Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

They did give us Skyward Sword, they're no strangers to offering consolation prizes that nobody actually asked for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Link Between Worlds HD

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mahoning posted:

Link Between Worlds HD

:hmmyes:

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
I’m just starting BOTW. How do I get a warm coat… this is win

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Just make link rub his arms together to stay warm.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

"Hello! I'm Eiji Aonuma. We hope you enjoyed this Direct! I'm sure many of you were expecting news about The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. Unfortunately...here is the sequel to Super Mario Run, Super Wario Run"

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The only thing that would appease me if TotK got delayed would be the announcement of a Waluigi solo game. In fact I might prefer it!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Hello, I'm Eiji Aonuma. I have defeated Shigeru Miyamoto in hand to hand combat. It is now pronounce 'merry-o' and also Zelda is canceled forever."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cojawfee posted:

It is now pronounce 'merry-o'

*unsheaths katana*

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

nom epique posted:

Just carry a torch around jeez

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seriously just look at the little temperature meter on the screen in different situations and do stuff that makes it warmer while you’re in the cold place. Any way you figure out yourself is gonna be more fun.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

There's a cabin in part of the woods. I missed that my first time through.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

brap posted:

Seriously just look at the little temperature meter on the screen in different situations and do stuff that makes it warmer while you’re in the cold place. Any way you figure out yourself is gonna be more fun.

This. The whole point of BOTW is figuring out how to do it in whatever way you can think of.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I suggest you either go towards warm things, or bring warm things with you.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

sigher posted:

How is this game out in three months and there's been nothing but radio silence for what seems like an eternity?

We didn't know that Metroid Dread even existed* less than four months from its release.

* Yes I know of the old articles for back when it was going to be on DS or whatever, I'm talking about the version we got.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Metroid Dread is maybe the most pleasant surprise in videogame history.

Nintendo: "There's a new 2D Metroid game coming out! Also it's only a few months away! Also it's the best one."

(Not an invitation to argue about which Metroid is best but yes I do think Dread is up there with Super.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There had been talk of a Metroid Prime 4 for a while though, and it's unclear how that is doing.

YggiDee posted:

I suggest you either go towards warm things, or bring warm things with you.

The sun is warm.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

New bomb launch to the sun strat just dropped.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Link is honing in on Pitt's territory

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

MokBa posted:

Link is honing in on Pitt's territory

Man, we really could use another Kid Icarus game

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SlothfulCobra posted:

There had been talk of a Metroid Prime 4 for a while though, and it's unclear how that is doing.

Well, we know that it was taken away from Bandai Namco and completely restarted under Retro, and Retro did some heavy staffing-up three years ago. So we could presumably hear about it in an upcoming Direct.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

MokBa posted:

Metroid Dread is maybe the most pleasant surprise in videogame history.

Nintendo: "There's a new 2D Metroid game coming out! Also it's only a few months away! Also it's the best one."

(Not an invitation to argue about which Metroid is best but yes I do think Dread is up there with Super.)

It was way better than I originally though it would be. I completely lost interest when all they showed were the EMMIs but then got hyped as hell when they showed the story trailer. Then, yes, it came out and it was nearly as good as Super. (Super will always be #1 in my 10 year-old heart)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Is this what it's like for people who play Zelda who didn't start with OoT?

Cuz I took a run through the Metroid games a few years ago in release order, having never played them before- starting with Super, and I found Super to be the weakest of the 2D Metroids. Still a super good game, mind, but every other 2D Metroid released after it improved upon it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Super Metroid uses very subtle means to guide the player and create the illusion that you're discovering things on your own. The cleverness that makes it a masterpiece becomes more apparent through replays and close examination. Those classic techniques are out of favor in modern game design, in which it's preferred to use very explicit means to draw the player's attention to the way the game works and its overall structure.

Zero Mission, for instance, has excellent thumbfeel, but even in just the decade between it and Super Metroid, there's a noticeable shift in how the presence of alternate paths through the game world are communicated to the player.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Super has a bit of a funky default joypad config, but my extremely biased brain doesn’t know how you play it and don’t see it as near perfection. The mechanics, the physics, the story and way it’s told, the art, the absolutely perfect soundtrack. I like all the other 2D games that came out after, and AM2R, but something about Super just feels special to me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Man, we really could use another Kid Icarus game

I’ll settle for a rerelease of Uprising with a sane control scheme

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Super has the best world design of any 2D Metroid IMO. It's a real feat of art and design that it manages to guide you through the game without ever explicitly telling you where to go. There's a reason the term Metroidvania exists and imo no one has really pulled it off with the same level of subtlety that Super Metroid did.

But from Fusion onward the one thing they consistently improve upon is Samus' movement within the world. And it's just so loving satisfying to move from room to room in Dread. I played through the game three times in the first month it was out because it was just so dang fun!

To bring it back around, I do think the best Zelda dungeons are mini-Metroidvanias, where you unlock more and more of the dungeon until you can freely move through it all and beat the final boss. Of course I don't like too much backtracking in my Zelda dungeons but when it's done right it's masterful.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

nom epique posted:

Cook a tasty meal, that is all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

A tasty meal is like a coat for your insides

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Silver Falcon posted:

I went from LOZ > LA > OoT. I was born in the late 80s so when I started playing video games, there were only 2 Zelda games.

Silver Falcon posted:

Cuz I took a run through the Metroid games a few years ago in release order, having never played them before- starting with Super, and I found Super to be the weakest of the 2D Metroids. Still a super good game, mind, but every other 2D Metroid released after it improved upon it.

Are you putting Metroid 1 above Super?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The version of Metroid 1 that's on GBA is pretty great.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

sigher posted:

I went from LOZ > LA > OoT. I was born in the late 80s so when I started playing video games, there were only 2 Zelda games.

Are you putting Metroid 1 above Super?

No. I haven't touched Metroid 1 or 2. That's why I said I started with Super.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

sigher posted:

How is this game out in three months and there's been nothing but radio silence for what seems like an eternity?

They are going to just release it and not give out review copies. You hate to see it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

For most of my childhood, it was my sister who got more into Zelda games than I did. I played Link's Awakening, but my sister got way further than me. When we rented Ocarina of Time, I couldn't figure out what was going on. We had Majora's Mask, and I was too much of a baby child scared of the apocalypse to make much progress. I really loved Wind Waker and made actual progress in it, but I think the disk getting scratched stood in the way of finishing (I might've managed to finally finish at some point later, but Dragonroost refusing to load was really disheartening).

Twilight Princess was the first Zelda I played on my own apart from my sister, and it was the first one I finally managed to play all the way through, and it was great. Loved it. Then Skyward Sword came along, and I kinda never got anywhere with that and my sister back from college did more with it.

Silver Falcon posted:

Silver Falcon posted:

No. I haven't touched Metroid 1 or 2. That's why I said I started with Super.

Zero is a remake of 1, Returns is a remake of 2. There's only really been 2 new 2D Metroids after Super unless you count like spinball. It's kind of a weird series.

I feel like Super Metroid is maybe the SNES games that holds up the most in the modern day without any remakes or improvements necessary, but there's still a couple of janky bits (I hate shinesparking and I'm no good at walljumps).

I think it's also still towards the top so far as nonlinearity goes. I never played the first Metroid either (it has a LOT more jank although it may be more freeform) but Zero Mission really tries to lead you by the nose. Metroid Fusion also had an annoying linearity, and it cuts you off from backtracking to get upgrades at the end. And probably one of the best things about Super Metroid is how it does so much with no dialogue, which I started to get pretty annoyed in Dread at the long infodumps.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Silver Falcon posted:

idk i didn't play super until years after I'd already played Fusion and Zero Mission and I do love those games (plus Dread) and there are things I prefer about them, but Super Metroid is just really engrossing in a special way.

I'd honestly consider Samus Returns among the lowest of the 2D games. the combat and level design weren't really all there, and the game didn't really capture the atmosphere of Metroid 2 in a good way. It honestly made me a bit pessimistic about the future of 2D Metroid at the time but luckily Dread was a huge leap forward from it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SR has a lot of issues but they struck me as first-swing issues so I was immediately hoping for something like Dread to let them refine things, though they definitely exceeded my expectations still. Great feeling game.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's also still towards the top so far as nonlinearity goes. I never played the first Metroid either (it has a LOT more jank although it may be more freeform) but Zero Mission really tries to lead you by the nose.
SM has a well defined critical path. What makes it special is that it keeps you on rails without you actually knowing that. Although it commits the sin of placing a save room at bottom of Tourian after the point of no return.

OG Metroid is straight-up nonlinear. Once you get the bombs you can go after either Kraid or Ridley, and a handful of Samus's powerups are optional.

As you said, ZM makes it more obvious that you're on rails, but it also has some opportunities for sequence breaking that just require you to pay attention and explore a bit on your own. As much as Dread is also on rails, I appreciate they also built similar opportunities into that game too.

Fusion is something of a different beast. Yes it's linear to a fault, but it enables the environment to evolve in ways that they couldn't do if it was less linear. The environmental changes to Sector 2 in particular were pretty cool for the time.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Yeah I didn’t care for SR much at all. It didn’t help that I was never comfortable with the 3DS’s thumb pad so playing it left my thumb sore. I loved Mecca Prime’s LP of Metroid 2 back in the day and was hoping to experience a version of it. There’s a lot positive I can say about it but ultimately it wasn’t for me. So when Dread was first announced I was like “well okaaaaay I mean it looks good and all….” And then I got it anyway and was totally blown away. Every single issue I had with Samus Returns was absent and it was just a great loving game. Definitely my personal favorite 2D Metroid. And I think that Super, Fusion, and Zero Mission are all fantastic in their own ways.

Reminds me of when Link Between Worlds came out and was just so drat clever and fun with its inversion of the classic Zelda formula. I’d really love Nintendo to continue making top down Zelda games as well, especially since BotW is a completely different kind of game than those. I’d loooove it if we got the Oracle games in the same style as Link’s Awakening, but I’m not holding my breath either. It’s just a great formula and nothing out there is scratching it for me at all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I love those top-down games, obviously they share DNA with the rest of the series but they really scratch a different itch than the 3D games for me. I'm not sure whether to expect anything much along those lines any more now that they've condensed things down into one system though. I've enjoyed the 2D Zelda-likes I've tried from other developers, but it's always been with a pretty big list of things that Nintendo just does better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Sounds blasphemous with TotK about to drop, but drat, I think it's about time we got another 2D Zelda.