Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Darth Walrus posted:

I think you can certainly argue that Russia needs to be put under a certain amount of pressure in order for it to start taking negotiations seriously. The question is whether there are better, less dangerous ways to apply sufficiently meaningful pressure than 'gently caress it, let's give a bunch of neo-Nazis our most advanced weaponry and training, I'm sure this won't backfire like it did all the other times we tried this'.

Most of the people fighting in the war on the Ukrainian side are not neo-nazis, hth. I mean yes there was the (now-demolished) Azov battalion and I'm sure there are some other far-right assholes in the army as it in every army, but that's completely insignificant compared to the hundreds of thousands of ordinary Ukrainians fighting.

I bet there are far more far-right nationalists on the Russian side, given the sort of people who are attracted to the conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Probably fewer per capita now they've resorted to drafts, though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
well and the prisons

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Darth Walrus posted:

'gently caress it, let's give a bunch of neo-Nazis our most advanced weaponry and training, I'm sure this won't backfire like it did all the other times we tried this'

Works fine for rural American police departments!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I think you can certainly argue that Russia needs to be put under a certain amount of pressure in order for it to start taking negotiations seriously. The question is whether there are better, less dangerous ways to apply sufficiently meaningful pressure than 'gently caress it, let's give a bunch of neo-Nazis our most advanced weaponry and training, I'm sure this won't backfire like it did all the other times we tried this'.

Could we not conflate the general Ukrainian military force with neo-Nazis? There is that contingent and sadly some of their most elite troops are Nazis but there are a lot of decent people being supplied with weapons to defend their homes and they don’t deserve to be lumped in with Azov. Especially when Russia has far more Nazis.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean if you're concerned about neo-Nazis getting advanced weapons groups like Wagner and Rusich are pretty openly filled with neo-Nazis and also deeply embedded in the Russian military which, you know, has quite a lot of advanced weapons. Arguably giving Ukraine weapons is going to end up with a net reduction in the number of neo-Nazis with access to advanced weapons.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I helped a Ukrainian lady move into a house in the village with her two little kids. She's like 30? Her husband who works with my neighbour in some tedious IT job isn't here because he's essentially conscripted into the Ukrainian military. She doesnt seem like the sort to marry a nazi.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/SangitaMyska/status/1621982921086083076

And I Would Have Gotten Away With It Too, If It Weren't For You Meddling Left-Wing Economic Establishment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Remarkably close to "reality has a left wing bias" there. The economy is too drat left wing and that's why my ideas about how it should work actually broke it.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

OwlFancier posted:

Remarkably close to "reality has a left wing bias" there. The economy is too drat left wing and that's why my ideas about how it should work actually broke it.
'Another former cabinet minister and colleague of hers says that "she reckons the government is not a Conservative [government], it's a social democratic government"'

:psyduck:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Where the gently caress do you even start with “ I was brought down by the lefty financial sector” lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that's true when you are convinced the world actually runs according to the von mises institute.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

Could we not conflate the general Ukrainian military force with neo-Nazis? There is that contingent and sadly some of their most elite troops are Nazis but there are a lot of decent people being supplied with weapons to defend their homes and they don’t deserve to be lumped in with Azov. Especially when Russia has far more Nazis.

I'll stop conflating them when the people training and arming them enact a basic goddamned filtering process rather than using them for publicity and celebrating them as heroes. Until then, we're in the queue for the world's most predictable trained, organised upsurge of far-right violence in the next few years because the powers that be decided that a fascist invasion could be more effectively countered by arming more fash rather than weaning themselves off the fossil fuels (and money-laundering services) that are paying for it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Man you're going to be shocked when you look at the British military

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

This post is for the brave boys of the mujahideen. Hope they enjoy the stinger missiles.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Man you're going to be shocked when you look at the British military

Pointing out that the British military is also stuffed with fash in order to defend capital isn't exactly an argument for more of the same.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Pointing out that the British military is also stuffed with fash in order to defend capital isn't exactly an argument for more of the same.

But British military assistance is coming from existing British military stocks, which means less weapons for British fash. Seems like a win!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pablo Bluth posted:

https://twitter.com/SangitaMyska/status/1621982921086083076

And I Would Have Gotten Away With It Too, If It Weren't For You Meddling Left-Wing Economic Establishment.

This is so good. I can only dream of being as disconnected from reality as Liz Truss blaming the notoriously left-wing City spivs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reducing UK dependence on russian energy supplies is the sort of thing that would need to have been started years ago, not, I think, something that can be done in response to the invasion. Without the weapons there would not be much of a war to pull funding for.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

Reducing UK dependence on russian energy supplies is the sort of thing that would need to have been started years ago, not, I think, something that can be done in response to the invasion. Without the weapons there would not be much of a war to pull funding for.

Maybe a decade or so ago
https://twitter.com/mlanetrain/status/1556381583585804291?lang=en

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's one of many excellent arguments for starting it now, sure, but I don't think it's a good argument right now for not providing military support. And the military support might still be necessary even if we were in the alternate history timeline where the world had moved away from russian oil and gas, as I somehow doubt the people in charge would have just quietly collapsed. If anything, decline seems to make countries behave even more stupidly than normal.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 4, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, it's not like we didn't have a couple of decades of warning that (a) spending money on fossil fuels was bad, and (b) giving fossil fuel to folks like Vladimir Putin and the Saudi royal family was even worse. I think that we can still slam the folks in charge for short-sighted greed here.

That does remind me, though, of Yemen. I don't think there's any British political tendency of any significant size going 'arm the Houthis' at the moment, is there?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I'll stop conflating them when the people training and arming them enact a basic goddamned filtering process rather than using them for publicity and celebrating them as heroes. Until then, we're in the queue for the world's most predictable trained, organised upsurge of far-right violence in the next few years because the powers that be decided that a fascist invasion could be more effectively countered by arming more fash rather than weaning themselves off the fossil fuels (and money-laundering services) that are paying for it.

lol your an idiot

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We've never been dependent on Russian energy. But we can't insulate ourselves from global market turmoil because everyone else switching away from Russian oil and gas is pushing up demand on our suppliers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like the big issue with a lot of historical examples of arming people is that the people being armed at the moment are just the already existing ukrainian army and government, which already had quite a lot of weapons and soldiers beforehand, rather than being a small group of hyper religious fundamentalist lunatics.

I think if there is going to be outbreaks of uncoordinated violence post-war it's probably going to have more to do with the chaos caused by the actual invasion than by the ukrainian army having more guns than normal.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol your an idiot

*you'd

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

Being fair, I find it difficult to imagine that if aliens invaded earth tomorrow that a lot of governments wouldn't immediately suggest handing them a PFI contract rather than attempting to turn the country into a state controlled military powerhouse.

"Oh, it's a cookbook? Cool. How many proles do you want per shipment and what are you offering in return?"

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Trending in United Kingdom
Liz Truss
21.4K Tweets

Trending in United Kingdom
ISIS
12K Tweets

Playin' the old hits.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Runcible Cat posted:

"Oh, it's a cookbook? Cool. How many proles do you want per shipment and what are you offering in return?"

Ruthanna Emrys, who I must assume from the name is from the UK and no I will not look it up, is a bit fond of "benevolent advanced aliens who don't intersect very smoothly with the earth political situation"

A Half Built Garden is a standalone where an alien federation arrives after we've gotten climate change under control at the last possible moment and want us to leave our planet and join their Dyson sphere, by force if necessary

none of this is particularly a spoiler, it's in the first 20 pages

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Ruthanna Emrys, who I must assume from the name is from the UK and no I will not look it up, is a bit fond of "benevolent advanced aliens who don't intersect very smoothly with the earth political situation"

A Half Built Garden is a standalone where an alien federation arrives after we've gotten climate change under control at the last possible moment and want us to leave our planet and join their Dyson sphere, by force if necessary

none of this is particularly a spoiler, it's in the first 20 pages

Attention all planets of the solar federation: we have assumed control, we have assumed control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBivfBCPZow

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like the big issue with a lot of historical examples of arming people is that the people being armed at the moment are just the already existing ukrainian army and government, which already had quite a lot of weapons and soldiers beforehand, rather than being a small group of hyper religious fundamentalist lunatics.

I think if there is going to be outbreaks of uncoordinated violence post-war it's probably going to have more to do with the chaos caused by the actual invasion than by the ukrainian army having more guns than normal.

I suggest reading this 2021 Time Magazine expose. The transatlantic far right are 100% using the Ukraine war as a training camp, and at the heart of it are units that NATO and the Ukrainian government have been lionising as heroes.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 5, 2023

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

This is a total straw man. No one (we’ll probably someone but not many people) is (are) saying all glory to the Nazis. Again you’re conflating the Ukrainian military force, including until-recently civilians, with nazis. Yes we all know there’s a fash element, it sucks, and when they’ve been key players (Mariupol) there has been some uncomfortable veneration of their most prominent unit for their role.

But you can absolutely gently caress off with this ‘arming Ukrainians = arming fash’ bullshit you absolute oval office.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

This is a total straw man. No one (we’ll probably someone but not many people) is (are) saying all glory to the Nazis. Again you’re conflating the Ukrainian military force, including until-recently civilians, with nazis. Yes we all know there’s a fash element, it sucks, and when they’ve been key players (Mariupol) there has been some uncomfortable veneration of their most prominent unit for their role.

But you can absolutely gently caress off with this ‘arming Ukrainians = arming fash’ bullshit you absolute oval office.

Again, they're not putting any effort into making sure they're not arming Nazis, which has ended up giving Nazis free reign to set up a large and sophisticated international radicalisation, recruitment, and training pipeline with Ukraine as its heart and NATO providing free publicity and funding. Do I really need to spell out why this is a pretty goddamned serious problem, and why I might personally have an issue with people downplaying and minimising it?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The fact that both Truss and Johnson are visibly preparing comebacks tells you so much about the trajectory of Sunak's leadership lol.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Pistol_Pete posted:

The fact that both Truss and Johnson are visibly preparing comebacks tells you so much about the trajectory of Sunak's leadership lol.

And the number of amazing leader options the party has.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Pistol_Pete posted:

They just look down on him. No respect, these people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Again, they're not putting any effort into making sure they're not arming Nazis, which has ended up giving Nazis free reign to set up a large and sophisticated international radicalisation, recruitment, and training pipeline with Ukraine as its heart and NATO providing free publicity and funding. Do I really need to spell out why this is a pretty goddamned serious problem, and why I might personally have an issue with people downplaying and minimising it?

Do you have any idea how much you sound like a Putin shill right now? Even if everything you say is accurate, we are at worst arming and training one gang of fash to stop a larger gang of fash with nuclear weapons building an empire by conquest that will wind up on our own border. If Putin takes Ukraine he isn't even going to bother lying like Hitler did about the Sudetenland. He's going to continue with his long term plan of hoovering up all the other former Soviet republics that aren't already part of NATO. Unlike Ukraine these countries are too small to effectively resist with any Western help short of direct military intervention - and that means World War 3.

As for Ukraine: what exactly do you think they're going to do with their newly trained army if they win? Invade Belarus? gently caress no. They'll be constantly preparing for the Russians to come back, but that's all they could do. They'll know that if they get belligerent the support they got as brave defenders will vanish in the first breeze, and it won't return when a bunch of Z-marked tanks trundle back into the Donbas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/MirrorGemma/status/1622020301235044356

Tories want slaves