Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Timby posted:

John de Lancie has said he was very frustrated with how Q was treated in Picard S2.

I don't blame him one bit.

There was no 'impish-ness' from the character.
No subtle hints on what he wanted.
He was just a miserable bastard.
Still don't understand how he lost his powers in one episode, and regained them in the end.
Stupid as gently caress, horrible show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I did the three-watch, which is what I call when I watch three episodes of Star Trek together. First it was an old season 2 episode of TNG. You take what you can get in S2 and "Where Silence Has Lease" is one of the better episodes from early in the show. It's a pretty creepy episode and I like the ruminations on death but boy does Worf act like a moron throughout the episode.

Then came "Necessary Evil", a great episode of Deep Space Nine. We get backstory on how a handful of the cast met each other and we get a look into the station when it was occupied by Cardassian forces and Deep Space Nine is not a happy place but it looks so dour in the flashbacks. Never before has blue light looked so tyrannical. Rom was funny.

Then I watched "Forces of Nature" from Season 7 of TNG which wasn't very good and it's weird that the early S2 episode was the better one out of the pair.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

happyhippy posted:

There was no 'impish-ness' from the character.
No subtle hints on what he wanted.
He was just a miserable bastard.
Still don't understand how he lost his powers in one episode, and regained them in the end.
Stupid as gently caress, horrible show.

"I have used my godlike powers to rescue Jean-Luc and his friends from a certain death that has come about because of a time loop I created (and also because Borg Queen Jurati is a loving idiot who withholds vital information for no reason, but that's by the by). So I will now create the time loop, but send Picard - who I'm really, violently angry at for no reason - into an alternate evil future (that I created/will create/will haven createn) from which he first has to figure out how to escape, and then when he returns to conveniently cheap Los Angeles 2024 I will then do everything I can, powers or no, to stop him from doing the thing I sent him there to do, to the point of trying to have him murdered. But when he eventually succeeds in restoring the timeline, I will treat him like my most beloved pet and send him back to the start before I die. For some reason. Even though I'm omnipotent and immortal. Huh."

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I justify it by just considering Q's brain is literally breaking down, so nothing he does makes any sense.

It's not very satisfying from a storytelling perspective, but it works within the plot as much as anything.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Knormal posted:

I justify it by just considering Q's brain is literally breaking down, so nothing he does makes any sense.

It's not very satisfying from a storytelling perspective, but it works within the plot as much as anything.

He thinks like a being from a higher dementia

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

He thinks like a being from a higher dementia

How can you get a non-linear being to even TRY to draw a clock?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

nine-gear crow posted:

How can you get a non-linear being to even TRY to draw a clock?

"That's not what clocks look like."

*SNAP-WHOOSH*

"It is now."

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gotta draw Sisko's weird clock from Dramatis Personae just to be sure

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing which beloved characters get pathetic deaths in picard season 3.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

We just saw TNG "Reunion" and we meeting Alexander the 3/4 Klingon and 1/4 Human mix that was concived naturally, and I got to thinking about why we see so many human mixes and very few mixes of, say, Vulcan/Betazoid.

Well, the Watsonian reasoning, at least.

Theory: Human genetics are flexible enough to hybirdize with other species, and most of the time they are even flexible enough that the hybird offspring are fertile as well.

It might be that other genomes are less flexible, so while there are first generation mixes, there are no second generation mixes.

We... kinda saw this in real life? We have both Neanderthal and Denisovian DNA, though very small amounts.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

It's like the fan theory about humans just being that much more brash and insane with technology, but instead it's about being kinky horndogs who will impregnate, or be impregnated by anything.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

killer crane posted:

It's like the fan theory about humans just being that much more brash and insane with technology, but instead it's about being kinky horndogs who will impregnate, or be impregnated by anything.

Rose: So that's what we do? We go out into the universe and...

Doctor: Dance.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Twincityhacker posted:

and I got to thinking about why we see so many human mixes and very few mixes of, say, Vulcan/Betazoid.

Huh, it seems you're right. Off the top of my head, the only hybrid characters I can think of that are NOT part human are the product of races that are traditionally enemies: Bajoran-Cardassian (e.g. Ziyal) and Romulan-Klingon.

And now you've got me imagining other mixes. Bolian-Andorians would presumably be a shade of blue previously unknown to science.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Powered Descent posted:

Huh, it seems you're right. Off the top of my head, the only hybrid characters I can think of that are NOT part human are the product of races that are traditionally enemies: Bajoran-Cardassian (e.g. Ziyal) and Romulan-Klingon.

And now you've got me imagining other mixes. Bolian-Andorians would presumably be a shade of blue previously unknown to science.

So in the dark fetish universe of Star Trek there is only human-loving and hate-loving.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
at the end of all good things delancii makes such a good point to picard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARyUGi0gReA

imagine if picard had just picked that up and have him seen among the stars

gently caress have picard do a grand save the universe against a threat, and then in season 2, have Q point out that grand strugle was like 2 ants fighting over nothing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Payndz posted:

"I have used my godlike powers to rescue Jean-Luc and his friends from a certain death that has come about because of a time loop I created (and also because Borg Queen Jurati is a loving idiot who withholds vital information for no reason, but that's by the by). So I will now create the time loop, but send Picard - who I'm really, violently angry at for no reason - into an alternate evil future (that I created/will create/will haven createn) from which he first has to figure out how to escape, and then when he returns to conveniently cheap Los Angeles 2024 I will then do everything I can, powers or no, to stop him from doing the thing I sent him there to do, to the point of trying to have him murdered. But when he eventually succeeds in restoring the timeline, I will treat him like my most beloved pet and send him back to the start before I die. For some reason. Even though I'm omnipotent and immortal. Huh."
Yes and this franchise already did the ‘Q teaches Picard a lesson’ episode, it was called ‘All Good Things’

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

There was going to be a Trill-Klingon, but then Dukat got in the way.

At least it's a lot easier on the makeup people to figure out how to do milder versions of racial characteristics instead of hybrid.

Also I assume Disco was a lot less inclined to explore interrelations between various species. God knows Enterprise was, although it was sort of set in an early period of galactic history before a lot of mixing could happen? There was that idea that T'Pol would be revealed to be part Romulan, but what that even means is questionable since Romulans and Vulcans are already distant cousins. DS9 was sort of a setting where hybrids would much more inevitably enter the plot, since it was an alien space station with a majority alien main cast. By the end, O'Brien was the only baseline human left.

I feel like Star Trek doesn't really get into the idea of melting pots much, and when they do, they're pretty expressly clear that humans and the Federation are the pinnacle of a melting pot in the universe, since all other space empires are very explicitly one-species only.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SlothfulCobra posted:

By the end, O'Brien was the only baseline human left.
Wow, I know people dislike the character, but I'm pretty sure Keiko was still human.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and this franchise already did the ‘Q teaches Picard a lesson’ episode, it was called ‘All Good Things’

Or even just Tapestry

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Wow, I know people dislike the character, but I'm pretty sure Keiko was still human.

Not main cast though.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Also I'm not sure that pah-wraith actually left.

I kid! I kid because I love.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I like that episode because it gave Rosalind Chao the opportunity to really ham it up and it was great

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My headcanon is that all the "half human" people are actually designer babies which are whipped up by the local doctor to show genetic analogues of the human parent - or whatever. It may be treyf for humans to do it, but they didn't say anything about Vulcans!

The "human genetics" thereunto are the designer baby genes propagating because Starfleet medical science apparently builds out from cyberpunk medical science of "just do whatever, lol, gently caress it, man"

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nessus posted:

My headcanon is that all the "half human" people are actually designer babies which are whipped up by the local doctor to show genetic analogues of the human parent - or whatever. It may be treyf for humans to do it, but they didn't say anything about Vulcans!

The "human genetics" thereunto are the designer baby genes propagating because Starfleet medical science apparently builds out from cyberpunk medical science of "just do whatever, lol, gently caress it, man"

Isn't it canonical that all these mixes are the result of genetic engineering? I know the vulcan/human hybrid in ENT was the result of gene play, as well as Alexander's mom mentioning her mix was with the help of her parents being geneticists. Sure Alexander was an accident, but both his parents already had klingon DNA, it wasn't a pure alien mixing.

I just assume any time there are mixes they just don't bother mentioning the genetic engineering that went into it because its a non issue in the Trek world.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, Bashir is genetically engineering Dax's ovum when she and Worf are trying for a baby too.

Torres/Paris and Worf/K'Ehleyr getting pregnant were accidents but those were presumably both cases where one parent had already been engineered for hybridisation.

It's well established in Trek that genetic engineering for valid medical reasons is okay, it's just deliberate improvement that's illegal.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 6, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
A Klingon - ferengi mix would be sweet.
"I have acquired PROFIT WITH HONOR"

"Today IS a good day to DO BUSINESS"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wesleywillis posted:

A Klingon - ferengi mix would be sweet.
"I have acquired PROFIT WITH HONOR"

"Today IS a good day to DO BUSINESS"
And that's how Quark got his leg broken (nonsexual)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Knormal posted:

You can also justify it by just considering that the writers are all failsons and should not have jobs.

Also P-Stew himself has a certain form of dementia called “I’m an executive producer now, people have to pay attention to my stupid input!”

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
A Holodeck adventure in which a sinister Walter Koenig plays a whimsical but untrustworthy pixie playing a magic flute.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Prurient Squid posted:

A Holodeck adventure in which a sinister Walter Koenig plays a whimsical but untrustworthy pixie playing a magic flute.

This sounds like the DS9 Rumpelstiltskin episode

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I HAVE NO MEMORY OF THIS

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

This sounds like the DS9 Rumpelstiltskin episode

If you show a wish in the first act, you must have it become a horse in the third act.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Prurient Squid posted:

I don't know about the pixie with flute bit but "whimsical and untrustworthy/sinister" kind of describes Bester, his Babylon5 chararcter.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

jeeves posted:

You can also justify it by just considering that the writers are all failsons and should not have jobs.

Also P-Stew himself has a certain form of dementia called “I’m an executive producer now, people have to pay attention to my stupid input!”
I suppose there is a lot of conceptual crossover between real-world Executive Producer Patrick Stewart and in-universe omnipotent Q.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I know it presaged the Picard you’re all hating on but I just watched “Starship Mine” last night and it kicked loving rear end. “Birthright” was good too, both parts.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I just love the story P-Stew once admitted years ago in some interview that he never paid attention to any of the "gobbledygook" of writing they had him say while filming, so he never understood any of the plots or stories of the episodes. It always seemed such gibberish to him, especially coming from a theatrical background of having an entire play in front of you to memorize at once.

So decades later when he would fly around on location for the shooting of the X-Men movies or such, he'd catch TNG episodes while flipping channels in his hotel suites and be amazed that "they were actually interesting stories, if you sat down and watched them!" ...Even though the point of his story is the attempt at comedy by saying the room service would catch him watching himself on TV.

I think the dig at "oh wow, this wasn't complete trash, amazing!" on the thing that MADE HIS CAREER and he's been continuing to milk for the rest of his life speaks volumes at what an excellent executive producer he must be.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jeeves posted:

I just love the story P-Stew once admitted years ago in some interview that he never paid attention to any of the "gobbledygook" of writing they had him say while filming, so he never understood any of the plots or stories of the episodes. It always seemed such gibberish to him, especially coming from a theatrical background of having an entire play in front of you to memorize at once.

So decades later when he would fly around on location for the shooting of the X-Men movies or such, he'd catch TNG episodes while flipping channels in his hotel suites and be amazed that "they were actually interesting stories, if you sat down and watched them!" ...Even though the point of his story is the attempt at comedy by saying the room service would catch him watching himself on TV.

I think the dig at "oh wow, this wasn't complete trash, amazing!" on the thing that MADE HIS CAREER and he's been continuing to milk for the rest of his life speaks volumes at what an excellent executive producer he must be.

I remember watching him telling that story on Conan O'Brien.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

jeeves posted:

The man is on record multiple times begging the TNG writers to let Picard do “more loving and fighting”. I genuinely don’t think he ever “got” the character and it’s been an absolute disaster giving him any say on the post-TNG projects.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Man, if only we had gotten the Captain Riker show post Best of Both Worlds...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They should have had Picard take off on adventures and only show up now and then as an increasingly Lord Flashheart character.