Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

I started playing at the end of 2021 and shadowbringers/endwalker were very much worth the time I spent on the game, for what it's worth, and like I said in my effortpost I think the journey is worth it. never going to blame anyone for not feeling the vibes of the game, just a little grumpy at dumping on something you're actively skipping

I get that, i started skipping for personal reasons. Lolorito is the reason I stopped watching.

He even tried messing up my culinary quests!

The story just leans into betrayal constantly, to the point where I felt I couldn’t trust anyone, which makes the story not fun. I read some plot synopsis for future expansions, which confirmed you just keep getting used, and I don’t like stories like that. At no point did I feel like I was winning, or a hero or anything like that. (Well, early ARR had some good hero stuff, but then it switch to just trying to keep up with the lies.)

Keep in mind, thats just my opinion of the MSQ. I love the world and the setting, and the job and side quests are all great and varied. (I have 23 classes to 50, I think?) my rule of thumb is all the stories below the power scale of Primals rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reubenesque Sandwich posted:

I get that, i started skipping for personal reasons. Lolorito is the reason I stopped watching.

He even tried messing up my culinary quests!

The story just leans into betrayal constantly, to the point where I felt I couldn’t trust anyone, which makes the story not fun. I read some plot synopsis for future expansions, which confirmed you just keep getting used, and I don’t like stories like that. At no point did I feel like I was winning, or a hero or anything like that. (Well, early ARR had some good hero stuff, but then it switch to just trying to keep up with the lies.)

This is what happens when you skip cutscenes and browse summaries. A BIG part of the later expansions are built on recognizing that you are the Hero of Light, Total Badass, Unstoppable poo poo-Kicker, and Hero of Eorzea.

Especially Shadowbringers.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah I'm not going to go to much into it (this is a recommendation thread after all and undercutting games before people go play them sucks) but you've got some fundamental misunderstandings happening thanks to the cliff notes of the story you went and looked up

at the very least I think heavensward is the beginning of knowing who is worth your trust; there's definitely a chunk of ARR that plays on your character being a naive fresh faced adventurer but it's very much not an arc that carries across the whole msq

flatluigi has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Feb 5, 2023

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is what happens when you skip cutscenes and browse summaries. A BIG part of the later expansions are built on recognizing that you are the Hero of Light, Total Badass, Unstoppable poo poo-Kicker, and Hero of Eorzea.

Especially Shadowbringers.

Oh cool! So Lolorito, who used and abused both you AND your friends gets his? You get to fight him, and everyone sees who he is? He gets exposed as the power behind the throne and properly punished?

Im just explaining what my issue is, and I figured if the story didn’t work for me in ARR, the 100+ missions post-ARR, and all of Heavensword didn’t grab me, that I don’t have faith in the writers writing a story that I like.

I 100% understand that its for personal reasons it didn’t land with me, and I am happy and jealous of those who get to fully enjoy the MSQ. Only thing I got out of the deal was Stormblood only took like, two days of playing once I started skipping errything.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
are you going to be happy if I say 'yes, and part of that was in the bits of stormblood you skipped'

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

are you going to be happy if I say 'yes, and part of that was in the bits of stormblood you skipped'

For sure. I understand he’s very handsome too, haha.

Seriously, I do love the game. Its great! crafting is a joy, POTD rules, and of course the endless train of mounts/minions/fashion.

It does what I want from an MMO spectacularly. Another little thing, I love its cross play and I can play on both console and PC. (Tho fair warning you do have to but it twice to do that.)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Reubenesque Sandwich posted:

For sure. I understand he’s very handsome too, haha.

no, seriously. like I said at the top, part of what I like about the game is that it can revisit poo poo that happened a while back in the story since it has a lot to leverage, and the capitalist fuckers that exploit ul'dah do eventually return to some level of focus and get some of their due (but also a bit of it is also understanding that it's not a situation that gets solved by just merc'ing one of them and moving on, which is probably less of a happy thing for you to hear)

it's just as the warrior of light there sure are a bunch of assholes you meet and want to deal with but also there are some world ending calamities that are taking a little bit of priority to your character before you start punting that potato down the street

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

grittyreboot posted:

They did that with the original. The head guy for the remake said he wanted to keep as much of the sound design from the first one as possible. Smart move, imo.

Well, I still think the angry-yelling of the Necromorphs is still dumb. It makes them unscary.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I want to play FFXIV but it was a game my ex and I spent 400+ hours playing through together and she left me for a friend of ours whose name was literally Chad and I'm real fuckin bitter about it and can't play it anymore

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

credburn posted:

I want to play FFXIV but it was a game my ex and I spent 400+ hours playing through together and she left me for a friend of ours whose name was literally Chad and I'm real fuckin bitter about it and can't play it anymore

Yeh but have you heard Heavensward is really good

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

credburn posted:

so the little thing in the game was you

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

flatluigi posted:

holy poo poo lmao

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

flatluigi posted:

gently caress.

PYF Little Things in Games: so the little thing in the game was you

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

just an emptyquote is traditional

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:drat:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

flatluigi posted:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Am playing Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and fairly late game you head into the flooded subterranean area. Get to the bottom of that and... You're in a classic Castlevania aesthetic Drac's castle and a great version of Vampire Killer is playing. Badass.

Plus you're by this point OP enough to chew through the old school vania enemies.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tunic: an item you find lategame that’s kinda trash imo, an item you put in your accessory slot that inflicts fire damage/burning when you swing a melee weapon around, but caps your max HP at 1, which offsets how good fire damage is normally. For why this is in this thread and not the other, spoilers unless you’ve reached the lategame: this item is gated behind a door that requires a button sequence to activate, but the sequence is intuitive once you know it because it’s based on the door’s pattern. And in the early game you’re normally shut off from a bunch of areas because you can’t cut bushes, but you definitely can swing at them with your stick and they’ll burn up. They made an item whose purpose is at least partially to let the player sequence break on replays, since there’s more than one sword in the world to find anyway. Fantastic.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Mamkute posted:

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire: The DexNav system has lots of convenient features.

The "secret base" system in Ruby/Sapphire is my favorite little thing in a Pokemon game, and I get grumpy as hell every time a new mainline Pokemon game comes out without it. :colbert:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Pokemon is the absolute king poo poo of introducing neat features and gimmicks for a single generation and then dropkicking them into a loving pit forever after it, barring the inevitable remake of said generation.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

And somehow it still surprises people every time they do it lol

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I just wanna make a cute little hideout in a tree stump and fill it with Snorlax plush toys. :smith:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Read After Burning posted:

I just wanna make a cute little hideout in a tree stump and fill it with Snorlax plush toys. :smith:

:same:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

And in Pokemon too

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Strategic Tea posted:

And in Pokemon too

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Someone at work was watching the new Harry Potter game which seems chocked full of fetch quests for other students who can't be assed to use the same magic spells you have to solve their own issues.

What is cool is that every quest I've seen gives you the option to keep the object while telling the quest giver to gently caress off. I doubt it has any greater impact on the story, but I'm legit surprised the game allows you to do that.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In Dead Space, Isaac has two different audios for when he starts running out of air. In a vacuum he'll start gasping, while in poisonous rooms he'll start gagging and coughing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I just bought asuras wrath on sale and I don’t know what’s going on but I do like it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

oldpainless posted:

I just bought asuras wrath on sale and I don’t know what’s going on but I do like it.

More like old situational-awareness-less.

(Or old in-media-res-less.)

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Am playing Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and fairly late game you head into the flooded subterranean area. Get to the bottom of that and... You're in a classic Castlevania aesthetic Drac's castle and a great version of Vampire Killer is playing. Badass.

Plus you're by this point OP enough to chew through the old school vania enemies.

the DS castlevania's are pretty great, but Dawn of Sorrow is the best of 'em imo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bewilderment posted:

The cool speedrun/efficiency trick I'm seeing is that the altfire of the Force Gun deploys a little laser emitter that does damage as long as the enemy is in the beam.
The original intent seems to be that you use them to lay traps.

Or you could stick them onto a physics object and then just use Kinesis to point what is now an infinite-ammo laser at your enemies, killing them faster at the cost of less ammo than most other weapons. Just make sure you don't pick it up weirdly or knock it against a doorframe so the laserbeams swing into you.

It's hilarious to watch.

(not my video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO9esnReRpc&t=14s

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Little thing I just noticed in Hi-Fi Rush: There's a mission where you have to drain the budget of a maniacal video game R&D project leader, where you can see his funding drain in real time. At one point he gets so fed up with his programmers that he teleports them into the field to get blown up by lava, at which point his budget slightly goes back up from no longer having to pay their salary.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Little thing I just noticed in Hi-Fi Rush: There's a mission where you have to drain the budget of a maniacal video game R&D project leader, where you can see his funding drain in real time. At one point he gets so fed up with his programmers that he teleports them into the field to get blown up by lava, at which point his budget slightly goes back up from no longer having to pay their salary.

i kind of love it when games are topical.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.
Hi-Fi Rush is so goddamn good, and I'm not a person who even usually likes DMC style games. So much style and personality without being obnoxious. You can tell it was made by people who had a blast working on it.

Plus the animation is staggeringly good. Better than a lot of purely animated shows good.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tango gameworks - the dev team behind hi-fi rush - was founded by notably ridiculously prolific gamedev shinji mikami and i think at least the viewtiful joe/god hand/bayonetta dna shows in it

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

flatluigi posted:

tango gameworks - the dev team behind hi-fi rush - was founded by notably ridiculously prolific gamedev shinji mikami and i think at least the viewtiful joe/god hand/bayonetta dna shows in it

Yeah once I realised it was made by Mikami's company it shot way up my list of games to play.
What a legend. Resident Evil 1, the RE1 remake, RE4, God Hand.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

flatluigi posted:

Are there any Okami references? :allears:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

oldpainless posted:

There is a special button which allows you to interrupt certain people when they try talking to you about something. You will know when this happens. Always press the button.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

Are there any Okami references? :allears:

I think Okami is now property of platinum studios so tango can’t reference it

lots of callbacks to Evil Within though

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Feb 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's stuff you can do to reference properties even if you don't have the IP. E.g. you could have a white dog hanging out somewhere with a sword, mirror, and string of beads. But yeah, having that dog be named Amaterasu and giving them magic paintbrush powers would probably be too much.