Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Duckman2008 posted:

but the Blues are gonna sell whatever they can (hopefully) so you never know.

keep hoping buddy, management, ownership, and casual fans have brainworms that think this is just an underperformance issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
bo knows extensions

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

$8x7 for Miller instead of $8x8 for Bo. :smith:

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1621891102495105027?s=20&t=K0Dvmf38kwlTprc-Vl-Jug

... but why?

Also why are they not ensuring that the only Australian player in NHL history, Nathan Walker of the St. Louis Blues, is part of this?

2 thoughts, pretty sure future player development is not it..

1) digital subscriptions- lots of (globally) rich potential customers who will happily pay for streaming services.

2) sports betting- australia has some of the loosest gambling regulations and combined with a culture of “having a bet” (we have a public holiday for a horse race..) means we will happily invest the kids education fund on whether or not McDavid has an odd or even number of shifts in the 2nd period. It’s obviously part of the new NHL financial model and we can pour some money if given the invitation. Suspect at the moment average gambler here wouldn’t know enough to feel confident betting, perhaps some local games and increased coverage would help.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mind_Taker posted:

Buffalo really should be looking to add. Probably not all in but making the playoffs should be a big deal for them after years of misery.

I’ve seen a lot of speculation about them trying to bring a winger in for the third line because Mittelstadt sucks, or a defenseman because Jokiharju is mediocre (but decent when paired with Power) and Bryson/Lyubushkin is a nightmare pairing. Mostly Bryson, who is small and bad at defense, but Lyubushkin takes penalties at the worst times. When they had Pilut up from Rochester and paired him with Lyubushkin they were decent, but for some reason the team has a sunken-cost fallacy thing with Bryson.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

ThinkTank posted:

$8x7 for Miller instead of $8x8 for Bo. :smith:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1622327301219164160

8 x $8.5M, which IMO is a little high. that much money wrapped up in Barzal + Horvat seems questionable

would still take that over the Miller contract

also lol:

https://twitter.com/stefen_rosner/status/1622325844008910850

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

VOTE1 posted:

I don't mean they should bring Walker as an inspiration to the children of Perth, he's just an easy PR piece. I'd wager the vast majority of Australians have no idea that they have a countryman playing ice hockey at the highest level. They wouldn't go to Prague without a prominent Czech player, why would they go to Sydney or Melbourne without the only Aussie? Apparently the Canucks will be one of the teams which makes sense as half of the inhabitants of Whistler are from down under.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I’m not sure many 8 year deals look good for the back half. Don’t think this is going to be the exception.

Edit: re walker. Yeah it would make sense, but he’s also not a household name here, which is a notable difference.

Who knows maybe he’s going to get traded to whoever is going.

VOTE1 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 5, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

keep hoping buddy, management, ownership, and casual fans have brainworms that think this is just an underperformance issue

I’m not like, a big Armstrong fan, but he’s been pretty consistent on telling when the team sucks.

Ownership and fans are def another thing either way. I’ve been in St Louis for like, 7-8 years now, and the fans def do not operate in reality land sports wise. The Athletic’s Blues writer has to field mail bag questions like “why doesn’t St Louis just trade Torey Krug and Barbeshev to Toronto for Nylander and some other dude.” Like, poo poo that just blatantly won’t happen.

The issue either way is the team has too many bad contracts and is in cap hell.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

8 x $8.5M, which IMO is a little high. that much money wrapped up in Barzal + Horvat seems questionable

also lol:

Lou :laffo:

That is too much money tho

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Oh, Lou.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

WeaponX posted:

Lou :laffo:

That is too much money tho

He was talking about Bo’s hair

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

VOTE1 posted:

1) digital subscriptions- lots of (globally) rich potential customers who will happily pay for streaming services.

2) sports betting- australia has some of the loosest gambling regulations and combined with a culture of “having a bet” (we have a public holiday for a horse race..) means we will happily invest the kids education fund on whether or not McDavid has an odd or even number of shifts in the 2nd period. It’s obviously part of the new NHL financial model and we can pour some money if given the invitation. Suspect at the moment average gambler here wouldn’t know enough to feel confident betting, perhaps some local games and increased coverage would help.

Aussies are easy to get obsessed with sports. I enjoyed playing in Perth's three ice rinks while I lived there, and watching NHL games from 8:30-9:30AM while you could rewind and skip ads easily with nhl.tv, but... 7PM ET is 7AM in Perth half the year and 10AM on the east coast where most people live. Is there really such a bjg market for people betting on live sports in the morning/early afternoon?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

Aussies are easy to get obsessed with sports. I enjoyed playing in Perth's three ice rinks while I lived there, and watching NHL games from 8:30-9:30AM while you could rewind and skip ads easily with nhl.tv, but... 7PM ET is 7AM in Perth half the year and 10AM on the east coast where most people live. Is there really such a bjg market for people betting on live sports in the morning/early afternoon?

Premier league popularity has been up ticking pretty well in the US , and most games are 8am to 10am (and some in the afternoon), so I would say yes.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

You can bet from your phone via an app in Australia (something that I didn’t realise some places couldn’t). I can imagine plenty of worksites where guys are betting on morning break. Or lunch break or fuckit, during work.

Or just follow a west coast team, I’m in Adelaide and Canucks games start at 1:30.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

also lol:

That's Our Lou!™

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
The Canucks are a horribly mismanaged team, but I’m also good not giving Horvat 8.5 x 8 based off of half a great season.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

eXXon posted:

If Aussies liked to drink all the time it might work but alas.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Premier league popularity has been up ticking pretty well in the US , and most games are 8am to 10am (and some in the afternoon), so I would say yes.

Well that's another thing, there's no shortage of North American sports leagues including two different varieties of footy, why go for the pucky?

VOTE1 posted:

You can bet from your phone via an app in Australia (something that I didn’t realise some places couldn’t). I can imagine plenty of worksites where guys are betting on morning break. Or lunch break or fuckit, during work.

Or just follow a west coast team, I’m in Adelaide and Canucks games start at 1:30.

Now I'm vaguely curious how much betting is done during game play and/or by people actually watching the game vs just the scoreboard.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

WeaponX posted:

4 drafts in a row, 2013-16. Made the playoffs each year, including the finals.

Only other times Sather didn’t have a first was 2000 and 2002 and they definitely weren’t squeaking into the playoffs those years

In a story that I think just might maybe be related, the Rangers were terrible from 2018 to 2020.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hockey’s unique violence probably speaks to criminal island.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
committing to nearly a decade to a mediocre team like the Islanders without ever playing a game for them is pretty funny

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

committing to nearly a decade to a mediocre team like the Islanders without ever playing a game for them is pretty funny

Getting to live in New York and get paid millions of dollars to play hockey sounds like a pretty good deal to me

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Players almost always sign for the most dollars they can get, and noone is going to give him more than 68 million or get anywhere close. Even a team going to 7x8 is 12 million dollars less.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Loser money spends the same.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

$68 million AND getting to leave the tyre fire that is Vancouver.

He’ll manage.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

He's a big golfer and didn't want to miss out on those prime April tee times.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Bo is having a great season to be sure but man, it’s his first ppg season ever (at 27) and $8.5mil is a lot to pay your 2C for 8 years

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

The Dirty Burger posted:

Bo is having a great season to be sure but man, it’s his first ppg season ever (at 27) and $8.5mil is a lot to pay your 2C for 8 years

He’s going to be their 1c realistically, Barzal is almost definitely going to be moved to wing and they will have
Horvat
Nelson
Pageau
Cizikas
Up the middle

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1622401080406540294

That's actually pretty easy to buyout if they end up needing to down the line.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If that was the contract Horvat wanted from the Canucks I'm not upset he was traded.

They still should've traded JT Miller, though

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

The Kraken just got Jaycob Megna for a song (4th round pick) and this feels like a sneaky good business for someone who can log minutes and costs next to nothing.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am not sure I understand how the Isles are building their team. Sure, they are close to a playoff spot. But, even if they squeak in, what happens next season?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

.Spec posted:

The Kraken just got Jaycob Megna for a song (4th round pick) and this feels like a sneaky good business for someone who can log minutes and costs next to nothing.

I keep getting him mixed up with Jayson and being very confused why he has such a glowing profile around the league.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

grack posted:

If that was the contract Horvat wanted from the Canucks I'm not upset he was traded.

They still should've traded JT Miller, though

Yeah... Yeah :smith:

I'd have still taken Bo over Miller though. But preferably neither.

We'll never know what really went on last year but I really can't believe there wasn't a decent offer for Miller with like six unusually dominant teams going all-in.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/rainbowxvodka/status/1622369070287839233?s=46&t=7sCculVeYp2smNd84LnSKA

Sid a proud uncle

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

.Spec posted:

This is kind of a nothing trade, but if Justin Schultz is going to be on IR for a while longer it's better than playing Cale Fleury.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Twin Cinema posted:

I am not sure I understand how the Isles are building their team. Sure, they are close to a playoff spot. But, even if they squeak in, what happens next season?

they're in a pretty good spot going forward

next year they have little cap space but no real significant players that they need to pay. they'll probably lose mayfield but they'll keep everyone else

the year after they have to resign sorokin but josh bailey, matt martin and cal clutterbuck all expire

after than dobson and romanov are up and nelson's deal expires but so does kyle palmieri's

they have no real prospects of note but they're deep at center with horvat, nelson and jg pageau (and maybe barzal and lee in a pinch) and really deep on d with dobson, pelech, pulock and romanov. sorokin is probably the best goalie in the league right now. they don't have any really bad money (palmieri is probably the worst but that deal is moveable). adding depth at wing is the easiest thing to do in the nhl right now

all they really need is for barzal or dobson to break out and they're easily a top 5 team in the east

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

the talent deficit posted:

all they really need is for barzal or dobson to break out and they're easily a top 5 team in the east

Lol no. Isles aren’t Flyers bad , but they aren’t great.

I count 9 teams head of them, and Horvat does not make them better than even Caps or Pens. They’re prob still not better than Florida, they’re just lucky Florida hired the most losing coach in NHL history.

Could they sneak in this year or next year ? Sure, but it’s not likely and it def still doesn’t mean they’re a top 5 team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks 14-4-2 run to drive them out of the Bedard lottery begins today

e: there's only three weeks left in Feb. Are we just calling this the Jan-Apr thread now?

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 6, 2023