Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ardiem
Apr 26, 2022

this is phenomenal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

Joe is bad because he didn't shoot it down before it violated our airspace

Joe is bad because he said to shoot it down on Wednesday and his military didn't do it

Joe is bad because he listened to his military and let them wait until Saturday

Donnie never would've let that happen and it would've been met with

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1621949420299231232?t=bctkr7ZB7Z_qZOXuZkxP5g&s=19

absolutely no response whatsoever

See also: the deficit

Notahippie posted:

That swimmer seems fast as poo poo.

Reddit says they wear flippers but yeah he is hauling

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Reddit says they wear flippers but yeah he is hauling

*sigh* They're called fins. It's not goggles, it's a mask (if it covers the nose). It's not oxygen, it's air, NITROX, HELIOX, or TRIMIX... unless it's actually oxygen (40%+ O2 blend).

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
nerd

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The proper term is egregious stroke.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Trying to swirly this guy but he's got a snorkel

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m trying really hard to come up with a reason to probate him.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

FrozenVent posted:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

TCD posted:

UNCLOS is a very well established limit codified by the UN back in the early 1980s.

China has rejected the legitimacy of the UNCLOS or something with their territorial disputes in the SCS.

The limit is like 200 miles from the continental shelf or some poo poo I think I never pay attention to that poo poo. Its more than 12 miles.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FrozenVent posted:

“Thank you for your service Senior Chief. Gooooooo COAST GUARD!!🫡 “

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 5, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Holy poo poo that boat got tossed around like a toy

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Shallow posting on a deep subject

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

China has rejected the legitimacy of the UNCLOS or something with their territorial disputes in the SCS.

The limit is like 200 miles from the continental shelf or some poo poo I think I never pay attention to that poo poo. Its more than 12 miles.

Territorial waters is 12 miles, that’s generally not in dispute. The exclusive economic zone extends 200 miles, or to the limit of the continental shelf, whichever is greatest - but that’s not territorial waters, it just means the coastal state gets exclusive use of the resources. Oil and fish and wind farms.

Where it gets complicated is where you have islands (hence the issue with China and the South China Sea), because each island gets its own bubble around it, and the waters within an archipelago belongs to that state.

But also if there’s a passage between two oceans then that’s an international strait and…

In summation international law is made up and more of a set of guidelines, but the 12 miles territorial water limit is a pretty solid and internationally recognized thing.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

gently caress you guys, that poo poo was art.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

Territorial waters is 12 miles, that’s generally not in dispute. The exclusive economic zone extends 200 miles, or to the limit of the continental shelf, whichever is greatest - but that’s not territorial waters, it just means the coastal state gets exclusive use of the resources. Oil and fish and wind farms.

Where it gets complicated is where you have islands (hence the issue with China and the South China Sea), because each island gets its own bubble around it, and the waters within an archipelago belongs to that state.

But also if there’s a passage between two oceans then that’s an international strait and…

In summation international law is made up and more of a set of guidelines, but the 12 miles territorial water limit is a pretty solid and internationally recognized thing.

All I care about is the CARB and ECA so I can make sure the fuel change is done.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That’s a whole different set of rules that has little, if anything, to do with UNCLOS. (It’s MARPOL VI, with a touch of “gently caress you, we’re the US / China / the EU, we do what we want”)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

Joe is bad because he didn't shoot it down before it violated our airspace

Joe is bad because he said to shoot it down on Wednesday and his military didn't do it

Joe is bad because he listened to his military and let them wait until Saturday

Donnie never would've let that happen and it would've been met with

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1621949420299231232?t=bctkr7ZB7Z_qZOXuZkxP5g&s=19

absolutely no response whatsoever

Alternately, Joe is bad because he shot it down over Tennessee and now it rained debris all over mah property and dented mah truck.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Alternately, Joe is bad because he shot it down over Tennessee and now it rained debris all over mah property and dented mah truck.

I threw that logic at my FIL and it stunned him for a few seconds at least.

"Hey, do you think it'd be a good thing if three metro busses just randomly fell from the sky?"
"uhh, I uhh, well no, but...uhhh"

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Joe BRANDON killed muh fishes with the falling balloon!! Why Demonrats hate small fisherman?!??

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Dark Brandon and Xi are in league to kill off true MAGA patriots one by one via looney tunes anvils dropped from high altitude balloons onto suburban Chattanooga.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's hosed up that Chinese balloons are made out of city buses, based on how everybody references the size.

Let me know when there's a balloon measured in football fields, or the Empire State Building laid on its side. Or how many times it would go to the moon and back if you laid it end to end

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

It's hosed up that Chinese balloons are made out of city buses, based on how everybody references the size.

We need to return to the classic way to reference size

https://twitter.com/SheriffAlert/status/1221881862244749315?t=ANaDuzfRGdxH-aaFSzX5bw&s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I kinda hope china keeps trolling us with a series of weather balloons, but the payloads are just a bunch of plastic trash we sent them to "recycle" a decade ago and we just wind up littering the coasts because we have to shoot them down.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Send a bunch of balloons over China to let them shoot them down.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

I just hope the balloon wars includes Biden calling on everyone to preserve helium, followed by a bunch of very high pitched protests

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

Joe BRANDON killed muh fishes with the falling balloon!! Why Demonrats hate small fisherman?!??

The Pacific Ocean is choking with garbage, much of it coming from cheap Chinese products, dumped with reckless abandon.

Not content to destroy just one ocean, Xi Jinping has turned his sights on the Atlantic Ocean. And now he's getting help from an unexpected ally: Joe "Microplastics Lover" Biden himself, sending a $334 million dollar plane to fire a $500,000 missile at a cheap balloon. That's your tax dollars at work, doing a job that any kid with a slingshot could have done for free. But the Democrats have banned slingshots, and next, they'll ban kids too.

Tell Joe Biden to stop wasting American tax dollars to help the Chinese pollute our pristine ocean with its spy balloons. Text TRUMP to *42069.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

gently caress you guys, that poo poo was art.

DM me what I missed please

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The Pacific Ocean is choking with garbage, much of it coming from cheap Chinese products, dumped with reckless abandon.

Not content to destroy just one ocean, Xi Jinping has turned his sights on the Atlantic Ocean. And now he's getting help from an unexpected ally: Joe "Microplastics Lover" Biden himself, sending a $334 million dollar plane to fire a $500,000 missile at a cheap balloon. That's your tax dollars at work, doing a job that any kid with a slingshot could have done for free. But the Democrats have banned slingshots, and next, they'll ban kids too.

Tell Joe Biden to stop wasting American tax dollars to help the Chinese pollute our pristine ocean with its spy balloons. Text TRUMP to *42069.

One of my wife's friends just declared that the previous balloons under Trump are just what the Biden media machine wants us to think

Edit to add: how do you even counter these people if that is their version of reality?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mostly you just start making fun of them to their face

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ASAPI posted:

One of my wife's friends just declared that the previous balloons under Trump are just what the Biden media machine wants us to think

Edit to add: how do you even counter these people if that is their version of reality?

You don’t. Tell your wife to make better friends.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
yeah you can't fix people like that. they're too far gone to deprogram. just get minimum safe distance and let them self-destruct in isolation

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Timbs posted:

Mostly you just start making fun of them to their face

It’s this. You don’t win these idiots over. And for the love of god never engage them sincerely and honestly. There’s no point. Just loving dunk on them like it’s the school yard and your in 7th grade again. Eventually nature will sort poo poo out, but cogent, honest, sincere, informed dialogue? Donald goddamned Trump.

I rest my care.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

ASAPI posted:

Absolute, nonstop ridicule

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Article on the Taliban adapting to the fact that while fighting for your country is hard, maybe running it is too. A strange mix of trying to settle down with strong religious kid starts university energy.

Article

If you're interested in Afghanistan, this one would certainly be worth your time. note though that if you have a personal connection to the war there are mentions of killing American troops.

quote:

But once an old man with his old Corolla stopped, I thought he did so to pick me up, but he didn’t. Rather, he mockingly told me that now the entire government is in your hands, so you no longer deserve help, adding that now it’s your turn to pay back all the help we have given you.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s this. You don’t win these idiots over. And for the love of god never engage them sincerely and honestly. There’s no point. Just loving dunk on them like it’s the school yard and your in 7th grade again. Eventually nature will sort poo poo out, but cogent, honest, sincere, informed dialogue? Donald goddamned Trump.

I rest my case.

I've basically fallen back onto this option. Basically, in general life, you don't want to know people that have the ability to whatabout / sunk cost fallacy themselves into oblivion because at some point, you'll probably be on the negative end of that when you do something that may/may not actually exist in real life. General exception for coworkers and family members, with the added exception if they're actually good people.

Once you get into fever swampy whataboutism stuff, there's not really much convincing that can be done. See:

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/1622353829369888768?t=zZWRvhAX99ZsVo63Ycjwgw&s=19

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Jaguars! posted:

Article on the Taliban adapting to the fact that while fighting for your country is hard, maybe running it is too. A strange mix of trying to settle down with strong religious kid starts university energy.

Article

If you're interested in Afghanistan, this one would certainly be worth your time. note though that if you have a personal connection to the war there are mentions of killing American troops.

This was a pro-click. Even the Taliban hate the peacetime army.

lol posted:

When we came to our hawza [police district] and saw the compound, the weapons and the security measures, it was unbelievable how they’d abandoned such places without firing a single bullet. We were stunned by the cowardice of the [former] army and police. If even a very small number of them had tried to fight us, we couldn’t have made it to Kabul for years, given its complexity and the weapons they had. Praise be to Allah, [the victory] was directly because of His help.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

FrozenVent posted:

Who says you need a reason?????

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
East Palestine, Ohio could go boom very shortly:

https://twitter.com/GovMikeDeWine/status/1622409784593993729

this is basically what the derailment looked like, as the vinyl chloride is burning enough that 400 gallons of water hasn't put the fire out, so the firefighters have been told to back off:

https://twitter.com/ismithKDKA/status/1621941466355441665

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Also Turkey had an earthquake (7.8/6.7) 45 minutes ago and uh this isn't looking too great based on initial footage:

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1622416291872051205

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

I've basically fallen back onto this option. Basically, in general life, you don't want to know people that have the ability to whatabout / sunk cost fallacy themselves into oblivion because at some point, you'll probably be on the negative end of that when you do something that may/may not actually exist in real life. General exception for coworkers and family members, with the added exception if they're actually good people.

Once you get into fever swampy whataboutism stuff, there's not really much convincing that can be done. See:

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/1622353829369888768?t=zZWRvhAX99ZsVo63Ycjwgw&s=19

Last June, a derecho rolled through Ohio and knocked power out for hundreds of thousands. The grid was so damaged that more people lost power while they repaired it.

One of my mom's friends went all :tinfoil: because the lights were out and one of HER friends claimed it was government attempting to mind control people.

Just the worst kind of degenerate brain worms.