Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

VictualSquid posted:

Why would you buy a wok like this, when you could buy an 8kW induction wok instead?

or even better get a turkey fryer and hope the neighbors don't call the firefighters on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

DaveKap posted:

Since nobody else was biting, I looked at this for a purchase but unfortunately realized it's missing the mark on one of the more important bits. The saute pan's lid doesn't have a strainer in it and honestly that's where I need the strainer lid the most.

Any other solutions available?
I'm not sure, I feel like this is the kind of thing where you have to go to a Costco and pop open a box. See the lid the pan is sitting on top of in the first pic? It officially goes with the pot underneath it, but I suspect it may fit the pan too.

What do you need to drain in a sauté pan?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm not sure, I feel like this is the kind of thing where you have to go to a Costco and pop open a box. See the lid the pan is sitting on top of in the first pic? It officially goes with the pot underneath it, but I suspect it may fit the pan too.

What do you need to drain in a sauté pan?
Any kind of meat that has oil I would drain while keeping the meat in the pan for something else. This mostly applies to ground meat for tacos or hamburger helper type stuff. Ever since I got my current pan, it's been a godsend being able to pop the top on, tip it to drain, then plop it back on the stove for the next steps. As for that Costco pan, I'm sure it doesn't have a strainer because the pan itself doesn't have a spout through which things would be able to strain. Not to mention that in the image where the pans are stacked, the lid is inside the pan upside-down to let the ones on top stack. The lid upside-down would show the strainer if it was there. It is not. The fact it took this sort of investigating to know what I was buying is why it took me so long to notice it wasn't what I needed.

I think I'm at the point where I just have to buy everything separately.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 4, 2023

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Use a colander

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah colanders are useful for a ton of things

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
My mom used to have a plastic colander that was pretty much flat, except for a wide depression in the middle. You just popped it on top of whatever pot you want to drain, then hold it in place while you flip everything together to drain.

Bonus: your lids don’t have holes in them, which, they’re lids, they shouldn’t have holes

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just shove the ground beef to one side, tilt the pan, and use a spoon to scoop out the oil into a empty tin can, like my mother taught me. Whatever oil you miss is miniscule and will just get absorbed onto the beef.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just shove the ground beef to one side, tilt the pan, and use a spoon to scoop out the oil into a empty tin can, like my mother taught me. Whatever oil you miss is miniscule and will just get absorbed onto the beef.

My mom taught me that as well; then I found out the metal strainer was way faster and more thorough.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
One time I watched my friend's mom do the tilt the pan" thing but instead of pouring it or scooping it out, she dabbed at it with a paper towel.

And I asked her why she does it that way and she says because it lets her more precisely decide how much fat to leave in. I thought it was kinda smart.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

One time I watched my friend's mom do the tilt the pan" thing but instead of pouring it or scooping it out, she dabbed at it with a paper towel.

And I asked her why she does it that way and she says because it lets her more precisely decide how much fat to leave in. I thought it was kinda smart.

Me doing that but I dip lard into the fat to precisely decide how much extra fat to include

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can definitely melt a plastic colander with hot meat oil, so take caution there.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That's some worf poo poo.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

That's some worf poo poo.

You cook like a P'tak!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Today is a good day to strain!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My pan has a little spout and a lid where there are vertical holes that you can align with the spout. I love using it to drain ramen. I’d probably use a spoon or paper towel for oil, though. It’s a pain when oil gets into the crevices of a lid.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Look, I'm not here to shame anybody about how they do their kitchen things, but you really haven't lived until you've drained your meat with the lid of the pan. You're going to wash the lid anyway, you're going to own the lid anyway, why bother with an extra tool, having to clean a colander, or hoping the meat doesn't fall out of the pan while tilting it to drain the fat? I'm not joking, once you own a pan with a strainer lid, you'll wonder (like me) why the majority of pans don't come with these things.

Lawnie posted:

Bonus: your lids don’t have holes in them, which, they’re lids, they shouldn’t have holes
I find most lids actually do have at least one hole, to let steam out to prevent the lid from popping off from a boil. That aside, the lid turns on the pan. The strainer holes don't "break the seal" if you just turn the lid on the pan. The only time the holes let air/heat out is if they are turned to face the pouring spouts of the pan.

Which reminds me of another reason why having a pan with a strainer lid is great: You get pouring spouts on your pan. This lets you drain the pan w/o having the liquid dribble over the side requiring its own cleanup and causing some wonderful burn-ins on your glass stovetop or flare-ups on your not-glass stovetop.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 4, 2023

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Look, I'm not here to shame anybody about how they do their kitchen things, but you really haven't lived until you've drained your meat with the lid of the pan. You're going to wash the lid anyway, you're going to own the lid anyway, why bother with an extra tool, having to clean a colander, or hoping the meat doesn't fall out of the pan while tilting it to drain the fat? I'm not joking, once you own a pan with a strainer lid, you'll wonder (like me) why the majority of pans don't come with these things.

I find most lids actually do have at least one hole, to let steam out to prevent the lid from popping off from a boil. That aside, the lid turns on the pan. The strainer holes don't "break the seal" if you just turn the lid on the pan. The only time the holes let air/heat out is if they are turned to face the pouring spouts of the pan.

Which reminds me of another reason why having a pan with a strainer lid is great: You get pouring spouts on your pan. This lets you drain the pan w/o having the liquid dribble over the side requiring its own cleanup and causing some wonderful burn-ins on your glass stovetop or flare-ups on your not-glass stovetop.

I don't believe you have ever actually had a problem with any of those. I can't even find a universal lid with holes in the infomercial catalogue so I really doubt anyone has every had a problem with any of those. You'll have the colander out anyway to wash your veg and why why why would you want a lid with holes. Use a towel, parchment, make the lid ajar, use the lid noise to judge how much of a boil you're rolling.

/e- and yes, I had one from a "pasta pot" I was gifted. The silly lid had an egg timer on it too.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

A stainless colander you can toss in the dishwasher solves a lot of problems

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean if you want to hold out for a pan with a straining lid, you do you. It’s going to limit your options though since, in my experience, those are limited to cheaply made sets. But if that’s what you like, do your thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

/e- and yes, I had one from a "pasta pot" I was gifted. The silly lid had an egg timer on it too.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

As someone whose spouse prefers 96% lean and will let me go to 93% as a treat, y’all have extra fat in the pan?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

I've got an 8qt I think it's a Calphalon that I got on sale when the line was being discontinued and it came with a "pasta insert" which I've literally never used for pasta but which makes a pretty decent steamer.

I also own a set of pasta bowls which I pretty much only use for stews and braises.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

As someone whose spouse prefers 96% lean and will let me go to 93% as a treat, y’all have extra fat in the pan?
lol

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I don't believe you have ever actually had a problem with any of those. I can't even find a universal lid with holes in the infomercial catalogue so I really doubt anyone has every had a problem with any of those. You'll have the colander out anyway to wash your veg and why why why would you want a lid with holes. Use a towel, parchment, make the lid ajar, use the lid noise to judge how much of a boil you're rolling.

Short of taking photos, I don't know how else to convince you that I live in a small kitchen where every cabinet is at max capacity for kitchenware. When I'm talking about extra tools, I'm talking about the pan strainer someone posted a photo of. That's such a limited-use item, why not just build it into the lid? And yes, I've had meat fall out of my pan while tilting it to drain. Balancing 2 pounds of meat in a pan while trying to spoon fat out is also not the easiest thing in the world to do.
As for washing veg....

BrianBoitano posted:

A stainless colander you can toss in the dishwasher solves a lot of problems
I do have a metal colander but scrubbing by hand takes a bit to get everything out of the holes, leaving it in the sink takes up a lot of space, and putting it in the dishwasher is also a lot of wasted space and doesn't guarantee a full cleanse. Washing veg doesn't leave debris behind so I can just leave the colander out to dry and I'm done. It is specifically draining meat that gets a colander really dirty and this is where a pan strainer is a godsend.

Democratic Pirate posted:

80% lean is cheaper and there's a bunch of extra fat in the pan. But even lean ground turkey leaves fat behind that needs draining. Having lived on a budget for a few years and having a doctor telling me to watch my cholesterol, every dollar and every ounce of fat begins to feel important. I don't mind if you want to say something like "eating the meat is worse than letting the fat stay in the pan" but if I can help a little, I'll help a little.

I didn't really mean to turn this thread into a conversation/argument about lid strainers but I will insist how much of a quality of life improvement they've been since I've had them.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
For real I think that metal crescent strainer checks all the boxes. Takes up less space than a lid, gets cleaned in the dishwasher better than a lid, isn't difficult to manipulate, and it means you can get whatever pans you want instead of being totally dependent on one variable

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hardly ever find myself needing to drain fat or liquid off a pan (don’t cook with a lot of ground meats I guess?) but when I do I use tongs and a paper towel. Just drop the oily paper towel in a bowl next to the stove and keep on cooking.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I hardly ever find myself needing to drain fat or liquid off a pan (don’t cook with a lot of ground meats I guess?) but when I do I use tongs and a paper towel. Just drop the oily paper towel in a bowl next to the stove and keep on cooking.
Yeah I cook *a lot* of ground meat so this is something I face enough of.

Anne Whateley posted:

For real I think that metal crescent strainer checks all the boxes. Takes up less space than a lid, gets cleaned in the dishwasher better than a lid, isn't difficult to manipulate, and it means you can get whatever pans you want instead of being totally dependent on one variable
I get what you're saying but the pan is going to need a lid for cooking anyway, the crescent is an additional space-taker no matter what. It may not be difficult to manipulate but you're still holding most of that pan weight in one hand.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 4, 2023

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think it has to do with temperature too. I cook with higher heat than most other people I’ve seen cook and I don’t recall ever having to drain anything off. When I do cook ground meat I’m trying to brown it, not just take the pink out. This evaporates any liquids very quickly and is above the smoke point of most animal fats so I think most of the excess turns to smoke and gets exhausted.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Why are you using the lid to cook ground beef? If you want to steam it for whatever reason, it seems easier to do in the microwave

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Why are you using the lid to cook ground beef? If you want to steam it for whatever reason, it seems easier to do in the microwave
I mean, this isn't exclusively the reason I need the lid but I think it's a decent answer:

Pans have lids. Y'all making me feel crazy for believing this.

tonedef131 posted:

I think it has to do with temperature too. I cook with higher heat than most other people I’ve seen cook and I don’t recall ever having to drain anything off. When I do cook ground meat I’m trying to brown it, not just take the pink out. This evaporates any liquids very quickly and is above the smoke point of most animal fats so I think most of the excess turns to smoke and gets exhausted.
I definitely don't do this.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 4, 2023

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I just feel crazy since I never really have anything to drain as well, even at 80%. You may want to use a wider pan so it is less crowded. If you're getting the 67 or 73 lean I think I'd get the 80 unless you want the fat for something else.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Use a straw and suck up all that delicious rendered beef tallow

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

DaveKap posted:

having a doctor telling me to watch my cholesterol, every dollar and every ounce of fat begins to feel important.

Most of the cholesterol in beef is in the muscle tissue

You need to eat less meat if you want to lower your cholesterol

https://www.livestrong.com/article/523419-nutrition-information-for-drained-ground-beef/

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-lz1f04focus185840-lean-vs-regular-ground-beef-clea-2009mar04-story.html

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I just feel crazy since I never really have anything to drain as well, even at 80%. You may want to use a wider pan so it is less crowded. If you're getting the 67 or 73 lean I think I'd get the 80 unless you want the fat for something else.
When I brown ground beef, I cook until the moment I see the last of the pink disappear. My pan is just slightly larger than the "large" burner of a glass stovetop so 1 pound of ground beef is spread pretty evenly across the surface with all the individual crumbles touching. I wouldn't really consider it "crowded." I'd concede that that my heat is just lower than other folks are using but everything cooks appropriately when I'm following recipes so I don't think that's it. Either way, I'm not about to start charring my ground beef to compensate for not wanting to drain it.

Okay we've sufficiently derailed from what I was asking for. I'll just buy stuff separately.

And before anyone worries about my health, my cholesterol levels were "increasing" not "at a bad point." Most of the problem was not exercising, which I've since fixed. I'm a skinny nerd from a family that doesn't have a history of cholesterol problems, I'm not dying.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 4, 2023

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

tonedef131 posted:

Pretty sure your pan isn't reaching the smoke point of animal fats, while it still has food in it. So the fat doesn't evaporate or smoke out. It may splatter out though!

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

You can definitely melt a plastic colander with hot meat oil, so take caution there.

On the bright side, ruining a plastic canning funnel with freshly rendered animal fat of some sort (I forget what kind) forced me to finally bite the bullet and get a stainless one.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

DaveKap posted:

I didn't really mean to turn this thread into a conversation/argument about lid strainers but I will insist how much of a quality of life improvement they've been since I've had them.

My mother in law had a set of those so I got to use them for three months last winter while I was cooking for them. I agree. Not enough that I'm going to replace my current set but I can see the point.

These are cool too but the one we have is lighter and flexes enough that it doesn't feel secure when draining a heavy pot. Part of the "and with your third hand..." problem.

JoshGuitar posted:

On the bright side, ruining a plastic canning funnel with freshly rendered animal fat of some sort (I forget what kind) forced me to finally bite the bullet and get a stainless one.

Also works with hot maple sap and nylon strainers. Downside was that I had to throw out the sap that had nylon dissolved in it. Not sure what I was thinking.

Speaking of maple sap, still trying to figure out wtf is going on with our induction cookers and cookware while finishing off the syrup. The hotplate bought last year barely gets the 16 litre clad bottom Costco pot up to simmer, but the old one from ~2008 gets it up to a vigorous boil. Not as vigorous as the single walled 10 litre stock pot which works best on either burner. The fridge magnet test pad included with last year's burner sticks to the bottom of the 16 litre but not to the 10 litre. I have no idea how these magic pixies work. :shrug:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I imagine this comes down to preference and/or what you're physically capable of doing but any time I need to drain anything from a pot but I don't want to use (or don't have) a colander, I just crack the lid 1/4" and dump it.

I guess if the pot is hot I wear oven mitts but it doesn't require a special lid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Has anyone ever tried those little rollers you stick on the bottom of kitchen appliances to slide them around? They look tempting but when I think about it, almost all of my heavier kitchen appliances are things that I don't think I'd actually want easily moved. Like who knows what'd happen if I put wheels on a vitamix, it'd probably destroy the house or something