Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my Pixel 5 is beginning to show its age and was looking at stuff for the P7 when I saw Google Fi plans. I'm paying $70/month for unlimited through T-Mobile, but I see there's a $50 (plus taxes, but probably still less than $70) unlimited plan through Google. do people like Google Fi? does it get good coverage? I don't know anyone irl who has it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

my Pixel 5 is beginning to show its age and was looking at stuff for the P7 when I saw Google Fi plans. I'm paying $70/month for unlimited through T-Mobile, but I see there's a $50 (plus taxes, but probably still less than $70) unlimited plan through Google. do people like Google Fi? does it get good coverage? I don't know anyone irl who has it

You might want to ask in the "recommend me a phone and/or a plan" thread about that specifically. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3026166

My own impression is that Google Fi kind of sucks and I would personally avoid it, but that's based on what I have picked up here and elsewhere and is not something I'd argue too vehemently.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
My Pixel 4 started displaying the "problem reading battery meter" notification the other night. Is it time for a new battery or is this something I can fix? I looked around a bit and tried clearing the cache of the Settings app, but it didn't seem to work.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You might want to ask in the "recommend me a phone and/or a plan" thread about that specifically. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3026166

My own impression is that Google Fi kind of sucks and I would personally avoid it, but that's based on what I have picked up here and elsewhere and is not something I'd argue too vehemently.

okay roger, I'll ask there. thanks, pal

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Google Fi was awesome like 6 years ago when we were traveling abroad a lot. $10/GB is hard to swallow in 2023, though. We switched to US Mobile and are paying $30/line/month for unlimited.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Kwolok posted:

So I pulled the trigger on the pixel 7 pro. I'm new to curve displays, can/ should I put a screen protector on it?

I've never used a screen protector on any of my phones, and my P7P display which I got at launch is still flawless. I always use a case with a decent lip on the front, and I'm very particular about making sure they're not around anything that could scratch it. Phone lives in the right pocket of my work scrubs or pants or coat, keys/pager/change in the other. Phone always has a dedicated space because I'm super afraid of getting a scratch.

If you're as obsessive as me you could probably go without a protector. I am probably an anomaly though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I had a micro scratch on my 7 Pro 4 days after I got it. I'm not even sure it actually even made it into my pocket during that time.

The only way you can see it is if a very bright light hit it at an angle. I've had such scratches on phones after a year of use and it hasn't bothered me, but getting it so early kinda spooked me.

I'm looking forward to see if Victus 2 improves on this at all.

At the very least, the TPU protectors have gotten a lot better in recent years. No orange peel and self healing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mental Hospitality posted:

I've never used a screen protector on any of my phones, and my P7P display which I got at launch is still flawless. I always use a case with a decent lip on the front, and I'm very particular about making sure they're not around anything that could scratch it. Phone lives in the right pocket of my work scrubs or pants or coat, keys/pager/change in the other. Phone always has a dedicated space because I'm super afraid of getting a scratch.

If you're as obsessive as me you could probably go without a protector. I am probably an anomaly though.

:same:

My phone always goes in my left pocket, keys and change in my right. I haven't used a screen protector since my first real smartphone in like 2009 or 2010, and all my old phones have flawless screens.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The only time I used a screen protector it made my phone touch go crazy after a few months and didn't recover after removing it. Had to be repaired

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm in an "unlimited data" family plan with several random goons on Google FI

It's not throttled until over 28 or 32gb which is more than I need. Around $45 a month that way.

It's nice having access to 3 cellular networks, combined it's roughly equal to Verizon for coverage.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:same:

My phone always goes in my left pocket, keys and change in my right. I haven't used a screen protector since my first real smartphone in like 2009 or 2010, and all my old phones have flawless screens.

Keys and pocket change haven’t been able to damage a screen’s glass in years.

Go watch Jerry Rig Everything test a phone or two on YouTube, he uses graded hardness picks to test every screen and for years now phones have been able to withstand Mohs hardness up to 6 (with deeper grooves at a level 7), which means even straight razors aren’t going to make a mark.

I figure you end up with scratches on your display by getting tiny bits of mineral (sand, hard dust like gravel or rock, etc) on the phone itself or in your pockets or stuck on your thumb and then scraping them across the display, leading to microscratches.

Displays are also more susceptible to microscratches nowadays because the glass itself is so much harder than it used to be. Less likely to crack, more likely to get abrasions.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Google Fi was awesome like 6 years ago when we were traveling abroad a lot. $10/GB is hard to swallow in 2023, though. We switched to US Mobile and are paying $30/line/month for unlimited.
i have fi unlimited on a plan with 2 other people and my last bill was $29.76

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Visible has a deal where you can get their plans for $15 or $30 a year, they use Verizon towers.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
My lizard brain just cannot accept a screen without a protector so I got a whitestone tempered glass one for the pixel 7 pro. I like my phone's to last 5+ years so I'd prefer to protect them as much as possible.

Now I just need Google to ship my pixel damnit!

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I wanna get a tempered glass protector for my s23 if I can find a good one.

I've got one on all my devices, iPad, all my 3dses, switches, steam deck. Can't even tell they're there if they're applied properly

Definitely want one cause my s21 screen has a ton of tiny scratches you can't see unless the screen is off and in the right light. No idea where they come from. I've never put my phone in a pocket with anything else, or put anything on the screen. I think the screen is just really susceptible to tiny scratches

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Resdfru posted:

I've got one on all my devices, iPad, all my 3dses, switches, steam deck. Can't even tell they're there if they're applied properly

Definitely want one cause my s21 screen has a ton of tiny scratches you can't see unless the screen is off and in the right light. No idea where they come from. I've never put my phone in a pocket with anything else, or put anything on the screen. I think the screen is just really susceptible to tiny scratches

Does the fingerprint scanner still work with a glass protector?

The S20 line came with it's own screen protector already applied. Did the S21 and onwards not have one?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Busy Bee posted:

Does the fingerprint scanner still work with a glass protector?

The S20 line came with it's own screen protector already applied. Did the S21 and onwards not have one?

I haven't got one yet, but Samsung sells one (tempered glass) so I assume it works with the scanner

As for the built-in film protector, yea I vaguely remember peeling that off and then reading that it was supposed to be a screen protector. But I dislike those film ones anyway

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Resdfru posted:

In my opinion, if the scratches are so tiny you can only see them with the screen off and in the right kind of light/angle, then I don't need a screen protector.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I would not accept my phone without a screen protector. I just couldn't do it

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
everyone replaces their phone every 2-4 years idgaf about protecting the screen

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The great thing I found about the liquid "armor" screen protector is that applying the liquid fills in micro scratches.

It's probably better to get it before that beach trip though.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I've never replaced a phone before four years but I've definitely replaced screen protectors every two or so.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

My wife was adamant we got comprehensive carrier coverage for when she inevitably breaks the screen on hers. It's a couple extra bucks a month on the bill, but full replacement even for stupidity.
So I've never bothered with screen protection.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Resdfru posted:

I haven't got one yet, but Samsung sells one (tempered glass) so I assume it works with the scanner

I didn't know that Samsung sold one and I can't find it on their website. Do you have a link you can share because I'm also interested in getting one.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

holy poo poo, folks check it out

https://store.google.com/magazine/c...HZibVZmYlE9PSJ9

i was looking at the site just earlier today, and then at some point at night, google dumped a massive price drop on the 6a ($150), 7 ($100), and 7 pro ($150) :monocle:

but for me, the real sweetener is what they're offering me as a trade in for my 3a, which is $200! :monocle: :monocle: :monocle:

they wouldn't even give me more than $50 just a few months ago! not sure if this might be some kind of glitch or something, but this means i can get a flagship phone for $300. suddenly the oneplus 10 pro seems a trash deal

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mister Speaker posted:

My Pixel 4 started displaying the "problem reading battery meter" notification the other night. Is it time for a new battery or is this something I can fix? I looked around a bit and tried clearing the cache of the Settings app, but it didn't seem to work.

Mine has the same thing and even a new battery won't fix it, it's something to do with the connector. When the notification popped up for me it looked like certain regions would get some kind of free fix but mine wasn't one of them.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So any word on base S23 battery life? VRR oughta make it less poo poo than the 22 right?

I always rock the costco urban star jeans at work and I cant believe them, and any others for that matter still have that button for the hipster wallet right in the way of sliding your phone in the pocket. Like how zip hoodie pockets are still suicide vessels for your phone as well. You'd think that kinda thing would update with the times

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Busy Bee posted:

I didn't know that Samsung sold one and I can't find it on their website. Do you have a link you can share because I'm also interested in getting one.

You know, I thought it was this because it's 15 bucks but looking at the picture I'm not sure. They show it folding, like film. But the application method looks like tempered glass. https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/galaxy-s23-ultra-screen-protector-ef-us918ctegus/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

codo27 posted:

So any word on base S23 battery life? VRR oughta make it less poo poo than the 22 right?

There's no change in adaptive refresh between the S22 and S23. Neither has LTPO.

It should have better battery life due to a larger battery and more efficient SoC.

S23 Ultra is starting to look like a battery beast though with it rivaling the iPhone 14 Pro Max in longevity.

Resdfru posted:

You know, I thought it was this because it's 15 bucks but looking at the picture I'm not sure. They show it folding, like film. But the application method looks like tempered glass. https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/galaxy-s23-ultra-screen-protector-ef-us918ctegus/

Samsung protectors are usually PET.

Even the lowest end TPU protectors have frame guides now to make placement easy.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 6, 2023

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

holy poo poo, folks check it out

https://store.google.com/magazine/c...HZibVZmYlE9PSJ9

i was looking at the site just earlier today, and then at some point at night, google dumped a massive price drop on the 6a ($150), 7 ($100), and 7 pro ($150) :monocle:

but for me, the real sweetener is what they're offering me as a trade in for my 3a, which is $200! :monocle: :monocle: :monocle:

they wouldn't even give me more than $50 just a few months ago! not sure if this might be some kind of glitch or something, but this means i can get a flagship phone for $300. suddenly the oneplus 10 pro seems a trash deal

they saw me looking and decided they really wanted me to buy a 7. you're welcome

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Amazon has the discounts too (no trade in obvi)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

I got $244.50 for my 3 at launch, sometimes they're just like "COME ON BUY THE drat PHONE".

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

do you guys think google will keep this deal alive for the next few weeks?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It may go away earlier, but I would expect it to last no longer than Feb 17th as they are clearly competing against the S23 launch.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Oh hey, finally getting a security update on my p6pro

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Oh hey, finally getting a security update on my p6pro

It's barely noon pacific on the first Monday of the month, isn't that the normal time? I just got the prompt on my 7 Pro too.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
On fi so I haven't gotten one since early December.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm getting Feb as well on my P7P, so it seems Google and t-mobile resolved their issues.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

couldcareless posted:

On fi so I haven't gotten one since early December.

Ohhh wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

T-Mobile and (by extension) Fi have had updates held since December and even November in some cases.

It also appears that there's a specific T-Mobile/Fi build this time.

I'll be curious to see if that's the one I get automatically after I side loaded Jan.