Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

I went 3-0 then had to scoop the 4th round to catch a train

Then I missed the train anyway

The 0/3 mana dork was really good and Nissa is just unreasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

anyone else kill themself with skrelk's hive tonight?

Yes! Twice! :getin:

I went home with a collector's box and set box - and I gotta say the collectors box feels pretty drat good this time around! The foil treatment on the Japanese printed cards is sharp as gently caress and the surface is really, really clean and unmarred with no noticeable streaks or cloudiness that I often see on the foils. The description says "at least 2 ichor cards" per pack but I was routinely getting 4ish per pack with a good portion of those being rare/mythic. There is this really nice matte finish to it, the rainbow effect is very nice and so far they aren't curling that much. I got a nice portion of rares/mythics in these slots.

I don't care much for the 'compleated foil' though - these have some printer/roller streaks on the surface that show up pretty sharply. And these ones are curling, unlike the regular foils :( tbh I'd rather just have a regular foil version of these cards. Got a Vraska and Vindicator in completed foils.

In the 12 collectors packs I opened:

19 mythics/rare ichor/compleated foils
24 common/uncommon ichors

the non-ichor mythic/rares are harder to say - my 6 prerelease packs, 5 set boosters and buy-a-box- promo card got mixed into this pile. I have 59 of these.

The Saddest Robot fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 4, 2023

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The 0/3 mana dork was really good and Nissa is just unreasonable

Nissa is the main card I want from the set. Backup 'hoof for my Titania meld deck.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Photo really doesn't do it justice - this guy looks so loving good IRL.

Also I was anticipating not getting enough token cards for whatever I ended up playing so I drew up some of my own on post-it notes. I love the mites, I'm not as happy with how the rebels turned out.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

The Saddest Robot posted:

Also I was anticipating not getting enough token cards for whatever I ended up playing so I drew up some of my own on post-it notes. I love the mites, I'm not as happy with how the rebels turned out.

I love those :allears:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

After normal release, apparently.

My store has always had multiple sealed prerelease events that weekend.

Khanstant posted:

Do y'all's stores have trouble with prereleases? This my first time at my LGS for a traditional standard pre-release and they didn't do prize support because evidently since like Kaldheim every pre-release before tonight had a crash so this was there was to just avoid that risk.

The companion app has crashed on prerelease before but that's still pretty unusual. Whenever it went down we ended up doing manual pairings.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Compleated Jace carrying his mite back out of his office for the umpteenth time rules. "Is it crate time? I think it's crate time."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Photo really doesn't do it justice - this guy looks so loving good IRL.

these are fantastic tokens

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I went to a pre-release last night and when I got there, nearly everyone was cracking boxes and just piling cards up. Then they passed out pre-release kits and I played against some extremely consistent and powerful decks. I definitely think people were adding cards to their pool but I have no evidence to support that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Went 0-4 at my pre-release. I built an Abzan deck that did terribly, so I rebuilt it into a Dimir control deck that did better but still not up to snuff. One game went to time in game 2 and rather than do a draw I just conceded to the other guy because about a month or so ago he got bullied into playing in a cEDH tournament with a 2022 starter deck and I still feel bad about it. Dropped games to some truly terrible players so I think I might just be done with Limited after also posting a 0-4 in DMU.

I did get the concept praetor version of Vorinclex in my pity prize booster so the day wasn't a total loss.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I always concede if there's going to be a draw, sometimes.vorh ppl agree and just roll for it. There's no reason to leave a draw as far as I know, just means one less person gets one less pack. I guess maybe if you own the store you'd want to not give out the extra pack but never seen a store owner or employee at our FNM playing.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
Our LGS has prizes of set boosters based on:

3-0 = 6 packs
2-0-1 = 4 packs
2-1 = 2 packs

I was 2-0 going into match 3 against another guy who was 2-0. Prior to starting, he offered to submit a draw so we both get 4 packs and then just play for fun, which I agreed to. Then I beat him with my WRG pile that had the emperor and Lukka planeswalkers and the mythic green dominus that doubles all my power/toughness. I was still happy to get the 4 packs because it made that last match just us going hog wild with our plays with a lot less pressure.

The emperor is pretty busted, either making 2/2 double strikers or the +1 is exiling something until it's owner's next end step, so I could exile blockers and they wouldn't even come back until after their turn. Not sure how much play it'll see since it's expensive but it worked in a limited environment.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ObsidianBeast posted:

Our LGS has prizes of set boosters based on:

3-0 = 6 packs
2-0-1 = 4 packs
2-1 = 2 packs

I was 2-0 going into match 3 against another guy who was 2-0. Prior to starting, he offered to submit a draw so we both get 4 packs and then just play for fun, which I agreed to. Then I beat him with my WRG pile that had the emperor and Lukka planeswalkers and the mythic green dominus that doubles all my power/toughness. I was still happy to get the 4 packs because it made that last match just us going hog wild with our plays with a lot less pressure.

The emperor is pretty busted, either making 2/2 double strikers or the +1 is exiling something until it's owner's next end step, so I could exile blockers and they wouldn't even come back until after their turn. Not sure how much play it'll see since it's expensive but it worked in a limited environment.

I didn't play, but I watched a few matches, and it's early but might be safe to say the Emporer is this format's Dream Trawler. I can't believe it's a rare.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Khanstant posted:

I always concede if there's going to be a draw, sometimes.vorh ppl agree and just roll for it. There's no reason to leave a draw as far as I know, just means one less person gets one less pack. I guess maybe if you own the store you'd want to not give out the extra pack but never seen a store owner or employee at our FNM playing.

people used to get dci banned for "improperly deciding game outcome" more often than any reason. 'a system of skill' vs 'random chance' was one of those gray areas that keeps wizard poker tourneys for cash and prizes distinct from gambling, and so they frown at deciding the winner by a dice roll. (at least do it in secret and take it to your grave)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Not like there's usually the judge within earshot anyway but good to know I guess, personally think this gambling product should be treated as such but that's a whole other can of worms.

I'd take the loss if they didn't want to roll, better then get a pack than no one. The last games of the night whether I'm winning or losing I'm usually pretty ready to go and have a small voice saying I can concede whenever I want and get dinner lol.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I started a job at a LGS in my area right before Brother's War so I have been inundated in Magic for a few months now. I work on Friday nights and we had a massive turnout for this new set, we had to turn like 10 people or so away because we filled up on signup night. Brother's War and Dominaria Remastered were big but we didn't fill up on those prerelease nights.

I have also started playing myself, though I don't think I have the time or money to like, play regularly. But when Dominaria Remastered released, the owner held a free staff draft for it and I actually had a ton of fun. I had a blue/black deck with four Eyes of Orms-by-Gore and went undefeated for my first three matches simply because they couldn't be blocked (pretty sure nobody had a wall in their deck) and are pretty beefy defensively. Then the last three matches I had bad luck in that my final opponent had a black deck himself so most of my removal didn't work on him, and I had trouble drawing lands so I couldn't get anything out on the field.

At the very least I now understand why the majority of people in our Final Fantasy TCG group are ex-Magic players. That game is extremely similar to Magic, to the point that most of them use Magic terms instead of FFTCG terms (such as tap/untap instead of dull/activate).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the mtg terminology is kind of the base language of all tcgs just by virtue of it doing it first, and I think most of its terms are very clean and clear

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

flatluigi posted:

the mtg terminology is kind of the base language of all tcgs just by virtue of it doing it first, and I think most of its terms are very clean and clear

Most of them take a quick trip to the thesaurus (eg Rotated for Tapped)

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Comparing an American printed foil (left) to a Japanese printed foil (right). Its subtle in this picture since the left one isn't curling too much but the Japanese foil is almost flat.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Here in Europe, haven't really seen many curled foils - the only one I own that I think of as being particularly curly is an Overbeing of Myth from eventide. Americans are really being shanked on the card stock.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
part of the whole deal with curled foils is that the cards are in a different humidity and climate than when they were printed, so if you're in a less humid climate or one that just matches better you're generally in better luck

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

hello, i haven't played magic in paper since roughly ikoria just due to no job so yesterday's prerelease was the first time i'd done one for a few years

kaito is really loving stupid if they can't deal with him, especially if you get a nuts sealed pool like me with ichormoon gauntlet and the white dominus :smugdog:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Here in Europe, haven't really seen many curled foils - the only one I own that I think of as being particularly curly is an Overbeing of Myth from eventide. Americans are really being shanked on the card stock.

Your cards are also coming from a different printer.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Yeah the American printers are pretty inconsistent in terms of quality wrt to black levels, saturation, color bleeding, finish (especially on the foils) and cleanness of edges.

This is the first set since I've come back where I actually want the foils.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mix. posted:

hello, i haven't played magic in paper since roughly ikoria just due to no job so yesterday's prerelease was the first time i'd done one for a few years

kaito is really loving stupid if they can't deal with him, especially if you get a nuts sealed pool like me with ichormoon gauntlet and the white dominus :smugdog:

I should really try getting good cards in my pool, instead of all bad ones everytime I play sealed :negative:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yeah the American printers are pretty inconsistent in terms of quality wrt to black levels, saturation, color bleeding, finish (especially on the foils) and cleanness of edges.

The printer in the US (well one of them) is right by me. There is a facebook group in which an employee of that place is a part of. The issues with their printing is a combination of a lot of things. The printer is not a great work environment and the equipment has had all sorts of issues. But the thing that stands out is that they have said (take it for what its worth) that wotc/hasbro has asked for repeatedly for ways to make the printing cheaper. They have put pressure on them to cheap out to the point that the process becomes even more unreliable.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

flatluigi posted:

That makes sense, FFTCG is still incredibly similar to Magic though (backups are lands, forwards are creatures, summons are instants, etc). Some terms are even the same between the two (Haste and First Strike being the big two).

It made learning Magic on our draft night incredibly easy because I already essentially knew how the game worked from FFTCG. Really things that were new to me were you can have as many lands as you want (FF only lets you have five backups), and you can combine blockers (as opposed to FF where attackers can form a party, but blockers can't). Well, and also how damage works (just flat 20 HP for Magic, as opposed to 7 HP in FF, which permanently removes cards from your deck).

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

I had a lot of fun playing at the prerelease. It was great to be back at a store playing with paper cards. So that was a win.

I lost all of my games though. I swear this was the absolute WORST card pulls I have ever got at a prerelease.

-Five of my rares were all off color from the other decent cards, and four of those rares are absolute limited environment garbage.

-there were ZERO alternate art or other cool things like that

-it seemed like of the limited archetype synergies in this set, I was missing half of what it needed to work IE I had a lot of corrupted cards, but total trash in the way of Toxic things in the colors I would run.

-it also didn’t help that of my six games I played, I didn’t get above three lands for five of them. That’s just getting ‘Magic the Gathering’d’ though I guess.

Again I had a lot of fun but the cards I received did not help with that. Thank you for listening.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Drafted ONE. Opened a p1p1 thrun, a p3p1 Koth, and was passed 4 r/g rares in the middle and just played stompy. Would skillfully recommend.

Would have given it up to be the guy who opened a foil junji ito elesh norn

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

shootforit posted:

I had a lot of fun playing at the prerelease. It was great to be back at a store playing with paper cards. So that was a win.

I lost all of my games though. I swear this was the absolute WORST card pulls I have ever got at a prerelease.

-Five of my rares were all off color from the other decent cards, and four of those rares are absolute limited environment garbage.

-there were ZERO alternate art or other cool things like that

This sounds like an accurate depiction of a bunch of my sealed experiences lol

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Yeah, seems like Japan handled the majority of the printing for ONE. I'll take the disruption to my normal pack opening if it means the foils stay in better shape.

Vvv must be different shipments. My set boosters were the The List/Rares at the front Japanese style.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 6, 2023

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
There's a definite difference between my prerelease packs and set boosters, it looks like the set boosters are still the bad American printers

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/dawn_delozier/status/1622422525090078723

This kind of poo poo is why i'm pretty much 100% out on competitive magic these days. I can't imagine wanting to spend my time with these people.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Wow that opponent is real scum. Jeez.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

This kind of poo poo is why i'm pretty much 100% out on competitive magic these days. I can't imagine wanting to spend my time with these people.

The win-at-costs mentality of your mtg grinder is a lot of handle.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Is there a rule against recording matches? I feel like if I were playing at that level I’d bring a little tripod and just point my phone at the board to prevent this sort of bullshit.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Opened 4 planeswalkers at the prerelease

I opened 3, did you have the same experience I had?

I went greedy (ish? not really greedy even, in retrospect) playing all 3. I was base green and had enough fixing that mana was never once an issue. I just put in all the stuff I could to stall, knowing my late game was... well, 3 planeswalkers...

Anyway, round one, game one, turn, maybe, 4? I was like: "Oh poo poo, I see. I'm going to lose all day long".

The creatures in this format are just so pushed that playing anything other than aggro / midrange seemed like a huge mistake.
/edit

Oh, no yeah you went the aggro / midrange route. I tried to make a control shell. Oops.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Loucks posted:

Is there a rule against recording matches? I feel like if I were playing at that level I’d bring a little tripod and just point my phone at the board to prevent this sort of bullshit.

In some places there will be laws against that, but also just don't be a weirdo.

Their opponent sucks, sure, but also, at major events, your life will be immeasurably easier if you just do p&p life totals like we've been telling people for decades. So much of this just goes away if you do this basic thing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

At this point my understanding of any paper event I will ever go to is I can, under no circumstances, assume my opponent will ever act with good faith and integrity and have to make sure single thing is deliberate and loudly agreed upon by both parties. And even then I could have dumb stuff like this come up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Toshimo posted:

In some places there will be laws against that, but also just don't be a weirdo.

Their opponent sucks, sure, but also, at major events, your life will be immeasurably easier if you just do p&p life totals like we've been telling people for decades. So much of this just goes away if you do this basic thing.

p&p life totals, but also clearly marking what match and what game with the match score circled at the bottom of each game is what i went to after a guy tried to turn a match into a draw years ago

apparently he'd been suspended for cheating previously and a judge had to take counterspell out of his modern deck earlier in the day