror writer Brian Evenson and he reconfigures it to be more like Mormonism. (His early work focused a lot on the horrors of Mormon culture, which got him kicked out of Brigham Young University).

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

fez_machine posted:

That's because it's written by the great horror writer Brian Evenson and he reconfigures it to be more like Mormonism. (His early work focused a lot on the horrors of Mormon culture, which got him kicked out of Brigham Young University).

Ahh that's so cool, I didn't know that! Makes a lot of sense

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
PT/Silent Hills is one of those things that will forever be better in our heads rather than in execution. I still long for the reality that the game came out, but it had Guillermo Del Toro attached and I should've known anything remotely Lovecraft he attaches himself to, will die horrifically.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

fez_machine posted:

Is Altman a common name in these kinds of things? He's listed as having written the book, but the book that got him kicked out of BYU was called Altmann's Tongue, and he isn't credited on the first game.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I think a Visceral dev showed up in an old LP thread and said that they were going back and forth on whether Issac should speak in the first game. They decided to keep Issac silent for the first game, then after release they decided they'd made a mistake and had him talk in the sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I always think of some let's play i watched forever ago, where they assumed Isaac was a robot because everyone ordered him around and he never had anything to say about what was going on.