Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

They didn't, they set up a platform off the side of the dohyo she got up on. For her cut, they moved the chair very near the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

gently caress

i preferred kinta's coverage and i imagine this will be the impetus for him to retire for real this time

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I wonder if he just does Unlisted videos and then distributed the link via a forum or whatever, instead of having it be searchable on YouTube… could that work? I know it would reach a smaller audience but I don’t know how much he cares.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Chinook posted:

I wonder if he just does Unlisted videos and then distributed the link via a forum or whatever, instead of having it be searchable on YouTube… could that work? I know it would reach a smaller audience but I don’t know how much he cares.

He has a mailing list which he is sometimes more and sometimes less diligent with. I think when Natto showed up he wondered about his niche and started doing more interview translations and recently he started making even shorter digests. If he wanted to keep posting videos he may do it through his mailing list, but I doubt it. I think he enjoys the comments/community of YouTube and of serving as an introduction to a lot of people who don't follow it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Watched Chris sumo's coverage of hakuho's retirement

I honestly would have paid 10k to take a snip. Famous people, singers, prime ministers, and Some White Guy. Got a bit teary at the end because since turning 30 I apparently cry at anything.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gonna be in Tokyo next Tuesday and part of Wednesday as part of a visa run.

Anyone been to the sumo museum there? Just saw it was a thing and besides doing a bit of light shopping thought of hitting it up as I have like 32 hours to kill.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Gonna be in Tokyo next Tuesday and part of Wednesday as part of a visa run.

Anyone been to the sumo museum there? Just saw it was a thing and besides doing a bit of light shopping thought of hitting it up as I have like 32 hours to kill.

No, but at the very least it seems like the neighborhood would be a fun way to spend a couple hours walking around and picking up some dumb sumo poo poo and trying some legit chanko nabe.

https://youtu.be/l206kqgHPGY

Having a personal zabuton to just chuck at people whenever they do something cool would be fun.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I could sign up for the tour of a sumo dojo (i forget the name off hand) but its 13,000 Yen (~$130) for a 3 hr walking tour, and while tempting I kinda want to go do some other stuff in the city given my limited time there.

Having watched the video you linked, yeah I'll definitely just enjoy walking around and being a dork ooohing and aaaaahing at the sumo stuff.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 2, 2023

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mekchu posted:

I could sign up for the tour of a sumo dojo (i forget the name off hand) but its 13,000 Yen (~$130) for a 3 hr walking tour, and while tempting I kinda want to go do some other stuff in the city given my limited time there.

Having watched the video you linked, yeah I'll definitely just enjoy walking around and being a dork ooohing and aaaaahing at the sumo stuff.

Trip report after please and thank you.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Marching Powder posted:

Watched Chris sumo's coverage of hakuho's retirement

I honestly would have paid 10k to take a snip. Famous people, singers, prime ministers, and Some White Guy. Got a bit teary at the end because since turning 30 I apparently cry at anything.

Is Steven Seagal just Some White Guy?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

Is Steven Seagal just Some White Guy?

Yes, but he humiliates himself to a much larger audience and judo gene hasn't choked me until I've poo poo my pants. Yet.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I remember the Sumo museum at Kokugikan was neat, but really small and.. well, I’m not sure what I expected, but I was underwhelmed in a “oh, that’s it?” kind of way.

Not to say it was bad or uninteresting, just go in with expectations of a small area with some cool Sumo artifacts and you’ll be fine.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah for a free thing I'm not expecting much. I found an article on TimeOut that has some sumo related stuff so will see if any of that stuff is still accurate or not as it seems to all be nearby Kokugikan.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The whole kokugikan area is pretty neat. The little indoor plaza next to ryogoku station was pretty awesome — a mock dohyo and a bunch of restaurants clustered around it, if I remember it right.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Bathtime.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Oh man I never knew I needed that but it's so obvious

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Oh man I never knew I needed that but it's so obvious

A bath? Yeah, we've been saying...

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://archive.org/details/jasons-all-sumo-channel-archive
Someone managed to get an archive of "Jason's All Sumo Channel" setup on a torrent.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bentai posted:

Someone managed to get an archive of "Jason's All Sumo Channel" setup on a torrent.

This is :catdrugs: cool and awesome for someone to have done. Both Jason doing the commentary, but also someone archiving it on archive.org.

Also because I missed the 2023 hatsu basho so now can watch that more easily.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 3, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
the kintamayama news sucks dogshit, the association can gargle my piss

the internet archive guy is a hero

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bentai posted:

siiiiiiiiick. i'll seed that for a while.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
FYI MidnightSumo is running some 24hr replays. Right now we are in day 2 of Nov 2022

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

With all these channels getting shut down we really are entering a sumo dark time.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
its funny that in most circles this might mean a rollout of an official way to watch is near, but i dont trust these guys one bit

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
bally sports japan

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
In apropos of nothing, just wishing someone made rikishi figurines in that heavy rubber the 80's WWF figurines were made from. It would be the perfect medium for it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

In apropos of nothing, just wishing someone made rikishi figurines in that heavy rubber the 80's WWF figurines were made from. It would be the perfect medium for it.

If settle for action figures of any kind but yes this would rule.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sumo/comments/10s1r0l/jasons_allsumo_channel_full_channel_archive_on/

The thread on Reddit about Jason's channel archiving.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
My Jason torrent is stalled at 99.9% with 0 seeders :negative:

edit: looks like this is related to the torrent still being in "derive" mode on archive.org, the original uploader is apparently waiting for it to finish and will reupload after some time if it fails

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 3, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jason has made a new channel it seems and was at the ceremony for Hakuho (at least that's how it seems from the first video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfhj2UxZh7o

And also NattoSumo made a telegram set up so only he (or his admins) can post there which is where I assume he's going to post his videos from now on rather than using YouTube.

Someone on the r/sumo discord suggested he use Rumble which is very "LOL"

Edit - Yeah Natto's telegram channel is just all his videos from the past posted there using telegram's video sharing system. no chatting by anyone etc.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 4, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
wtf im not doing that

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i am 100% not endorsing it (hence no link to the telegram channel), just sharing it as news.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
What is telegram?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a chatting app (like AIM/KakaoTalk/Line/WhatsApp/WeChat) that is encrypted and more secure similar to Signal.

Because of it being encrypted and such, the cloud chats and group chats are encrypted between the client and the server, so an ISPs and other third-parties on the network can't access any of the data.

Which, as a result, also means fringe groups use it like ISIS, the far right etc. like to use it as well. It's not the intent of the app to be used by them, but the whole system made it appealing to those sort of people.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Yikes.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Like 99% of the time I hear about Telegram it's from Russian-speaking communities, there's Russian DOTA streamers that have their own groups set up basically instead of Discord servers, and I think my mom is in a bunch of groups that share coupons and like fashion advice or something along those lines. Each server/group is completely isolated from the rest so it's not like you're gonna get exposed to nazis/isis by accessing a Sumo-related one. That being said, that still sounds like a pain in the rear end just to watch videos, I was hoping he'd just keep making new channels, since his monetization is off-site anyway.

Either way, thanks for the update!

Brut fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 4, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Double posting since this is completely unrelated:

Ajigawa, former Aminishiki, has joined the shimpan department so we will be seeing him around the dohyo in March, here he is I believe at the annual FujiTV tournament that just took place (finally back after being cancelled for the last 2 years due to covid)

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1621808919378288640

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Mekchu posted:

Someone on the r/sumo discord suggested he use Rumble which is very "LOL"

Kintamayama sent out an email that he is trying Rumble.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

What's the problem with Rumble, is it full of turbochuds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Bentai posted:

What's the problem with Rumble, is it full of turbochuds?

Yeah from what I understand it's basically a platform explicitly set up to accommodate white supremacists and such that were kicked off of YouTube