Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I live in Google Meet for much of the week. You can share a window, your whole screen or just a Chrome tab. I would recommend using Chrome for Google Meet so you can take advantage of that. Google Apps is pretty well integrated with Meet these days, if you're in a meeting you can present the spreadsheet from the tab with the spreadsheet open in it, instead of trying to find it in the list of open tabs. Protip: if you select the tab and then switch back to the Meet tab, the Apps tab you were just on will at the top of the list.

I would kill for the option to do remote control sessions in Meet. People in the labs could finally shut up about TeamViewer. It's about the only full feature it's missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

mllaneza posted:

I live in Google Meet for much of the week. You can share a window, your whole screen or just a Chrome tab. I would recommend using Chrome for Google Meet so you can take advantage of that. Google Apps is pretty well integrated with Meet these days, if you're in a meeting you can present the spreadsheet from the tab with the spreadsheet open in it, instead of trying to find it in the list of open tabs. Protip: if you select the tab and then switch back to the Meet tab, the Apps tab you were just on will at the top of the list.

I would kill for the option to do remote control sessions in Meet. People in the labs could finally shut up about TeamViewer. It's about the only full feature it's missing.

Yeah, if I was doing everything in Chrome it would be pretty simple. Unfortunately there are other apps (and even the Windows folder structure) in play there that aren't coming through Chrome; the only way to share all of that seamlessly is to share the screen.

But, without sharing a region (say, the upper-right quadrant) or the ability for the viewer to zoom in on a section of the screen, we've had to fall back to the described workarounds.

I think that's what's so frustrating about the Google suite - they're the biggest tech company in the world, but all their products are missing a feature or two that make them just slightly worse than everything else I'm familiar with.

. . . well, except the zoom/share region functionality; I have no idea if ANYONE offers that currently.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can probably use OBS Studio as a way to do screen sharing hacks.

Two ways:
Open the live preview in a window, and share that live preview window. You can then adjust and scale the part of the desktop you're sharing by changing the scale and crop in the OBS controls.
Or you can install the virtual webcam feature and tell your video meeting app to transmit that as your webcam. This will probably be lower quality, but less mess on your desktop.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I also remember Teams topping out at 1080p output which is okay for 4K since it’s a direct integer scale there but can be weird for other resolutions or aspect ratios

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
Jitsi might work, but it’s free, so why not try it?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

nielsm posted:

You can probably use OBS Studio as a way to do screen sharing hacks.

Two ways:
Open the live preview in a window, and share that live preview window. You can then adjust and scale the part of the desktop you're sharing by changing the scale and crop in the OBS controls.
Or you can install the virtual webcam feature and tell your video meeting app to transmit that as your webcam. This will probably be lower quality, but less mess on your desktop.

I know nothing about OBS other than it's used a lot for streaming, but that gives me enough to go on! I must admit that workaround is delightfully hilarious to me, presumably because my brain is broken :v:

tehinternet posted:

I also remember Teams topping out at 1080p output which is okay for 4K since it’s a direct integer scale there but can be weird for other resolutions or aspect ratios

I'll test this at work today - I'm not sure I've ever tested the 4k screen fully, now that you mention it.

LightRailTycoon posted:

Jitsi might work, but it’s free, so why not try it?

I'll give this one a look as well!

Appreciate the responses from everyone. I'll report back with what I find out!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Try Quick Assist which is built into Windows as well

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zarin posted:

I know nothing about OBS other than it's used a lot for streaming, but that gives me enough to go on! I must admit that workaround is delightfully hilarious to me, presumably because my brain is broken :v:
https://obsproject.com/kb/virtual-camera-guide

It's a silly hack, but very powerful. You can do anything you could do on a stream, but instead direct the output to a virtual camera that other apps can then pick up.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I once used OBS for a work presentation with a green screen. Outputting to a virtual camera will probably miss a step (it did with Zoom). I was using OBS to put my talking head in the bottom corner of the screen while my content was being shared. OBS could set that scene up well enough, but I ended up setting it to display on a 3rd monitor, and then I shared that screen via Zoom. So I had my main monitor for what I was showing off, my left monitor had OBS and zoom running, and then OBS played its output on my right monitor, and that's the screen I shared in Zoom.

Outputting to a virtual camera doesn't work that great because Zoom optimizes the experience of a camera feed for faces, which is different from the experience of a shared screen.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

FISHMANPET posted:

I once used OBS for a work presentation with a green screen. Outputting to a virtual camera will probably miss a step (it did with Zoom). I was using OBS to put my talking head in the bottom corner of the screen while my content was being shared. OBS could set that scene up well enough, but I ended up setting it to display on a 3rd monitor, and then I shared that screen via Zoom. So I had my main monitor for what I was showing off, my left monitor had OBS and zoom running, and then OBS played its output on my right monitor, and that's the screen I shared in Zoom.

Outputting to a virtual camera doesn't work that great because Zoom optimizes the experience of a camera feed for faces, which is different from the experience of a shared screen.

This 100% tracks with my experience. OBS is fantastic for demos and presenting content, but using virtual camera mode for mixed-mode presenting goes against how every collaboration platform works. You'll run into problems like people inadvertently stealing focus, people who normally have video disabled not knowing why they aren't seeing any content, etc. Sharing the OBS output by selecting its output window as the app to share (or more easily by just using another monitor and full-screening the output and sharing that) is the best platform-agnostic option.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Alright so an ipsec-connected remote site went dark uhhh three weeks ago, and no one noticed until authentications started failing yesterday. Apparently our sites and boundaries weren't set right because some computers try to phone home to main campus for auth rather than using the on-prem DC.

I'm going to fix the tunnel today but should I expect a problem since this remote DC hasnt replicated since the 25th? Coworker seems to think it'll be a problem, but he's also old school and may be thinking of a limitation or scenario using something older than Server 19.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bring it online and wait. You have 60 days before stuff tombstones.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
No it’ll be fine. It’s never been a problem that I can remember. Demote/repromote if you have problems. Just don’t do anything crazy like a restore cause you could cause a USN rollback

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
And if you’re the Maersk shipping line, having a completely offline DC just might save your rear end from ransomware!

https://www.wired.com/story/notpetya-cyberattack-ukraine-russia-code-crashed-the-world/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Been doing proof of concept work on Windows 365 (Enterprise because I need to connect to an Azure VNet) and...it's really good. Easy to work with assuming you're already using Intune otherwise you have to do those parts to give people a non-poo poo first run experience (mainly stuff like hiding Office app EULAs, stopping Edge begging people to import their Google data). Looking at it primarily as a way to easily bring users from acquired companies onto the same tools that the parent company but allowing it to happen gradually without people needing to carry two PCs around. Also probably going to see some DR use as we can build and test everything, leave a couple of users licensed and then ramp up if an office burns down or whatever.

Could definitely save money by doing multi session stuff with Azure Virtual Desktop but these are user counts around 100 not the thousands, and I can't be bothered maintaining RDS.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

Could definitely save money by doing multi session stuff with Azure Virtual Desktop but these are user counts around 100 not the thousands, and I can't be bothered maintaining RDS.

AVD is neat, but if you are big enough to be talking acquisitions and DR, your probably going to have a huge number of apps that will turn out not to be Terminal Services compatible.

There is also little protection against bad user behaviour or runaway applications, and the built in monitoring isn’t great.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

AVD is neat, but if you are big enough to be talking acquisitions and DR, your probably going to have a huge number of apps that will turn out not to be Terminal Services compatible.

There is also little protection against bad user behaviour or runaway applications, and the built in monitoring isn’t great.

Might want to re-check, AVD has an impressive level of monitoring that conventional RDS lacks (but you gotta pay for it). I was able to track users connection time, quality of connection, any network issues that happened to that user, which app they were connecting through AND version (useful for a\b connection web vs native rdp), monitor app consumption, and pull relevant events from the respective vm instances.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

incoherent posted:

Might want to re-check, AVD has an impressive level of monitoring that conventional RDS lacks (but you gotta pay for it). I was able to track users connection time, quality of connection, any network issues that happened to that user, which app they were connecting through AND version (useful for a\b connection web vs native rdp), monitor app consumption, and pull relevant events from the respective vm instances.

Yes, I can click on the Insights workbook as well. If I want to find out the top 10 apps by cpu consumption for the last X hours, it’s not really something I’ve found is logged.

MS has produced an on demand evaluator, Perf Insights, but it’s not 100% there yet. Admittedly, I’m looking for something like Aternity which may be too heavy for MS to want to include natively inside most VMs.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Teams 2.1 ditches Electron for React on webview2

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm still amazed they're pushing this halo app with zero .net integration.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Microsoft has been lazy with quality-of-life improvements for AVD and such because if customers want the easy button then they just bring in Citrix to back up the truck and sprinkle their bits on top. It literally makes them more money that way.

I'm sure they're working on gradually chipping away at the differentiators that people actually use Citrix for, and I suspect the recent buyout and ransacking is only going to push that timetable up.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sanity check:

I’m spinning up a test environment in azure for an off the shelf web app that we’re expecting to deploy company wide for scanning documents. The only thing that is old school about is its an windows server application. I’m all Azure’d up with this thing leveraging Azure AD for sign-on and authentication, using the Azure PostgreSQL databases (which is what my dev-op team is familiar with) and for the initial rollout sending he completed files for end user use to Azure Files.

I’m looking to use Azure file share in two ways: First, the share will be mounted on the server as the repository for the output of files. I’ll be connecting to it inside azure with the storage account key for the application use only. A few reasons were doing this: we’re not pushing out Microsoft365 licenses, so Sharepoint is out of the question. The company is in google workspaces and primarily work in that (but, this tool doesn’t have any connectors or support for google workspace).

The second way the users will access this file share using AzureAD Kerberos on either their Azure AD or hybrid-joined device (these are few and far between as they are getting rid of all legacy apps and most devices will be azure-ad only). Access will be granted based off the NTFS permissions. Most won’t have a line of sight to the domain controller (primarily azure AD joined devices) however this should gives them the experience they’re used to, working out of file shares. I'll set access in IAM and apply rights in the file share.

Please tell me this is a dumb ideal. tygobbles.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

H2SO4 posted:

Microsoft has been lazy with quality-of-life improvements for AVD and such because if customers want the easy button then they just bring in Citrix to back up the truck and sprinkle their bits on top. It literally makes them more money that way.

I'm sure they're working on gradually chipping away at the differentiators that people actually use Citrix for, and I suspect the recent buyout and ransacking is only going to push that timetable up.

Pretty funny, because you could have said the same exact thing 20 years ago.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

H2SO4 posted:

MS is starting to clone features of these third parties into the AVD base platform, so they may squeeze some of the smaller ones out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you enforcing permissions on the scans, like do user documents get put in specific folders, or does everything scan to one place and people are expected to delete documents once they've copied them out the share?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you enforcing permissions on the scans, like do user documents get put in specific folders, or does everything scan to one place and people are expected to delete documents once they've copied them out the share?

I'm planning department level access control for the respective dept. folders. The output of this platform massive amounts of paper we want to replace touching. I'll be doing backend transfering to cold tier storage, then archive tiers based off a few metrics. My top concern is the security aspect to it. It looks like a AD joined device (at logon it has to go get you a kerberos key) and a AAD account are the security and auth layers and I don't see from my perspective any other way into the azure files through this method (outside the shared access keys that are server only).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How many departments are there? I'm just thinking out loud that you might be better off working out a way to sync the folders into Google Drive with something like rclone running every couple of minutes than messing around having people access SMB shares over the internet. Or if you can monitor the shares with Power Platform and start a copy process to Drive when it sees a new file.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 18, 2023

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Since AVD chat is already happening... I am trying to migrate away from our hybrid AD joined AVDs and move to Azure AD joined AVDs.

I got it working with Azure Files for FSLogix disks and I am able to log in just fine with the web client and the Remote Desktop client on Windows, since it supports modern auth.

If you take a Mac or try to connect from your phone it gives you the older username/password bars and I get a credential error every time. I can try AzureAD\username, AzureAD\upn, any number of ways and I got nothing.

I've read about excluding MFA for Azure VM sign-in but it didn't seem to help. Google has failed me in my search for a solution (or I am failing at Googling properly.)

Anyone else ever try this sort of deployment and run into similar issues?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you deployed Hybrid Cloud Trust?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/hello-for-business/hello-hybrid-cloud-kerberos-trust

Edit: Hang on I might have misunderstood - are you getting prompted for credentials inside the AVD environment, or is this for clients connecting to it? There's different applications depending how old your AVD deployment is. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/set-up-mfa

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 24, 2023

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
I'm looking for a way for an Azure AD joined machine to ONLY allow logins from local accounts. This is for a machine that some of our computerless users will use to login and do their mandatory trainings. I'd like to have them log in using a local 'Training' account, then once logged in, launch a browser and log into the training system using their personal credentials. These are older machines (with no budget to purchase anything new) so I'd prefer to not have a bunch of user profiles taking up space on the machine if possible.
Any ideas?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Thanks Ants posted:

Have you deployed Hybrid Cloud Trust?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/hello-for-business/hello-hybrid-cloud-kerberos-trust

Edit: Hang on I might have misunderstood - are you getting prompted for credentials inside the AVD environment, or is this for clients connecting to it? There's different applications depending how old your AVD deployment is. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/set-up-mfa

I probably wrote more than I should have.

Getting prompted for credentials for clients connecting to the AVD. I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct client and they work with our AD joined AVDs but not our AAD joined ones. It's probably something dumb that I am missing

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

sporkstand posted:

I'm looking for a way for an Azure AD joined machine to ONLY allow logins from local accounts. This is for a machine that some of our computerless users will use to login and do their mandatory trainings. I'd like to have them log in using a local 'Training' account, then once logged in, launch a browser and log into the training system using their personal credentials. These are older machines (with no budget to purchase anything new) so I'd prefer to not have a bunch of user profiles taking up space on the machine if possible.
Any ideas?

Consider if setting up a Mandatory Profile will solve the goal. It's a way to force a computer to use a specific local profile when a user logs on, and discard that profile again when the user logs off. The user is still logged on with their own credentials, but doesn't get any personalization.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mandatory-user-profile

Edit: After re-reading that article I'm no longer so sure if this would solve your use case. First, it might not be possible with Azure AD, and second it might be a global property for the user rather than something you can set up per-machine.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 25, 2023

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

sporkstand posted:

Any ideas?

Sounds like you want a single app Kiosk profile in intune.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/configuration/kiosk-settings-windows

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

snackcakes posted:

I probably wrote more than I should have.

Getting prompted for credentials for clients connecting to the AVD. I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct client and they work with our AD joined AVDs but not our AAD joined ones. It's probably something dumb that I am missing

The correct client is the one from the Mac Store, though it only supports limited authentication types: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/authentication#session-host-authentication

Have you tried with the web client? It should work, and often has better error messages than the installable client, though its performance is pretty bad

You can also go through the options here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/troubleshoot-azure-ad-connections just remember that == in kusto is case sensitive, edit the examples to =~ to avoid that.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

After trying many things and getting nowhere, I opted to download the beta client of the Remote Desktop app for MacOS and that worked without any problem.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

sporkstand posted:

Any ideas?

I did this by using an unlicensed shared azure AD account named "training". You can trim the user, guests, and backup operators group to only include that account.
Kiosk mode as mentioned above is the right answer though.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Thanks y'all, I'll give kiosk mode a shot!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If I regularly need to cycle through checking files on a bunch of machines under an elevated alternate username/password, is there a good way to do that without having to rekey everything for each machine? Like, should i just make myself a shortcut to explorer.exe and Run As? Will that just let me hit all the boxes in 1 window?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Toshimo posted:

If I regularly need to cycle through checking files on a bunch of machines under an elevated alternate username/password, is there a good way to do that without having to rekey everything for each machine? Like, should i just make myself a shortcut to explorer.exe and Run As? Will that just let me hit all the boxes in 1 window?

What does checking files entail here? Verifying they exist? Parsing the contents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

tehinternet posted:

What does checking files entail here? Verifying they exist? Parsing the contents?

Yes, and others. Basically, if things have gone awry it's pawing thriugh logs and checking caches and verifying what installed and didn't.

I mean, I guess also troubleshooting actions like copying/editing/deleting files. All the things one would normally fo from Explorer.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 29, 2023