Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
People identifying with brands, consumer goods or sports teams are silly.

However, Irma was at one point known for being the one, and only, non-poo poo employer in the detail-branche. Pay was more reasonable, hierarchy was flatter, employees had a large influence over their schedules and a lot of store decisions were taken with employee involvement. Also, instead of a nightmare regime of constant managerial scrutiny, looking for any deviance from the optimal efficient behaviour, employees got a lot of leeway to chat to customers and ask them how they were doing and so on. It’s why the people at my irma always seem nice and like they’re having a good time, while the people working at my netto have blank stares and look like they might kill themselves at any moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Inferior Third Season posted:

As someone who has, at different times, been a regular shopper at SuperBrugsen, Meny, Netto, Lidl, Irma, Rema1000, Kvickly, and Føtex, here is my expert opinion: go to whatever's closest, they're all the loving same.

You are *so* wrong lol.

I don't like Meny or Irma as brands, they carry better quality stuff I like the others (looking at the truly poo poo tier stores like Netto) do not. Rema is *great* - if you have utterly zero interest in non-Danish cooking.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 5, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

jeebus bob posted:

Not really politics but around 200 boomers in a wealthy suburb of Copenhagen protested the restructuring of their favorite high end supermarket chain by linking arms and singing a protest song from their old days in the student revolts of the late 60's.

Blissfully ignorant of the fact that they themselves are now the very "man" they once protested against.

Just lol at capitalists objecting to decisions made by market forces
I can't say this any other way: tjøvenhavneri.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Rust Martialis posted:

Rema is *great* - if you have utterly zero interest in non-Danish cooking.

If you ever have to eat a frozen pizza, for whatever reason, then Rema's spinach pizza isn't half bad.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

You are *so* wrong lol.

I don't like Meny or Irma as brands, they carry better quality stuff I like the others (looking at the truly poo poo tier stores like Netto) do not. Rema is *great* - if you have utterly zero interest in non-Danish cooking.
Nah. Might be a few items here and there that a particular brand has that the others don't, but they're all the same. If you stick to basic staples, even prices aren't all that different.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Rema is *great* - if you have utterly zero interest in non-Danish cooking.
Are you buying their pre-packaged food?

Because they have various cuts of meat, potatoes, and everything you need to make brown gravy - and if there's anything more Danish than that, I'm not sure I can think of it.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Nah. Might be a few items here and there that a particular brand has that the others don't, but they're all the same. If you stick to basic staples, even prices aren't all that different.

As someone who's lived on a tight budget let me tell you the price difference on staples is a pretty big deal.

I currently can afford varied and adventurous cooking and the difference is much much more than "a few items here and there".

I don't care whether Irma exists as a separate brand but your take on this is kind of myopic.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I want to shop at Lidl, but after a decade with självscanning. I can't bear the old system.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
If we get our secret dreams, mine would be MaxiICA in DK.

SuperMarco in Sydhavnen is nice for niche stuff

Or for real crazy stuff: Shoppers Drug Mart (CA) or a Walgreens (US)

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 5, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

I want to shop at Lidl, but after a decade with självscanning. I can't bear the old system.

If this means what I assume it does, my local Lidl has self-checkouts :iit:

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Rappaport posted:

If this means what I assume it does, my local Lidl has self-checkouts :iit:

That would be great if mine did.

They sell some very good pastries and also weird and interesting chips and candy. Sometimes me and a friend goes there before we have tea. And queuing is this alien experience. Likewise, packing my groceries twice.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

That would be great if mine did.

Write them an angry feedback on facebook!

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

You know. My local Willy's has self-checkout where you scan your driving licence. But in 5 visits, staff has double-checked me 5 times. Everything was legitimate, but it was still a bigger bother than ICA. I guess I could see it as going ahead of the queue in a way.

ICA is probably the most expensive store of all, but the competition is not competing well where I live.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I find the automatic bread slicers in Norwegian stores fascinating. I see people put their loaf of bread in a bag, and then they take it out to insert it into the Machine, which then puts the sliced bread in another bag. The first bag is discarded.

Why would you pre-slice an entire loaf, making it become stale quicker, unless you had to?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

anatomi posted:

I find the automatic bread slicers in Norwegian stores fascinating. I see people put their loaf of bread in a bag, and then they take it out to insert it into the Machine, which then puts the sliced bread in another bag. The first bag is discarded.

Why would you pre-slice an entire loaf, making it become stale quicker, unless you had to?

I've often wondered this myself. Unless you plan to consume the entire bread the same day, pre-slicing it is absolutely insane.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Just put it in the freezer and take out a slice or two a day for toasting.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
You don’t make garlic bread? The machine saves you time, and it’s easier to have a bag of sliced baguette to shop with?

E: Team ICA, someday I’ll get that “en ICA basic bitch” shirt

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

thotsky posted:

Just put it in the freezer and take out a slice or two a day for toasting.
The freezer is for storing en entire moose in, you buffoon.

teen witch posted:

You don’t make garlic bread? The machine saves you time, and it’s easier to have a bag of sliced baguette to shop with?

E: Team ICA, someday I’ll get that “en ICA basic bitch” shirt
It's ridiculous, but ICA doing their self-checkout differently from everyone else, i.e. swipe card before scanning instead of after, makes me so angry.

Edit: happy Runebergsdag to any Finns in here. Apparently your national skald ate a Runebergstårta every day, so I'm gonna try one now to see if it tastes like poetry.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 5, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I never use any of the self checkouts unless I have a very small amount of items and the line is long. For me the old way just goes faster and is less hassle.

And Lidl in Finland dropped their own unique double bag checkout system inside the first year of operation and it now works like anywhere else.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I like the self-scan system at my local Ica Maxi. Scan a QR code at the entrance and grab a hand-held scanner, then scan and bag items as I go through the store and pay at the self-checkout as I leave. So much smoother than either traditional cashier checkout or the self-checkout where you scan things at the station.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't know what the deal with Lidl is but over here they sell the best fresh baked bread out of all grocery stores in my city at half the price, compared to some other stores.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

anatomi posted:

It's ridiculous, but ICA doing their self-checkout differently from everyone else, i.e. swipe card before scanning instead of after, makes me so angry.

It is absolutely insane. Pure malice

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Woebin posted:

I like the self-scan system at my local Ica Maxi. Scan a QR code at the entrance and grab a hand-held scanner, then scan and bag items as I go through the store and pay at the self-checkout as I leave. So much smoother than either traditional cashier checkout or the self-checkout where you scan things at the station.

Coop has an app for that

I love breezing past the queue when I just need to get one last ingredient for dinner

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Self scanning was what I was talking about all along. I can't imagine any system being faster.

Just fill your bag as you go through the store. Swipe your card and leave.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Shoplifting is faster and more righteous.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

anatomi posted:

The freezer is for storing en entire moose in, you buffoon.

Everywhere except Hemköp does it that way? I never go to Willys but iirc they’re owned by the same company.

Shout-out to Lidl for having soft pretzels. Has anyone gone to that one weird Costco in Täby, do they have soft pretzels?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

anatomi posted:

Edit: happy Runebergsdag to any Finns in here. Apparently your national skald ate a Runebergstårta every day, so I'm gonna try one now to see if it tastes like poetry.

I like them, I bake my own. I got the original 19th century recipe but have never tried it.

quote:

Ingredienser
425 gram (g) smör- 1 skålpund
425 gram (g) mjöl- 1 skålpund
105 gram (g) sötmandel- 1/4 skålpund
105 gram (g) bittermandel- 1/4 skålpund
2 st ägg

Anvisningar:
Runebergstårtan började bakas av gästgivaren och sockerbagaren Lars Henrik Astenius i Borgå på 1840-talet och hörde till skaldens favoritbakverk. Fredrik Ekbergs bageri i Helsingfors var det första som marknadsförde tårtor med Runebergs namn redan år 1865, under skaldens livstid.
I Fredrika Runebergs receptbok finns däremot receptet till ett bakverk kallat Runebergs bakelse. Bakelsen, som delvis avviker från den traditionella Runebergstårtan, består av en mördeg utan bakpulver och gräddas i runda bleckplåtsformar utan botten. Om formen som används är hög och cylinderformad har den färdiga bakelsen samma form som dagens Runebergstårta.

Gör så här:
"Mandeln, oskollad, stötes men ej fin, knådas mycket, mycket väl på bordet, kaflas ut som vanlig tortdeg något tjockare än till vanliga tortor. Urtages med runda bläckformer utan botten och gräddas med dem på spjell, i icke mycket stark värme, tills de bli ljusbruna, hvarpå de med form ställas på degen och uttryckes sålunda att den rå skifvan blir under och den gräddade på, hvarefter man ofvanpå den gräddade delen lägger af rå smet en krans omkring och ett dubbelt kors ovanpå samt litet syllt deremellan, allt ini formen. Smörjes med äggula och sättes åter i ugnen."

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jack Trades posted:

I don't know what the deal with Lidl is but over here they sell the best fresh baked bread out of all grocery stores in my city at half the price, compared to some other stores.

It's true here too. Lidl has some of the best bread and lowest price points. I think this is maybe a finnish lidl thing, but they got an extra large "rustic" croissant. Love it, regular croissants do nothing for me anymore.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

teen witch posted:

Everywhere except Hemköp does it that way? I never go to Willys but iirc they’re owned by the same company.

Shout-out to Lidl for having soft pretzels. Has anyone gone to that one weird Costco in Täby, do they have soft pretzels?
Really? I mostly shop at Hemköp and Coop, and the latter do the swipe-at-the-end as well. At least the Coops I frequent do.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

His Divine Shadow posted:

I like them, I bake my own. I got the original 19th century recipe but have never tried it.
Do you have a recipe for the ones you bake? Do you do the cylinder thing?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

All else being equal, I'd go into Lidl because of their apple pockets. Pretty good if you eat them at room temperature, but amazing after a few minutes on a rister or in an air fryer. Like the McApple Pie of old, but in the superior triangle shape.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

All else being equal, I'd go into Lidl because of their apple pockets.

Great to eat.... above the sink, haha.

I ate one in my car once, and it was the worst idea ever.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 5, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

anatomi posted:

Do you have a recipe for the ones you bake? Do you do the cylinder thing?

I have a google doc with various recipes with the recipe and my comments from earlier attempts at it:

quote:

200 g smör
1 d socker
2 ägg
130 g vetemjöl
1 tsk bakpulver
1 tsk malen kardemumma
40 g krossade pepparkakor
40 g ströbröd
80 g grovmalen mandel
Några droppar bittermandel essäns.
1,5 dl grädde

Punschvatten
0,1 l vatten
0,2 dl socker
3 msk punsch

Garnering
Hallonsylt eller hallon marmelad

Glasyr
120 g florsocker
~6 tsk citronsaft

Instruktioner
Värm ugnen till 200 ° C.
Blanda mandel och krossade pepparkakor.
Vispa smör och socker. Tillsätt ett ägg i taget och vispa väl efter varje ägg. Blanda mjöl och bakpulver och rör ner i smeten. blanda i kaksmulor och mandel samt kardemumma, och slutligen grädden. Rör om.

Häll smeten i muffinsformar eller ifall du har formar for Runebergstårtor.
Tryck ett litet hål i varje tårta och fyll med hallonsylt. Grädda tårtorna i ca 15 minuter om du använder vanliga muffinsformar och ca. 30 minuter om du använder höga kakformar. Testa med en tändsticka ifall de är gräddade.

Koka upp vatten och lösa upp sockret. Stäng av värmen och häll i punschen. Dränk tårtorna med vätskan. Lägg till ytterligare en tesked sylt på mitten av tårtan och låt dem svalna
Blanda florsocker och citronsaft i en liten skål. Blanda tills du har en tjock glasyr. Spritsa glasyren runt sylten och låt den stelna.

Based on my own comments, I found it a little too sweet and the dough could use some actual bitter almonds and more cream for looser consistency to make it easier to spoon into the forms. I pour real rum or punsch over them instead of sugary punsch essence, but that's me. I reduce the amount of pepparkakor and increase ströbröd instead. But that's the recipe customized to my tastes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

anatomi posted:

Noticing more and more Axfood stores also switching to card first, such a nuisance.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Feliday Melody posted:

Great to eat.... above the sink, haha.

I ate one in my car once, and it was the worst idea ever.
I've known a few people who could eat flaky pastries without making a huge mess. I just assumed they were skilled practitioners of dark magick.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

genuinely surprised that Lidl survived in other scandinavian countries

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

jeebus bob posted:

As someone who's lived on a tight budget let me tell you the price difference on staples is a pretty big deal.

I currently can afford varied and adventurous cooking and the difference is much much more than "a few items here and there".

I don't care whether Irma exists as a separate brand but your take on this is kind of myopic.
Admittedly it's been a while since I had a tight budget, but when I did, the differences between different shops definitely mattered. Like, Brugsen was probably 20-60% more expensive than Rema depending on what you were buying. Not sure whether the recent inflation has closed the gap somewhat, or if they've all adjusted their prices up a similar percentage.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Are you buying their pre-packaged food?

Because they have various cuts of meat, potatoes, and everything you need to make brown gravy - and if there's anything more Danish than that, I'm not sure I can think of it.
I think you misunderstood that post.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

ulvir posted:

genuinely surprised that Lidl survived in other scandinavian countries

Before Lidl we had a duopoly in Finland, it was not hard for Lidl to establish itself here or to press prices down a bit.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Revelation 2-13 posted:

It’s why the people at my irma always seem nice and like they’re having a good time, while the people working at my netto have blank stares and look like they might kill themselves at any moment.

That's because most of them are on kontanthjælp and don't want to be there.

Rust Martialis posted:

SuperMarco in Sydhavnen is nice for niche stuff

Sure, if you're absolutely made of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

That's because most of them are on kontanthjælp and don't want to be there.

That's not true, a lot of them are teenagers who don't want to be there