Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I had 20,000 gold lying around and saw neo draft and thought "oh i guess i could convert my gems to gold"

2-3, 4-3, four of those losses were blowouts by Fall of Lord Konda, saw that card more this weekend than back in the original days lmao, also a loss to Nashu, Sage's Scion

Not the best gold to gems exchange rate lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I'm sitting on my cache for ONE, looking forward to getting more toxic than this forum.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hellqueue has been a lot more hellish lately. Just the past couple days my Baral has seen a lot more Kinnans which I still beat half the time, and a LOT more Emry players which I beat probably less than half because they always have it and those discounts on her cost are brutal.

I'm especially proud of this win from a minute ago though. The opponent played Big Chandra against my completely empty board, and I wound up with 4 Chandra damage emblems. I had to flash in a Nimble Obstructionist, use Sublime Epiphany to bounce his Chandra and duplicate my Obstructionist, cast Discontinuity to exile his Chandra, and then use Mystic Sanctuary to get my Sublime Epiphany back and duplicate Obstructionist a second time so I could outrace the emblems. Barely made it:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
What's the new set looking like? Havent played in over a month, might feel refreshed enough for a return

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's a bit early to tell since the prerelease just happened, but i've heard very positive things about the limited environment. unsure about what people are brewing for constructed

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

fridge corn posted:

What's the new set looking like? Havent played in over a month, might feel refreshed enough for a return

I think standard is going to get shaken up a bit. There are some really powerful constructed decks coming down the pipe (specifically Simic poison with Rotpriest)

Edit:

Esper Superfriends / proliferate

Esper Legends is getting a powerful 1 drop with Skrelve

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
All that sounds good cuz I plan on only playing limited and avoiding constructed entirely haha

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Very fun limited, kinda think it'll be fun in constructed too? Blue didn't seem great on its own in limited because seemed very reliant on combos and synergy with other mechanics to really work, but in constructed I can see it being very scary. My sealed packs had like 6 blue draw spells I couldn't use or rely on but seems like a blue backed proliferate and corrupted deck could have some legs to me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's some tools in it that definitely make me want to do superfriends and i already have like four or five hbrawl decks to brew

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

I don't know how possible it will be once more reps are into the format, but I saw a couple people pop off during the streamer preview just getting a couple of poison counters on with early creatures and then proliferating the last 7-9 counters.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

flatluigi posted:

it's a bit early to tell since the prerelease just happened, but i've heard very positive things about the limited environment. unsure about what people are brewing for constructed

Monored is dead and they're absolutely obliterating (:V) the corpse

But yeah, it looks like there are a few big impact points incoming; a couple of good control finishers, toxic/poison both in aggro and combo form, and several big token synergy things which I suspect will go into Soldiers.

There's a lot of good green stompy stuff too, but I suspect it all gets shut down by the aforementioned Obliterator/Sheoldred/Vindicator which makes anythign that relies on hitting face and damage based removal just weep in a corner.

I suspect there's a red/blue deck out there somewhere too, and maybe an All Will Be One proliferate deck - maybe they're the same?

The limited format looks pretty interesting to me but from watching a couple of bits of the prerelease looks absolutely fuckin LIGHTING fast. Aggro with Toxic is brutally quick and as noted, proliferate (and just things applying poison directly) can get you over the line when in any other format a big booty and some lifegain might stabilise the opponent.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Monored and Green basically has to maindeck a playset of Mightstone and Weakstone and even that might not be enough.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Saucer Crab posted:

I don't know how possible it will be once more reps are into the format, but I saw a couple people pop off during the streamer preview just getting a couple of poison counters on with early creatures and then proliferating the last 7-9 counters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_AHzJ0zGf8

Jump to 25:30 to watch Simic poison go off.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

SalTheBard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_AHzJ0zGf8

Jump to 25:30 to watch Simic poison go off.

LegenVD also made a poison deck which seemed to roll over a lot of decks in green/white (CGB's simic deck still looks better) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCplrt0LMzY. It also looks like a powerful archetype in limited.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

There is also a Gruul counters deck that mostly uses oil counters to power the Filigree Sylex. I haven't seen a complete list yet, but it looks like Gruul Aggro, buildup to 10 oil counters and send 10 points of damage to face.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
prerelease codes

edit: rip

wei fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 5, 2023

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
both gone

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
3664F6B89C2EE33E1DF5A06DA

If anyone wants my leftover prerelease code :)

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The March Hare posted:

3664F6B89C2EE33E1DF5A06DA

If anyone wants my leftover prerelease code :)

Claimed! Thank you

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

What do the prerelease codes get you?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
A couple of boosters from the set.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

What do the prerelease codes get you?

Another day older and deeper in debt

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Nice of Wizards to sell the alternate art Channel and Natural Order in the store so I can play it in uhh...

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zero VGS posted:

Nice of Wizards to sell the alternate art Channel and Natural Order in the store so I can play it in uhh...

gladiator and other direct challenge formats

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

gladiator and other direct challenge formats

Hey I've got a direct challenge for ya... name a format someone's actually heard of

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
gladiator's fun and is currently the only fanmade format to get a showcase on arena (twice!)

i recommend it if you're okay with getting on a discord and socializing w/ other people instead of queuing against faceless randos

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm still enjoying Jump In. I've done four different deck combos at this point, and apart from the first one which was butts they've been enjoyable.

The latest is this one. A nice little aggro deck that lets you start getting damage in quickly while keeping the opposition limited in what they can put and keep out. The one time I lost with it I didn't get the right cards for the curve and couldn't control what was on the board, and this deck isn't able to "catch up." Most of the time the balance of the deck felt very good, however. And I didn't realise it/couldn't see it just reading the cards before I played them.

I don't know if it's the meta of standard, limited, or just Jump In at the moment, but I've had most enjoyment with some base of black decks. I'm not an edgy teenager wanting dark and scary cards, but I do like the risk/reward aspect of the decks. It seems like there's upsides and downsides to everything you're doing—right there plainly on the cards—and the focus is on how you manage your own situation more before focusing completely on the opponent. Some of the other decks I've played have been about pumping up your own cards, complete control over what the opponent does, or simply getting out big bombs. The black decks seem to have been about flow and balance to themselves. It's quite nice. And something I might look towards in a Standard deck.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Black is also easily my favorite color, I loving love sacrificing my own stuff

I'm especially a big fan of Shambling Ghast, such a wonderful one-drop. A big reason to play Alchemy over Standard for the decks that really want it (e.g. my zombie one) - it's not legal in Standard anymore, having first been printed in the DnD set (AFR) which has rotated out, but it got reprinted in the Alchemy-only set HBG, which is Alchemy legal.

Just in case you are wondering if you should make a Standard or Alchemy deck, and why some cards show up as playable in one and not the other despite looking "normal".

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

gladiator's fun and is currently the only fanmade format to get a showcase on arena (twice!)

i recommend it if you're okay with getting on a discord and socializing w/ other people instead of queuing against faceless randos

I’d love to see Gladiator get its own queue or at least come back as an event more frequently.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
what on earth is this basic swamp in the daily deal today?

edit: oh it's a phyrexian text land. Serves me right for mousing over it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SwissArmyDruid posted:

what on earth is this basic swamp in the daily deal today?

phyrexian text, I imagine we'll see the rest of the cycle in the next few days

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Black is also easily my favorite color, I loving love sacrificing my own stuff

I'm especially a big fan of Shambling Ghast, such a wonderful one-drop. A big reason to play Alchemy over Standard for the decks that really want it (e.g. my zombie one) - it's not legal in Standard anymore, having first been printed in the DnD set (AFR) which has rotated out, but it got reprinted in the Alchemy-only set HBG, which is Alchemy legal.

Just in case you are wondering if you should make a Standard or Alchemy deck, and why some cards show up as playable in one and not the other despite looking "normal".

There was something extremely satisfying playing ghast turn 1 and deadly dispute on turn 2, ramping or killing their 1 drop

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
only the one swamp had phyrexian text in jumpstart, none of the other land types did.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
That line through the Phyrexian alphabet is kinda redundant since its on every single letter. Think of how much ink we could be saving them if they knew that.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I predict people are going to get really sick of poison very quickly

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

PhilippAchtel posted:

Remember in Kaldheim when there was literally one card that made it relevant and people were complaining all over the place about it? Good times.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gotta be sick of something each meta! I only experience one sealed draft on ONE so far but it seems like it'll be a pleasantly fast meta for Limited at least. I've no experience brewing standard decks, but I definitely want to squeeze Mondrak, Gloryhole into my selesnya tokens deck. Maybe a Skrelv's Hive and a Mom too?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

PhilippAchtel posted:

that's how poison works

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They'll be sick of corrupted earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Whooping Crabs posted:

that's how poison works

:lmao:

Corrupted seems pretty important, so much stuff has Toxic that it's easy to get there without necessarily needing to draft around it.