Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Lib and let die posted:

You can't think of how lives would be materially altered for the better with the abolition of the landlord class?

Huh? You do realize you’re talking about a country that’s trying to entice massive private investment in rental properties, right? Including from US companies, like Greystar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Vahakyla posted:

Who says this? This would be precisely the same thing about a Russian balloon. Or any adversary or non-friendly nation.

I say this. That we* would be acting like dumbfucks about a weather balloon from any other country, sure. I agree. We are racist against everywhere

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

slurm posted:

A not-your-ethnicity ethnostate turning your home into an extractive colony is definitely going to be worse than your goony existence making 300k touching computer from home and occasionally hearing about someone being distastefully rich or poor, this is hilariously obvious.

On a salary like that I could actually finance the move to China.

Alas,

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Vahakyla posted:

I believe societies have other challenges and issues besides landlordism. Not that it isn't a big deal, but societies have other metrics, too.

Sure, but the question was about landlords.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Harold Fjord posted:

Sure, but the question was about landlords.

The question was to explain why you think a Chinese invasion of the USA would lead to the abolishment of landlords, when:

1) Modern day China has de facto private land ownership
2) There is zero incentive to instill communism in an occupied country rather than run an extraction economy

It would be great if you could address those two points.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Seph posted:

The question was to explain why you think a Chinese invasion of the USA would lead to the abolishment of landlords, when:

1) Modern day China has de facto private land ownership
2) There is zero incentive to instill communism in an occupied country rather than run an extraction economy

It would be great if you could address those two points.

A lot of things that exist about modern China are defined by it existing in opposition to the Capitalist imperialism of the US. So if we are talking about that underlying situation changing, the ground on which your various assumptions (especially number 2, where extraction is necessary to engage in thermogenic competition with said capital imperialism) rest turns to sand.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Why are we discussing the desirability of a hypothetical Chinese invasion of the US? That's enough of that derail thanks.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz the Horse posted:

Why are we discussing the desirability of a hypothetical Chinese invasion of the US? That's enough of that derail thanks.

It's Sunday!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CmdrRiker posted:

If Americans are this pissed about the moon-boob, wait until they find out about the Internet.

Except for the part that it is an internationally traveling balloon and would be even harder to pilot than a sophisticated piece of equipment that operates on a precise schedule out in space.

"Good thing we decided to strap thousands of dollars worth of materials to this balloon and by chance it ended up floating over the United States after all."

The northern jet streams go west-to-east across the Pacific, so a balloon released over China or Japan that rises to the right height will naturally tend to cross the Pacific and reach North America within a few days. That's also why it's entirely plausible for it to have been a stray weather balloon.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Harold Fjord posted:

A lot of things that exist about modern China are defined by it existing in opposition to the Capitalist imperialism of the US. So if we are talking about that underlying situation changing, the ground on which your various assumptions (especially number 2, where extraction is necessary to engage in thermogenic competition with said capital imperialism) rest turns to sand.

So once the US is gone China will transform into a communist country in more then name only?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Why do you think that matters?

I'm less worried about the balloon tbh and more about it being used as an excuse to escalate attacks on Asian Americans.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

The media treating "Biden administration completely outsmarts adrift weather balloon" as some sort of military/intelligence strategy coup is objectively hilarious.

Ok, now this seems like something the GOP would actually care about. No one cares about hypocrisy, but saying that Biden is manlier than Trump because he blew up the China balloon and Trump hid from the 3 that invaded during his term might be dumb and petty enough to win the Dems a few votes, especially if this balloon was one that Trump let go.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Seph posted:

This might be one of the most terminally online takes I've ever read. If you think the invasion and occupation of America by China would lead to a better life, you are entirely detached from reality.

You are quoting one of the dumbest posters in this thread

"Look pal, I'm a LEFTIST (to the left of demoncraps!!) and let me tell you -- authoritarian dictatorships are for the win!!"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
unless the balloon went through the pacific triangle, I dont think the ball can be 1.X or 2 years old.

also cant wait for regressive to discover the deadly ww2 japanese balloon bombs. ( which has one single incident in OR iirc??)

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I mean, there was the sputnik panic, the U2s over the USSR, there was thr 'open skies' treaty (china was not a signatory, tho)...

This story has a /lot/ of history to it, and anyone ive seen shouting about the balloon is wholly naive to all of it.

E: did some googling, found this
https://hackaday.com/2014/10/19/high-altitude-balloon-keeps-going/

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 5, 2023

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It's interesting to look at that flight path going over the ocean, to me it seems way easier to just ship the parts to someone in the US and launch it there.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Seph posted:

This might be one of the most terminally online takes I've ever read. If you think the invasion and occupation of America by China would lead to a better life, you are entirely detached from reality.

Like do you honestly think Chinese soldiers occupying your town would somehow improve your access to healthcare? Or improve living conditions for the poor? Or reduce violence against minorities? I'm struggling to think of a single way that having a foreign occupation would improve anyone's life.

why? People are already left to die from preventable diseases. You have tent cities popping up all over the place. Your government demonstrably doesn't care about human life. Even if we're being generous and only applying this outlook to red states, that's still a huge area and a lot of people. How do you think things would get worse? I think all this shows is how sheltered some of you are. You're lives are so free of stress and any suffering that you simply don't know how hellish things already are in your country.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

why? People are already left to die from preventable diseases. You have tent cities popping up all over the place. Your government demonstrably doesn't care about human life. Even if we're being generous and only applying this outlook to red states, that's still a huge area and a lot of people. How do you think things would get worse? I think all this shows is how sheltered some of you are. You're lives are so free of stress and any suffering that you simply don't know how hellish things already are in your country.

Thank you. We American SA forums posters who are leftist have been unaware of the injustices in this country until now. You bringing it to light has elucidated it for us.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yes, America Bad, but if you think our existing problems are equivalent to being occupied and oppressed by a foreign military, then you're the one who's sheltered.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Chinese troops occupying Tibet wound up being a massive improvement, why would this hypothetical situation be any different

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm going to kick anybody's rear end who reveals that the public face of their ideology is this high schooler in an anarchist symbol jacket poo poo from this point on. I know I've talked to half of you personally elsewhere about this stuff. Get your uneventful Sunday kicks elsewhere or refine your pitch a BIT more maybe.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i'll have you know my public face is a hick in overalls, one strap unbuttoned, and a straw hat

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

World Famous W posted:

i'll have you know my public face is a hick in overalls, one strap unbuttoned, and a straw hat

I've got deep woods Appalachian hillbilly in my blood going back 300 years, my first instinct when put off is to pine for the simple pleasure of hanging out on a porch whittling things and watching birds, there are no exceptions for letting the side down. Time can also be provided to refurbish the still to remove the lead leeching components like you know you should've done ages ago.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

World Famous W posted:

*gazes at barn that's been slowly collapsing for ten years*
Ayuh, she'll come down when she wants ta.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Epic High Five posted:

I'm going to kick anybody's rear end who reveals that the public face of their ideology is this high schooler in an anarchist symbol jacket poo poo from this point on. I know I've talked to half of you personally elsewhere about this stuff. Get your uneventful Sunday kicks elsewhere or refine your pitch a BIT more maybe.

Wait which side are you calling high school anarchists here?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

slurm posted:

Wait which side are you calling high school anarchists here?

I'm afraid to report that this isn't a scenario where there may be another framing device to keep the derail going. I invite you to think hard about theory and history as to whether it's better to be a poor member of the richest imperial core in recent history versus the conquered subject of its ascendant competitor. If your ideology demands it whatever but pretending it will be liberation is madness. Even leaving aside the motivations of any individual involved, the collapse of the petrodollar will ensure everybody is at least a bit worse off. It's lazy, nonsensical thinking. Cease.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I can't believe the government acts so quickly to take down this balloon when there's another balloon that has been menacing the world since the 60s!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjSWkpkPH5g

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

I can't believe the government acts so quickly to take down this balloon when there's another balloon that has been menacing the world since the 60s!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjSWkpkPH5g

Spiderman starts working for the Not-NYPD and suddenly the government finds itself unable to even consider stopping him, curious!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

PhazonLink posted:

also cant wait for regressive to discover the deadly ww2 japanese balloon bombs. ( which has one single incident in OR iirc??)

There were a lot of them but the government did a good job keeping it quiet so it's been downplayed. They weren't going to strategically bomb cities with the things but they could start some big rear end forest fires.

Hey since it's Black History Month, here's some black paratroopers that were running around to defuse the bombs and put out the fires:

https://www.npr.org/sections/npr-history-dept/2015/01/22/376973981/how-black-smokejumpers-helped-save-the-american-west

I think one of the bombs managed to get as far as Michigan and kill somebody (?).

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

Well I guess that depends on who's version of the borders you mean. According to the US, China's borders don't include Taiwan, according to China those borders do.

What about according to Taiwan?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

As a leftist I try not to acknowledge the sovereignty or desires of non-imperial states thanks, please do not muddy the waters with such non-sequiturs.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Taiwan also considers Taiwan part of China, officially.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Byzantine posted:

Taiwan also considers Taiwan part of China, officially.

Yeah? It's a democracy, right? What do the Taiwanese people think about reunification?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Every day at noon the Taiwanese people get out their prayer rugs and kneel towards Beijing and chant “President Xi my people crave freedom from the Americans”.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
There's a dedicated China thread for Taiwan discussion.

"Please end this derail" was not an invitation to take the derail in new and exciting directions

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz the Horse posted:

There's a dedicated China thread for Taiwan discussion.

"Please end this derail" was not an invitation to take the derail in new and exciting directions

Like I said, it's a Sunday. If you'd rather discuss something else that you deem topical, you should, uh, "be the change you want to see". Because the alternative seems to be that the activity in the thread declines. Why would you want that?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
E: wrong thread I know I am banned sorry

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
One of the lesser-heralded aspects of the recent IRA was the shift to "direct pay" for renewable energy tax credits. These are a substantial change for public and nonprofit utilities: Prior to the change, tax credits did little for these orgs because they had no tax liability to be offset by the credits. As Ryan Cooper notes in the February edition of The American Prospect, direct pay eliminates that hurdle.

quote:

Before the IRA, publicly owned utilities or nonprofit power cooperatives were not directly eligible for these credits, because they had no tax liability. The only way to get some of the benefit was to contract with private developers, which is both cumbersome and inefficient, since much of the value of the credits is then taken up by the developer. But now, public agencies and nonprofits can get the credits essentially as grants—which makes new green investment and the resulting power considerably less expensive for those entities.

Public agencies and nonprofits generate about a quarter of American electricity, so this is a major upgrade to U.S. climate policy. But it’s also a major change in the policy landscape for these institutions, which will have to drastically change the way they operate.

Things are dragging a bit as the IRS and Treasury work to get out guidance (probably next month)-which is slowing adoption:

quote:

The fact that the guidance is not out yet is probably why I could only find two institutions that are definitely planning to take advantage of the direct pay credits. The first is the Salt River Project, a nonprofit utility cooperative owned by the state of Arizona. SRP is in the process of building 55 megawatts of utility-scale solar owned by itself for the first time. “The recent passage of the Inflation Reduction Act allows not-for-profit public power utilities like SRP to directly receive federal incentive payments for renewable projects,” the agency said in a press release. The second is East Bay Community Energy, a public agency launched in 2018 by Alameda County, California, and several of its cities. CEO Nick Chaset posted a thread on Twitter about how the IRA will allow his agency to provide renewable power more cheaply “by allowing public sector and not for profit electricity suppliers to directly monetize these tax credits instead of relying on contracting with a privately owned company to realize the value of the tax credits.”

A few other things the administration can do to ensure as much takeup as possible before future congresses and administrations work to knife the program:

quote:

The administration would also be well advised to make the application procedure simple. “Make it as easy as possible,” Desmarie Waterhouse, senior vice president at the American Public Power Association, told the Prospect. Many public utilities and rural co-ops are quite small, and so don’t have much staff available to start spinning up new projects. Even a lot of the big ones don’t have much experience with renewable-energy projects. If you’ve been running, say, a handful of gas and coal plants for 40 years, solar and wind are both more distributed and more erratic in their production—requiring new investment and different grid management to compensate for the changes.

By the same token, it would be wise for the administration, together with outside groups, to provide technical, contracting, and legal assistance for firms that might need it, especially rural cooperatives. If small institutions have to hire an accountant and a tax lawyer to get their direct pay, they might decide it’s not worth the headache.

The administration could also help by funding transmission upgrades. Renewables are more useful if the power can be transmitted over longer distances—for instance, from areas where the sun is shining or wind is blowing to dark or calm ones. “There are a lot of transmission upgrades that need to be made in the system to enable the higher penetration of renewables,” said Varadarajan. “The federal government also has some authorities in the [Department of Energy] loan program that can be used for new interregional transmission lines,” as well as reducing the cost of upgrading existing lines. Doing so “could be a real important piece of that puzzle,” he added.

Finally, an interesting look at the shitheadery of the TVA with a bit of reason for optimism"

quote:

The Tennessee Valley Authority deserves special attention. This federal agency is the largest public utility in the country, serving all of Tennessee and parts of six other states (mainly with nuclear and natural gas), and also contracts with over 100 other utilities in the region. It would be an ideal choice to set an example for the rest of the country—indeed, it is specifically mentioned in the IRA as being eligible for direct pay credits. But a TVA representative told me that the agency doesn’t have anything in the works yet: “It is still too early to speculate on exactly how TVA would participate,” he said via e-mail.

The TVA is, however, rushing to replace much of its coal power capacity with even more gas. On December 2, it completed the environmental review of a planned decommissioning of the Cumberland Fossil Plant and its switch to the preferred alternative of a gas replacement. “Natural gas provides the flexibility needed to reliably integrate renewables,” Jacinda Woodward, a TVA senior vice president, said in a statement.

This is a bizarre argument. For one thing, the TVA already gets about 28 percent of its power from gas. For another, the intermittency problem that comes with solar and wind is well understood by now, and grid operators have largely figured out how to compensate. That, plus the fact that wind and solar are extremely cheap (and getting cheaper), is why private utilities are now stampeding into renewables—in 2021, solar and wind made up about 83 percent of all new utility-scale power investment.

What’s more, while intermittency issues can become quite challenging when renewables make up a big share of total power, the TVA’s power mix includes just 3 percent from wind and solar. And even if it were a problem, unlike almost all utilities the TVA has significant hydropower assets—which are excellent backup for renewables because they are very easy to turn on and off. “TVA could absolutely manage its hydro system in such a way as to balance and complement resources like wind and solar,” Zachary Fabish, a senior attorney at the Sierra Club, told the Prospect. “That’s a huge advantage that TVA has that most other utilities in this country don’t have.”

More gas investment also carries a significant price risk. Thanks to Putin’s war in Ukraine, Europe is frantically trying to wean itself off Russian gas—and is filling that gap with liquefied natural gas exports from the United States. Multiple LNG terminals have been constructed in recent years on both sides of the Atlantic, and more are coming. It’s a safe bet that the dirt-cheap gas of the mid-2010s is not ever coming back, and anyone reliant on gas power will be paying the price.

In short, the TVA’s decisions here don’t pass the smell test. Fortunately, in late December the Senate finally confirmed all six of Biden’s nominees to the nine-member agency board, where they now constitute the majority. The board has ultimate control over the agency, and they can and should replace CEO Jeff Lyash (a former private utility executive) with someone more favorable to renewables.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
I dunno why the Republicans are so upset that we shot down that Chinese balloon, I thought they wanted Biden to fight inflation! :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Trazz posted:

I dunno why the Republicans are so upset that we shot down that Chinese balloon, I thought they wanted Biden to fight inflation! :dadjoke:

Maybe they're mad it can't go be with the three balloons the Chinese sent over during the Trump administration.