Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Eric Cantonese posted:

Weather balloons.

Balloons... that control the weather.

First of all how long have you been listening in on me.

Also though even the local radio show (that, when I can tune in, skews establishment/liberal/moderate or whatever) had a great take when an older journalist fella was like "so what we're spying on them they're spying on us, everyday what's new".

You have to see the temptation to react conspiratorially to this media reaction, even and especially if that indeed is china's goal

Not an honorable snipe considering how indignant I was at 24 hours of balloon news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
So the gist is the balloon was spotted over Alaska, the Pentagon intercepted the signal to study what it was all about, let it track across the US while essentially in control of it's functions, and then shot it down over open water to make sure it didn't cause injury to folks on the ground. And now they get to study the remains. Cool!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
my favorite part of this dumb thing is local PDs having to posting on zuckbook "no please dont shoot it, its at 50k your tiny dick replacement isn going to get ballpark close and you risk a non zero chance at hurting someone."

lol at regressive gun culture thinking that guns can affect hurricanes or other similar things in a non zero way.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Hypothetical goon project:
Obtain balloon, solar array, computer, sensors, antennae helium, assemble and launch...

An unmanned vehicle capable of circumnavigating the globe multiple times

What would the crowdfunding campaign target goal be, in USD (before the host runs off with the purse)?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
It kinda feels like a social media influence campaign goaded the Biden administration into shooting down a research balloon to further undermine us/china relations and feed conspiracy theorists

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Uglycat posted:

It kinda feels like a social media influence campaign goaded the Biden administration into shooting down a research balloon to further undermine us/china relations and feed conspiracy theorists

It was certainly a cunning plan by the Republicans.

Of course you never know when a plan like that is going to backfi
https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1622111832788852737

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Why do you think that matters?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
How do people still believe that Republicans care about or are phased in any way by being shown to be blatant hypocrites?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

-Blackadder- posted:

It was certainly a cunning plan by the Republicans.

Of course you never know when a plan like that is going to backfi
https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1622111832788852737

File under "You don't actually have to hand it to them."

It's gotta be frustrating to the R's that every time they get mad at something Biden did or didn't do and say "THIS NEVER WOULD HAVE HAPPENED UNDER A TRUMP ADMINISTRATION". it turns out shortly thereafter that, yeah, it happened multiple times in a Trump Administration. It's like a dragon stoking the fire then trips and actually swallows its own fire.

edit:actual props to BI for the photo accompanying the story, never a negative when the photo goes out of its way to dunk on Trump (the "Hey. a balloon!!"" photo in a story about chinese spy balloons)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 5, 2023

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SirFozzie posted:

File under "You don't actually have to hand it to them."

It's gotta be frustrating to the R's that every time they get mad at something Biden did or didn't do and say "THIS NEVER WOULD HAVE HAPPENED UNDER A TRUMP ADMINISTRATION". it turns out shortly thereafter that, yeah, it happened multiple times in a Trump Administration. It's like a dragon stoking the fire then trips and actually swallows its own fire.

Why would it be frustrating to them? Do you think they care?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Yes, it means that while they can snow the rubes on their own networks, the second they try that attack on a network not totally onside, the host will ask "But how was it different", which makes it hard to discourage the other side/encourage squishy voters to switch

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

Yes, it means that while they can snow the rubes on their own networks, the second they try that attack on a network not totally onside, the host will ask "But how was it different", which makes it hard to discourage the other side/encourage squishy voters to switch

Good thing for Republicans they don't give a poo poo about squishy voters and instead just focus on driving engagement with their base through friendly channels like FOX, OANN, and social media.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Except that's changing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/02/04/house-gop-embraces-mainstream-media-after-years-bashing-fake-news/

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

I think you're confusing culture jamming with actually caring. That looks like pure noise generation.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Liberals can have little a sinophobia, as a treat.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

If Americans are this pissed about the moon-boob, wait until they find out about the Internet.

Tulul posted:

Stand (relatively) still and be cheap. Objects in orbit are moving incredibly fast - the ISS is traveling about 7.6 kilometers per second relative to the Earth, for reference. Pointing a camera at a tiny piece of it and getting any kind of usable image of it is an incredible technical feat and the number of images you'll be able to get before the satellite crosses the horizon is limited. On top of that, satellites have very little ability to move in their orbital paths, so if you want images of a particular bit of dirt, you probably need to wait for your satellite's orbit to intersect with your target again.

By contrast, if it had had a person onboard, someone in the balloon probably could have snapped some pretty good pics with a Canon and they'd have a lot more time to get them.

Except for the part that it is an internationally traveling balloon and would be even harder to pilot than a sophisticated piece of equipment that operates on a precise schedule out in space.

"Good thing we decided to strap thousands of dollars worth of materials to this balloon and by chance it ended up floating over the United States after all."

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 5, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Honestly, I'm just sad that a jet was used to bring down the weather balloon and not, say, another weather balloon with some sharp knives strapped to the bottom.

Has no one in the administration ever played Joust or Balloon Fight?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

Liberals can have little a sinophobia, as a treat.

It's not "sinophobia" to enforce a national air space.
Do you think it is appropriate for the US to fly poo poo over China? No, right. The Chinese trying to or managing to shoot it down is not a phobia towards us either.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Trump didn't shoot down the China spy balloons? :sad:

CmdrRiker posted:

If Americans are this pissed about the moon-boob, wait until they find out about the Internet.
Wouldn't that be the motivation behind the tiktok ban?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

It's not "sinophobia" to enforce a national air space.
Do you think it is appropriate for the US to fly poo poo over China? No, right. The Chinese trying to or managing to shoot it down is not a phobia towards us either.

I hope China invades mainland US. This is my unironic, not trolling belief that life under Chinese rule is preferable to life under US Oligarch rule.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Oxyclean posted:

Trump didn't shoot down the China spy balloons? :sad:

Wouldn't that be the motivation behind the tiktok ban?

Tiktok terrifies me more than the moon-boob.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The US has every right to defend its borders.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

In before the right wing "if you love China so much, why don't you just move there?" talking point

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Rabble posted:

The US has every right to defend its borders.

Yes, we know. Imperialists love their borders.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

edit: not worth the derail.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

edit: not worth the derail.

Whataboutism isn't permitted in d&d, friend 🙂

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
The media treating "Biden administration completely outsmarts adrift weather balloon" as some sort of military/intelligence strategy coup is objectively hilarious.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

This is not whataboutism:

Does the PRC have the right to defend its borders?

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Lib and let die posted:

I hope China invades mainland US. This is my unironic, not trolling belief that life under Chinese rule is preferable to life under US Oligarch rule.

This might be one of the most terminally online takes I've ever read. If you think the invasion and occupation of America by China would lead to a better life, you are entirely detached from reality.

Like do you honestly think Chinese soldiers occupying your town would somehow improve your access to healthcare? Or improve living conditions for the poor? Or reduce violence against minorities? I'm struggling to think of a single way that having a foreign occupation would improve anyone's life.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Vahakyla posted:

You are engaging with a strawman you yourself built. The sinophobia was not "shot the balloon" it's "acting like a bunch of morons about a balloon because it was built by the perfidious Chinese"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

Well I guess that depends on who's version of the borders you mean. According to the US, China's borders don't include Taiwan, according to China those borders do.

What I think China should do in response to US aggression over the Taiwanese province isn't the kind of thing you just say, though 🙂

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

Well I guess that depends on who's version of the borders you mean. According to the US, China's borders don't include Taiwan, according to China those borders do.

What I think China should do in response to US aggression over the Taiwanese province isn't the kind of thing you just say, though 🙂

doesn't the Taiwanese people own Taiwan?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

You are engaging with a strawman you yourself built. The sinophobia was not "shot the balloon" it's "acting like a bunch of morons about a balloon because it was built by the perfidious Chinese"

Who says this? This would be precisely the same thing about a Russian balloon. Or any adversary or non-friendly nation.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mooseontheloose posted:

doesn't the Taiwanese people own Taiwan?

No TSMC does

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Seph posted:

Like do you honestly think Chinese soldiers occupying your town would somehow improve your access to healthcare? Or improve living conditions for the poor? Or reduce violence against minorities? I'm struggling to think of a single way that having a foreign occupation would improve anyone's life.

You can't think of how lives would be materially altered for the better with the abolition of the landlord class?

Seph posted:

This might be one of the most terminally online takes I've ever read.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Lib and let die posted:

You can't think of how lives would be materially altered for the better with the abolition of the landlord class?

Can you explain to me how Chinese boots on the ground leads to the abolition of the landlord class? That seems like quite the non-sequitur to me.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Seph posted:

Can you explain to me how Chinese boots on the ground leads to the abolition of the landlord class? That seems like quite the non-sequitur to me.

This is really better suited for a Communism thread but getting rid of abusive landlords (but I repeat myself) was a big part of the revolution. Big big part.

No second homes til everyone has one!

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

This is really better suited for a Communism thread but getting rid of abusive landlords (but I repeat myself) was a big part of the revolution. Big big part.

Yes I am aware of the Land Reform Movement. I'm not sure how that's relevant to modern day China though, nor how it's relevant to this insane hypothetical where China is invading mainland USA. Do you think landlords don't exist in China today? Do you think China would invade the USA to instill your communist ideals rather than for its own interests (i.e. resource and labor extraction)?

Seph fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 5, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

I believe societies have other challenges and issues besides landlordism. Not that it isn't a big deal, but societies have other metrics, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
A not-your-ethnicity ethnostate turning your home into an extractive colony is definitely going to be worse than your goony existence making 300k touching computer from home and occasionally hearing about someone being distastefully rich or poor, this is hilariously obvious.