Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The PSP Go should've been better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So, how do the Android-based consoles wotk with native Android games? Like could I install Delta Touch and play DOOM wads using the controls? Is it game-dependent or something Android-wide?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's game dependant, not all Android games have controller support. Most of the Android handhelds though have a key-mapping function where you can assign the controls to on-screen touch points to get around that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If Sony wasn't so devoted media format supremacy their handhelds would have been siiiick. The PSP handheld profile is iconic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, how do the Android-based consoles wotk with native Android games? Like could I install Delta Touch and play DOOM wads using the controls? Is it game-dependent or something Android-wide?

You're dependent on the Android dev implementing gamepad controls, but that's it. You can use touchscreen mappers if they don't but those probably suck rear end. I have Delta Touch + Doom wads installed on my RP2+.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Did Sony release any cool hardware when they had a British guy as their CEO?

Anybody remember Rolli the dancing mp3 player.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Did Sony release any cool hardware when they had a British guy as their CEO?

The Playstation Vita. Also the PS3 Super Slim.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Tiny Timbs posted:

You're dependent on the Android dev implementing gamepad controls, but that's it. You can use touchscreen mappers if they don't but those probably suck rear end. I have Delta Touch + Doom wads installed on my RP2+.

Awesome, Doom was pretty much what made me think of it.

... Does it work on Vampire Survivors :getin:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

njsykora posted:

The Playstation Vita. Also the PS3 Super Slim.

Vita is what I would present as exhibit A for "lame Sony hardware". Super Slim released half year after the British glasses guy stepped down, haha.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

Awesome, Doom was pretty much what made me think of it.

... Does it work on Vampire Survivors :getin:

Yep. Even has options to switch between portrait and landscape modes.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

stephenthinkpad posted:

Vita is what I would present as exhibit A for "lame Sony hardware". Super Slim released half year after the British glasses guy stepped down, haha.

I like the weight. The Vita is peak ergonomics for me personally. The PSP feels more like a toy in comparison. The Vita feels and acts like a machine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The back touchpad instead of L2/R2 buttons was such a critical failure that I just cannot bear to be positive about anything else with the Vita

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tiny Timbs posted:

I just cannot bear to be positive about anything else with the Vita

The dpad?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Vita is what I would present as exhibit A for "lame Sony hardware"

Mods threadban pls.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vita means life

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Vita is what I would present as exhibit A for "lame Sony hardware".

your rear end is toast

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If the ds lite didn't exist, the psp go would be the best handheld of all time

imo

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I bought a Vita early in launch and sadly didn't spend enough time with it. I really liked the hardware but there just wasn't enough to do with it.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
A sapphire vita is the most beautiful piece of hardware I've ever owned. Sold it right after beating persona 4

I think if it had the original PSP's shoulder buttons it'd be actually perfect

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

flavor.flv posted:

If the ds lite didn't exist, the psp go would be the best handheld of all time

imo

if you're arguing on the basis of hardware and form factor it probably still would be a psp, there's a reason there was exactly one company doing dualscreen portables for the better part of two decades and even they said gently caress it nevermind and threw the towel in eventually

ds lite's claim to fame is the library alone, there's probably more people working on alternative OSes with Leapsters than people wanting to try and fiddle with the internals of an already pretty compact portable with two tiny screens and most of the ds lite overhauls I've seen are literally repurposing the bottom half for a gussied up GBA.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Vita means life.

vv; mods ban this sick filth while i enjoy BORDERLANDS 2 for my PLAYSTATIONVITA

Bogart fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 6, 2023

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Bogart posted:

Vita means life.

the one thing its library didn't have

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If the PSP Go had expandable storage it would be the best PSP. Alas…

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It did though, Memstick Micro. Only went up to 16GB (I think? I don't remember seeing any 32GBs) but I guess the Pro Duo on the other models was only up to 32GB.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Didn’t it have an M2 slot? Admittedly even more of a pain to get hold of than an MS Pro Duo but it’s still there.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I think I'd enjoy a ps vita a lot but I can't justify buying one when I have a bunch of crap that plays a lot.of games already

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

uiruki posted:

Didn’t it have an M2 slot? Admittedly even more of a pain to get hold of than an MS Pro Duo but it’s still there.

I think the joke was that the PSPGo amounted to have no expanded storage in the practical sense, since those things were impossible to find, especially at anything resembling normal pricing.

At least the standard PSP had SD card adapters made for it.

Marx Headroom posted:

I like the weight. The Vita is peak ergonomics for me personally. The PSP feels more like a toy in comparison. The Vita feels and acts like a machine.

:yeah: I got a PSP3000 in 2009, and the first Vita in 2013. It was night and day as soon as I handled the Vita. I could actually play Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX on it, for one thing.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 6, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

uiruki posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure nearly everything that had a "weird" memory card between 2005-2017 has a "that weird format plus microsd card" adaptor that you can find, or a microsd card reader that you can solder in directly, or both

there's still probably an upper limit of addressable space if you're using vanilla firmware but I'm pretty sure most of those weird memory formats were banking on odd physical form factor and convenience of "just buying the right size card" to keep people in the ecosystem

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I’m almost certain the m2 cards were slightly smaller but thicker than a microsd card. I suspect to get a pspgo to take a microsd you’d have to mod the whole console, if it’s even possible.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I hacked my Vita this weekend and would just like to confirm that Vita means life.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Bogart posted:

vv; mods ban this sick filth while i enjoy BORDERLANDS 2 for my PLAYSTATIONVITA

Protip you can get this marvel of human engineering to 30 FPS* by using a plugin to drop the resolution to 480p and turning off gore splatter in the game settings!!!!!

*does not apply to Sanctuary, pax vobis et cum spiritu tuo

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

It did though, Memstick Micro. Only went up to 16GB (I think? I don't remember seeing any 32GBs) but I guess the Pro Duo on the other models was only up to 32GB.
I have no idea about the Go, but by 2009 you could buy a PhotoFast CR-5400 that took two microSD cards and supported up to 16 GB (2x8 GB microSD) for way cheaper than basically any Pro Duo card.

Subsequently the PhotoFast adapter was cloned and updated to support significantly larger cards, though the build quality of the clones were/are crap and there was good chance the case would crack open upon inserting two cards. These days I have a 256 GB in a (even more) generic 1x microSD to Pro Duo adapter which works fine on regular PSP models. I don't know if folks have had success with 400 or 512 GB cards but that's way more than I needed anyways.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok I take it back I did play through Persona 4 Golden on my Vita so Sony did give me one of the best gaming experiences of my life

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vegastar posted:

I’m almost certain the m2 cards were slightly smaller but thicker than a microsd card. I suspect to get a pspgo to take a microsd you’d have to mod the whole console, if it’s even possible.

Poking around, it seems like a fairly recently available adapter can be crammed inside the housing with just a screwdriver and some kapton tape but I don't have one to verify, so

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I’m trying to play advance wars dual strike on an RP3+ with retroarch and whatever versions of melonds/dsemu it has automatically downloaded, and it’s getting like 20fps. Is this a bad emulator/version problem or is the hardware just too weak to run ds games?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Probably the former - get an updated APK for DraStic and/or Melon. The latter has an RA core but it has pretty bad performance for most things.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
look at this purty thing.
https://twitter.com/natalie_thenerd/status/1622881356501090304?s=20&t=Gzz3ur4pjRgzodcZFnOlug

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Looking forward to the Miyoo Mini+, hopefully it isn't impossible to get.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Retroid are selling their own RP3/+ grip and also hall sensor sticks, which you could do before because they're using a standard connector (is it the exact same as the joycon one?) but I guess if you're getting everything in one place that's nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I kept up with this thread years ago but lost track: I bought a Retroid Pocket 2 back when they were preorder and rarely used it due to input lag. I'm seeing the 3 and 3+ ads. Is this still inherent in the Android setup or is it better? I like the d-pad location on top instead of bottom that was a complaint about he 2 it had awkward grip when using it. The same style stick on both sides seems like a big improvement. Opposite corners and one raised felt weird. I really like the design and would love a portable handheld and I want to like the 2.

Anyone have experience with input lag with 3 or 3+? It made some simple platforming take trial and error when to press instead of what feels natural from playing on console. Castlevania IV has those green platforms that spin and drop you after you jump on them and the section with three of those over a pit took a while to know when to press to just get past that part.