Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

More subsidies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

But it'd be a neat play for advanced tegras for automotive or some other poo poo that can be pushed off for a year with a drop-in replacement part too. Just random speculation though.

That’d be wild because Intel foundry services would be stealing design wins from Intel

edit: to be clear I do not mean that I think this makes it less possible to happen…

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

hobbesmaster posted:

That’d be wild because Intel foundry services would be stealing design wins from Intel

edit: to be clear I do not mean that I think this makes it less possible to happen…

Regardless of whether it's NVIDIA it's something that has to happen if everyone is going to believe in your neutrality as a foundry, right? Sooner or later you're gonna be making the product that's killing one of yours, if nobody believes you'll do it why would they even use you?

if they're serious about the custom foundry, that has to be how it works tho. yes, you'll build the product that is crushing your graphics or your server or your mobile ambitions.

honestly this is not the kind of thing that jebaiting your partners over pricing helps either tbh lol. people are gonna be leery enough about knowing that intel fabs are pumping money into intel IP in the long term let alone if they come off as unfairly favoring their IP teams in any way it's gonna be done. nobody believed it before and that was why it always fell apart. this time they're desperate, which can be a good and a bad thing.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 4, 2023

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

wet_goods posted:

I took the voluntary offered in November after ten years of working there, I’m bummed for my friends still there, I feel like plenty more of them would have signed up for the vsp if they knew this poo poo was coming

10 years here too. It's the only place I've worked since graduation.
I got notified that I was being included in the action 2 weeks before the pay cut announcement. I was pretty bummed about it, because I like the people I worked with and the stuff I was working on. And the whole job searching thing is at best an annoying chore, and it can be much worse than that.
This week I've had a change of perspective. I think they may have done me a favor, because I stay on payroll for a while longer and then get a decent severance. Coming out way ahead compared to someone who remains who now wants to do something externally because they're pissed about the pay cut and feeling less optimistic in the company as a whole.

My father in law worked as an EE for IBM his whole career, and then got laid off 6 months before he was eligible for retirement with the (legacy) cushy pension. He ended up somewhere else real quick and has been really happy there, but it shook him badly when it happened. When he tells people he spent nearly 30 years working at IBM, people say "Oh wow, I remember when they were big. Are they still even around?" I wonder if in a few years telling people I spent a decade in my early career at Intel will get the same reaction.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

canyoneer posted:

When he tells people he spent nearly 30 years working at IBM, people say "Oh wow, I remember when they were big. Are they still even around?" I wonder if in a few years telling people I spent a decade in my early career at Intel will get the same reaction.

If it helps I work for Blackberry so imagine how that conversation goes :laugh:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shipon posted:

Have several friends there on the process side, sucks that they get wrapped up in this because there's not really a whole lot of alternatives. Insane that the past two years were spent going "oh poo poo this is actually pretty important lets throw money at the industry" only for the companies to keep doing the same "lol thanks for the money, time to layoff and cut salaries anyway"

I'm 300% talking out my rear end without any direct knowledge of the organization. But from the outside, I think fab is a good place to be actually. Fab is the bit that nobody wants to allow go under. For a while they are intertwined, they are dependent on Intel's patronage to keep their fab occupied, and intel is dependent on their capacity and revenue. if it's successful and they disengage, great, the fabs are fine. if not, the fabs aren't going to be allowed to go under. Nobody really loves CDNA GPGPUs, nobody really loves Sapphire Rapids over Genoa (unless you're the HPC customer they designed their accelerators for), but they get pity contracts, because letting one player dominate stagnates things in the long term. The US isn't gonna let the only major US leading-edge fabs (ok besides TSMC arizona) go under.

x86 is probably also a safe place to be, that's the core IP on the IP side that they'll never kill. I think GPGPU and Altera (that's accelerator and interconnect/advanced packaging departments really) are also strategic plays Intel will have to make, but that's just a guess. gaming dGPU is probably at risk.

I'm sure it's still going to be absolutely brutal, they have to cut so much loving spend over the next X years, layoffs will continue until revenue improves. it's the "amd in 2009 experience" or whatever, they're gonna cut everything. but fab seems like the safest place to be. That's clearly the bit that everyone wants to stay alive.

canyoneer posted:

This week I've had a change of perspective. I think they may have done me a favor, because I stay on payroll for a while longer and then get a decent severance. Coming out way ahead compared to someone who remains who now wants to do something externally because they're pissed about the pay cut and feeling less optimistic in the company as a whole.

I don't think getting out with a severance (vs just constructive termination and no severance?) is necessarily the worst thing either. it's gonna be a dumpster fire overall.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 4, 2023

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm 300% talking out my rear end without any direct knowledge of the organization. But from the outside, I think fab is a good place to be actually. Fab is the bit that nobody wants to allow go under. For a while they are intertwined, they are dependent on Intel's patronage to keep their fab occupied, and intel is dependent on their capacity and revenue. if it's successful and they disengage, great, the fabs are fine. if not, the fabs aren't going to be allowed to go under. Nobody really loves CDNA GPGPUs, nobody really loves Sapphire Rapids over Genoa (unless you're the HPC customer they designed their accelerators for), but they get pity contracts, because letting one player dominate stagnates things in the long term. The US isn't gonna let the only major US leading-edge fabs (ok besides TSMC arizona) go under.

The manufacturing fabs might be sticking around but I wouldn't say it's a great place to be strategically. Especially if you work on anything that resembles a fab limiter. It's not great having to come in to bring the line up at 2am, or showing up on saturday night to run an experiment on a tool for your pilot because you can't get tool time at any other point in the week.

I'm personally expecting the fabs to go through layoffs soon, probably in Q2 once people start coming back from their leaves. They've tried as hard as they can to avoid layoffs in manufacturing or TD, just leaves of absence and cost-cutting. But with how bad things look for fab utilization, they'll probably just look to go reduced headcount for longer term. If you didn't get blessed by "redeployment" then you still have the same number of tools to support, or even more depending on technology ramp, with a lot fewer resources. All of a sudden you're on call every month instead of every month and a half. Or you could be like some other folks I knew and be on call literally at all times, because you're the only engineer for an entire toolset.

I think the one place that's actually safe from any cuts is TD, because they so badly need to be leading edge. So they get to waste a gazillion more test wafers and spend a ton more compared to whatever TSMC apparently gets for their process development. Meanwhile 5 nodes in 4 years is just the old process cadence with some rebranding. There's also a lot of support from other business units to help them succeed, but I've seen that taken advantage of in some pretty obscene ways.

So yeah, they seem untouchable to me, and maybe it's a secure place to be while everything goes up in flames. But then you're stuck working for TD :whitewater:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

cerious posted:

I'm personally expecting the fabs to go through layoffs soon, probably in Q2 once people start coming back from their leaves. They've tried as hard as they can to avoid layoffs in manufacturing or TD, just leaves of absence and cost-cutting. But with how bad things look for fab utilization, they'll probably just look to go reduced headcount for longer term.

I don't think there's a part of intel that isn't going to be shedding personnel for a while.

I think the paycuts probably are an attempt to push off personnel too. they aren't cutting directly as many people as they want to push towards the door without paying severance. They really need to cut a very substantial amount very rapidly here, billions of dollars really.

cerious posted:

The manufacturing fabs might be sticking around but I wouldn't say it's a great place to be strategically. Especially if you work on anything that resembles a fab limiter. It's not great having to come in to bring the line up at 2am, or showing up on saturday night to run an experiment on a tool for your pilot because you can't get tool time at any other point in the week.
So yeah, they seem untouchable to me, and maybe it's a secure place to be while everything goes up in flames. But then you're stuck working for TD :whitewater:

even worse, you'll have to move to ohio :whitewater:

expect no mercy from the wrath of the great lakes combine

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

hobbesmaster posted:

If it helps I work for Blackberry so imagine how that conversation goes :laugh:

Finding phones with physical keyboards is a tedious process these days.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

HalloKitty posted:

Finding phones with physical keyboards is a tedious process these days.

Yup, that with an audio jack is like a unicorn.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm actually very excited about that Sierra Forest thing, the nextmont e-cores in that are supposed to be around ice lake performance per-core, and you get up to like 528 of them or something (on the XCC quad-chiplet package, which may be canceled, but definitely 228 or more or something like that on a 2-chiplet version). fuckoff-huge infinity-core processor is extremely my poo poo lol, that thing would be a fantastic container host etc, and I love Xeon Phi conceptually at least. I loving loved denverton on paper too, but it's just too old these days. But you can throw RDIMMs on that poo poo and it was a super-efficient 16-core Airmont iirc, like a turbo atom that you can stuff 128GB into. I loved Kabini (Athlon 5350) and Airmont and Goldmont, I've always wanted more. Xeon-D was cool too, just way too expensive. It's also Intel's eventual route away from the gigacores that raptor lake/etc have turned into, just much more area efficient. Much like Intel moved away from Netburst... they may eventually move away from Coves, and grow Monts upwards.
I'm not a semiconductor insider guy so I don't really have any specific industry insights. Having inhouse fabs worked well for a long, long time. Dunno if working out the operating model between them and IP is feasible. Seems like it would be a shame to give up TSMC-level margins and then have to bid against Apple for capacity.

As for the cores, I was just thinking the same exact thing recently. Tremont were pretty good for tiny baby cores and Gracemont is a significant boost in IPC and clock speeds, and if Crestmont can repeat that, we could soon be looking at the Pentium M situation with the new core coming from behind.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

lol I guess in Pats open forum in Folsom he described the compensation reduction as a first world problem and said everyone should sacrifice a little more to be a part of the mission and vision

Also if you don’t want to be there because of compensation he doesn’t want you there either

Man didn’t think Pat would speed run being a bigger rear end in a top hat than BK but zero dollar kudos to him

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

WhyteRyce posted:

lol I guess in Pats open forum in Folsom he described the compensation reduction as a first world problem and said everyone should sacrifice a little more to be a part of the mission and vision

Also if you don’t want to be there because of compensation he doesn’t want you there either

Man didn’t think Pat would speed run being a bigger rear end in a top hat than BK but zero dollar kudos to him

Pretty funny for a guy who could only be lured to run the company with the most outrageous compensation package in history

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hiring CEOs from within (or at least ex Intel if desperate) was always praised as part of Intels secret sauce but yeah those days are done

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Pat can kiss my rear end

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was at Microchip when they did the pandemic salary cuts and yea the CEO handled it in the most hamfisted way possible too, it’s definite CEO brain. That guy was shuffled out of the CEO position somewhat quietly later on and the 2nd in command took over and has a bit more people skills although still bad.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Did you watch it? I don’t think that’s what he said at all, but maybe I missed some?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Going off the Blind scuttlebutt. All my friends still there didn’t bother to pay attention once it started. Who am I to doubt the veracity of Blind posts

Supposed to be confirmed on the circuit recording

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Who am I to doubt the veracity of Blind posts

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
So I’m getting the feeling I should buy some AMD stock.

quarterpounder
Nov 25, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Pat can kiss my rear end

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

So I’m getting the feeling I should buy some AMD stock.

And NVIDIA

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

canyoneer posted:

10 years here too. It's the only place I've worked since graduation.
I got notified that I was being included in the action 2 weeks before the pay cut announcement. I was pretty bummed about it, because I like the people I worked with and the stuff I was working on. And the whole job searching thing is at best an annoying chore, and it can be much worse than that.

My father in law worked as an EE for IBM his whole career, and then got laid off 6 months before he was eligible for retirement with the (legacy) cushy pension. He ended up somewhere else real quick and has been really happy there, but it shook him badly when it happened. When he tells people he spent nearly 30 years working at IBM, people say "Oh wow, I remember when they were big. Are they still even around?" I wonder if in a few years telling people I spent a decade in my early career at Intel will get the same reaction.

What sucks is I did really well there, three promos, got stock awards out of cycle, had a huge network inside and with our vendors all over the world, I felt like I accomplished a lot there but ultimately came to the conclusion that leaving was the best choice

Lmao gently caress

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Many, it's depressing reading all this, but hopefully all of you still at Intel, or who recently left, do well at your next jobs.

gently caress Intel, Jesus Christ.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

wet_goods posted:

What sucks is I did really well there, three promos, got stock awards out of cycle, had a huge network inside and with our vendors all over the world, I felt like I accomplished a lot there but ultimately came to the conclusion that leaving was the best choice

Lmao gently caress

Yeah it was overall real good for me, when the corporate chicanery wasn't happening.
An example of sillyness. A friend and colleague got booted in one of the actions a few years ago. Got notified in January, had until mid April to find a new role internally or exit without being eligible for rehire. He found something else (better) internally pretty much immediately. In April, he got his performance results for the prior year as the highest possible ranking, which (at the time) was supposed to be for the top 3% of performers. In May he got a promotion in his new role. Quite the ride.

There's an adage inside the company about job security that "closer to the wafer is safer", which may have been true at some point, but definitely has not been what I've observed.
A good bit of career advice I got early on was "the further you get from the factory, the happier you will be" and I have found that to be true.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if any of our techtuber content creators are going to comment.

I'm not even expecting good takes, just wondering if there's going to be takes at all.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tech Jesus will at least say something like “that sucks” during a news segment.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

"Thanks Steve"

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

For the past ~3 weeks or so, every time I go to the liquor store here in Portland, the line is Intel employees talking about the good ole days and who did/didn't make it. Nothing really to add past that, layoffs suck.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

hobbesmaster posted:

There was actually a decent coverage of it in today's GN news update: https://youtu.be/dkWnvcLcSZQ

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Mental health benefits at Intel would probably be appreciated more than more cash at this point I'm beginning to think.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Clearly the solution is to make Raja the CEO. :downs:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

necrobobsledder posted:

Mental health benefits at Intel would probably be appreciated more than more cash at this point I'm beginning to think.

Uh the cash is the mental health benefit

'mental health benefit' stuff in the workplace is often a sick joke, nothing more than mental wellbeing online pamphlets and trite suggestions such as eating more oranges at home

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Discussing the Intel layoffs and pay cuts with a colleague in the queue for free coffee at FOSDEM, sponsored by Intel: lol.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

power crystals posted:

There was actually a decent coverage of it in today's GN news update: https://youtu.be/dkWnvcLcSZQ

He covered their financials well (and how screwed ARC likely is and what a pity that is) but didn’t talk about Intel’s employees.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I just remember Murthy and he’s probably thrilled that everyone forgot how much they hated him and how much a failure he was

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Uh the cash is the mental health benefit

'mental health benefit' stuff in the workplace is often a sick joke, nothing more than mental wellbeing online pamphlets and trite suggestions such as eating more oranges at home
I mean there's some balance to be had where cash still matters but for my place we basically get free therapy and free healthcare premiums in the US for pretty high tier plans among many other benefits. We tend to trade off cash comp for benefits like these across the company.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Good management is the best mental health benefit

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

wemgo posted:

Good management is the best mental health benefit

Sir, this is America. No such thing exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Imagine loving up so bad that you're downsizing in a market where every customer on the planet will sacrifice their firstborn for product.