Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Anytime you get down on yourself about what a lovely fly fisher you are just hop over to your nearest pond and cast trout sized flies to catch you some panfish. Bluegill will chomp on anything and are a blast to haul in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Dik Hz posted:

Just get a cheap cabelas rod to start with. They’re perfectly fine. Fast action graphite is easiest for beginners. You’ll do a lot better with a low cost rod and a casting lesson than buying an Orvis combo straight out. If you’re going to spend money, a $110 scientific anglers floating line will be the best expense to quality of life ratio you can get, especially for beginners. Cheap line is a pain in the rear end. High quality line floats better, has less memory, and has a more durable coating. All of which make your drifts more natural and your casts land softer.

If you want to do double duty, get a 7’6” 5/6-wt and some 6-wt line. It’ll be a bit overkill for small stream trout but it’ll be fine for learning. Heavier line is easier to cast for beginners because beginners always cast too fast and too hard. In theory you can cast a longer rod farther, but in practice a shorter rod is easier to control and you’re almost always better off making a better approach and a shorter cast than trying to bomb in a monster cast. Even for bass.

Take a couple trips and learn how to cast before spending a ton of money. I like old slow short and heavy fiberglass rods. Lots of people don’t and instead prefer light fast action rods. Or whatever. Fly fishing gear is all about aesthetic and preference. Better gear doesn’t catch more fish.

I was eyeballing some local places that give casting lessons and some well-regarded guides that will do freshwater fly fishing around here before I dove into a rod. Appreciate the help, this has been incredibly useful.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Picked up a new fishing boat the other day, super excited to try it out!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Bro hell yea congrats

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty little skiff! First one? What kinda fishing do you do and what sorta water will you be on?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

camoseven posted:

Bro hell yea congrats

Thanks!

It's my second skiff, I have two now lol. Not gonna sell the other one yet until I make sure I like this one for what I intend to use it for. As you can see I have limited space to keep a boat so my options are limited, but I wanted a Panga hull that would handle rough water better and be able to go into deeper water and handle rough conditions if they occur. My other skiff is a 14' tri hull which is super stable when static, but doesn't handle rough water well at all and is a pretty rough ride. With this new one the trade off is it's not as stable, BUT it's much more capable and safer overall, it's foam filled, basically unsinkable and rides like a Cadillac.

I fish on the gulf coast of Florida, mostly inshore fishing for Snook, redfish and Tarpon. But I wanted a boat that could go into deeper water as well, and do it safely so I can go after the big snapper and grouper that can't really be found much inshore. So we'll see how it goes, I took it out once already and it was too rough to fish, but the boat handled the conditions great. Unfortunately tho It's a lot more tippy static than the tri hull so i will have to get used to that. So the plan right now is to fish it for awhile to get a feel for it and see how I like it, I can always sell it if I'm not happy with it.

I've posted the other skiff here before too, it's a Rabco 14' Buccaneer

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 12, 2023

durabrand107
Mar 17, 2007
Spill Resistant Design
Is it ok to post fish pics/pics of fishing here or is this more for fishing trips kinda thing? I don't fly fish or anything cool like that, mostly fish for bass and speck (black crappie) in central Florida, with the occasional chain pickerel, florida gar, or mudfish (bowfin). It's speck time here but haven't been having the luck this year that I had past years. My neighbor swears he's finding them up in 3-4 foot water right now, so maybe that's it.

The lake I'm on is kind of interesting because for Florida, it's relatively deep, getting above 30ft in some parts. For shallow stuff I mostly fish unweighted trick worms, with a weedless texas rig, so a buried point basically. Fish a lot of minnows and shiners as well. I haven't really landed a Florida lunker yet though (moved here about 3 years ago from Southern California), my biggest is 6.5lbs on grips.

Been following the thread a while and kinda want to participate!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

durabrand107 posted:

Is it ok to post fish pics/pics of fishing here or is this more for fishing trips kinda thing? I don't fly fish or anything cool like that, mostly fish for bass and speck (black crappie) in central Florida, with the occasional chain pickerel, florida gar, or mudfish (bowfin). It's speck time here but haven't been having the luck this year that I had past years. My neighbor swears he's finding them up in 3-4 foot water right now, so maybe that's it.

The lake I'm on is kind of interesting because for Florida, it's relatively deep, getting above 30ft in some parts. For shallow stuff I mostly fish unweighted trick worms, with a weedless texas rig, so a buried point basically. Fish a lot of minnows and shiners as well. I haven't really landed a Florida lunker yet though (moved here about 3 years ago from Southern California), my biggest is 6.5lbs on grips.

:justpost:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

:justpost: also, join our discord. https://discord.gg/aWW5AhAS

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

In the spirit of just posting, here are the last fish I caught, back in October. Been too long... Some nice size redtail surfperch caught off the rocks in Yachats, OR using sand shrimp. Just ordered some Lucky Craft lures to try in the surf next time around.

And the lovely spot I was fishing from.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Nice spot, nice fish! Those rocks look a little fishy, any rockfish/cabezon/lings lurking around?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I was thinking I'd get into some rockfish or greenlings or something but all that was biting were the perch (and a couple nice size dungeness actually). My first time there so I was just glad to catch something.

The surf was pretty rough, I got soaked a couple times, so maybe that discouraged the other fish a bit?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

durabrand107 posted:

Please post all the Gar and Bowfin. I love me some primitives.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Jesus loving Christ figure this poo poo out I just wanna watch goddam baseball!!!!!!!!!!!!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Major League Bassball

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
God loving damnit lol the MLB off-season thread ALSO has the fishing tag. This is not the first time I've gotten confused but it is the first time I've gone all the way through to posting.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

waffle enthusiast posted:

Major League Bassball

:discourse:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

camoseven posted:

Jesus loving Christ figure this poo poo out I just wanna watch goddam baseball!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quit your carping and know your plaice.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

baseball? we're plumb trout

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

sexy tiger boobs posted:

I was thinking I'd get into some rockfish or greenlings or something but all that was biting were the perch (and a couple nice size dungeness actually). My first time there so I was just glad to catch something.

The surf was pretty rough, I got soaked a couple times, so maybe that discouraged the other fish a bit?

Research poke polling and bring a buddy for safety. Also chicken legs on a rope with dip net to get some crabs.

durabrand107
Mar 17, 2007
Spill Resistant Design
Today got 2 on weightless senkos, 2 on top water plopper, and my 8 yr old son got a bass on a plastic lizard and an ultra light. Nothing over 2lbs, weather been so warm in Florida that the bit is on big time and not just the specks.

Adding a photo cause it sure was a pretty night.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

durabrand107
Mar 17, 2007
Spill Resistant Design

Desert Bus posted:

Please post all the Gar and Bowfin. I love me some primitives.

Man I chased after a gar all evening, I was thinking "hey this dude on SA wants to see gar" but he had me licked.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

durabrand107 posted:

Man I chased after a gar all evening, I was thinking "hey this dude on SA wants to see gar" but he had me licked.

I probably mentioned it here before, but a dude once walked me through how to catch gar easy. Then he just paused and said "of course then the problem is you have a gar."

Bowfin are loving fun though. Every time without fail that I catch one some moron nearby insists it's a snakehead and I'm supposed to kill it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I probably mentioned it here before, but a dude once walked me through how to catch gar easy. Then he just paused and said "of course then the problem is you have a gar."

Bowfin are loving fun though. Every time without fail that I catch one some moron nearby insists it's a snakehead and I'm supposed to kill it.

I am annoyed with people catching paddlefish. Its endangered in a lot of areas but certain states allow 1 fish limits. They taste like poo poo. You can only catch them by snagging (they are a filter feeder) , but they are huge and put up a big fight. So you get people who poach them by accident.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Tell me how.

I've heard people use pieces of rope because their jaws are very boney so it's hard to set a hook in them.

I've tried to get bowfin before but no luck. A friend of mine got one one time though, with me. He said it fought like a motherfucker.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
The 2 times I've reeled in a bowfin I was sure I was pulling up a snagged log until I made eye contact then they go effing berserk.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Omg I have a great bowfin story!

I’ve done a fair amount of fishing in the Mississippi backwaters in SE Minnesota with my father in law. In the spring, if they get a lot of rain(or if there is a lot of snow melt), a lot of backwater areas flood. In particular, there’s a campground just downstream from a spillway that floods big time.

One year, it flooded all the way up over the boat landing, parking lot, playground, and almost all the way up to the raised road bed.

You could then wade in the flooded grass and cast for bass, pike, walleye, etc. I seriously caught maybe a 5 lb. Pike next to a swing set, it was awesome.

At night though, you could walk to the top of the boat landing and cast right out on top of the pavers and where the normal channel is, bounce a jig up the landing or a shad rap, anything really.

I caught everything out there, walleye, sunnies, crappies, sauger, bass, pike, soft shell turtle, saw someone catch a small Gar, really really cool fishing experience.

One night though I was out there by myself and catching some nice fish. I’m standing under the only streetlight, up to my waist in water on what is normally the dirt parking lot. It’d get really quiet except for the sound of the water running downstream, the occasional muskrat would swim by and scare the crap out of me. It’s like 2 or 3 AM and all of a sudden I feel something touch my leg. Startled the poo poo out of me cause there’s like big rear end snapping turtles down there, beaver, etc.

I turn around and see what I thought were big snakes swimming in the water right behind me. Nope, it’s like four bowfin, using my legs a current break, and then lunging quickly at minnows that were stacked in there(attracted to the light maybe?). It was really kind of creepy, cause they were pretty big, but they were just totally using me and couldn’t care at all if I kicked at them or moved.

Just for shits and giggles I dropped my jig and plastic right in front of one and it just F’ing ravaged my jig. That thing put up a hell of a fight. Caught another one later that night on a rapala and it just completely ruined that crank. Cool fish, so prehistoric looking and their mouths are like armor!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Tell me how.

I've heard people use pieces of rope because their jaws are very boney so it's hard to set a hook in them.

Google "rope lure"

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

DoctaFun posted:

Omg I have a great bowfin story!

This was a cool story! Thanks for sharing.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Sickening posted:

I am annoyed with people catching paddlefish. Its endangered in a lot of areas but certain states allow 1 fish limits. They taste like poo poo. You can only catch them by snagging (they are a filter feeder) , but they are huge and put up a big fight. So you get people who poach them by accident.

Yeah I loathe this as well, it sucks to see people snag one and go oh it’s small and toss it back too, causing big flesh wounds in a slow growing animal is for shitheads.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Tell me how.

Yep. A frayed bit of rope gets their little needle teeth all stuck.

wesleywillis posted:

I've tried to get bowfin before but no luck. A friend of mine got one one time though, with me. He said it fought like a motherfucker.

Your friend was underselling it. Every time I caught a bowfin I would have sworn before getting them up that they were something three or four times their actual size. loving things are 100% muscle.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I've been fishing the same lake since the early 80's. I've pulled untold hundreds of bluegill / green sunfish / pumpkinseeds, crappie, rock bass, and yellow perch. Plenty of largemouth and smallmouth bass. I've pulled Northern pike and walleye, and even an occasional small catfish.

I thought i had caught every kind of freshwater fish that the lake had to offer, so imagine my surprise when i rolled up to my spot one day to find two bowfin sitting on the rocks with spear holes in them.

I had never seen one before and neither of the friends i had with me had any idea what they were either. I had to look it up to determine that they were dogfish and not snakehead.

They were dry as hell, and since the sun was barely up i assumed they were sitting there since the evening before. Since i'd never seen one before i spent a little time just crouched there studying them.

I was shocked to find they were both still alive so i figured i might as well return them to the water. Holed as they were i assumed they would die, but at least they could die more comfortably in the water.

Almost as surprising as the fact that they were alive was the density. They weighed 3 times what i expected.

Ever since then I've really wanted to hook one but i have no idea where to look or how to target them.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

titties posted:

Ever since then I've really wanted to hook one but i have no idea where to look or how to target them.

Just gotta get lucky with dead or live fish for bait. Though I was once retrieving a plastic worm and right before I pulled it from the water, a bowfin I didn't see shot out from under the bank I was standing on and got it

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
I want to catch a bowfin for my lifelist. My only experience I've ever had with them is when one hit my musky lure on top of the water. The thing looked so cool.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I thought about getting some Bowfin for my local pond but apparently if you put a few into a small pond you just end up with Bowfin and then they die cause they've eaten everything else.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

wait til the snakehead migrate north, we'll all be sick of them

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Ghostnuke posted:

wait til the snakehead migrate north, we'll all be sick of them

It annoys me that there is only one or two Snakehead species that can effectively set up camp in NA but they are all banned from import/breeding/sale. I come at this from the angle of an aquarium hobbyist though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

titties posted:

I've been fishing the same lake since the early 80's. I've pulled untold hundreds of bluegill / green sunfish / pumpkinseeds, crappie, rock bass, and yellow perch. Plenty of largemouth and smallmouth bass. I've pulled Northern pike and walleye, and even an occasional small catfish.

I thought i had caught every kind of freshwater fish that the lake had to offer, so imagine my surprise when i rolled up to my spot one day to find two bowfin sitting on the rocks with spear holes in them.

I had never seen one before and neither of the friends i had with me had any idea what they were either. I had to look it up to determine that they were dogfish and not snakehead.

They were dry as hell, and since the sun was barely up i assumed they were sitting there since the evening before. Since i'd never seen one before i spent a little time just crouched there studying them.

I was shocked to find they were both still alive so i figured i might as well return them to the water. Holed as they were i assumed they would die, but at least they could die more comfortably in the water.

Almost as surprising as the fact that they were alive was the density. They weighed 3 times what i expected.

I don't know too many people who target them, but they seem to say use stuff like worm balls and chicken livers. Drag on the bottom. I think it's similar to what you use for catfish ?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

tbf I honestly don't care if snakehead do move in. they fight harder and taste better and look cooler than bass anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
YMMV I'm sure, but my local Walmart has some rod/reel combos on clearance right now for stupid cheap. Cast or spinning, Lew's, Daiwa and Ugly Sticks reduced from $55-$99 down to $11 or $13. They're not even spooled so you don't even have to waste time there. That's cheaper than half the lures I've got, and I consider those semi-disposable, so I grabbed one of each to hand to anyone I think might break/lose one. It's hard not to scoop up them all and figure out later what to do with them.