Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Hey everyone, I actually managed to beat the horrible skirmish flier map on Maddening that I posted yesterday. My strategy was as follows: leave the topmost deploy spot empty, have Yunaka in the one below it and get on a tree. Most enemies will have 1-9% hit rates and just wail at her in that region, she blocked at least 12 enemies for a while.

Have a Lucina engaged Martial monk/master in the middle area and group some decently strong fighters there that cant get doubled and bonded shield them. Have your Archers/ at the bottom and clear up that area first then sweep up north to the holdout group and mop them up step by step.
One of the most evil/insane maps, there were 30+ promoted fliers (and one lone mage knight)

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I remember doing that one on hard and when they started coming in I was like ohhhh poo poo. It was actually pretty cool. Yunaka and Lapis in the middle dominating, Diamant and Alcryst were up top. Alcryst got all the heat and was on great dodge, so Diamant could clear him to fall back and shoot each turn. The bottom was a scramble shitshow with Alear and Louis desperately protecting my flyers and bad picks that were having a poo poo time.

Diamant is pretty amazing. I send him off solo or with a support and he can fight his way through just about anything. It helps that he's using the 3h kids so he can break out the hardware to delete anything in the game that looks scary without breaking a sweat.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The Bouche is a simple man.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Ike’s paralogue is definitely something on maddening. The units are so tanky that I have to bumrush Ike or just get overwhelmed by sheer numbers. Wolf Knights + Qi Adept Bonded Shield pretty much carried me through, with Warrior Jean putting on a clinic of murder. The paralogues are interesting in how you have to approach them. Minus Lucina’s, which was easy as hell.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah I did Ikes earlier too. I rushed the left lane upwards and used corrin to block the way south. It's not possible to survive this one otherwise, you dont have enough units for the constant reinforcements that happen.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah I did Ikes earlier too. I rushed the left lane upwards and used corrin to block the way south. It's not possible to survive this one otherwise, you dont have enough units for the constant reinforcements that happen.

I did it before Chapter 17 and had my Corrin on Ivy. I also went up the left lane, occasionally using obstruct (I believe twice) to slow down/stop enemies from swarming my back line defense of Ivy and Jean. I played risky with dodges after Bonded Shield and 60% Elthunder hits with Ivy (which she thankfully hit), use Corrin’s engage attack to stop enemy movements and also lower their stats and, eventually, Ike’s stats when going for the kill. My solution was in no way consistent and I was playing by slim margins a lot but I managed to complete it cause engraved knives are absurd.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

jimmydalad posted:

Ike’s paralogue is definitely something on maddening. The units are so tanky that I have to bumrush Ike or just get overwhelmed by sheer numbers. Wolf Knights + Qi Adept Bonded Shield pretty much carried me through, with Warrior Jean putting on a clinic of murder. The paralogues are interesting in how you have to approach them. Minus Lucina’s, which was easy as hell.

Lucina's definitely feels like the tutorial paralogue where the game is telling you that these maps exists you to fully awaken the power of the emblems.

Of course it then hits you with the lyn one

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Lyn's is real easy if you put it off for five chapters and come back with your units at the recommended level.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Lyn's is real easy if you put it off for five chapters and come back with your units at the recommended level.

Ah, the coward's way.

All seriousness that is what I'd recommend for all of them though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I did Lyn's right after it popped up, but I didn't have much trouble with it after rewinding to the start. I thought you had to stand near the tents or something so when I realised you just had to kill the dudes I had the crew handle that while Diamant and Lapis beelined to Lyn's spot since they could look after themselves and took her out.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also playing aggressive to take out the tent dudes makes it much easier

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've finally finished Lyns on Maddening. What I needed was getting Alcryst cracked enough to double the riders and bond shield him while he wears Claudes S ring for 3 range killer bow to completely wipe the left side of the map, I have no idea how you do this otherwise on Maddening.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
How can I play aggressively without using ugly flyers and cavalries

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The griffon knight armor is okay and the game hands you Ivy and Hortensia for free.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

How can I play aggressively without using ugly flyers and cavalries

You can't.

Nah, depends on what your idea of aggression is.

But some ideas

Everyone in hero 5 with dual assist+. Which is even uglier because hero looks terrible.

Dire Thunder mages, which means you get to enjoy gacha time.

Or like, Corrin!Yunaka with your hit chance tailored to be slightly above 0% so enemies will actually attack you. That gives you a really strong enemy phase for pushing poo poo in, but obviously runs the risk of a bad luck streak getting her mulched.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Chapter 19 was a pretty fun map.

I think coupled with the really challenging paralogue map assortments, there's actually a very good variety of map designs throughout the normal campaign.

been awhile since i played 3H or the ones before that, but always felt the maps all kind of went into like 2 categories the whole game, or all the town or field ones felt the same

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Warrior fogado having 20/20 stats, better than kagetsu is something.

Warrior panne isnt bad looking, fogado's pants are absurdly low.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I told myself I wasn’t going to use Rosado and Goldmary in my maddening run after I used them in my Hard run.

So now my team has Rosado and Halberdier Goldmary.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

jimmydalad posted:

I told myself I wasn’t going to use Rosado and Goldmary in my maddening run after I used them in my Hard run.

So now my team has Rosado and Halberdier Goldmary.

I'm never going to judge anyone for picking based on cuteness rather than logic.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah but everyone available is cute, it's a real problem.

Someone post the Hortensia quote, I forgot to save it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Hero Anna and Sniper Yumeka is really pulling their weight for me.

Also, Jade+Ike is such a good tank
Also, argh at finishing a paralogue and going into a story mission and forgetting to re-equip the emblem, only realizing on the final turn

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 5, 2023

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Seeing a lot of suggestions to second seal Jean since his default class growths aren't great... If I'm just playing on Hard am I okay leaving him as-is? It looks like I won't get second seals for a few chapters, and I like the idea of him as a punch monk anyway since he wants to be a doctor

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, you'd be fine.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Seeing a lot of suggestions to second seal Jean since his default class growths aren't great... If I'm just playing on Hard am I okay leaving him as-is? It looks like I won't get second seals for a few chapters, and I like the idea of him as a punch monk anyway since he wants to be a doctor

It’ll work, people just advise it because his janky version of Aptitude only boosts his class growths, but that still makes him a good mage on promotion to High Priest running the numbers. Also, he’s another healer which is pretty good with Qi Adept.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tender Bender posted:

Ran him as his default on Maddening. He didn't wow me and he was on the lower end of my team, but he's an effective staff user and that's honestly all a lot of characters need.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

After finishing the game on Normal (I have no confidence in my ability as an FE player) I started on hard.
It feels like I'm getting some really rear end levels this time around. Jean is level 8 and he's already gotten 2 2-stat levels.
I want to use characters I didn't use the first time but Louis has been so necessary so far. Think I might be able to go without Yunaka this go around. She has been remarkably incapable of dodging and is starting to lag behind in levels.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m running Jean as a Halberdier and the outfit is pretty cool

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm running Jean as a Martial Master and he's the punch god every else says their Framme is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Is there a way to check the internal levels of characters?

Thanks to visible levels changing whenever you reclass, I'm having a hard time keeping track of what level people actually are and who needs more attention.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Not as far as I know, you gotta keep track if you care
It’s not worth fretting about too much honestly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you shouldn't really be reclassing that much. like, using more than one second seal on the same character isn't really a thing the game wants or expects you to do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, but I like to know who I should be making an effort to feed kills to.

And if/when Vander will start earning meaningful xp.

In the meantime, I hit B supports for Chloe/Celine and Etie/Yunaka in FE: Engage.

Caution. The Gay has been detected in the Somniel in considerable force.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think Vander might be internally level 11 or 21, given that his XP rate is so slow

I wonder if he has a niche as a general though, I personally haven’t used him given that Alfred comes in and does his job better with a few levels

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I was told every prepromote are calculated as if they promoted at level 15. I have no idea if that's true though!!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Warrior Jean on Lynn is a player phase monster who kills everything in his path (except for generals).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, but I like to know who I should be making an effort to feed kills to.

And if/when Vander will start earning meaningful xp.

In the meantime, I hit B supports for Chloe/Celine and Etie/Yunaka in FE: Engage.

Caution. The Gay has been detected in the Somniel in considerable force.

Check out Louis/Rosado when you can for even more of The Gay

For the most part I've made peace with the lack of non-Alear paired endings but I really wish I could pair Louis and Rosado after seeing their supports

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Carlosologist posted:

I think Vander might be internally level 11 or 21, given that his XP rate is so slow

I wonder if he has a niche as a general though, I personally haven’t used him given that Alfred comes in and does his job better with a few levels

Not sure if pre-promotion affects this; it's possible there's logic in unpacked files I haven't seen. I can say the job-specific file treats all Advanced classes (such as Paladin) as a baseline of 20. There may be additional logic as well; e.g. total levels earned by a character across all their jobs (which might be a reduced total instead of an absolute one).

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
One thing I will say that given how casually many of the supports throw around innuendo, I found the pact ring convos to be surprisingly chaste at times.

Chloe comes across like Alear wants to be BFFs more than anything and Ivy acts more like she’s being chosen to be Alear’s High Priestess more than their wife.

Don’t necessarily think they’re BAD or anything, but after years of Awakening-style hard left turns into romance for S Supports, it did catch me a little off guard.

Notty fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 5, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Notty posted:

I thing I will say that given how casually many of the supports throw around innuendo, I found the pact ring convos to be surprisingly chaste at times.

Chloe comes across like Alear wants to be BFFs more than anything and Ivy acts more like she’s being chosen to be Alear’s High Priestess more than their wife.

Don’t necessarily think they’re BAD or anything, but after years of Awakening-style hard left turns into romance for S Supports, it did catch me a little off guard.

In Ivy's case it's hard because she's reserved in general, but I think like Edelgard it is meant to be romantic, it's just with an emotionally cool character. The deity thing complicates it for sure because she's one of the few characters who remembers there's a religion about you. It's nowhere near as romantic is Merrin/Yunaka/Goldmary though, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
man Chapter 17 on Hard Classic is loving owning me. Need to completely rethink my approach.