Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kchama posted:

Monk had the protagonist be a guy who had too many mental issues (he had a million phobias and extreme OCD) to still be a cop after his wife died (because she helped him manage them) but he was exceptional at being a detective so he ran a 'PI' business with the help of a caretaker, where he would be hired by the cops to help them whenever a crime was difficult The police chief was his old partner who was fond of him even with how frustrating he could be.

Yeah. Monk/Psych/The Mentalist/Sherlock/iZombie etc. aren't "PI Shows" as much as "extended copaganda" shows, in that they show that "the cops are trying their hardest, they just need some extra-judicial cheating from a charitable 3rd party to get the bad guy, sometimes", which is even gross in some ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Brick is a pretty good effort.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Torquemada posted:

Brick is a pretty good effort.

Speaking of Rian Johnson poker face is pretty good. Aside from the last episode where she gets chummy with an fbi agent

She’s just on the run and solving murders. Her “superpower” barely comes in to it. She’s mostly just smart and dogged.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. Monk/Psych/The Mentalist/Sherlock/iZombie etc. aren't "PI Shows" as much as "extended copaganda" shows, in that they show that "the cops are trying their hardest, they just need some extra-judicial cheating from a charitable 3rd party to get the bad guy, sometimes", which is even gross in some ways.

I’m finishing a rewatch of Psych and while it’s still a very enjoyable show, you mostly gotta ignore the copaganda and how often their investigating just involves breaking and entering to conduct illegal searches. They even have an episode midway through the series that half-rear end addresses that issue where Shawn gets caught on camera illegally searching, but it gets hand-waved after that episode an no one bothers with asking “hmm, maybe all his other arrests are equally tainted”.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Speaking of Rian Johnson poker face is pretty good. Aside from the last episode where she gets chummy with an fbi agent

She’s just on the run and solving murders. Her “superpower” barely comes in to it. She’s mostly just smart and dogged.

My wife and I are really enjoying Poker Face so far. Basically no cops actually involved, so there’s not copaganda. And you actually know exactly what happened and who the murderer is each episode, so it’s less about whodunnit and more about watching her conduct her investigation out of curiosity rather than being any police figure or PI. And so many of the side characters have great personalities and are fairly well written.

As for her getting “chummy” with the FBI, at least the FBI agent is shown to be incompetent and she shows open disdain for cops/the FBI. And she only switches to trying to get the two ladies arrested when she finds out their original crime of attempting to blow up children.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if you want a a non crime/cop(huh are all crime shows just cop shows?) mystery of the week procedural show, watch House, its about medical mysteries of the week.

Though like all murder of the week shows, the some Fed org really should just nuke whatever small town Princeton is because their rare disease stats is breaking statistics.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PhazonLink posted:

if you want a a non crime/cop(huh are all crime shows just cop shows?) mystery of the week procedural show, watch House, its about medical mysteries of the week.

Though like all murder of the week shows, the some Fed org really should just nuke whatever small town Princeton is because their rare disease stats is breaking statistics.

It's also intensely formulaic and falls apart a bit as it goes on. My advice is to stop watching as soon as it stops being fun for you.

My *favourite* thing about it is how Wilson is actually just as much of a bastard as House is, but because he's handsome and pleasant and seems functional, it's cloaked, and people don't always notice.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Toshimo posted:

I am still so incredibly pissed at what they did with iZombie. It's almost unrecognizable from the comic.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
How would you have a crime/mystery show without it also being a cop show?

Like does the person just never get arrested at the end and they get away with it every week? Like when they unmask the guy on Scooby-Doo they just bail?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Burn Notice was a crime show about criminals iirc

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HopperUK posted:

It's also intensely formulaic and falls apart a bit as it goes on. My advice is to stop watching as soon as it stops being fun for you.

My *favourite* thing about it is how Wilson is actually just as much of a bastard as House is, but because he's handsome and pleasant and seems functional, it's cloaked, and people don't always notice.

My favorite and the most obvious example is the episode where House and Wilson have a bet to see which one can keep a chicken in the hospital without it getting noticed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZFCEGVYPkI&t=313s

Serious discussion about a patient who doesn't wish to have life-saving surgery and a doctor who doesn't wish to be in the practice anymore interrupted by the oncologist's loafers being harshly pecked

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Breaking Bad/BCS are surely “crime shows” as well, though it’s harder to do a procedural that way.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
House is fascinating in that it takes a bunch of world-class actors and an extremely talented production team and uses that crew to make... well, House.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Aramek posted:

Scooby Doo. Though I guess cops are still involved in the end.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013
well, just rewatch old episodes of the rockford files. or old magnum PI, can't talk about the reboot. they are not cops, and are unconcerned with what cops do.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Linux Pirate posted:

Scooby Doo. Though I guess cops are still involved in the end.

MultiVersus having Velma's finisher move being "call the cops on LeBron James" goes a bit beyond "didn't age well" but it's also hilarious.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
You guys should check out Biker Mice from Mars. The main characters actually aren't cops. They're biker mice who happen to be from a planet called Mars. It's frigging sick and there's a lot of stuff that happens.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Rochallor posted:

House is fascinating in that it takes a bunch of world-class actors and an extremely talented production team and uses that crew to make... well, House.

i refuse to rewatch it bc im sure it did not age well, but i loved it through the s6 finale.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Street Sharks own a house. It’s bullshit false representation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

i refuse to rewatch it bc im sure it did not age well, but i loved it through the s6 finale.

Yeah House kind of dwindled into nothing but they were making quality tv commensurate with the cast and crew for a good long while.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I AM GRANDO posted:

The Street Sharks own a house. It’s bullshit false representation.

Possession is 9/10ths of the JAW

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Gargamel Gibson posted:

You guys should check out Biker Mice from Mars. The main characters actually aren't cops. They're biker mice who happen to be from a planet called Mars. It's frigging sick and there's a lot of stuff that happens.

And they fight a fish guy named after a cheese.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Did Cowyboys of Moo Mesa ever actually air anywhere? I grew up away from farmland so maybe it just didn't air in my markets

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

The main character was an ex-CIA operative trying to get back into the agency's good graces to go back to work for them, so... not really sure it's much of an improvement over cops. The dynamic of being technically outside the law while trying to avoid going too far outside was fun while it lasted, though.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Speaking of Velma, wow that reboot did an absolute speedrun on not aging well. poo poo was terrible right out of the gate. We watched the pilot, with a reaction of "uhhh..." and then, giving it a chance, watched the second. Nnnnope. I can get my misogyny, racism, body/ethnicity-shaming, and what have you from numerous other places, thanks!

poo poo aged like I just forgot it's February and didn't check the expiration on a quart of eggnog from the gas station before having a swig. Just instant :barf:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
A show about DOING CRIMES but wholesome?

My fellow posters, can I introduce you to The A-Team.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Toshimo posted:

A show about DOING CRIMES but wholesome?

My fellow posters, can I introduce you to The A-Team.

That's a show about the fear of flying and how to overcome it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Speaking of Velma, wow that reboot did an absolute speedrun on not aging well. poo poo was terrible right out of the gate. We watched the pilot, with a reaction of "uhhh..." and then, giving it a chance, watched the second. Nnnnope. I can get my misogyny, racism, body/ethnicity-shaming, and what have you from numerous other places, thanks!

poo poo aged like I just forgot it's February and didn't check the expiration on a quart of eggnog from the gas station before having a swig. Just instant :barf:

Someone described it as "a show a bunch of narcissists made wherein they wildly overestimated their intelligence, literacy, cleverness, and charisma" and that seems right.

Others pointed out that it feels like a show from 2002, not 2023, in the bad way.

And yeah Mindy Kaling as it turns out, and the people around her, are very comfortable being bigoted and lovely as hell and expect it to get either a pass or somehow court "controversy" because she's a brown lady. Like nah Mindy, you're not even worth the hand-wringing. You're just kind-of poo poo. I get a stronger reaction watching Jeff Dunham because at least there you get the impression he's trying to stealth the bigotry in instead of use it as fireworks.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Maybe it's ahead of the curve and the next 15 years will be so terrible that it actually ages extremely well.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Precambrian posted:

MultiVersus having Velma's finisher move being "call the cops on LeBron James" goes a bit beyond "didn't age well" but it's also hilarious.

They updated the game to change the cop car into the Mystery Machine.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Speak of crime shows, Justified goes to some pretty long lengths to explain that Raylan Givens is NOT a cop, he's a Marshall. He does NOT solve crimes, he only catches criminals. Except he solves heaps of crimes and shoots more criminals than he catches. The shooting actually ramps down over the course of the series as it's less and less appropriate for a TV hero to stack bodies. Great show, extremely solid dad tv.

The show wisely has him almost exclusively hunt white supremacists and other types of racist white people.

If you want a spin on the TV crime procedural, check out Hannibal. It starts out as a CSI and slowly morphs into a gay murderer romance where the two leads play cat and mouse. This has them fully abandoning the crime-of-the-week in like season 2. Larry Fishburne and Mads Mikkelsen have a knife fight at the start of a season in a flash forward, so you know they'll be at each other by the end of said season. Quality show, absolutely bonkers.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

well why not posted:

Speak of crime shows, Justified goes to some pretty long lengths to explain that Raylan Givens is NOT a cop, he's a Marshall. He does NOT solve crimes, he only catches criminals. Except he solves heaps of crimes and shoots more criminals than he catches. The shooting actually ramps down over the course of the series as it's less and less appropriate for a TV hero to stack bodies. Great show, extremely solid dad tv.

The show wisely has him almost exclusively hunt white supremacists and other types of racist white people.

If you want a spin on the TV crime procedural, check out Hannibal. It starts out as a CSI and slowly morphs into a gay murderer romance where the two leads play cat and mouse. This has them fully abandoning the crime-of-the-week in like season 2. Larry Fishburne and Mads Mikkelsen have a knife fight at the start of a season in a flash forward, so you know they'll be at each other by the end of said season. Quality show, absolutely bonkers.

There are some good parts of season 3, but if the show had gotten canceled after season 2 it would have turned the season 2 finale into one of the wildest series finales of all-time: Hannibal kills basically the entire credited cast and vanishes into the night, going, "I wish you could have loved me, Will."

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nottherealaborn posted:

I’m finishing a rewatch of Psych and while it’s still a very enjoyable show, you mostly gotta ignore the copaganda and how often their investigating just involves breaking and entering to conduct illegal searches. They even have an episode midway through the series that half-rear end addresses that issue where Shawn gets caught on camera illegally searching, but it gets hand-waved after that episode an no one bothers with asking “hmm, maybe all his other arrests are equally tainted”.

My wife and I are really enjoying Poker Face so far. Basically no cops actually involved, so there’s not copaganda. And you actually know exactly what happened and who the murderer is each episode, so it’s less about whodunnit and more about watching her conduct her investigation out of curiosity rather than being any police figure or PI. And so many of the side characters have great personalities and are fairly well written.

As for her getting “chummy” with the FBI, at least the FBI agent is shown to be incompetent and she shows open disdain for cops/the FBI. And she only switches to trying to get the two ladies arrested when she finds out their original crime of attempting to blow up children.

Yea.I don't disagree but as far as I can recall aside from emailing about the csam it's the only time she talks to law enforcement. she tells the whale, the other truckers, the wife calls the cops after she's duped, and she tells the murder podcaster. I hope the trend continues.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Rochallor posted:

There are some good parts of season 3, but if the show had gotten canceled after season 2 it would have turned the season 2 finale into one of the wildest series finales of all-time: Hannibal kills basically the entire credited cast and vanishes into the night, going, "I wish you could have loved me, Will."

that would've rocked, but I think the actual conclusion Will and Hannibal knife-fight team-up kill The Red Dragon and plummet off a cliff together, professing their love was still pretty outrageous lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Aramek posted:

Like does the person just never get arrested at the end and they get away with it every week? Like when they unmask the guy on Scooby-Doo they just bail?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir5czCiOpsk

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The problem with MSW is that, even though Jessica Fletcher always shows up the bumbling cops, they're usually portrayed as good-natured and misguided.

Meanwhile, in a hardboiled detective story, the cops are just absolute pieces of poo poo, who also bungle up everything if they even care about solving the case, as opposed to closing it in the shortest way possible.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

gimme a hardboiled detective on the rat squad show

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Someone described it as "a show a bunch of narcissists made wherein they wildly overestimated their intelligence, literacy, cleverness, and charisma" and that seems right.

Others pointed out that it feels like a show from 2002, not 2023, in the bad way.

And yeah Mindy Kaling as it turns out, and the people around her, are very comfortable being bigoted and lovely as hell and expect it to get either a pass or somehow court "controversy" because she's a brown lady. Like nah Mindy, you're not even worth the hand-wringing. You're just kind-of poo poo. I get a stronger reaction watching Jeff Dunham because at least there you get the impression he's trying to stealth the bigotry in instead of use it as fireworks.

Is there a good write up about Mindy Kaling's shittyness? I see a lot of people alluding to it on TikTok but I can't find a lot of direct facts

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

grittyreboot posted:

Is there a good write up about Mindy Kaling's shittyness? I see a lot of people alluding to it on TikTok but I can't find a lot of direct facts

I don't know anything about her personal life but I've definitely gotten that impression from everything I've ever seen her in.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

mind the walrus posted:

Did Cowyboys of Moo Mesa ever actually air anywhere? I grew up away from farmland so maybe it just didn't air in my markets

gently caress yeah, part of the Saturday morning block when I was a kid in Oregon. I remember because it somehow made such a big impression on my father, who thought the concept was hilarious, that he brought it up frequently years after it left the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Oxygen channel Dateline episodes (Secrets Uncovered and Unforgettable) are a pretty decent-sized percentage dumping on cops. They don't outright say anything, but it's clearly intended to make you hate the law enforcement of the episode. The cops are a hindrance in most of the cases, either doing shoddy initial policework, focusing on someone way more than they should (who turn out to be innocent), jailing innocent people after railroading them then cops being unapologetic about it.

I can think of at least two episodes where the episode is about how no one ever gets convicted because the cops made this unsolvable case: Murdered Montana veterinarian (oh, he just committed suicide, so y'all wipe up the blood to spare his family embarrassment) and Halloween Dakotas bar beating murder.

An episode I saw a week or two ago had the cops refuse to do anything when a rape victim was nearly choked to death and went into the office to make a report. You see, she could have inflicted those bright red handprints around her neck by herself! He totally said that she was mad because of a failed drug deal (there were no drugs, not that the cops looked for drugs). The Dateline episode was that the cops' assholery allowed the guy to commit a bunch of sexual assaults and two murders.