Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

My favorite commute conditions are when traffic is at a dead standstill because I bike commute and it’s safer for me when the cars aren’t moving. :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

The best part of commuting is actually drinking on public transport.

Hey, guess what else I can do at home!

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

A lot of my job requires me to work in person (in a lab) and I take the bus. It's about an hour one way but it's better than a 20-30 minute car trip. And I can get off the bus in downtown, have a couple drinks or dinner, then continue on home.

I don't mind my commute because I don't have to drive, but I do cherish the 3-4 hours of extra time I have on the days I don't go in (including getting ready, packing lunch, commuting, and then at home I can walk away from the computer at lunch if I don't have meetings. Harder to do so in the office.).

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dik Hz posted:

I have a 20 minute commute that’s all highways and very little traffic. I actually prefer having that as a buffer between me and work.

I guess that makes me the outlier here.

My first job's commute was 25 minutes in the same conditions, and it was much less stressful than any 10 minutes at my job. But that's entirely because that job was a toxic shithole and I worked for a toxic shithole boss. If I were able to teleport directly into my bed from my office chair, it would have been even better. What a loving tool.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I specifically bought my house to be in close proximity to everywhere I could possibly work for the next 20 years. At the moment I have a 10 minute door to door commute via public transit, with a bus stop directly outside my door taking me straight to my employer's building.

I still don't ever plan on going back in on a regular basis again. I have to be in a full suit 100% of the time and it's just not something I want to do anymore. You get me 3-4 times a month, as needed, not earlier than 10am, and that's about it.

My worst commute was when I first started this job - it was ~2 hours each way and that's not including prep beforehand.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

It’s the closest we have come to actual teleportation/warping

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
My company was forced to update to a VOIP system because our old switchboard can no longer be repaired. The system is horrible and you can barely call anyone in the building on it. I can also no longer scream at the phone if I'm doing something away from my desk for the person to hold on.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have a VOIP system as an application on my computer. I've never received a phone call from anyone in my company. We all communicate on Teams. The only calls I get are spam.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

priznat posted:

It’s the closest we have come to actual teleportation/warping

Lol that's a worryingly accurate description.

Although I complain about moving out of the city to the suburbs, one advantage is that booze is banned on city trains but not on the overground ones out to the surrounding towns so you better believe those things are like a bar once it gets past about 7pm.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lol that's a worryingly accurate description.

Although I complain about moving out of the city to the suburbs, one advantage is that booze is banned on city trains but not on the overground ones out to the surrounding towns so you better believe those things are like a bar once it gets past about 7pm.

I would rather walk to the burbs than be on an American commuter train that permitted drinking.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Midjack posted:

I would rather walk to the burbs than be on an American commuter train that permitted drinking.

Look at this provincial who's never been to New York...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

JohnCompany posted:

Look at this provincial who's never been to New York...

Been there and I stand by my statement.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FogHelmut posted:

I have a VOIP system as an application on my computer. I've never received a phone call from anyone in my company. We all communicate on Teams. The only calls I get are spam.

I turned in my desk phone last year. It had been unplugged for two years, and I'd gotten one call a year to that number. The voicemails land in my In Box, and the two teammates who ever call instead of using Chat/Meet use my cell.

I got an iPhone 11 when I went FTE, got an eSim so I could have both my work and personal numbers on it and gave my old 7 to mom. It's a small risk not owning my own phone, but if I get laid off I'll likely get to keep it so I'll take the chance in return for only carrying one phone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dik Hz posted:

I have a 20 minute commute that’s all highways and very little traffic. I actually prefer having that as a buffer between me and work.

I guess that makes me the outlier here.

I’ve got a 20 minute walk and same.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Iron Crowned posted:

I find being at work for 8 hours to be the worst part of the day

Yeah, I'd be happy to commute if it comes out of that time. gently caress no if it is in addition...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dude's name is matt pisscheck

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FAUXTON posted:

dude's name is matt pisscheck

buddy they won’t even let me piss on the checks

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

champagne posting posted:

buddy they won’t even let me piss on the checks

hopefully someone is if he's cashing em

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This is absolutely a vent post, but I'm also interested in the perspective of people here who are in people management positions.

I started two weeks ago at this new role, with the first week being mostly onboarding. This is an entry level role at 1000+ people organization, and pays reasonably well. I was told my work would be QCed for at least month

During this week I had three days where my manager was extremely happy with what I was turning in, and then one bad day where I made several minor mistakes.

On Friday I had a 1-on-1 and was told that I needed to "slow down" and just really learn the process, which is absolutely fair feedback.

They also said that this is exactly what got the last person "offboarded", "this client is very particular and has a low tolerance for errors", and that "error free work is crucial for making it in this industry".

Again, the "slow down" feedback is absolutely fair, but it also felt kind of a dick move to have my first real feedback session be "you gotta start being perfect ASAP or you're not gonna make it here". Isn't the point of QCing giving me some space to gently caress up in a safe environment?

I think what annoyed me the most was that my manager said "it's almost harder to know how to handle you because you turned very good work, and then started making mistakes". Isn't that just a display of potential?

Again, mostly just venting.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

1 month is not enough time to evaluate a new employee and barely dressed-up threats of firing are completely inappropriate for someone still learning the standards and practices of new employers/clients.

Error-free work submitted to the client is a reasonable goal, with the caveat that poo poo Happens. Error-free work sent for QC is absolutely not - that’s the whole point of review.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The red flags are going up like it’s April 30th.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
To be 100% fair I took it more as a warning from her, not a threat. At no point was she aggressive or demeaning, and I really think she’s trying to look out for me, but the net effect was kind of the same.

Why even mention the offboarded employee or my future in the industry, even with good intentions?

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 5, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah that’s the red flag. Because it means that’s the only level she’ll only ever use to manage you.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I’m unfortunately stuck with this job for now, given my resume, and honestly I like the work itself and the work-life balance it offers, so hopefully I’ll git gud fast enough for this not to be a problem, but I’m glad that I wasn’t just blowing it up in my head.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
You don't happen to work at Covance or Lancaster Labs, do you? This sounds so familiar to their management.

Yeah, big red flags all over your manager's interaction with you, but if you need the experience/job, tough it out and start looking after you have a year in. You don't want to work for a fucker like that, but I'm not going to tell you to insta-bail because I know it's not that easy usually.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 5, 2023

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Haha, no, different sector.

Fortunately, my general work conditions are really good (so far) so it’s not like I’m having to clock in 80 hours a week at the dick punching test lab.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Could just be a manager who has no idea how to talk to people, but I generally agree you're correct to consider this a huge red flag. Slow down is really good advice but it sounds like they don't have a very realistic expectation for what stuff should look like.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not seeing any red flags? - it sounds to me like they were just setting clear expectations for a new employee in an entry-level role. I get that nobody likes to be kicked while they're down, but maybe you're simply smarting from the knowledge that you hosed up, and so feedback that was meant & offered in good faith was heard as 'do better, serf, or else'. God knows I've done that myself.

Given that you don't seem to have any other grievances to raise with the company, your role, or your manager, I'd put it down to a clumsy attempt at 'X did this, do not do this' course correction on your manager's part that didn't land as expected. Obviously if a pattern forms, that's another thing - I've had unfit managers who couldn't give feedback if their life depended on it - but if you're a new employee, there won't be enough of a relationship in either direction to determine if a fuckup is a genuine 'oops', or a symptom of a wider issue.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

spincube posted:

I'm not seeing any red flags? - it sounds to me like they were just setting clear expectations for a new employee in an entry-level role. I get that nobody likes to be kicked while they're down, but maybe you're simply smarting from the knowledge that you hosed up, and so feedback that was meant & offered in good faith was heard as 'do better, serf, or else'. God knows I've done that myself.

Given that you don't seem to have any other grievances to raise with the company, your role, or your manager, I'd put it down to a clumsy attempt at 'X did this, do not do this' course correction on your manager's part that didn't land as expected. Obviously if a pattern forms, that's another thing - I've had unfit managers who couldn't give feedback if their life depended on it - but if you're a new employee, there won't be enough of a relationship in either direction to determine if a fuckup is a genuine 'oops', or a symptom of a wider issue.
Threatening firing us a disproportionate response for someone who has only been there two weeks. Unless they’re hanging dong in the conference room or something. And OP it absolutely was a threat even if you don’t feel threatened.

Also, “you had a good run but then you started making mistakes” is a weird way to describe someone’s first 4 days. It’s oddly mercurial to give feedback based on each day. If I had a brand new employee do well for three days and screw up something on day four, I’d assume natural variance instead of “poo poo like that got the last guy fired”.

It reads as a weird power play by a poo poo manager to me. I could be over analyzing the situation though.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 5, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It doesn’t sound corporate, it sounds like a manufacturing job.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It’s especially weird because if someone new, and especially entry level, delivered 3 days of good work on their first week I’d be plain blown away. You’re new. That means you will make mistakes.

IME most people can’t produce output good enough to circulate in the first month or three. It’s weird and disproportionate to broach the topic of letting you go for a couple of mistakes you made your very first week.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

spincube posted:

I'm not seeing any red flags? - it sounds to me like they were just setting clear expectations for a new employee in an entry-level role. I get that nobody likes to be kicked while they're down, but maybe you're simply smarting from the knowledge that you hosed up, and so feedback that was meant & offered in good faith was heard as ‘do better, serf, or else’. God knows I've done that myself.

Given that you don't seem to have any other grievances to raise with the company, your role, or your manager, I’d put it down to a clumsy attempt at ‘X did this, do not do this’ course correction on your manager’s part that didn’t land as expected. Obviously if a pattern forms, that's another thing - I've had unfit managers who couldn't give feedback if their life depended on it - but if you're a new employee, there won't be enough of a relationship in either direction to determine if a fuckup is a genuine 'oops', or a symptom of a wider issue.

This is where I’d put my money.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jordan7hm posted:

This is where I’d put my money.
Still a poo poo manager. Delivering feedback is a core skill for people managing. loving it up to the point a new hire is posting on a dead comedy forum about it means the manager is poo poo at it.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/quantian1/status/1622017427755212803?s=20&t=NS1IWOLP0M8RBJK6uRv90A

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
youths flirting with girls and cutting their hair in a style even people in America might not adopt!

edit that article is extremely pro click on many levels

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

I like that apparently being a penniless guerilla fighter in the mountains is comparable maybe better to a 9-5 in the city.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Best reply

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Tyro posted:

Best reply

Is it possible to somehow make this whole meme the thread title?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Corporate thread: this meeting could have been an email to the brave mujaheddin of Afghanistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Bonding with a religious zealot over a mutual hatred of concur