Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Brady isn't coming back til a contender loses their starter (or SF loses their starter and backup) in October/November, and he'll bring JJ Watt with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

I would normally say this is just Josh McDaniels doing the same thing he did with Jay Cutler but apparently Mark Davis also hates Derek Carr and wants him gone?
There was a bunch of chatter about Gruden not liking Carr and wanting him gone when they hired him, but absolutely nothing came of that.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

The Raiders are going to look absolutely stupid when Carr immediately goes to the playoffs with the Jets or whichever NFCS team he choices.

The Commanders are a legit Superbowl contender with Carr, but I don't think he'll want to go there.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's ridiculous how all these teams are obsessed with fanty and aren't champing at the bit

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

MrLogan posted:

The Raiders are going to look absolutely stupid when Carr immediately goes to the playoffs with the Jets or whichever NFCS team he choices.

The Commanders are a legit Superbowl contender with Carr, but I don't think he'll want to go there.

Carr was bad this year, even if you want to put on the homer rose colored glasses and say "well the defense sucked" that does not change the fact he was given DeVante Adams and still played like poo poo.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nodoze posted:

Carr was bad this year, even if you want to put on the homer rose colored glasses and say "well the defense sucked" that does not change the fact he was given DeVante Adams and still played like poo poo.

He was also given Josh McDaniels, a clown, as his head coach.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He was also given Josh McDaniels, a clown, as his head coach.

He's still a good offensive coach, whether you believe he is or ever will be a good HC or not.

If this was any team other than the Raiders, or Jets I guess, everyone wouldn't be looking at it so sideways. But Carr was not good last year, and his INT% has been sliding upward for four seasons in a row

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 5, 2023

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nodoze posted:

He's still a good offensive coach, whether you believe he is or ever will be a good HC or not.

If this was any team other than the Raiders, or Jets I guess, everyone wouldn't be looking at it so sideways. But Carr was not good last year, and his INT% has been sliding upward for four seasons in a row

He had good offenses with Tom Brady and one okay year with Mac Jones. That’s the sum of all evidence that he’s a good offensive coach. He obviously tried to jam his system in without being willing to adapt it to the personnel in LV and unsurprisingly it went poorly.

Carrs int percentage for the last five years was

1.8, 1.6, 1.7, 2.2, 2.8

That’s not a four year trend, that’s a three year plateau with a big spike coinciding with three different offensive coaches in two years. This year is also the highest it’s ever been. When a guy loses 8 points of completion percentage over his previous four seasons it’s not because he suddenly forgot how to throw the ball right, it’s because his coach doesn’t know what to do with him.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

The one year he was the OC for Saint Louis, they were the worst offense in football. The only times he has had sustained success on offense has been with Tom Brady. Blaming Carr when there were multiple times this season I was watching wide receivers run into each other seems silly. So I will not be giving McDaniels the benefit of the doubt.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Also Davante had a career year and the only other receivers who played a substantial part of the season at all were Mack Hollins and Foster Moreau so good luck to anybody with that.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He had good offenses with Tom Brady and one okay year with Mac Jones. That’s the sum of all evidence that he’s a good offensive coach. He obviously tried to jam his system in without being willing to adapt it to the personnel in LV and unsurprisingly it went poorly.

Carrs int percentage for the last five years was

1.8, 1.6, 1.7, 2.2, 2.8

That’s not a four year trend, that’s a three year plateau with a big spike coinciding with three different offensive coaches in two years. This year is also the highest it’s ever been. When a guy loses 8 points of completion percentage over his previous four seasons it’s not because he suddenly forgot how to throw the ball right, it’s because his coach doesn’t know what to do with him.

I didn't watch a lot of Raiders games this year, but at least my perception of McDaniels as a Dolphins fan has been that he's been very good at adapting to a wide range of personnel, and he's about as good a "small ball" coach as there is in the NFL. It's largely been with Tom Brady, but I think he's undeniably done some good work with other guys. I think there should probably be some consideration that Mac Jones sucks, and he's done some solid work with other guys over the years coming in for Brady being a cheater, blowing his ACL, etc.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hamhandler posted:

l I think he's undeniably done some good work with other guys.

This is very deniable, as it's never happened

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

indigi posted:

This is very deniable, as it's never happened

I mean, he got Tebow to the playoffs. Still was kind of a fluke

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sataere posted:

I mean, he got Tebow to the playoffs. Still was kind of a fluke

By drafting him I suppose, but it was John Fox who got him to the playoffs :ohdear:

Mike McCoy was the OC who made that offense...do whatever it did that year.

McDaniels did do some wizardry with Kyle Orton for half a season though a couple of years before, can't take that away from either of them.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 6, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

actually it was Kyle Orton dragging his rear end

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

indigi posted:

actually it was Kyle Orton dragging his rear end
I miss him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sophia out there somewhere having a tear drip down her face and not knowing why.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I feel like a trade is going to be imminent soon?

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1623104245615693824?s=46&t=qXXKIaq0hsCBLoEtPsW-Lw

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Not sure how they could afford a trade before the 15th tbh. FA sure you can structure it however you want but this would be tough.

Saints have been rumored to be heavily in on him so that’s not surprising.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/robertmays/status/1623120003712319488?s=46&t=9LPwzMwpZnt0KRysASOZnA

https://twitter.com/jason_otc/status/1623122815934242818?s=46&t=9LPwzMwpZnt0KRysASOZnA

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 8, 2023

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I get that they can do some cap magic but Jesus what team would they even be fielding at that point?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I get that they can do some cap magic but Jesus what team would they even be fielding at that point?

Something Carr is probably used to?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Not to mention having a ton of guys taking up cap space for 5 years each and likely won't even be on the roster.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
And still needing money to sign rookies

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Mostly the same one they did this year. They’d just be paying them until nearly 2030.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thats the problem, they've done so much "magic" that cutting people only causes more pain because everyone has void years that will accelerate and that kind of poo poo.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Mostly the same one they did this year. They’d just be paying them until nearly 2030.

Is the idea that you’re gonna keep squeezing out the remaining talent of a largely old rear end group until it collapses in on itself?

I genuinely don’t understand the long term plan with the saints. Until they actually let the cap situation collapse and get off the books they’re gonna be trapped in this quasi competitive but not good space

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Much like inflation makes fixed rate loans cheaper over time cap inflation makes dead money cheaper over time so those extensions probably won’t be crippling in a few years. But they’ve got to stop spending to win now and take their medicine and I don’t see that happening.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Much like inflation makes fixed rate loans cheaper over time cap inflation makes dead money cheaper over time so those extensions probably won’t be crippling in a few years. But they’ve got to stop spending to win now and take their medicine and I don’t see that happening.

Yea that’s more the issue. Yes if they stop it’ll be less of an punishing problem but if they keep punting on the cap hits they’ll be in this purgatory for years and years

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I still can't parse why you'd be kicking the can down the road given the product on the field.

If ever there was a time for a franchise to unfuck themselves its after losing your presumptive hall of fame qb and head coach.

I could even understand holding off doing so last year because the division was weak as piss but right now is the time to just blow it all up.

Fire the coaching staff, trade guys like kamara coming to the end of their shelf life and hope you can hit on some talent in the draft this year and next.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Yea that’s more the issue. Yes if they stop it’ll be less of an punishing problem but if they keep punting on the cap hits they’ll be in this purgatory for years and years

Allen can’t really afford to think long term because he will be fired if the team doesn’t get better in the short term. And last year they clearly weren’t ready to settle in for a few lean years. So the question is whether another year on Loomis is more willing to hang Allen out to dry after the wet fart that was last year.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

a neat cape posted:

Something Carr is probably used to?

This made me lol

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

The Big Jesus posted:

Yea wouldn't this be a problem?

Reminds me of one of the early Madden Franchise modes, the AI wouldn't take potential into factoring who to cut and would cut rookie first rounders because they were making 5 mill and were average at best.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Big Jesus posted:

Trade away your picks to get other teams to take on your nightmare contracts, two birds, one stone.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kalli posted:

Trade away your picks to get other teams to take on your nightmare contracts, two birds, one stone.
Arent the contracts so bad that they'd be getting like... a 5th for good players and a conditional 7th two years out for the mediocre ones? Because a bunch are really old, too.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Jimmy G to the Raiders makes a ton of sense. McDaniels gets someone he worked with before, and the Raiders can tank the season once Jimmy gets hurt. Plus it give McDaniels an out by claiming the bad season was due to Jimmy going down because who could see that coming.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Arent the contracts so bad that they'd be getting like... a 5th for good players and a conditional 7th two years out for the mediocre ones? Because a bunch are really old, too.

Yeah, no their roster is just a complete nightmare, they're one of if not the worst situation in the league, and they should've blown things up two years ago.

They're now at the point where they need to blow things up, and that process would take two years just to hit 0. But they're just going to keep rolling things forward because paying okay defensive players until they're 38 is just where you want to be apparently.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Let's be honest. The Saints have no plans to get out of cap hell. We will be having this conversation twenty years from now.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Hoping cap inflation outruns your restructuring still puts you at a massive disadvantage compared to the rest of the league when you're allocating in $25m in cap to guys who retired 3 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Diva Cupcake posted:

Hoping cap inflation outruns your restructuring still puts you at a massive disadvantage compared to the rest of the league when you're allocating in $25m in cap to guys who retired 3 years ago.

Not disagreeing. Just saying based on the last ten years, the Saints are gonna keep pushing it forward until the league is dissolved