Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

In 'Labour are actively antagonistic to the general public' updates:

I'm genuinely not sure who Labour think they're appealing to, here. Other than political journalists and the 25 people who still read the Telegraph.
The whole point of running in opposition is that you have to give people hope or expectation that things will improve and Labour can't be bothered doing that. And we know Keith is willing to lie; so I guess lying to the rich people he's Human Caterpillaring with is the line he won't cross.

Millions of people who didn't vote at the last General Election and Keith et al are hyper-focussed on the fiction of a couple of hundred thousand floating broadsheet-reading voters somewhere 'up north, innit?'
It's stupid in a way I hadn't thought possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I think a lot of leftists seem to believe that Russia is still the USSR, rather than a gangster capitalist shithole coasting on the nostalgia of it.

It's not even that. It's more a kind of bitter tantrum that supporting Russia is somehow sticking it to the libs.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I'm as surprised as you but yeah, the hooting and hollering for the ukrainian army to do movie stalingrad with anyone who could pick up a gun is the thing that stopped me reading the war thread. I don't have a good suggestion for an alternative to the current arrangement but I'm far from happy with how many people seem to be all in on dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

The objective is not to die for ones country but to make the other bastard die for his.

While Ukraine is doing its best atm the unfortunate thing is that Putin has a lot of bodies available and is perfectly willing to expend them for military gains. :ughh:

It's not for glory, it's for Ukraine's right to exist as a people. :ukraine:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I was referring to why I stopped reading the war thread, not this one.

Though I do find the rationale uncompelling, that it is OK to stop people leaving the country because you plan to draft them, because "you" have no choice.

The would-be-draftees would have a choice if they were allowed to leave, the members of the government may not have a choice but people who could otherwise leave the country would, if they were allowed to, and I think it should be theirs to make.

OK, I missed that context, sorry.

I'm really not a fan of conscription either, but this isn't an ordinary war where at worst we'll finish with an occupied Ukraine if Russia prevails. The Russians have been quite clear that they want to eradicate Ukrainian national identity, and they're providing huge state support to the Wagner Group which was founded by veterans of the Chechen genocide. It's literally an existential crisis, and there are no good decisions here.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I think a lot of leftists seem to believe that Russia is still the USSR, rather than a gangster capitalist shithole coasting on the nostalgia of it.

Partly, but I think it's more the idea that if America Bad, then Anyone Against America Good. Let's all line up behind some vicious theocrats and open fascists and total surveillance states, they might have some unsavoury aspects but by gods they don't salute the red white and blue

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

I'm really not a fan of conscription either, but this isn't an ordinary war where at worst we'll finish with an occupied Ukraine if Russia prevails. The Russians have been quite clear that they want to eradicate Ukrainian national identity, and they're providing huge state support to the Wagner Group which was founded by veterans of the Chechen genocide. It's literally an existential crisis, and there are no good decisions here.

Which is why I think it should be up to individual people to decide if they want to fight for it. I am entirely sympathetic to people who have no sense of national identity towards the place they live or for whatever other reason would not want to fight to defend it or the other people who live in it. Most of us live in places that detest us and where appeals to the idea that we're all in it together in times of crisis, would ring extremely hollow.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 5, 2023

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

ThomasPaine posted:

A lot of nominally left-leaning brains have got so used to seeing NATO Imperialist Bullshit that they've calcified into that pattern recognition and see it in everything NATO is even peripherally involved with.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Incredible that you've walked yourself into a line where you now reluctantly agree with the right that refugees from Libya, Syria, Yemen should go home and fight for their country.

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 5, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I thought I could escape the Ukraine threads here.

Why? You're in the UKraineMT Winter war 2023: Beruskied in the Backside

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
If the UK got invaded just lol at the idea that I'd do anything but hunker down, wait for it to blow over, and try to learn the language of the invading country to assist me in not being murdered.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

People be relitigating every single point of the war forever, and the motivations of the decision makers, but the point remains Britain has for once done some good and helped prevented an invading fascist Russia from committing genocide at a national scale. The whole world has seen Russia so humiliated in being fought to a stalemate that future invasions have probably been prevented.

We've done good here, and need to keep up the pressure to force the invaders out forever.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

If the UK got invaded just lol at the idea that I'd do anything but hunker down, wait for it to blow over, and try to learn the language of the invading country to assist me in not being murdered.

If we are being invaded it's probably by the French and I will die before I learn that tongue or how to cook with herbs

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
personally I'm just selfishly glad that a russian invasion of eastern europe that went messy hasn't resulted in cans of sunshine being opened up

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Cool Skodas are cool.

I like it a lot so far, real nice

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ThomasPaine posted:

Either this or move to Ireland

The idea that the government could say "No you must defend you are country" and well-meaning people across the sea would think that was right and good is a bit scary tbh

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

DesperateDan posted:

personally I'm just selfishly glad that a russian invasion of eastern europe that went messy hasn't resulted in cans of sunshine being opened up

Recently got a Roomster and it's such a goofy looking car I love it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If the UK got invaded I'd do what I could to help out lol.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

Alchenar posted:

If we are being invaded it's probably by the French and I will die before I learn that tongue or how to cook with herbs

The real Thomas Paine went to France and became a member of the revolutionary parliament they created.
He spoke no word of french, and made speeches in the parliament in VERY LOUD ENGLISH where most didn't understand him at all.

My best guess will be Scotland leaves the union, they get a piss poor/none army to defend themselves with, and Russia surprises everyone with submarines full of soliders landing in Aberdeen, Edinburgh, and Dundee.
The Tory scum that is PM at the time will just shrug shoulders and start building a wall at the border.
Ireland and EU comes to Scotlands aid.
Ireland also wins the world cup in everything that year too. Including eurovision.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

In the UK invasion timeline Marine La Pen won the election and now there are legions of French stormtroopers marching through the chunnel, but the jokes on them because we took back control of our borders so they can’t come in!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Anyone who invades the UK is going to have a look around, go What a poo poo hole! and leave.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

Anyone who invades the UK is going to have a look around, go What a poo poo hole! and leave.

Historically they apparently take a look around, go "what a poo poo hole" and then stay for a few centuries at least.

Which explains the current occupants.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

DesperateDan posted:

Justify your SUV purchase, you monster.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I dunno, if you removed the people and most of the things they built, its quite nice.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mega Comrade posted:

I dunno, if you removed the people and most of the things they built, its quite nice.
Apart from the literal poo poo filled rivers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

Would that be hunkering down at The Winchester?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpQNw46Sl24

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
schkohda

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

DesperateDan posted:

What's it like owning a car that isn't a 20yo~ shitheap? :smith:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Bold way to say you're too cowardly to make your case somewhere where people actually know what they're talking about.

It's actually a bold way to say I have as much interest in discussing the Ukraine invasion with D&D brained liberals as I do buying a car. Which is to say none, for precisely the reason you just showed: y'all have exactly as much nuance and tolerance as the CSPAM thread, it's boring groupthink. You've just assumed I'm a Putin apologist based on :shrug:

Putin is bad. I hope Russia are able to get free of him & his lackeys because living in a kleptocracy loving sucks and the Russian people deserve better. This was my opinion 18 months ago and it will remain my opinion. I have no love for revanchist projects and Greater X projects, which is ultimately what this invasion is.

Arming neo-nazis is also bad. These positions aren't mutually exclusive. It's bad when Russian fash get armed, it's bad when Ukrainian fash get armed.

Mostly I just feel rotten for the people caught in between, be they Ukrainians who have lost their homes, their families and God knows what else or the Russians forcibly conscripted, or having to flee to neighbouring nations to avoid conscription.

Anyway, this thread is for hideously depressing British politics, not hideously depressing War in Ukraine.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

forkboy84 posted:

Mostly I just feel rotten for the people caught in between, be they Ukrainians who have lost their homes, their families and God knows what else

You feel just *terrible* for them, but not terrible *enough* to actually support stopping an ongoing genocide.

100% agreed on you avoiding the Ukraine thread if that's your best take on the situation.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

heres MY nuanced take on the situation :fart:

Crayfish
May 7, 2009
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If the UK was invaded I'd assist the foreign commanders as the resistance so that we can expel the fourth Reich.

We will reclaim these poo poo straddled lands.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mega Comrade posted:

Justify your SUV purchase, you monster.

You've seen his thread in hobbies and making things or whatever it's called?

Also incase of invasion.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

sinky posted:

What's it like owning a car that isn't a 20yo~ shitheap? :smith:

Hey now, not all 20yo poo poo heaps are total uhh.. poo poo heaps. My terrible, diesel hungry, £398pa tax, 175k miles landrover is a fine example of a 21yo poo poo heap

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rust Martialis posted:

You feel just *terrible* for them, but not terrible *enough* to actually support stopping an ongoing genocide.

100% agreed on you avoiding the Ukraine thread if that's your best take on the situation.

I can only aspire to having a rapsheet like yours, godspeed :cheersdoge:

On a different subject, one of the many odd things about the current right-wing commentariat is how they simultaneously believe that the country's better off than ever and that the lifestyles taken for granted in previous decades are now completely extravagent.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/04/britain-faces-destitution-refuses-admit-state-pension-unaffordable/

quote:

But even if we carry on with our current, more modest, increases in longevity, the existing model is unaffordable. A sharp decline in our birthrate from around 1970 means that the ratio of pensioners to workers will keep rising. The only way for the government to remain solvent is to bring its pension obligations into line with how we live now.

I am not talking only of the basic state pension. Public sector pensions, too, will need to reflect reality. On current projections, our main state agencies – in healthcare, education, policing, local government – may cease to be service providers and become pension providers. Their budgets will be swallowed up by obligations to long-retired workers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

happyhippy posted:

The real Thomas Paine went to France and became a member of the revolutionary parliament they created.
He spoke no word of french, and made speeches in the parliament in VERY LOUD ENGLISH where most didn't understand him at all.

And they sentenced him to death for it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As is appropriate for british tourists.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

You seem to be very miserable, have you considered taking a break from posting and going for a walk instead?

new thread title looking good

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

forkboy84 posted:

Mostly I just feel rotten for the people caught in between, be they Ukrainians who have lost their homes, their families and God knows what else or the Russians forcibly conscripted, or having to flee to neighbouring nations to avoid conscription.

drat if only we could give those poor people weapons to help fight the imperialist invasion.

Just too bad they're all nazis.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Love it when armchair generals come out to play spouting endless evidence in a war completely devoid of factual information.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The SuperHitlerTanskii debacle is currently very amusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Diet Crack posted:

a war completely devoid of factual information.

Sounds like its right up your street