Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Excuse me they’re not slaves, they’re just live-in servants that I haven’t paid :colbert:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I don't usually watch any of the Sunday morning politico shows but seeing our pal Laura put on serious face and ask a Tory MP "have the Conservatives drifted too far to the left?" this morning, well I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

biglads posted:

I don't usually watch any of the Sunday morning politico shows but seeing our pal Laura put on serious face and ask a Tory MP "have the Conservatives drifted too far to the left?" this morning, well I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

The "Well Actually, I'm Just Asking Questions" profession continues to be the most worthless on the planet.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/t0nyyates/status/1621998561100500993

"Capital strike" magical thinking moves to the right. Something to be expected as the Tory base shifts increasingly out of the professional-managerial strata it once ruled, I feel

As per an observation I came across during the market panic: whilst relatively novel in the Anglosphere, it's actually pretty common on the right-wing of developing countries with vaguely Peronist conservatisms: the conservatism that emerges from a fusion of land interests with populist traditionalism, rather than an aspirational consumerist middle class

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lot of people in this thread maybe should read the War In Ukraine thread as well.

Maybe post their "the Ukrainians are all nazis and we should let Russia invade them" takes in there too.

because they'll get probated and/or banned

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Real talk if Corbyn is PM in 2021 then we obviously don't provide any arms to Ukraine and this is a disaster for them because the first couple of months of the war probably pan out the same but then at some point in the late spring or summer they run out of ammo and the country is overrun and Bucha happens everywhere. Probably some bad things happen to the Nazis who aren't the Russian Nazis, remembering that Putin's definition of Nazi is 'does not want to live in Russian client state'.

In the counterfactual nobody notices or thinks this is our fault though. Britain has been leading and a driving force in support to Ukraine and if we aren't doing that then we become middle/back of the pack and the average of the pack becomes 'thoughts and prayers and some helmets'. Ukraine falls, everyone is very upset about it, and today everyone is talking about the need to normalise relations with Russia. There's probably some furious verbal back and forth when Corbyn expresses his views in the way Ronya says he does, but nobody believes that UK support would actually have given Ukraine a fighting chance so the impact is a bit muted.

There is absolutely no way Corbyn would support Sweden and Finland joining NATO, that becomes the actual political crisis in the UK.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like people get very weird about nato, given that I think very clearly the biggest impetus for people joining it is russia invading places that aren't part of it.

And I don't really think that the formal nato treaty has very much to do with western imperialist behaviour given that participation in that has been rather erratic among members, they do that largely independently.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1622155893629411329

:allears:

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Corbyn would have been Very British Coup’d long before the Ukraine crisis anyway, I can’t help but feel

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 5, 2023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Answers Me posted:

Corbyn would have been Very British Coup’d long before the Ukraine crisis anyway, I can’t help but feel

Yeah this is my feeling. Don't forget Covid was basically 2 months after he lost the election, even if he'd locked down earlier and harder and the death toll was 10% what it was irl, just pulling numbers out of my arse obviously, the papers would have monstered him both for the death toll and for the lockdowns "He's trying to turn our HOMES into gulags Norman!" etc. You'd have had the papers telling people to ignore them as best they could, I assume there would be legal options to make them not do that but then they'd accuse him of cracking down on the press, etc. Then the economic cost of furlough and all that would have been trumpeted to the high heavens, whereas for Boris it was an unfortunate but necessary cost that he graciously did anyway, if Corbyn did it, it'd be "Labour spent all the pounds AGAIN".

He'd have been utterly fuckbarreled imo.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I think at best, having "won the argument" by being elected and doing some good things, Corbyn would have made way for Starmer who promised to see through his legacy before summarily making it illegal to protest upon confirmation.

I also find it incredible that people think that Great Britain was the one thing that meant that Ukraine survived Russia's invasion. I'm sure we helped but I find it hard to believe we've been the difference maker in anything good in recent years.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol just popping over to another universe to complain about the unjust treatment of their Jeremy Corbyn, who looks quite fetching with a goatee.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol just popping over to another universe to complain about the unjust treatment of their Jeremy Corbyn, who looks quite fetching with a goatee.

gently caress off, I'm not pretending to read the stones or whatever, I'm just saying he'd have gotten monstered in largely the same way he did prior to the election and wouldn't have gotten a fair shake.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

COVID and inflation means that we'd probably be exactly where we are today: approximately nothing of the manifesto having actually been done and a cost of living crisis.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You seem to be very miserable, have you considered taking a break from posting and going for a walk instead?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Maybe call up a pal. Do MPs take calls on Sundays?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Lot of people in this thread maybe should read the War In Ukraine thread as well.

Maybe post their "the Ukrainians are all nazis and we should let Russia invade them" takes in there too.

because they'll get probated and/or banned

Very Putin-esque attitude to dissent OP. But thanks for the reminder how unreadable the rest of D&D is these days

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

forkboy84 posted:

Very Putin-esque attitude to dissent OP. But thanks for the reminder how unreadable the rest of D&D is these days

Bold way to say you're too cowardly to make your case somewhere where people actually know what they're talking about.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Answers Me posted:

we had a general come out and say this the summer before the election, and the media cycle was not “omg what?!” but “this is another reason corbyn needs to be stopped - so the institution doesn’t get embarrassed by this fella”

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I still think that had Corbyn become PM in 2019, there would have been a mass 'walkout' (or whatever the MP equivalent would be) of Labour MPs and he would simply have not been able to lead the party at all. While I believe that he would have been a better PM during covid if allowed to take the lead, it would not have happened, there would have been a mass campaign in the press to defy 'shelter in place' orders or whatever. So in that sense, it would have been a disaster.
Sadly, the British media owners & self-serving MPs will never allow anyone to threaten their wealth & influence.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Biriths politics is hosed. What country should I move to?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Corbyn was regularly going to Commons sessions despite being very much in the high risk 'stay at home and zoom in' category.

He probably has an extremely boring version of partygate where he visibly isn't following the guidance from day 1 and the legitimacy of lockdowns fall apart.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Bold way to say you're too cowardly to make your case somewhere where people actually know what they're talking about.

I love to debate and discuss with people who’ve said they’ll cry to teacher when they see incorrect thought

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Turning "If you argue in here, you'll get banned" to "See, I knew you were to scared to argue" is a weird move. Why would forkboy84 feel at all inclined to post in that thread when you just said if they did, they'd get banned?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Corbyn was regularly going to Commons sessions despite being very much in the high risk 'stay at home and zoom in' category.

He probably has an extremely boring version of partygate where he visibly isn't following the guidance from day 1 and the legitimacy of lockdowns fall apart.

attends that wake with one extra person that was supposed to be allowed subsequently leading to his impeachment and arrest by officer rapesalot

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
D&D is totally unreadable, unlike C-SPAM where everyone is Very Normal and doesn’t at all have a massive boner for Putin

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I have bad news for you about other countries

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

In the face of an actual crisis Corbyn and McDonnell institute a media blackout, arresting en masse journalists and newspaper owners who whinge about lockdown regulations. Without the opinion columnist feedback loop the remaining Labour MPs fall into line. A resurgent UK economy funds left-MI6, who send agent James Marx 007 out to shoot Putin before the war can begin.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
The mental state of someone accusing Ukraine of being a bunch of Nazis when Zelenskyy is Jewish is simply adopting the Russian definition of 'Nazi' as being opposed to Russia.

Still utterly gobsmacked that Boris finally landed on the right side of an issue - defending Ukraine against genocide.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Rust Martialis posted:

Still utterly gobsmacked that Boris finally landed on the right side of an issue - defending Ukraine against genocide.

If only to have somewhere to run off to that actually liked him.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

The mental state of someone accusing Ukraine of being a bunch of Nazis when Zelenskyy is Jewish is simply adopting the Russian definition of 'Nazi' as being opposed to Russia.

The side Johnson landed on was extracting as much persona political capital out of a situation as possible in order to shore up his own support. Everything else was secondary to playing military leader for the benefit of the press gallery (and his own personal ego). Luckily it didn’t work, though he keeps trying

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

You can never leave Birithn.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

forkboy84 posted:

Someone with more patience than me, can you confirm ronya took this opportunity to reinforce their thesis that Corbyn, and everyone else ever, is a neoliberal?

No. Ronya gave a pretty accurate read on how JC would have handled Ukraine if he was in government, which was “more or less the same as how he handled it in opposition”. I don’t see how neoliberalism factors into it one way or another. But as others have said, there’s a fairly good chance he would have been soft couped before then.

As for the UKR / Russia thing, before the war I had both Ukrainian and Russian friends. After the invasion the Russians had the privilege of not having their loving family home burned down or levelled with missiles or people their parents knew since childhood dragged out into the streets and shot, and the Ukrainians didn’t. Don’t try and invoke leftism to defend the Russian invasion or suggest that the Ukrainian government has any duty at all to end the war on terms acceptable to Russia.

E: to elaborate on the last point, they may choose to negotiate an end to the war on any terms they want, but it’s shitstain behaviour to roll your eyes at them for not giving up more when you aren’t giving up anything.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 5, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Do you have any idea how much you sound like a Putin shill right now? Even if everything you say is accurate, we are at worst arming and training one gang of fash to stop a larger gang of fash with nuclear weapons building an empire by conquest that will wind up on our own border. If Putin takes Ukraine he isn't even going to bother lying like Hitler did about the Sudetenland. He's going to continue with his long term plan of hoovering up all the other former Soviet republics that aren't already part of NATO. Unlike Ukraine these countries are too small to effectively resist with any Western help short of direct military intervention - and that means World War 3.

As for Ukraine: what exactly do you think they're going to do with their newly trained army if they win? Invade Belarus? gently caress no. They'll be constantly preparing for the Russians to come back, but that's all they could do. They'll know that if they get belligerent the support they got as brave defenders will vanish in the first breeze, and it won't return when a bunch of Z-marked tanks trundle back into the Donbas.

Let me spell this out for you. It is now quite well-documented that we are presently giving arms, training, and publicity to people wearing the symbols of an ideology that used to put people like me in ovens. It is also quite well-documented that they are using these arms, training, and publicity to develop and support far-right domestic terrorist movements around the world, which are guaranteed to attack folks like me and the people I care about. I don't give a flying poo poo about your interforum proxy wars, and the fact that folks ITT are bringing those up or calling me a 'Putin shill' for not being super keen on us supporting movements dedicated to my extermination is pretty goddamned disheartening.

Grow the gently caress up.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Let me spell this out for you. It is now quite well-documented that we are presently giving arms, training, and publicity to people wearing the symbols of an ideology that used to put people like me in ovens. It is also quite well-documented that they are using these arms, training, and publicity to develop and support far-right domestic terrorist movements around the world, which are guaranteed to attack folks like me and the people I care about. I don't give a flying poo poo about your interforum proxy wars, and the fact that folks ITT are bringing those up or calling me a 'Putin shill' for not being super keen on us supporting movements dedicated to my extermination is pretty goddamned disheartening.

Grow the gently caress up.

Every single country on Earth has far right people hth. So no country should be helped? Cool

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No no no, we just have to help only the working class. You know, by, uh... By... Um... It'll come to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Any chance of containing the poo poo opinions about Ukraine in CSPAM?