Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite former IK?
This poll is closed.
metis 5 7.04%
Metis! 16 22.54%
Me, tis 18 25.35%
emits 14 19.72%
Hydrossity 18 25.35%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

:shrug: it's a standalone and I enjoyed it

I started with Night Watch so maybe I'm not the best one to talk

i also coincidentally started with night watch after a cousin bought it for me apparently on a whim, and it's a strong credit to its writing that i was instantly hooked with zero information on who these characters were or whatever previous motivations they held

that scene in the dungeons still loving sticks with me nearly two decades later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebob
Sep 16, 2000

Contents Guaranteed By Law To Contain At Least 99% Chemicals At All Times

Mode 7 posted:

I enjoy Discworld 1 + 2 but accept they're bullshit hard and not for everyone. Eric Idle is a great Rincewind, though. Discworld Noir is genuinely great though a pain in the rear end to get running.

The real answer though is that the Discworld MUD exists, is arguably one of the best MUDs ever made, and is a pretty incredible adaptation of the Disc.

The PSX discworld game was in fact my introduction to the series. Big Python fan so seeing voice acting credit and the box art was enough to try that. Honestly might be the second playstation game I ever rented. Yes, 1 is definitely bullshit hard and has some crap adventure game logic, but when the humor is that good, it takes some of the sting out of endless failure. 2 I actually managed to make it most of the way through without any walkthroughs, so I'll give it credit for a more even difficulty but there's still plenty of utter nonsense and it wasn't as laugh out loud funny.

As far as which Pratchett book to start with, yes, this is well-charted territory (literally, there's a chart). I would not have liked the series quite as much if I hadn't started with the first book, because I'd read enough fantasy to at least understand most of the things they were parodying. Everyone says it's very unlike the rest of the series, which is both true and not true, but it has the *Luggage* in its first appearance and that alone overcomes any flaws or weaknesses the book may have.

I think my favorite books are those that involve the witches, though.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

verbal enema posted:

I like the Discworld with Bill Door

Reaper Man and Hogfather are my favs, anything with Death is good.

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

Rinkles posted:

What a cute, weird little game

Pocket Card Jockey

I don't think I'm gonna play it for long, because its quirkiness is the only thing holding my attention.

is it not as good as it was on ds? are there microtransactions?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kinky Cookie Bunny posted:

is it not as good as it was on ds? are there microtransactions?

It’s an Apple Arcade game so no mtx. Idk how different it is from the original. It might just not be for me. Which is a pity because I love the tone.

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

Rinkles posted:

It’s an Apple Arcade game so no mtx. Idk how different it is from the original. It might just not be for me. Which is a pity because I love the tone.

thank you for your honesty

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Me when all the gaas games are dying but there are 15 more slated for release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF9sNlnAZRM

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Video game music got its own category at the Grammys this year.

quote:

Best Score Soundtrack for Video Games and Other Interactive Media
Award to Composer(s) for an original score created specifically for, or as a companion to, video games and other interactive media.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite / Austin Wintory, composer

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Dawn Of Ragnarok - WINNER / Stephanie Economou, composer

Call Of Duty®: Vanguard / Bear McCreary, composer

Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy / Richard Jacques, composer

Old World / Christopher Tin, composer

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ErrEff posted:

Video game music got its own category at the Grammys this year.

Those nominees :goofy:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Normies aren’t ready to accept real vg music…

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looks like the Grammies didn’t watch a certain live performance at the game awards

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Buschmaki posted:

Me when all the gaas games are dying but there are 15 more slated for release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF9sNlnAZRM

There's always time to get your login bonus.

It's Friday night.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Hey everyone. I bought like six new Switch games recently since I'm done with uni courses and holy poo poo is it good. I haven't touched the thing in months and now I've been doing nothing but play Pokemon Scarlet the last few days. I thought I would hate Pokemon. Gaming is good. That's all I wanted to say. cya.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Ah the Americas Got Talent 'Worlds greatest sob story' routine

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've now watched 8 horror films from last year, resurrection the latest. it was, powerful

my rankings

1) Host
2) Resurrection
3) A Wounded Fawn
4) Dawn Breaks Behind the Eyes
5) Slash/Back
6) The Seed
7) Incantation
8) Skinamarink

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

i've now watched 8 horror films from last year, resurrection the latest. it was, powerful

my rankings

1) Host
2) Resurrection
3) A Wounded Fawn
5) Slash/Back
6) The Seed
7) Incantation
8) Skinamarink

When you decide to do a media dive, you go all in, dang.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Still the best

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Your experience may vary, but I found Fireteam's tracks to be a wild mix of Goldsmith, Horner, and Goldenthal influences that somehow manage to compliment each other alongside Austin Wintory's obsession with weird wind instruments like serpents/didgeridoos:

https://youtu.be/OiAHpenmbLY

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barudak posted:

yea. well it's been something i've been doing since the start of the year. i have a list of films to go through and its nowhere near as large as my games backlog.

2022 horror films i still have to watch: Hellbender, You Are Not My Mother, All My Friends Hate Me, Master, Nanny, Titane (technically 2021 but it's in Shudder's 2022 collection), The Innocents, Sissy, Mad God

other recent horror films I intend on watching, at some point: The Night House, Prey, Synchronic, Something in the Dirt, 1BR

2023 doesn't seem as horror-packed as 2022 was so it's been a good time to catch up. Even if this year ends up being a clunker for horror, the back half should free up all the remaining 2022 horror films I want to see from Rental/VOD Jail

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Barudak posted:

some October you should take a peak in the Horror movie Challenge thread in CineD. a couple people consistently watch over a hundred horror movies every October.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

some October you should take a peak in the Horror movie Challenge thread in CineD. a couple people consistently watch over a hundred horror movies every October.

I watched 9 hercules movie in a month and I felt like I was going crazy, so hats off to these folks.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gripweed posted:

that's too much media consumption even for me lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, TOBACCO did the soundtrack to High on Life? I guess the game might have a single selling point.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Khanstant posted:

Shame Discworld never seems to get kickass videogame or TV adaptations, that's the fantasy city and world I want to explore.

I liked Wyrd Sisters, the 2008 Colour of Magic and The Watch but I also have awful taste

I think Hogfather is on my watch list

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm really liking Hi Fi Rush, but there is one thing about it that drives me nuts and it's the terrible checkpointing system. For example I'm on Chapter 8, there is an encounter I'm having trouble with, and every time I die I have to watch about a 1 minute exchange between Mimosa and my character, and I'm just like LET ME SKIP THIS loving SCENE HOLY poo poo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I'm really liking Hi Fi Rush, but there is one thing about it that drives me nuts and it's the terrible checkpointing system. For example I'm on Chapter 8, there is an encounter I'm having trouble with, and every time I die I have to watch about a 1 minute exchange between Mimosa and my character, and I'm just like LET ME SKIP THIS loving SCENE HOLY poo poo

i know the one you're talking about. that's the only fight in the game that really had me gnashing my teeth

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Can you not skip that cutscene by holding B?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think it’s one of those lock you in a room while a screen talks to you thing like from Half Life 2 or DOOM 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think my fav is Thief of Time. But when I reread them all, I think Feet of Clay was the funniest. I think Thud! has the most powerful scene/climax in the series, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah, the chat with mimosa is part of the fight's lead-in so it can't be skipped. it's also possibly the single hardest non-boss fight in the game so you'll likely be seeing it several times before you pull through

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Undertale should win a Grammy every year

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
keep thinking of how great Toby’s music would be in Theatrhythm

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

None of those video games even HAVE grandmas this is a crock

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

my rankings

1) Host
2) Resurrection
3) A Wounded Fawn
5) Slash/Back
6) The Seed
7) Incantation
8) Skinamarink

watch We’re All Going to the World’s Fair

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I have completed 'fire emblem engage'. That's some drat good fire emblem there. Now I can continue playing elden ring, not that I ever really stopped.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I finished the PS4 Ratchet and Clank, very good videogame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Theatrhythm demo is way too fun, think I might buy this ultra expensive version...