Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Thunder Warrior from the outcast dead never shows up again right? What a disappointing book. Not terribly written, just kinda dull to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I quite liked it. It lacks something in terms of a really concrete and coherent goal and direction, but it's a part of the machinery of the Imperium that's fun to see and there's some descriptions of mass psychosis following Magnus' Big Oopsie that are just phenomenal.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

MMAgCh posted:

They have the omnibus eBook of that Thorpe/Kyme series here if you still need it.

Honour keeper is pretty decent iirc.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Alpharius' primarch book is so good. He's such a prick, I love it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Brutal Kunnin' was great. Some of the editing seems a little wonky, but it was overall a terrific read. I just started on Assassinorum, and that's shaping up as excellent very quickly.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
I was watching YouTube lore video recently on Primaris Space Marines and someone said there was a story where a batch of Primaris were being delivered to their new chapter by the Custodes, only to find out en route that their chapter had turned renegade. The Custodes told them to sit tight while they figured out what to do but apparently the Primaris marines were all “I don’t know guys, maybe we should talk to them and hear them out, negotiate?” And the Custodes were like “nope” and killed the Primaris. Does that sound familiar to folks? Anyone know where I could find that?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It was one of the short stories released in connection with Psychic Awakening: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/04/20/psychic-awakening-consequences/

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

PantsOptional posted:

It was one of the short stories released in connection with Psychic Awakening: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/04/20/psychic-awakening-consequences/

Thank you!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I've always kinda hated that short story because IMO while custodes are supposed to by hyper-loyal they are also supposed to be pragmatic and smart (which is why they get sent out for spy missions and poo poo) and a Custode going "Welp everyone from the chapter including these guys are now guilty of heresy" is the kinda poo poo you see some of the more lovely commisars/inquistors do.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can write transhuman bulging muscles, you can write transhuman insane reflexes, you can write in the second heart and the acid-spit and so on but you can't write a transhuman mind. goes the same for the golden oily boys too

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Custodes don't actually like or trust Astartes, First Born or Primaris. They all come from the same gene-wraught imperfect bullshit that started the Horus Heresy. So if they get even the slightest whiff of Chaos or even a small reason to off a batch of them, they're going to fuckin do it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Bautista as a Thunder Warrior would be amazing. Just saying.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

AndyElusive posted:

Custodes don't actually like or trust Astartes, First Born or Primaris. They all come from the same gene-wraught imperfect bullshit that started the Horus Heresy. So if they get even the slightest whiff of Chaos or even a small reason to off a batch of them, they're going to fuckin do it.

What was the story and chapter where there was a whiff of that and the new primaris knew they were all about to die even tho theyve done nothing wrong and had a whole THING about it?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

I've always kinda hated that short story because IMO while custodes are supposed to by hyper-loyal they are also supposed to be pragmatic and smart (which is why they get sent out for spy missions and poo poo) and a Custode going "Welp everyone from the chapter including these guys are now guilty of heresy" is the kinda poo poo you see some of the more lovely commisars/inquistors do.

I'm pretty sure the Custodes simply told the Primaris marines to surrender their weapons while they investigated, but the Primaris refused.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Chemtrailologist posted:

I'm pretty sure the Custodes simply told the Primaris marines to surrender their weapons while they investigated, but the Primaris refused.

It was this. As soon as there was anything short of absolute and immediate obedience they killed them. It wasn't even so much that the primaris outright refused it was more like "hold on a second let's talk about this" and that was enough for the custodes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
genre savvy, those oily boys are

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

D-Pad posted:

It was this. As soon as there was anything short of absolute and immediate obedience they killed them. It wasn't even so much that the primaris outright refused it was more like "hold on a second let's talk about this" and that was enough for the custodes.

The Custodes explained why, too: astartes are almost always loyal to their brothers first. If a chapter has gone renegade, assume every marine is dangerous until proven otherwise.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chemtrailologist posted:

It was a case of both parties surrendering to their worst instincts and biases

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Improbable Lobster posted:

It was a case of both parties surrendering to their worst instincts and biases

40k.txt

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

The Custodes were right.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

MariusLecter posted:

Bautista as a Thunder Warrior would be amazing. Just saying.

Brock Lesnar too

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bautista should play Valdor.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

We've already established that Bautista will play every single character in the 40k universe.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

We've already established that Bautista will play every single character in the 40k universe.

:hai:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I mean he's already playing Angron in his Glossu Rabban role in Dune.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

Dorn: “Malcador! You cannot speak with the emperors voice as you do not have a big enough head”

Malcador: “And you are not his son. He doesn’t even talk to girls!”

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Demilich posted:

The Custodes were right.
If you assume that everyone will always turn on you and the only punishment is death then the only sensible recourse anyone has to a disagreement with you is violence.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

The Demilich posted:

The Custodes were right.

This is literally never the case. Custodes make actual genestealer cults go "Hey dudes, might wanna be less culty and insular, you know. just saying."

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

If you assume that everyone will always turn on you and the only punishment is death then the only sensible recourse anyone has to a disagreement with you is violence.

It's like that classic Chinese story about a bunch of peasant conscripts in the time of a draconian emperor.

"What's the penalty for being late to the army muster?"

'Death'

"What's the penalty for rebelling against the Emperor?"

'Death'

"Well guess what boys. We're late".

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 4, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Deptfordx posted:

It's like that classic Chinese story about a bunch of peasant conscripts in the time of a draconian emperor.

"What's the penalty for being late to the army muster?"

'Death'

"What's the penalty for rebelling against the Emperor?"

'Death'

"Well guess what boys. We're late".

If I'm thinking of the same time period, said emperor was overthrown when a local equivalent of a sheriff was transporting prisoners to their death sentences. One escaped and the penalty for allowing the escape was also death so the sheriff released the rest of the prisoners and eventually lead a successful rebellion.

Assuming I remembered any of that correctly

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 4, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Arquinsiel posted:

Sephyr posted:

This is literally never the case. Custodes make actual genestealer cults go "Hey dudes, might wanna be less culty and insular, you know. just saying."

The story can be found here

quote:

The world of Khassedur had been their destination through long months of toil and trial, across blazing battlefields and amidst the teeth of ferocious warp storms. Their duty had been to reach it, to deliver the two full companies of Brazen Drakes Greyshields to their newly adopted home world, and to see that Chapter Master Kaslyn accepted the gift of Cawl’s Miracle.

Now, there hung Khassedur, revolving as a grainy three-dimensional image before their eyes.

War-torn.

Ravaged.

Beside it, inescapable, scrolled spools of low gothic strategic reports, warnings and cries for aid. They told a story of heresy, of rebellion, betrayal and destruction. They engulfed Dessima’s vision, making a mockery of all that she and her comrades had endured to get to this point, rendering hollow the hope they had thought to bestow.

quote:

‘Shield-Captain, we do not know the Chapter has truly turned,’ he said. ‘This may be a mistake, some machination of the enemy. We may have brethren even now fighting to restore the honour of the Brazen Drakes on that world. We should aid them, not abandon them! You ask us to condemn our comrades, even ourselves without recourse to proof. I am not in the habit of betraying my battle-brothers.’

‘And I am not in the habit of repeating myself,’ Tyvar replied. ‘Disarm. Command your brothers throughout the fleet to do likewise. Understand the lenience I show you in this, for your Chapter is confirmed Hereticus Diabolus Extremis.’

The designation scrolled across the hololith, repeating beneath the damning seal of the Ordo Hereticus. It could not be an error. They all knew it, even Gerion.

quote:

‘You give us no chance to speak in our defence!’ cried one of Gerion’s brothers, no longer able to hold his silence. ‘These sins are not ours to account for! We have fought loyally and done no wrong, and now–’

The gunshots rang out across the bridge, their thunder in the silence like a hammer taken to a pane of glass. The Brazen Drake who had spoken was thrown flat on his back by the tight burst of mass-reactive bolts. At so close a range, even power armour could not resist their fury. Blood sprayed Greyshields, deck crew and consoles alike.

quote:

‘Brothers, we are betrayed!’ he roared into his gorget’s vox mic, throwing himself sideways as he reached for his own drake-embossed power sword. ‘Consider all outside our Chapter hostile! Seize the fleet!’

quote:

‘You have torn this fleet in two, traitor!’ spat Gerion at Tyvar, as the two warriors pressed against one another’s blades. ‘You have turned on the Emperor’s loyal servants. You have slain my brothers and forced my hand!’

‘The heretical gene-seed within your bodies is its own condemnation,’ Tyvar replied. ‘I am Custodes. I speak with the Emperor’s voice. Were you loyal, you would set down your weapons and accept your guilt. But you side with your brothers before your Emperor, as the Adeptus Astartes always have.’

The Brazen Drakes were given two chances, and instead they doubled down and then tried to take the ships from the Emperor's own.
The Custodes were correct to butcher them all, and I hope they successfully scoured their home world as well
:colbert::smugissar:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Maybe the Imperium aren't the good guys

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Je Téléphone á la Empereur

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Maybe the Imperium aren't the good guys

hosed up if true?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Demilich posted:

The story can be found here
The Brazen Drakes were given two chances, and instead they doubled down and then tried to take the ships from the Emperor's own.
The Custodes were correct to butcher them all, and I hope they successfully scoured their home world as well
:colbert::smugissar:
You definitely got the point of that story, good job!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

All Custodes Are Bastards

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Arquinsiel posted:

You definitely got the point of that story, good job!

I know I did 👍

S.J. posted:

All Custodes Are Bastards

Fully agree

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Spess mahreens being idiots and getting shanked by fancier genetic monstrosities, oh no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you want to depict a grimdark hell society, gotta also have 300 kinds of Cop