Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Drakyn posted:

I'm just impressed that Hagar ever conveyed actual slapstick humour in motion. Tragic to see how even the most lifeless zombie strip once was a work of enthusiasm.

Hm, maybe it'd be worth a Hagar From Zero thing if anybody has a suitable source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/2-4/50

"Pea-knuckle" threw me for a moment, and then I realized: pinochle.

Archie 6/10-12/46

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I always wanted to post Hagar from the beginning but could never be arsed to dig up a sorce. Read a ton of it as a kid, though, it was one of those strips that were marketed in book form on these shores, like Garfield and Peanuts.

NVTrainee
Jan 3, 2020
So, I'm a long time comic strip thread lurker and wanted to post my thoughts. This could be a while.

A) Wallace the Brave is great.
B) Unpopular opinion, but has Zits gotten more mediocre lately? I've been getting annoyed with the recurring jokes, but the sasquatch and van arcs kind of put me off the comic.
C) Intelligent Life is awful, and the other fantasy comic the author's doing is awful too.
D) A+J is better than I thought now that I'm older. Now all the jokes make sense!
E) Gil Thorp is way too disjointed plotwise.
F) Burning Cat News is good.
G) So glad 9CL and Working Daze aren't posted anymore.
H) Is Crankshaft just Funky Winkerbean 2.0 now? Why even end Funky Winkerbean if they were just migrating the cast?
I) Foob is more terrible now as an adult.

NVTrainee fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 6, 2023

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bruceski posted:

You ask A "What would B say if I asked them if their hallway was safe".

If B is a liar:
If hallway A is safe B would lie and say "yes", then A says "yes"
If hallway B is safe B would say "no" and A will say "no".

If B tells the truth:
If hallway A is safe B would say "no" and then A will say "yes".
If hallway B is safe B would say "yes" so A says "no"

In either case a reply from A of "yes" means hallway A is safe and "no" means B. You are guaranteed to have one and only one lie in the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLhKLfEyDQ0

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

NVTrainee posted:

H) Is Crankshaft just Funky Winkerbean 2.0 now? Why even end Funky Winkerbean if they were just migrating the cast?

Starting to look that way, isn't it? :ohdear:

Anyway, It's A Sketchy Life for February 3, 1927! And it's a salute to the newspaper comics, with a John Held Jr. wrapper.

And in case you've forgotten what that means to a fancy-schmancy late 1920s magazine doodler, it means excruciating puns, rear end-over-elbows PLOPs and physical violence! As illustrated by...um...Lynd. Whoever that is.

Albert Levering:

Towze (another name I can't place):

Two from Herb Roth:

Frederick Strothmann:

Al Frueh:

A bunch of little LJ Holton panels (at least I think that's his squiggle) that dotted this issue like measles, so I bundled them into a single page for convenience...

...except for this one, which got away until the last minute.

(That's Brodie as in Steve, by the way.)

And then there's this Ellison Hoover spread, which was supposed to be the most ludicrous thing imaginable, and not so accurate a prediction of the future that I couldn't decide which cartooning museum should get the "who's the wise guy now?" link.

Oh, and as usual, we ignored many, many words to get to the pictures.

(The one I didn't recognize.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

And in case you've forgotten what that means to a fancy-schmancy late 1920s magazine doodler, it means excruciating puns, rear end-over-elbows PLOPs and physical violence! As illustrated by...um...Lynd. Whoever that is.

The first name that came to mind was Lynd Ward, but checking his bio it looks like he was overseas studying in Germany in late 1926-mid 1927. I think it's more likely to be J. Norman Lynd; the signature looks similar, with the period following it.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 9: Boys Like Fun Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Romance has entered Lottie’s life and we are just going to have to get used to it.

The Swamp King resembles the "mermen" from Allison's Steeple

Hwurmp posted:

show us the gourds John

gourds

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Oh god I forgot Working Daze existed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

...that will do

for now

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

It's my favorite The Creeps comic hell yeah.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

Towze (another name I can't place):

I looked this up, Socony is the Standard Oil Company Of New York, later to become ExxonMobil after a few mergers. No idea what 1920s context is needed for the punchkick-line

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

soconeez nutz lmao

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

NVTrainee posted:

So, I'm a long time comic strip thread lurker and wanted to post my thoughts. This could be a while.

B) Unpopular opinion, but has Zits gotten more mediocre lately? I've been getting annoyed with the recurring jokes, but the sasquatch and van arcs kind of put me off the comic.

i've been feeling like there's way more bad strips lately than before for a while, yeah. it's still got some bangers here and there but much more few and far between

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

A bunch of little LJ Holton panels (at least I think that's his squiggle) that dotted this issue like measles, so I bundled them into a single page for convenience...

I appreciate the Solomon joke is just "this dude hosed."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

NVTrainee posted:

Your opinions are very much in line with the thread zeitgeist, so you'll find a welcoming community here if you'd like to continue commenting.

In other words: come on in, stay a while.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

Devil's Jam (Paholaisenhillo in Finnish) is a seemingly Finland-only condiment, basically jellied/pickled red peppers.
Here's a recipe: https://www.instructables.com/Devils-Jam/

quote:

For Devil's Jam you need:
1 onion
2 red peppers (red bell is bit boring, but we used that for a filler because it is cheap. Use sweet variety for improved taste)
chili (as much as you dare, we used 5 small ones and got very mild jam)
500g of crushed tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes)
1 tea spoon of salt
1 tea spoon of black pepper
2 tea spoon of oregano
3,5 dl of sugar
0,25 dl of apple vinegar
0,5 dl of water

quote:

Use Devil's Jam with cheese, meat, ice-cream, pancakes, bread... Devil's Jam goes almost with anything.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I was promised meddling but all we've been seeing is melodrama, when do we get back to the meddling?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
No Crabgrass today because they haven't put the Sunday strip up yet.

Old School Peanuts (Feb 19n 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 28-29, 1992)

Big Nate

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Willy the Djinn

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns didn't post anything on Arcamax for Sunday, so you get the tall CK version instead:

Pros: It's big and easy to read!
Cons: I hate dealing with CK. :negative:

Computoon: Origins

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I now understand what 'art' is.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 05, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Is it illegal to have sex in your own apartment in Finland?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Hippocrass posted:

Is it illegal to have sex in your own apartment in Finland?

Nah, but making a lot of noise, especially after 9-10 PM, is usually not allowed. Loud sex in badly-soundproofed apartments is a fairly classic story

E: Just last week or so there were some news articles about the culture of leaving passive-aggressive post-it notes on apartment doors/noticeboards or slipping messages via the mail slot.

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 6, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

An essential element of the puzzle is that you only get one question. If you can ask a second question, it's trivial. You ask anything with an obvious answer then which door to go through. There's no need for any kind of cleverness. Popeye's question is no better than "Are your feathers green?" or "Which direction is opposite to north?" or "How many fingers am I holding up?"

Cowslips Warren posted:

And I do like how the standard D&D player does:

Barbarian beats one guard to death. Asks the other if that guard is dead. Now we know who the liar is.
Sure, you know which one is the liar. But that's not what you're trying to find out. You need to know which door to go through and you just wasted your one question.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

EasyEW posted:

Herb Roth:

So, from left to right, top to bottom: Barney Google, Sluggo from Nancy in the hat. Flip from Little Nemo talking to a kid in a tie and an ostrich, neither of whom I recognize.
Nize Baby being carried, Oh Poppa throwing away a revolver, someone I don't know with a shotgun. Well, not sure about any of them.
I'm not confident IDing either of the wives with rolling pins.
Katzenjammer Kids, a very off-model Ignatz from Krazy Kat, and two guys I don't recognize.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Happy Hooligan top left patting the donkey.

Maggie and Jiggs from Bringing Up Father right of the rolling pins.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Going back a few days to respond to this, but this schtick about teachers being failures who couldn't succeed at anything else can go right into the garbage can where it belongs, thanks. I wouldn't be so bothered if it was Nate saying it, but his friend seems usually to be characterised as more sensible.

Weembles posted:

Did we already pass the storyline that explains why everyone in camelot wears an image of a pterodactyl on their chest?

It does look like that! But I assume it's meant to be a dragon for Arthur's crest.

EasyEW posted:

Starting to look that way, isn't it? :ohdear:

Anyway, It's A Sketchy Life for February 3, 1927! And it's a salute to the newspaper comics, with a John Held Jr. wrapper.

[etc]

Thanks for posting Life, I really enjoy it, and for obvious reasons, this one in particular.

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 21, 1955)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

So, from left to right, top to bottom: Barney Google, Sluggo from Nancy in the hat. Flip from Little Nemo talking to a kid in a tie and an ostrich, neither of whom I recognize.
Nize Baby being carried, Oh Poppa throwing away a revolver, someone I don't know with a shotgun. Well, not sure about any of them.
I'm not confident IDing either of the wives with rolling pins.
Katzenjammer Kids, a very off-model Ignatz from Krazy Kat, and two guys I don't recognize.

Boob McNutt in the patterned pants and little hat in the lower right corner.

Pizzaroni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/5/03

Brenda Starr 5/8-10/50

Next: Brenda acquires an eating disorder! Or not.

Smokey Stover 10/12/52

Everyday Movies 1/28/36

"What's the big idea, Mopey? Who's coming here today?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/7-9/40

Fire up those dueling banjos and pass the moonshine jug, 'cause Scarlet is going among the hillbillies!

NVTrainee
Jan 3, 2020
So, what's the thread consensus on Prince Valiant lately? I remember many threads ago that it was more negative, but it could've been different people talking about it opposed to now. Compared to other comic strips, the art is gorgeous and I love the weekly story updates.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

NVTrainee posted:

So, what's the thread consensus on Prince Valiant lately? I remember many threads ago that it was more negative, but it could've been different people talking about it opposed to now. Compared to other comic strips, the art is gorgeous and I love the weekly story updates.

We're all in favour. Mostly because the strip has been posted from the beginning, and it had a really strong start which tailed off as the decades rolled on.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

NVTrainee posted:

It's a bit old-fashioned, but on the whole it's good, and the art is astounding.

NVTrainee
Jan 3, 2020

Mr. Squishy posted:

We're all in favour. Mostly because the strip has been posted from the beginning, and it had a really strong start which tailed off as the decades rolled on.

So roughly, when does it start to decline?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

(yuck, imgur was so zoomed in, forcibly, that it looked like it was designed for a 800x600 non-flat monitor)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

NVTrainee posted:

So roughly, when does it start to decline?

When newspapers started shrinking it. John Cullen Murphy wasn’t Hal Foster but he was still drat good. The problem was trying to make something with that format in a much smaller space.