Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hank would respect Gatsby because he’s a veteran of the Great War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

naem
May 29, 2011

Hank is “lower middle class” meaning, he owns a single family home, two reliable vehicles, spends on extras like high end lawn gear and recreational grilling equipment, hobbies, a social life, raises a family- all on 1.25 salaries.

He’s able to recognize quality living since he does his own affordable version of it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dacap posted:

The only complication to that theory was that Junichiro also looks like Hank.

cotton used to look like hank before he got old and saggy. look at that picture of bobby and hank's faces swapped posted upthread, bobby's face fits on hank's body and hank's wrinkled face fits on bobby's. it is hank and junichiro, who will look like cotton in twenty years

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Someone's going to shoot junichiro in the shins?!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The robot super warriors did it while looking for info on Dale

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I mean come on 2023 Hank is not an assistant manager, he's a "Manager" who works 70 hours a week and gets no overtime because he's salaried

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/salary-manager-jobs-fake-titles-save-4-billion-overtime-nber/#app

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
hank's paying the sticker price of life

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
https://twitter.com/VoicesByZane/status/1621221919101186048?s=20

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 4, 2023

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Testikles posted:

So do you think Hank actually likes The Great Gatsby or he just liked the patio furniture and tolerated the references to the novel?

Hank definitely never read a book between middle school and A Dinner of Onions (in 8th grade and up he was on the football team so)

Well, maybe purple turtleneck Hank from the smoking flashback would have read a Willie Nelson biography.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 4, 2023

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yeah hanks last book was a hardy boys novel in 6th grade

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Moon Monster posted:

Hank definitely never read a book between middle school and A Dinner of Onions (in 8th grade and up he was on the football team so)

Well, maybe purple turtleneck Hank from the smoking flashback would have read a Willie Nelson biography.

Didn't care for all the dope smoking references I tell you what

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't care for all the dope smoking references I tell you what

"I've followed that man from Country and Western to Country to Adult Contemporary, and that's as far as I'm going."

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

A MIRACLE posted:

hank can't really do fine metalwork so he has to buy his own patio furniture. and dammit its gonna be nice

I am UPHOLSTERING, which is one of the five original industrial arts

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So is glassmaking and we know how hank feels about that

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

*excitedly* the Gatsby Collection!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Cosmik Slop posted:

I am UPHOLSTERING, which is one of the five original industrial arts

You gonna button-tuck them folds?

littleprincecurry
Jan 30, 2023

hornet juice and rosebuds in a container of gazelle meat
yep

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Hank has certainly read many books but few novels. I can see Hank sitting down with a book on proper truck maintenance or wood working.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

He also read Highlights for kids

"This goofus fella is a jack rear end"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just watched Master of Puppets (S13, where Hank and Peggy forget to pick up Bobby on time after their date).

At one point, when they're at the arcade before the Cane Skretterberg show, a girl comes up to Bobby and says they should head bang when they play "Screeching Weasel". Is that supposed to be a song, or is Cane doing SW covers? :iiam:

But here's a weird connection: Obviously, Cane and his band were voiced by Green Day. During Green Day's tour for Insomniac in 1995, their opening act was The Riverdales.

The Riverdales was a side project of fellow punk band Screeching Weasel. There are also a bunch of promo images from around the Dookie era of Mike wearing a Screeching Weasel shirt.

Behold! ('Cane' is Tre, the one on the right)

Anyway, I thought it was a neat connection.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 5, 2023

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, that's a cool connection. Green Day and Screeching Weasel were labelmates on Lookout! Records in the early days

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

manero posted:

Yeah, that's a cool connection. Green Day and Screeching Weasel were labelmates on Lookout! Records in the early days

Yes! Thank you, that's the other connection. I originally thought they were both from Gilman St, but SW is from Illinois, not California.

Edit: one more little connection I remember thinking was neat back in the day when all I listened to was GD, SW, and similar bands.

Green Day: "Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?" (one of my favourites of theirs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAGnKrFk0HQ

Screeching Weasel: "I Wrote Holden Caulfield" (on an album that Mike Dirnt of Green Day played on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8eu6tNlpt8

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 5, 2023

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

do i need to post this again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukTMz2u1J-k

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Testikles posted:

Hank has certainly read many books but few novels. I can see Hank sitting down with a book on proper truck maintenance or wood working.

I bet he also reads and critiques a lot of instruction manuals where he notices typos, inaccurate screw sizes, inappropriate tool recommendations and poo poo like that.

"Now why on earth would I use a socket wrench on that when I've got mah' vice grips right here?"

"90 grit sandpaper? What? Why, that wouldn't give me a smooth surface to apply my varnish at all. Say, who wrote this anyway?"

He might even call the manufacturer to address these issues.

*is on hold for 25 minutes*

"Hey Hank Hill, Strickland Propane. I thought I'd like to let you know that a 3/8" bolt with 35 pounds of torque applied with an adjustable wrench is a far better way to get your set screws adjusted properly. I thought ya might like to know and maybe reprint your manual."

I'm having a hard time actually picturing him sitting down to read a real novel. Maybe Tom Clancy or Brad Thor or something like that. Perhaps Willie Nelson has an autobiography. Or Tom Landry. More likely, he has some coffee table books about the Alamo or the Dallas Cowboys that he got for Christmas and looked at once.

Hank is too busy Getting Things Done to find time to read.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 5, 2023

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Butt Joint

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I bet he also reads and critiques a lot of instruction manuals where he notices typos, inaccurate screw sizes, inappropriate tool recommendations and poo poo like that.

"Now why on earth would I use a socket wrench on that when I've got mah' vice grips right here?"

"90 grit sandpaper? What? Why, that wouldn't give me a smooth surface to apply my varnish at all. Say, who wrote this anyway?"

He might even call the manufacturer to address these issues.

*is on hold for 25 minutes*

"Hey Hank Hill, Strickland Propane. I thought I'd like to let you know that a 3/8" bolt with 35 pounds of torque applied with an adjustable wrench is a far better way to get your set screws adjusted properly. I thought ya might like to know and maybe reprint your manual."

I'm having a hard time actually picturing him sitting down to read a real novel. Maybe Tom Clancy or Brad Thor or something like that. Perhaps Willie Nelson has an autobiography. Or Tom Landry. More likely, he has some coffee table books about the Alamo or the Dallas Cowboys that he got for Christmas and looked at once.

Hank is too busy Getting Things Done to find time to read.

Very true.

I think Hank is the best example of "he doesn't read, and that's fine" I can think of.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I think that fits. The poster who said he stopped reading books is right if we mean novels. Hank probably suffered through some required reading though I imagine he loved reading pulp paperback westerns and adventure novels.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Anything about a boy with gumption should be fine

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Hank would always use the appropriate socket wrench if available instead of vice gripes or channel locks.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Hank has read all the Haynes repair manuals for all his vehicles cover to cover multiple times. He's also probably read some biographies, like Tom Landy's. He's just not a fiction kind of guy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Testikles posted:

I think that fits. The poster who said he stopped reading books is right if we mean novels. Hank probably suffered through some required reading though I imagine he loved reading pulp paperback westerns and adventure novels.

I imagine maybe Hardy Boys, too, when he was younger.

He's got the faintest hint of an edge to him. The man DID own a RJJ album, after all.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Hank doesn't read fiction because he thinks that's for women.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Star Man posted:

Hank doesn't read fiction because he thinks that's for women.

"Peggy, the Hardy Boys aren't fiction; all of that stuff could have easily happened."

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Hank in bed reading aloud: "Thank you for your purchase of the Mason 1500. The Mason 1500 combines American ingenuiety Mason's trusted craftsmanship to provide you, the American consumer, with an unparalleled mowing experience."
*shivers*
"Still gives me goosebumps, Peggy"

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Agree with the Hardy Boys

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just realized how much Peggy would love Dan Brown books

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

killer crane posted:

Hank has read all the Haynes repair manuals for all his vehicles cover to cover multiple times. He's also probably read some biographies, like Tom Landy's. He's just not a fiction kind of guy.

Hank would not consider Westerns to be fiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Nailed it. Hank reads manuals and Peggy would also make sure everyone knew she read the books before the movie came out