Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The spot in question.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/ia1nhq/undertaker_with_an_amazing_save_on_an_almost/

Couldn't find a direct youtube link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What does the term indie actually mean? What is it independent from?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Shard posted:

originally it meant the NWA, this is also where the term "outlaw mudshow" comes from.

now it basically means just not part of one of the giant megacorporations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shard posted:

IMO: An indie PROMOTION is what ItohRespectArmy posted, and indie WRESTLER is one who isn't exclusive to any one company (or at least one who isn't contractually obligated to put one ahead of all others) and can work wherever they want, whenever they want. I.e. WWE wrestlers are definitely not indie as they cannot work anywhere else. Many of AEW's top stars are not indie as they are beholden to contracts that put AEW dates first.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Doesn't that just make them a freelancer, or is there some distinction i'm missing?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

SG Bamboo posted:

Doesn't that just make them a freelancer, or is there some distinction i'm missing?

Just that no one calls them freelancers. Like yeah, most actors are technically freelance, they can work with whatever film production they want, but you'd sound weird if you called them that.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Just that no one calls them freelancers. Like yeah, most actors are technically freelance, they can work with whatever film production they want, but you'd sound weird if you called them that.

Ah, must be a regional thing. Hearing about wrestlers going freelance is fairly comon among the Japanese promotions I follow so I assumed it was industry wide

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SG Bamboo posted:

Ah, must be a regional thing. Hearing about wrestlers going freelance is fairly comon among the Japanese promotions I follow so I assumed it was industry wide

Might be a part of the weird-rear end American wrestling vernacular that only exists to circumvent labor laws.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

an indie wrestler can have a home promotion, while a freelancer explicitly does not is how I would split hairs. but it is mostly regional dialect.

also my opinion on indie wrestler would be that it is one without a contract, but who cares what I think

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i do :)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
An indie wrestler gets paid, at least a hot dog and a handshake.

A freelancer does not get paid (it's in the name) and just takes the handshake.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Alaois posted:

the undertaker dropped triple h on his head doing a tombstone so piledrivers were banned, with the exception of the undertaker and kane still being allowed to do tombstones because they were safe

i'll accept no followup questions

sounds about right!

I read that the vanilla piledriver is relatively safe as the receiver's head is cushioned between the performer's legs, but the tombstone doesn't offer the same protection

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The tombstone is really dependant on height too. The taller the person giving it the safer it is, and the reverse is true too

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Regular piledrivers have broken more necks than tombstones I think

If the person taking it doesn’t push up off the other person’s thighs and/or the person delivering it has skinny legs then someone’s just getting dumped on top of their head, whereas with the tombstone as long as the person giving it can hold you up far enough off the ground you’re probably gonna be ok

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Regular piledrivers have broken more necks than tombstones I think

If the person taking it doesn’t push up off the other person’s thighs and/or the person delivering it has skinny legs then someone’s just getting dumped on top of their head, whereas with the tombstone as long as the person giving it can hold you up far enough off the ground you’re probably gonna be ok

Can you name anyone who has been injured by a regular piledriver because I can't think of anyone. It's a very safe move.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I agree, sit down piledrivers are pretty safe if executed properly

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you don't have to do any timing based stuff like pushing off or w/e. it's about tucking your head forward. it's the thing you instinctively do that makes the styles clash such an issue since you aren't supposed to do it for that move

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i lied. i don't know how to take bumps.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgnuNk2-YF4

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How many broken necks were there in Memphis where the move was always 'banned?'

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
I’m pretty sure both Steve Austin and Taz had their necks broken by sit down piledrivers. Both were botched, however.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Integrated Houston posted:

I’m pretty sure both Steve Austin and Taz had their necks broken by sit down piledrivers. Both were botched, however.

Austin 's was more like a k-driller (after specifically telling Owen he didn't want to). And Taz's was a double team Spike.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 6, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Integrated Houston posted:

austin's was a sit down tombstone, not a regular-rear end sit down piledriver

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

austin's was a sit down tombstone, not a regular-rear end sit down piledriver

While I am very dumb to the business I do remember even back then thinking that piledriver looked weird before Owen hit it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

While I am very dumb to the business I do remember even back then thinking that piledriver looked weird before Owen hit it

its the same type of piledriver that steve austin had himself broken masa chono's neck with years prior!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Austin 's was more like a k-driller (after specifically telling Owen he didn't want to). And Taz's was a double team Spike.
Taz's was a spike piledriver but it was a tombstone from the regular piledriver setup. The lesson of this and the K-Driller appear to be not to gently caress with either of the two traditional piledriver options.

Also, I know nobody's said this here yet, but Austin swears that Chono's injury was kayfabed from him and that he had no idea it happened until after he got hurt from the same move and fans started pointing it out to him. The whole thing about Austin asking Owen not to do the K-Driller because of Chono is not true. But he DID ask Owen not to do it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Why did Owen want to do a weird piledriver variation anyway? Just because it looked different?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Because Austin asked him to. The spots with Owen and Austin and Austin and Chono are exactly the same. Owen had never done anything like that before, he used a "regular" tombstone. Austin can say all he wants he asked Owen not to do a sitout tombstone. But why would he? Owen never did the move like that previously.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Because Austin asked him to. The spots with Owen and Austin and Austin and Chono are exactly the same. Owen had never done anything like that before, he used a "regular" tombstone. Austin can say all he wants he asked Owen not to do a sitout tombstone. But why would he? Owen never did the move like that previously.

Lmao

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Kvlt! posted:

The tombstone is really dependant on height too. The taller the person giving it the safer it is, and the reverse is true too
If I do a really safe Tombstone Piledriver, will I get taller?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

If I do a really safe Tombstone Piledriver, will I get taller?

No, but if you do a really lovely Tombstone Piledriver the guy taking it might get shorter :shrug:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Has there ever been a legit shoot fight in WWE or another major promotion (WCW, etc). Not just a stiff punch or two but two people legit getting pissed and going at it?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kvlt! posted:

Has there ever been a legit shoot fight in WWE or another major promotion (WCW, etc). Not just a stiff punch or two but two people legit getting pissed and going at it?

Brawl for All in WWF

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
There have been a number of shoots on an unsuspecting person, but few to none that happened because both wrestlers spontaneously got pissed off.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

Other than The Sport of Brawl 4 All or Ali vs Inoki, both of which were planned shoots using a different ruleset before going to the ring, the most recent actual shoot in a major promotion in the US would be June Byers vs Mildred Burke from 1954. Burke had just divorced noted creep Billy Wolfe who booked women in the NWA while champion. Wolfe responded by dissolving her title and creating a new championship. Wolfe planned for Nell Stewart to win, and Burke reported that to the press, but Wolfe swerved her and had June Byers win instead. They ended up doing a match where neither one would lose, and it became a shoot. Burke got injured during the first fall of a 2/3 falls match and the ref declared Byers the winner and Wolfe had her recognized as undisputed champion.

Since that point the most famous match worked match that turned into a shoot with more than one sucker punch or a guy taking liberties is Maeda vs Andre where Maeda just destroyed Andre with leg kicks.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

JBL famously shot on meanie during the one night stand ending shmoz.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Defenestrategy posted:

Gotta post the receipt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj1ScIBpUq0

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Defenestrategy posted:

Sure, but I think the OP was more going for 'two people going at it.' A lot of these 'shoots' are just one-sided sucker punching.

Although now I'm imagining 'Joey Styles famously shot on JBL' and smiling.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

How soon we forget Nia Jax and Charlotte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
If we're talking mutual, there was that time The Great Antonio got rough and uncooperative with Inoki and Inoki literally stomped him.