Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

Dryzen posted:

Very fair if you don’t want to bother but figured it would be helpful to give the option

Whoa. I think I found what I needed. Thanks for this! Was sore that I lost those 12 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

As I recall 7 days to die is incredibly CPU dependent so I can see that not working well on the deck.

It's also boring single player but it's my favorite coop zombie survival game. Every couple of years during its millennia long alpha we spin up a server and play for a few weeks.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Barreft posted:

If you're buying a $400+ product why skimp out on like $30 in savings, with no peace of mind that your stuff won't brick the $400 purchase?

Oh I'm not saying not to buy the official Dreck Dock at all, just that it's not worth the price premium solely/specifically because of the included PSU, which, as I've mentioned repeatedly, is nothing special. It operates based on the USB-PD spec, just like every other spec-compliant PSU does. I'd be more satisfied if they offered the official dock for like $60 without the PSU, at least as a separate option. That would still be a premium compared to the perfectly good $40-50 docks from iVoler or JSAUX (and there's one for <$30 right now on Amazon,) unless you really need the extra functionality of the official one related to the video outputs.

I guess "peace of mind" is technically a thing, in the sense that people who aren't familiar with technology will let themselves get misinformed about these kinds of topics and then waste money making themselves feel better, but you will not """brick your purchase""" if the electrons going into it come from a different-branded PSU. :rolleyes:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah USB-C has never ever damaged devices through people plugging in the wrong thing because the physical connector is identical, or using poorly made knockoff crap that doesn’t actually adhere to the standard, not once!

It’s definitely something you can feel 100% safe condescending to people about when they suggest spending a few extra bucks to try and maximise the chances of not breaking your very expensive devices.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1063892/we-tested-43-old-usb-c-to-usb-a-cables-1-was-great-10-were-dangerous.html

https://www.slrlounge.com/cheap-usb-c-cables-can-destroy-heres-how-to-stay-safe-not-gamble-with-your-devices/

https://www.howtogeek.com/240777/watch-out-how-to-buy-a-usb-type-c-cable-that-wont-damage-your-devices/amp/

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/home-and-office/smart-office/using-the-wrong-usb-c-cable-can-damage-your-tech-heres-how-to-avoid-that/

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Mescal posted:

I just feel like they’re hiding a big Settings menu in there somewhere :shrug:

Yeh, it's called 'Konsole'.

Less facetiously, it's hard to know what you think is missing unless you can describe it. I'm sure there's additional settings menus scattered around but System Settings is has a lot of stuff in it if you dig around the sub-menus.

That said, if you're hoping for some big set of infinitely-tweakable knobs and dials then, seriously, Konsole is the answer. That'll let you get in and mess with the guts of the thing, but there's heaps of things that aren't exposed to the average user via a settings GUI because it's not intended to be fiddled with in normal circumstances.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I did that already, it's fully updated. Just started happening recently (was making GBS threads out on Bluetooth before). Maybe it's not providing enough power somehow? RetroArch especially hates when it cuts out

Open the battery compartment and make sure the metal tabs on the left side are making good contact the batteries (or battery if you are using the OEM one). I had this issue, pushed the metal tabs down so that they are bent and this making better contact. Problem solved.

Edit: never mind, yours is wired, you are hosed. Leaving the instructions in case someone has the issue with the wireless one.

Animal fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 4, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Animal posted:

Open the battery compartment and make sure the metal tabs on the left side are making good contact the batteries (or battery if you are using the OEM one). I had this issue, pushed the metal tabs down so that they are bent and this making better contact. Problem solved.

Edit: never mind, yours is wired, you are hosed. Leaving the instructions in case someone has the issue with the wireless one.

Lol well poo poo

It seems to happen the most in the pcsx2 emulator so maybe something is just too intensive

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 4, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sabrent has a 1TB 2230 drive up for Preorder on Amazon for $160: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQG6JCRP?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_PSMH01KAGJ307WAS760E&th=1

For anyone that doesn't have a Micro Center near them.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just spent forever loving around in a vm to compile this for Linux, once you do all the nerd poo poo all you really need to do to get it looking great on deck is change the aspect ratio in the ini to 16:10, the controls are already detected automatically.

I haven’t had a chance to gently caress around with all the enhancements they’ve added yet for item switching etc. but they look pretty handy.

The only weirdness at the moment with a widescreen aspect ratio is when you get to the left or right edge of a map tile it scrolls over a little, but it’s a smooth scroll instead of anything horribly jarring so actually isn’t that bad at all in motion.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I wish there was a simple way to to add just one game to Steam with Steam Rom Manager. No I do not want 500 Atari games filling up my library, I just want Video Pinball.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

simply download video pinball and not 500 other games

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

kdrudy posted:

I wish there was a simple way to to add just one game to Steam with Steam Rom Manager. No I do not want 500 Atari games filling up my library, I just want Video Pinball.

You can just manual add single games if you want. Add non-steam game to launcher, and copy the paths the other roms use. Use stream grid db to grab the pictures. I add single games all the time that way instead of running steam rom manager again.

Super No Vacancy posted:

simply download video pinball and not 500 other games

Or do this, this plan is good too.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

While I was balls deep in awful Linux nerd poo poo I decided to try and build the Linux native version of SM64 Plus too, which was successful BUT the launcher doesn’t map the controller properly so it doesn’t really work that great.

You get stuck at the opening “press any key” splash and have to force open the virtual keyboard and actually press a key, then it’ll only respond to button presses if you change the controller map to keyboard emulation or whatever it’s called and it’s just an increasingly huge pain in the rear end from there.

Running the windows version under proton on the other hand is flawless out of the box (provided you change the renderer to opengl in the launcher before trying to start the game) so tbh I’m just gonna keep on using that one and I recommend it to anybody who wants to play some SM64 on the deck.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
To be fair, that describes about half of the Steam library with native Linux ports.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Finally started digging into Pentiment and it's great on Deck. However I wish I had realized earlier that you can wander around talking to people as much as you want, time only passes at certain points. I was... not as prepared for the end of the first part as I'd have liked.

edit: I'm almost tempted to start again and do it "right" but otoh I can't imagine I'll really enjoy going through every prompt again right after I just did it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Finally started digging into Pentiment and it's great on Deck. However I wish I had realized earlier that you can wander around talking to people as much as you want, time only passes at certain points. I was... not as prepared for the end of the first part as I'd have liked.

edit: I'm almost tempted to start again and do it "right" but otoh I can't imagine I'll really enjoy going through every prompt again right after I just did it.

It's by design and the game does infer in its dialogue if something will take time but you will not be able to do everything in a certain time period. It's up to you on how best to spend it and gather clues. Just enjoy the ride.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
The steam deck is too heavy. If all you're doing is playing pre PsP games, the Vita is far superior.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

False

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Sounds like someone needs a nursing pillow.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Steam Deck: Sounds like someone needs a nursing pillow

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Quixzlizx posted:

Sounds like someone needs a nursing pillow.

You calling me a big baby?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

tensai posted:

Whoa. I think I found what I needed. Thanks for this! Was sore that I lost those 12 hours.

Glad it helped! A lot of games for whatever reason don’t have saves go to the right place for cloud saves and I haven’t really looked in to why. For anyone else who ever encounters a similar problem, changes in the proton version also will make a new prefix folder and if the saves don’t go in to cloud saves you’ll find them in a similar place in the old prefix folder

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Defenistrator posted:

You calling me a big baby?

Well, in this case, breastfeeding would be to your benefit.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Yeah one of the first things I did was bookmark the saves folder in WinSCP/Deck for easy finding and auto syncing 3rd party game saves

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I started using syncthing to automate all my saves for non steam stuff and it’s especially handy for save states since emu deck makes everything go in to one folder by default. On my pc I just set up all my emulators in a similar way and just never think about it. I’m pretty sure the emudeck people are also planning some kind of save cloud syncing in the future but I’m going to stick with using syncthing since I can set it up for everything like my morrowind mod folder lol

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Defenistrator posted:

The steam deck is too heavy. If all you're doing is playing pre PsP games, the Vita is far superior.

TBF, and I do love my big heavy Deck, this is the light.

Just bothered to install MH Rise on this, though, and it really does run nicely.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Witcher 3 keeps doing updates the size of the whole drat game since the new version came out and it's really loving annoying and I don't get whats going on tbh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Witcher 3 keeps doing updates the size of the whole drat game since the new version came out and it's really loving annoying and I don't get whats going on tbh.

Yeah and the updates take forever.

CP2077 does the same drat thing.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah USB-C has never ever damaged devices through people plugging in the wrong thing because the physical connector is identical, or using poorly made knockoff crap that doesn’t actually adhere to the standard, not once!

It’s definitely something you can feel 100% safe condescending to people about when they suggest spending a few extra bucks to try and maximise the chances of not breaking your very expensive devices.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1063892/we-tested-43-old-usb-c-to-usb-a-cables-1-was-great-10-were-dangerous.html

https://www.slrlounge.com/cheap-usb-c-cables-can-destroy-heres-how-to-stay-safe-not-gamble-with-your-devices/

https://www.howtogeek.com/240777/watch-out-how-to-buy-a-usb-type-c-cable-that-wont-damage-your-devices/amp/

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/home-and-office/smart-office/using-the-wrong-usb-c-cable-can-damage-your-tech-heres-how-to-avoid-that/

Those articles cover the old USB-A-to-C issue, and you wouldn't be trying to get up to 100 W from a USB-A port anyway because of course that's not within the USB spec (PD 2.0 was introduced with USB 3.1, alongside the Type-C port which is required to get the bidirectional 100 W power transfer,) along with outright counterfeit cables. Both of those are obviously not what I was referring to when I specifically mentioned spec compliance, and the subject of bad cables is not the same as what I was talking about, which was simply using a different brand of PSU as long as it's compliant.

Like, you do understand that I've been recommending PD PSUs that have USB-C output ports, so bringing up bad USB-A cables is completely irrelevant? You physically cannot "brick your switch" with a good PSU and a bad USB-A cable unless you're loving around with gender changers and extensions to get it back to USB-C, and then that's on you, not the PSU.

Edit: I can't emphasize enough how dumb those comparisons are. Neither the Dreck nor the PSUs I've suggested have USB-A ports, so the existence of bad USB-A cables is entirely irrelevant. Also, counterfeit non-emarked cables are also irrelevant because the Dreck doesn't draw more than 3 A anyways. You can totally warn people against using bad accessories, except I've suggested using ones from a well-known brand, Anker. And then you linked cautionary articles about bad cables that don't apply at all to the discussion. Just mind-blowing.... :psyboom:

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 5, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Not reading those links but when USB-C PD first started being a thing there were lots of bad adapters that tried to roll their own implementation and dangerously and fire-startingly hosed up the negotiation. I don't think that's been a problem for a long time though since the PD controllers became widely available and cheap, none of the cheapos are trying to fake it with an avr anymore.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah and the updates take forever.

CP2077 does the same drat thing.

Out of curiosity, how does the Deck handle updates (especially shaders) for non-Steam games? E.g., if I install the GOG version of Witcher 3, will it be updated automatically, like the Steam version, or do I have to go through the launcher I used to install the game (i.e., Heroic or Lutris)?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Not reading those links but when USB-C PD first started being a thing there were lots of bad adapters that tried to roll their own implementation and dangerously and fire-startingly hosed up the negotiation. I don't think that's been a problem for a long time though since the PD controllers became widely available and cheap, none of the cheapos are trying to fake it with an avr anymore.

Yeah the point is that any recent hardware, like the stuff I've been recommending that's released in the past year or two, is fine to use with any compatible equipment.

And of those links, the first 3 were all about the early USB-A-to-C cables that didn't have the 56 kΩ resistor, which hasn't been an issue in years, and is meaningless because you wouldn't be using one of those to power your Dreck (especially from a PSU that doesn't have a USB-A port!)

The final link was about "counterfeit" USB-C cables. But the kicker is, they're "counterfeit" in the sense that they're advertised as having the electronic marker designating them as safe to carry up to 5 A of current, but they don't actually have it, and can't carry 5 A...which means that they're regular 3 A cables, and are thus totally safe to use anyway because they're not going to carry above 60 W, and the Dreck doesn't use that much anyway! The entire article is just fear-mongering, quite like the anti-3rd-party accessory rhetoric.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

MuLepton posted:

Out of curiosity, how does the Deck handle updates (especially shaders) for non-Steam games? E.g., if I install the GOG version of Witcher 3, will it be updated automatically, like the Steam version, or do I have to go through the launcher I used to install the game (i.e., Heroic or Lutris)?

Same thing basically. Your're either using proton or wine with those launchers and they are relying on more or less the same stuff as steam to make the games work in Linux.

The only thing is you're launching a windows version of the launcher when playing epic,ea,or ubisoft games, so you have to run them to update your stuff. Lutris handles it pretty well though but you wanna set everything up in the desktop mode first. It's a mouse UI.

E: Basically you need to launch Epic to update the game, and run the game to compile shaders. It doesn't preload stuff on it's own like steam games do.

Vic fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 5, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Atomizer posted:

Just mind-blowing.... :psyboom:
Are you on the USB-IF or something?

I don't think anyone is posting in bad faith here. There's a genuine lack of consumer confidence in USB-C, and USB across the board. It stems from a combination of USB-IF nomenclature that's impenetrable for even moderately tech-savvy consumers, past anecdotes about stuff going really wrong, and personal experiences of USB(-C) stuff frequently not working as advertised. Folks are just not equipped to appreciate the nuances of e-mark cables or why USB-A to -C is a whole different can of worms than USB-C to -C.

In my own USB-C accessory collection I have a name-brand OEM non-PD charger that runs vbus hot, two Nintendo Switch chargers that don't usefully charge non-Nintendo PD devices, and a name-brand OEM laptop PD charger that despite labeling consistent with USB PD 2.0 doesn't charge anything but my laptop. That said, I've never had a problem with Anker or third-party stuff generally (aside from a few USB-C to HDMI DP alt-mode adapters that don't work as advertised).

Atomizer posted:

Yeah the point is that any recent hardware, like the stuff I've been recommending that's released in the past year or two, is fine to use with any compatible equipment.
I agree with you here. That said, if I came across a random USB-C charger I wouldn't know if it's been released in the past two years or older. Even you're caveating your USB defense here.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have a popular retro gaming handheld (Anbernic RG353V) that has a USB-C port for charging but will not charge with a USB-C cable. It must be USB-A to USB-C.

Everybody involved with designing and implementing the USB spec deserves to be fired into the sun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How long does it take to ship a steam deck usually?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A week-ish to Canada, I think. Shorter for a lot of people in the US.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I have a popular retro gaming handheld (Anbernic RG353V) that has a USB-C port for charging but will not charge with a USB-C cable. It must be USB-A to USB-C.

Everybody involved with designing and implementing the USB spec deserves to be fired into the sun.

I have 5 visually identical USB-A to USB-C cables, 4 of them are power only and one will also do data. There is no identifying mark to tell the data cable apart from the others. The level to which they've managed to gently caress up USB over the last 10 years is crazy.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ordered mine late on a Friday had it in my hands by Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Mine came in 6 days (said it would take 7) here in the US of A.