Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Saw an RV with Alaska plates driving in Phoenix towing a full sized truck. Because I need to be able to haul plywood when I am snowbirding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BigPaddy posted:

Saw an RV with Alaska plates driving in Phoenix towing a full sized truck. Because I need to be able to haul plywood when I am snowbirding.

Oh man I saw a RV flat towing a goddamn superduty.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Are RVs so heavy that the difference in fuel economy when towing something like that is negligible? I can't wrap my head around how expensive that must be, but I guess these are generally retirees that somehow have a lot of money (or credit card debt?).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/DFpOq6m.mp4

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Holy wtf. Talk about threading the goddamn needle. At 150kph as well…

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Holy gently caress.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

jesus tapdancing christ :stare:
Solid line too.

StormDrain posted:

Oh man I saw a RV flat towing a goddamn superduty.
Last summer I saw a monster class A pusher towing a separate 25'ish tow behind RV. And it wasn't dealer transport, they were turning into a campground.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah that would make me stop riding immediately for sure.

Had enough incidents to stop me from riding but nothing close to that, Jesus

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I saw something in a parking lot outside a grocery store in one of the worst parts of Portland today. It looked like a spaceship, which in this part of town made it stand out.

But I noticed it had completely recessed door handles and absolutely no discernible brand name. All I could see was a tag that said EV6.

Cool looking space car or not, shouldn't they make sure an idiot like myself knows what brand of car they are looking at?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I saw something in a parking lot outside a grocery store in one of the worst parts of Portland today. It looked like a spaceship, which in this part of town made it stand out.

But I noticed it had completely recessed door handles and absolutely no discernible brand name. All I could see was a tag that said EV6.

Cool looking space car or not, shouldn't they make sure an idiot like myself knows what brand of car they are looking at?

Sounds like someone was embarrassed about the KIA branding on their $50 grand EV

...unless you are one of the 46% that can't recognize that says KIA

Carteret fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 6, 2023

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

If you google "KN car" you'll see what a success that branding has been

:catstare: it has been a very long time since a video has made my palms sweat like that

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

New Zealand can eat me posted:

If you google "KN car" you'll see what a success that branding has been

this new logo is so, so bad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It extremely obviously says "kia" and if you can't see that you are brain damaged. It can't possibly be an N because it's backwards! It's like the people who think Walt Disney's signature says Waly Gisnep even though that makes no goddamn sense.

If you really can't handle the letterforms, just pretend it's an abstract symbol like the Chevrolet logo and you just have to learn what it means.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 6, 2023

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If the average car buyer looks at a car's logo and then has trouble figuring out where they go to buy the car then the logo is bad. The logo is bad.

e: expensive cars that the average car buyer can't buy are exempted.

Galler fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 6, 2023

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

It can't possibly be an N because it's backwards!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

It extremely obviously says "kia" and if you can't see that you are brain damaged. It can't possibly be an N because it's backwards! It's like the people who think Walt Disney's signature says Waly Gisnep even though that makes no goddamn sense.

If you really can't handle the letterforms, just pretend it's an abstract symbol like the Chevrolet logo and you just have to learn what it means.

Lots of company logos include backward letters, and it is a natural thing to try when parsing a new, unknown logo.

Ultimately, if your logo isn't being read the way you intended, you failed in its design. It's not the fault of the people for misreading it. They're parsing it based on what they've seen before and backwards letters have long been fair game.

Or perhaps KIA is even more clever, in that the design is deliberabely ambiguous to get people arguing about it on the internet which garners free advertising and brand exposure for them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sagebrush posted:

Are you by any chance a graphic designer because you're doing a lot of caping for bad design.

"...you just have to learn what it means..."

But it's text? :lol:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The thing with Kia is that it says "KИ" and although i'm not russian, i keep reading it as 'Key'.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
In that case just imagine it says KЯ

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
On that Kia -

I genuinely thought it looked pretty loving cool, but stood there for a second looking for a recognizable logo. I could see the KN thing, but it looked so abstract I figured it was a new automaker.

Anyone following the Ask/Tell carbuying thread knows I've been staring at advertisements for all models of cars for a month or two. I feel like a logo shouldn't be a challenge to recognize for a person doing that task. Had it not been for the EV6, I would not have been able to communicate anything about it past, "The door handles were completely flat."

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Sagebrush posted:

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

When I first saw the new Kia logo I knew and recognized it was Kia's new logo.

Then someone pointed out the "kn car" thing and now I can't see anything else.

It's a bad logo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sagebrush posted:

Is Kia in the room with us right now?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I had to look it up, only just this moment realizing it's supposed to spell out KIA.

I legitimately thought it was KN, like initials meaning "Kia N Class" or some bullshit.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Isn’t he KIA rebrand only a NA rebrand? Like everywhere else they still use the legible logo but for North America, they felt like trying out the Nine Inch Nails logo look. If the lettering had separation, it would be readable. If the K and I were also skewed/italicized to match the A, it would be readable.

Seems like a design by committee thing where they just said “looks like future” and moved on…

Speaking of KIA, I kinda want one of the new Niro Hybrids.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Nah we got the stupid KN logo over here in the uk as well. Had to look up wtf it was lol

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I haven't been feeling well this morning and this certainly did not help.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m honestly surprised it took this long.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Needs some longhorns mounted on the front

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

slidebite posted:

Needs some longhorns mounted on the front

word

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
The Kia logo would be much better if it weren't a change from an already known and completely legible letterform logo to a different and less legible one.

The logo itself in a vacuum is fine, like any other logo you know on sight that has no textual relationship to its brand (Chevrolet etc.). I think it looks pretty sharp.

The logo as a change from the previous Kia logo is absolute trash and annihilates their brand identity.

I think that's why it's so polarizing, both sides are correct and talking past each other. It's a "good logo" in a design sense, it's a "bad logo" in actually functioning as a logo for Kia.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nuevo posted:

The logo as a change from the previous Kia logo is absolute trash and annihilates their brand identity.

Yeah this right here imo

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Speaking of bad logos in the auto industry:

The new logo fades from light blue to darker blue and displays the GM letters in lowercase type, is intended to evoke “the clean skies of a zero-emissions future and the energy of the Ultium [battery] platform,”

The originally GM logo was dated and boring for sure but why the already outdated web2.0 logo treatment? I absolutely love high on your own farts design consultancy garbage like this. Nothing beats that Pepsi logo design brief from years ago.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

I Might Be Adam posted:

Speaking of bad logos in the auto industry:

The new logo fades from light blue to darker blue and displays the GM letters in lowercase type, is intended to evoke “the clean skies of a zero-emissions future and the energy of the Ultium [battery] platform,”

The originally GM logo was dated and boring for sure but why the already outdated web2.0 logo treatment? I absolutely love high on your own farts design consultancy garbage like this. Nothing beats that Pepsi logo design brief from years ago.

That new one makes me think I’m looking at a new periodic element.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I heard a story on the radio about the new Kia logo. In 4D Branding Chess it’s apparently considered a success, because the fact that people are searching for “KN car” means people are interested. If they were obvious shitheaps people wouldn’t care what the brand was.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

"Who makes that lovely KN Car?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol remember this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Guinness posted:

I truly hate how every EV has to reinvent every solved problem in order to seem cool and futuristic and be a statement piece

For the love of god just make regular cars with an electric motor instead of an ICE

Applebees Appetizer posted:

How long before cars are made with no windows, all screens on the inside

I see you've played Cyberpunk 2077 (it's a mod on some car models for security/armoring - also gives you a panoramic view, which is cool as poo poo. In a world where the cameras never get damaged or fail.)

I did. For three days.
gently caress that noise.

Coincidentally, my doggo's name is also Bear.

He did not like the ice.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

I'd wager it's this as well. A lot of people don't have the luxury of not going to work for a day regardless of the reason.

A lot of it is this, yeah.
We're set up to be able to WFH, even before Covid, so we just did that. Literally closed the office and forbade folks to come in. I like my company a lot for stuff like this.