Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
My third grade son is really struggling in math. He struggles to understand even basic concepts for that grade level.

He has severe ADHD so its already hard to keep hkm focused, plus he has such anxiety and negativity towards his math homework that he ends up in tears at the end of it no matter what we do. My wife is even a math teacher for special ed kids and she cant even get him to budge.

Has anyone else been in the same situation? How can i help him better at home and not have it be such a frustrating and negative experience for him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Third grade is when I got on Ritalin for the first time, and it made such a huge difference for my ADHD. Still not great at math, but that's more an innate talent in other directions.

Not saying that the best or only option, but it made the world to me - apparently I turned in a 3 page story the week I got on it, making my teacher cry because I finally could focus and prove that I was smart instead of just absentminded.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

What's he interested in?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Koivunen posted:

Why do I feel so overwhelmed by this child support thing? I cried at work, which is not like me at all, and I felt like I’m on the verge of tears all day. I fortunately had time to go back through 2022 and print three different ways of proving my total hours worked and gross/net pay. Tomorrow I will be writing up counterpoints to the magistrate’s order, then bringing all this stuff to my attorney, in the 20 minutes I have between clocking out from work and picking up the kids.

Icing on the cake… the kid’s dad, after having the same work position for like 4 years, and having fought over visitation time, which ultimately had him take the kids every other weekend and Sunday nights….. He texts me this afternoon that he wants to change his days off to Friday and Saturday, thus abandoning his every Sunday obligation, and messing up the every other weekend thing.

It’s court ordered that he needs to take the kids every other weekend and every Sunday night. I do all my off shifts and most of my second job shifts off Sundays. So…. No? Do I tell him he needs to go to court to change it?

I can’t handle all this all at once, but compared to other things this is only a medium sized hurdle. But I am handling it, because I have to. It’s just unusually emotionally difficult.

I don't want to add to your stress, but you should contact your lawyer right away. Don't wait until you've gathered everything you think you may need. Send them a simple email now telling them what happened and when (dates may be important). Get that ball rolling ASAP.

I don't know anything about child support orders, but many court systems have a very limited window to vacate orders for error or the like.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

How does my daughter, who is 2 and a half, take such massive dumps

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We were having lunch with a friend and his daughter. When our daughter quite loudly says I have to poop. The guy at the bar died laughing. Also, apparently at 4 girls want to go to the bathroom together. So both dads are standing there bsing while the go.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Sorry about the antibiotic shortage everyone, one of the twins is probably the cause. Flu A and a double ear infection right before Christmas, strep mid-January, and now another double ear infection. At least urgent care was pretty much in and out, dr took one look and was all “yep let’s get that scrip typed up.”

You know this one is sick when he starts to lose his poo poo, he’s normally the calmest of the three kids.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

dismas posted:

Right? They’re legitimately adult-sized. Or bigger.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kiddo: "What's that called?"

Me: "This is a ~blank~."

Kiddo: "Thats's my ~blank~."

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Parenting hive mind, anyone got any experience with growing pains in toddlers?

The 20 month old has woken up every night for the last week after 2-3 hours sleep, screaming, arching her back and kicking her legs, grabbing at her nappy and then settling, repeat on and off for a few hours and then she settles back down for a relatively good night sleep. During the day she's absolutely fine, running around happy, eating fine. Growing pains is literally the only thing that seems to match what we're experiencing and I really have no idea what to do.

We've been to the doctor to check for infection, UTIs, anything untoward and she is healthy.

If this is one of those things you have to ride out, god I hope it passes soon.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just grasping at straws maybe dose them with whatever remaining mylicon you have floating around 30 min before bed one night just to rule out gas

Ours randomly wakes up in the middle of the night a couple nights in a row once a month. It's really hard to nail down what's causing it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Every now and then my son will wake up inconsolable and then just pees a gallon and falls back asleep

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Just grasping at straws maybe dose them with whatever remaining mylicon you have floating around 30 min before bed one night just to rule out gas

Ours randomly wakes up in the middle of the night a couple nights in a row once a month. It's really hard to nail down what's causing it

That's not a bad shout, will find the infacol! It's so loving hard when they can't communicate

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Absolutely lost my poo poo this weekend when I went into the playroom this weekend to see what my 2 year old daughter was up to, and I was promptly told "Dad, this is my WORK. GET OUT OF MY OFFICE!"

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Dirty Needles posted:

Been there, it's not fun. Advil/Tylenol basically. Not much else to do.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

External Organs posted:

Absolutely lost my poo poo this weekend when I went into the playroom this weekend to see what my 2 year old daughter was up to, and I was promptly told "Dad, this is my WORK. GET OUT OF MY OFFICE!"

Our daughter (4) keeps talking about going to work. She'll pick up some bags and walk around. I keep asking her when she's going to earn her keep and help pay the mortgage.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My toddler had a rough week or so adjusting to my new work schedule. But this morning at my new leaving time, I went to say bye to him, he just pointed to the door and said "out" so I guess we're adjusted

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Heard back from my attorney about the child support thing, and it’s not good news. Long story short, between laws about overtime/incentive pay and their tax influences on the difference between gross/net income, as well as new child support laws that went into effect in January 1st that favor the lower income parent (their dad), they advised against trying to get a new court hearing because the outcome likely wouldn’t be different.

So I’m stuck with their dad only having to pay for what equals less than a week of daycare costs every month.

I tried to do things the right way over these last two years with the divorce and lawyers and childcare, but I feel like I got massively screwed. Meanwhile their dad gets to gently caress off, sleep around, only see the kids a few times a month, all while getting awarded a huge sum of money and essentially not having to financially support them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ugh that sucks so much. Sorry to hear all that.

I dont even have any helpful advice, aside from looking into some home centers in the area. They seem to be a bit cheaper than the daycare centers but neither one is cheap.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

rebound covid with only 3 days to a long-planned family trip. fml

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

External Organs posted:

Absolutely lost my poo poo this weekend when I went into the playroom this weekend

The twin that is a carbon copy of me and his older sister are too alike in personality and they get under each other’s skin and bicker…a lot. He knows exactly how to push her buttons and she isn’t old/mature enough not to let him.

Yesterday they were both in the third row, bickering away, so I turned around from the passenger seat to get them to knock it off because we were only five minutes away from home. As I’m getting into them in an appropriate way, I ask them to just stop talking and zip it until we get home.

The other twin in the second row has a look in his eye, catches mine, and goes “……how about some tape?”

Don’t tempt me buddy, don’t tempt me.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

He will be sad when his kids don't bond much with him and don't want to spend time around him when they are older.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Dirty Needles posted:

The 20 month old has woken up every night for the last week after 2-3 hours sleep, screaming, arching her back and kicking her legs, grabbing at her nappy and then settling, repeat on and off for a few hours and then she settles back down for a relatively good night sleep. During the day she's absolutely fine, running around happy, eating fine. Growing pains is literally the only thing that seems to match what we're experiencing and I really have no idea what to do.

We've been to the doctor to check for infection, UTIs, anything untoward and she is healthy.

Did the doctor mention pinworms/thread worms as being a possibility? We had to deal with this the other week - symptoms were exactly the same. The worms crawl out a few hours after the kid goes to sleep so RIP nights 😭

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
My partner’s four year old has a new thing like every week now, and this last weekend was…threats of violence??? In between moments of being very sweet, he was repeating things like “I’m gonna kick you in dah BUTT!” And “I wanna slap you in the FACE!” Like over and over and over. Also a big highlight of “I wanna spray [my name] with pee!” After he went to the potty (which has been going shockingly well, btw. So yay for that.)

We did our best to reinforce that no, these are not things that will be happening. But with the struggle of not like….giving him too much ~*attention*~ at the same time.

Honestly, I do have some real questions about what his other parent is letting him watch. But that’s very much not my place, so the best I can do is back up his father in reinforcing positive behavior. It doesn’t seem like he’s actively trying to be mean, but is parroting or testing boundaries or SOMETHING.

Anyway, what’s the best way to reinforce to a small child that hurting other people is not actually funny and is not a thing you should do?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

CherryCola posted:

Also a big highlight of “I wanna spray [my name] with pee!” After he went to the potty (which has been going shockingly well, btw. So yay for that.)

We did our best to reinforce that no, these are not things that will be happening. But with the struggle of not like….giving him too much ~*attention*~ at the same time.

Honestly, I do have some real questions about what his other parent is letting him watch. But that’s very much not my place, so the best I can do is back up his father in reinforcing positive behavior. It doesn’t seem like he’s actively trying to be mean, but is parroting or testing boundaries or SOMETHING.

Anyway, what’s the best way to reinforce to a small child that hurting other people is not actually funny and is not a thing you should do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eafRE74JGZ8

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

dismas posted:

Mine gas always clogged the toilet. I didn't think it was physically possible for a child to take a dump thst huge.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Koivunen posted:

Heard back from my attorney about the child support thing, and it’s not good news. Long story short, between laws about overtime/incentive pay and their tax influences on the difference between gross/net income, as well as new child support laws that went into effect in January 1st that favor the lower income parent (their dad), they advised against trying to get a new court hearing because the outcome likely wouldn’t be different.

So I’m stuck with their dad only having to pay for what equals less than a week of daycare costs every month.

I tried to do things the right way over these last two years with the divorce and lawyers and childcare, but I feel like I got massively screwed. Meanwhile their dad gets to gently caress off, sleep around, only see the kids a few times a month, all while getting awarded a huge sum of money and essentially not having to financially support them.

I'm still baffled that he gets child support while also not having the kids most of the time.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I think he's paying child support, although very minimally.

He got a huge sum of money as the result of the divorce and asset splitting is how I understand it.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

Jumpsuit posted:

Did the doctor mention pinworms/thread worms as being a possibility? We had to deal with this the other week - symptoms were exactly the same. The worms crawl out a few hours after the kid goes to sleep so RIP nights 😭

They did actually but how the gently caress do you check for them? Do I have to sift through poop?!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dirty Needles posted:

They did actually but how the gently caress do you check for them? Do I have to sift through poop?!

There's a test they can do at the doctor's office.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Why does the dumpster truck always come at naptime, even if naptime is different

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

My third grade son is really struggling in math. He struggles to understand even basic concepts for that grade level.

He has severe ADHD so its already hard to keep hkm focused, plus he has such anxiety and negativity towards his math homework that he ends up in tears at the end of it no matter what we do. My wife is even a math teacher for special ed kids and she cant even get him to budge.

Has anyone else been in the same situation? How can i help him better at home and not have it be such a frustrating and negative experience for him?

Beyond addressing the ADHD itself we've had good results with the Prodigy math game. It's basically Pokemon with math. YMMV but it's gotten us over some humps.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Toilet Tuesday: Stayed dry all night. Sat on potty for 10 minutes this morning with no result. Immediately pissed all over both of us when I picked her up to put her shoes on.

Also, Koivunen, I hate all of that for you. We are all pulling for you.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

CherryCola posted:

My partner’s four year old has a new thing like every week now, and this last weekend was…threats of violence??? In between moments of being very sweet, he was repeating things like “I’m gonna kick you in dah BUTT!” And “I wanna slap you in the FACE!” Like over and over and over. Also a big highlight of “I wanna spray [my name] with pee!” After he went to the potty (which has been going shockingly well, btw. So yay for that.)

My son is only 2, so someone please correct me if there is a better way to handle a 4 year old, but when my son hits/slaps/bites he gets one warning and then a timeout for 2 minutes. We then explain why he was placed in timeout.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

remigious posted:

My son is only 2, so someone please correct me if there is a better way to handle a 4 year old, but when my son hits/slaps/bites he gets one warning and then a timeout for 2 minutes. We then explain why he was placed in timeout.

Luckily, this kid hasn't been really following through, but just keeps announcing the thing he wants to do. When he DOES actually do something, he responds pretty well to being told to stop, even when he initially shouts NO! sometimes. I haven't seen his dad really do the timeout thing, but he does tell him when something he's done is wrong and tells him to apologize while making sure he knows what he's apologizing for (like the time he thought it would be funny to put a cat toy in my coffee).

He's really such a sweet kid, though. We took him to the playground and he wanted me to yell "THREE TWO ONE, RUN FAST LIKE SONIC" so he could run laps :3

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

sheri posted:

I think he's paying child support, although very minimally.

lol I bet you he won't even pay it anyway

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Dirty Needles posted:

The quickest way is to get your kid to bend over so you can get a close look at their anus (at night, when the kid has been woken up by discomfort), and if they have worms you're likely to see them. Tiny, white, thin wriggly things. I think you can also stick a piece of sticky tape over their butthole and inspect it in the morning but I'm always dubious about whether it would actually stay there overnight.

I would probably recommend just taking the worm tablets if you suspect it at all. If it's a full infestation it might take a while to clear up. Treat everyone in the house too.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Fyi the test for pinworms is literally putting a piece of scotch tape on their b-hole and looking for eggs or worms glad I can share this knowledge

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The local school of the arts did a dance show for my daughter's kindergarten class and she spent the whole evening working on dance routines and self-portraits so she'd be ready to try out. In six years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

BadSamaritan posted:

Fyi the test for pinworms is literally putting a piece of scotch tape on their b-hole and looking for eggs or worms glad I can share this knowledge

For dogs or children? Not sure if it requires a distinction anyway