Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Nailed a Sherpa and his Sherpee leaving dorms last night, they must have come from marked room because the loot was PHAT. Now I have a full meta AK with 3 mags of BS and a nice set of body armor.

It was kind of cute, only reason I won the fight was the Sherpa tried running away to pull me from the Sherpee who was carrying the loot. Shot him in the back a few hundred meters away, and 5 minutes later spotted Sherpee trying to make his stealthy escape.

If prior experience is any guide, next time I load into a raid I'll get drilled in the head by 7.62 from 200 meters away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
I really wish the scav mechanics were more like players (gun sway, target leading, dropoff, MoA, durability, break-chance) rather than just an internal to-hit roll based on the "difficulty" of the scav wave.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

matryx posted:

I really wish the scav mechanics were more like players (gun sway, target leading, dropoff, MoA, durability, break-chance) rather than just an internal to-hit roll based on the "difficulty" of the scav wave.

Wait, what? Is this actually how it works?

That's some nonsense, if true.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

Yes, it is actually true.
At least, all the convo recently about scavs being laser beams just post wipe, and the discoveries that followed on from that to do with changes balancing for different difficulties strongly implies it. Without real codebase access who truly knows.
I think there was a video on it by one of those mechanics diving youtube types - I'll try to find it.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boj49GOTCt0 has some details though I've not seen this video myself, it does have the image I saw from twitter with % changes.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It sucks, but I think this game already runs like rear end enough that I don't want every scav on the map constantly running hundreds more calculations per second to try and get themselves a kill.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It sucks, but I think this game already runs like rear end enough that I don't want every scav on the map constantly running hundreds more calculations per second to try and get themselves a kill.

On the other end, the idea of scav sniper being KOS seems funny if you imagine them to be like a computer tower

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The Scav sniper is programmed to miss his first shot against your group is the only bit of Scav behavior code I know. However I've been hit by regular Scavs first shot quite reliably.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I never really played dress-up in this before but it has really paid off. I put on the scavviest jacket and pants available a little while ago and today a player scav snuck up behind me but didn't shoot, presumably because they thought I too was a scav. USEC Aggressor TAC jacket wins again.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Are you guys playing binaural audio on or off now? Is the fps hit worth it? (or maybe that's due to memory leaks? i dont know)

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've still got it off and will probably keep it that way until Onepeg or somebody like that makes a vid saying "it's fine now". Streets is playable for me right now, but only barely and I don't wanna wreck performance with unoptimized audio on top of that.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

poe meater posted:

Are you guys playing binaural audio on or off now? Is the fps hit worth it? (or maybe that's due to memory leaks? i dont know)

Currently I think the accepted theory is it is still not working and keep it off.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
I honestly haven't noticed any impact to performance or sound either way so I just leave it on

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Rahu posted:

I never really played dress-up in this before but it has really paid off. I put on the scavviest jacket and pants available a little while ago and today a player scav snuck up behind me but didn't shoot, presumably because they thought I too was a scav. USEC Aggressor TAC jacket wins again.

White jacket red armband and jeans will make you invisible to player scavs

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Mae posted:

White jacket red armband and jeans will make you invisible to player scavs

Most times just wearing nothing on a dark map like interchange or night raid will be enough.

One of my first raids this wipe I went armorless with a mosin to interchange just to mess around for xp and some pscav ran into me in the back of OLI and I shot him and he shouted "hey man what the gently caress I'm a scav!" so I shot him again.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Would Tarkov still follow the raid model if it did get to the final open-world stage? I suppose it being a constant, living world would open up spawn camping.

lol the whole "Nikita will any day now completely redesign the game and make it open-world, just like he's always promised!" is some pretty naive poo poo. There is not chance in hell that Tarkov is going to alter its fundamental extract gameplay to try an open world game. The game can barely run as it is, so I just love the die-hards who hope any day now that daddy Nikky will deliver, after all, the game is still in Beta! (after 10 years of development...).

Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely love the poo poo out of an open-world Tarkov, but it ain't gonna happen.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I want to switch over to Ground Branch but they’ve been in development nearly as long as Tarkov with less to show for it. Prone position isn’t even in the game yet.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A big open world would be neat but BSG needs to do a whole lot of server-side work to make that viable, and they are nowhere close to making that happen. Right now they can't even keep a server with under 20 players on streets from randomly rubberbanding everyone.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is this ever coming to steam?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

open world would be neat but would also probably involve a complete rebuild of the game, i don't think it's happening unless they do a rebranded "escape from tarkov 2" a la what ggg is doing with path of exile

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Hooplah posted:

open world would be neat but would also probably involve a complete rebuild of the game, i don't think it's happening unless they do a rebranded "escape from tarkov 2" a la what ggg is doing with path of exile

Tarkov: Escape 2 Norvinsk maybe

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Mr. Crow posted:

Is this ever coming to steam?
No.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
drat, guess DMZ it is.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

widespread posted:

Tarkov: Escape 2 Norvinsk maybe

Tarkov: 2 Cheeky 2 Breeki

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Cheekier breekier

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Tarkov: 2 Cheeky 2 Breeki

The Tark and the Furious?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

drat, guess DMZ it is.

It’s not particularly hard to buy and set up though.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Weekly is to extract from Interchange 18 times. I'm at 13.

Don't know how many more i have in me...

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Weekly is to extract from Interchange 18 times. I'm at 13.

Don't know how many more i have in me...

I had extract from Shoreline 10 and if I wasn't doing all the quests that required going to Shoreline again and again AND AGAIN AND AGAIN I wouldn't have bothered.

Pistol/headset/sj6 and run IMO

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I had extract from Shoreline 10 and if I wasn't doing all the quests that required going to Shoreline again and again AND AGAIN AND AGAIN I wouldn't have bothered.

Pistol/headset/sj6 and run IMO

It doesn't help that the other quests are usually at odds with extracting. I was on chumming and Make Ultra Great Again which both involve combat.

I did buy a 21WS keycard because of this. It was 150K and I'd say you average that each run, but it is a bit of a pain in the arse given the location and the need for power to be on.

At least I now know the Interchange underground carpark pretty well

Incoming Chinchilla fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 4, 2023

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, 5 attempts at even seeing the loving Resort rooftop dish for Signal 1, and then I knock out all 3 jammers for Part 3 in one go and never see a soul.
loving hell Shoreline needs something more.

Also limp on my last bits of health to the Factory exit for Scout and it still gives me a run throug, goddamn. At least it keeps the progress unlike Signal did. There weren't that many "do it one in all go mate" quests in the last wipe...

At least Skier is honest and doesn't give a gently caress if I live or die on his quests.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

shoreline is where the cult should set the nuke off and they should also find peacekeeper and shoot him many, many times

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Played this for the first time. Eh when you are playing as a Scav how do you know if the other plays is a Scav or not? I have been shot first by some of them while others don't shoot.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

You either start to recognise them slowly by distinct visuals or you press F1 to say a soundbite, which the other scav will then reciprocate or just use the voip. All of these, of course, carry a risk.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Or you can do the wiggle test.

Tbh as a scav, it's prob best to not shoot anyone unless you're really sure. The rep hit isn't worth it. I had to grind from like -2 back up when I was learning to tell the difference last month.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Tbh as a scav, it's prob best to not shoot anyone unless you're really sure.

Yep, agree with this. I'll lose it all before I lose rep. I just accept I'm gonna get popped sometimes, to the point that I don't often even bother to try and identify anyone I hear coming. Even with that attitude my scav's survival rate is 86%, compared to 42% for my PMC

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Use your mic as scav and say "hey buddy"
Never die again

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I often dump all my mags to fit more loot on my scav, since I basically never get into a fight where I don't die within the first few seconds anyway.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Use your mic as scav and say "hey buddy"
Never die again

This is surprisingly effective. Other player scavs seems way less likely to want to murder me for my stuff when I whisper sweet nothings in their ears.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Rahu posted:

This is surprisingly effective. Other player scavs seems way less likely to want to murder me for my stuff when I whisper sweet nothings in their ears.

I have about a 95% success rate with this. Sometimes even PMCs want to take the co-op extract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I look at their arms generally