Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

GateOfD posted:

I have 2400SP pts on Alear and no idea what to use it on.

I'm mainly using his as Byleth teach/goddess dance dude, I do use him to attack, but mine kind of has weak avoid rate for some reason.

suggestions? I already have vantage lv1 on him

You can never go wrong with Canter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GateOfD posted:

I'm mainly using his as Byleth teach/goddess dance dude, I do use him to attack, but mine kind of has weak avoid rate for some reason.

Canter's always good. Speedtaker's pretty rad too if you want something that's more offensive.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

the twins are very funny

Someone, I think Endorph, said that the localization actually toned them down in translation which was a huge whiff on their part.

I enjoyed them well enough (and Framme getting like 8-9 near perfect levels in a row did a lot to endear me to her) but I can understand why they’d be off putting to anyone who takes them seriously and not as the parody they seem intended as.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

GateOfD posted:

Canter is basically always a right answer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Harrow posted:

Canter's always good. Speedtaker's pretty rad too if you want something that's more offensive.

I've been putting this on anyone with SP bucks that likes to slay and it owns.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
idk if the numerical thresholds are stupid on maddening but i thought lyn's paralogue on hard after chapter 14 was trivial. my guys just ran at the enemies, blew up all the bow knights piecemeal, and all the tent bosses were dead long before i had to converge on lyn (who i activated by baiting out rather than by her timer)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just started and have to ask, they uh, tone down the hero worship right

First couple maps having children fawn over the MC nonstop is already kind of grating lol
its meant to be grating. its a joke. its a weird thing to lead with but their supports have alear go 'okay walk it back please,' its meant to be too much

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Micaiah's paralogue was very weird and poorly designed. Like, did they think I would field a dozen archers???

It was still easy until the surprise at the end, and even then it was a challenge of getting all the goodies before finishing the map.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Notty posted:

Someone, I think Endorph, said that the localization actually toned them down in translation which was a huge whiff on their part.
specifically framme's crush on alear is way more obvious in the jp and clan just exaggerates more. its not a major characterization change or anything but it feels like they thought they'd be too annoying which ironically i think makes them come across more annoying.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Hey all, quick question before I buy this:

1. How long does the game take to start with actual gameplay? That was my biggest issue with 3H was that it seemed to be forever (even though I know it wasn't).
2. Are the battles decent sized or more "micro"?

Thanks!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just started and have to ask, they uh, tone down the hero worship right

First couple maps having children fawn over the MC nonstop is already kind of grating lol

The twins don't exist in plot after chapter 3.

Shame kinda because they can be pretty funny but afterwards you just get people treating Alear like any other classic FE Noble Lord.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

inthesto posted:

Micaiah's paralogue was very weird and poorly designed. Like, did they think I would field a dozen archers???

It was still easy until the surprise at the end, and even then it was a challenge of getting all the goodies before finishing the map.

The FE10 chapter it's based on gave you a bunch of semi-controllable NPC allies, including a fair few archers who would man most of the siege weapons if you didn't specifically direct them not to. They ditched the small army of NPCs but left all the siege weapons in.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

worms butthole guy posted:

1. How long does the game take to start with actual gameplay? That was my biggest issue with 3H was that it seemed to be forever (even though I know it wasn't).

Thanks!

1. Very quickly relative to 3H.
2. It depends. More units in a tighter space from my view.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

worms butthole guy posted:

Thanks!
1. a lot faster than 3h. you get into battles faster, the game picks up pace in terms of difficulty more quickly, and the time between battles is much shorter.
2. early on the battles are fairly constrained but mid-lategame maps are decently sized. maps arent as huge as 3h but tbh 3h maps had a lot of wasted space.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Like music to my ears, thank you both :D

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i'm very annoyed that i only found out the big fat wyrm guys are only Corrupted and Fell Dragons, and not Dragons, after i already forged a +3 Wyrmslayer :(

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

jimmydalad posted:

Alear and Zelkov’s A support is pure gold.

It's so good

I just finished the game, loved it. Will do another run on maddening probably when all the DLC is out.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fabricated dragons are dragons, but corrupted ones aren't for some reason

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

panette and yunaka's B support is the best

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

ungulateman posted:

i'm very annoyed that i only found out the big fat wyrm guys are only Corrupted and Fell Dragons, and not Dragons, after i already forged a +3 Wyrmslayer :(

You'll get plenty of use out of it in a wyvern heavy map at least!

Also, the story is very corny, but if you're a fan of the franchise and a "power of friendship" enjoyer it has its moments

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How do y'all pick weapons? I instinctively want to hoard, "one of those, one of those for range, one of those in case accuracy's an issue, oh I should bring one of those..." and then everyone's carrying four or five weapons it's difficult to be willing to upgrade any of them.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Bruceski posted:

How do y'all pick weapons? I instinctively want to hoard, "one of those, one of those for range, one of those in case accuracy's an issue, oh I should bring one of those..." and then everyone's carrying four or five weapons it's difficult to be willing to upgrade any of them.

Between engage weapons, most bosses having the "ignore effective weapons" skill, and engraving, you can usually stick to one weapon of each type for most situations, a ranged weapon, and 1-2 "effective against" counters not on your engage weapons.

Reik fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 6, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Clanne what the gently caress did you do. G-rank meals are a thing?!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I once got a meal that lowered all my stats by 1 for the next battle.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

G rank meals are much better than F rank meals tbh

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m liking the combination of Perceptive and Build +4 for my front liners

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Bruceski posted:

It kind of depends on the character, there’s a few of my characters that have a ‘one-size fits all’ weapon, like Yunaka with a forged Dagger or Ivy with a Levin Sword. The vast majority of the time they won’t use another weapon even if I gave it to them so I don’t even bother, and just load them up with utility items like Vulns, Antivenoms, Pure Waters, or Staves.

Likewise Hortensia who is going to be doing staffbot stuff most of the time so I generally rock with an Elthunder for chip damage if she’s in the rare position where staff utility wouldn’t be more helpful.

For my frontliners, I generally have just tried to focus on whatever engraved weapon I have them with, and kit them out appropriately based on need. So for example, Alear has an engraved +5 Liberation which she uses for most combat but I try to keep a couple of +2 Armorslayers or Wyrmslayers around depending on what I’m going to be facing on a map to map basis.

Obvs some engraves are better than others, but generally speaking they’re all valuable enough on the right person that it’s worth making sure everyone you’re deploying has one, and those are probably the weapons you want to invest into.

Outside of a general use weapon you prob want 1-2 range, 3 range if possible, and then effective weapons for specific circumstances.

Also at the end of the day, you have the emblem weapons which are as good or better than most of what you can make, so there’s not much point in loading up on weapon slots over utility items.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

G rank meals are much better than F rank meals tbh

Still. Those poor churros deserved better. :(

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski posted:

Killer weapons are absolutely ridiculous in this game. Pick one up, forge it a bit and revel in your steel weapon that just has a 30% chance of deleting someone.

Then pick a few utility options, one for range, one for armour slaying.

Otherwise don't fret too hard. You'll get a feel for things. Broadly just remind yourself to pop to the forge and upgrade *something* after each mission. Even if it just sits in your inventory doing nothing it's better than never putting those materials to use.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The only thing that bothers me about the Somniel is that I can’t tell where everyone’s quarters would be. Is everyone just camping all the time? Because I can see that working for like, Lapis and Timerra but not Ivy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Killer weapon and anti armour weapon is all I need unless I want the character throwing poo poo at people as well (and why not really)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Carlosologist posted:

The only thing that bothers me about the Somniel is that I can’t tell where everyone’s quarters would be. Is everyone just camping all the time? Because I can see that working for like, Lapis and Timerra but not Ivy

There's a few doors in the central castle that you can't enter, around the cafe area, I assume everyone has apartments in there.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s fun to imagine everyone fighting over whose turn it is to use Alears bed. Everyone else just sleeps in a big pile together out on the grass.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Finished my second playthrough, on maddening. Absolutely incredible game. Basically no complaints about the actual gameplay. There's a few minor annoyances but they're basically all related to the ui in the somniel

I'm going to wait for more distance before I rate this my favorite FE but there's no way it isn't at least top three

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
panette was mvp of nearly every map I didn't cheese after she joined

thank you, panette

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

panette ftw

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I wish the DLC gave a gold grinding map like many of the recent games, gold is so rare and even gold corrupted barely give you any. Might make the game too easy though.

I got halfway through Chapter 16’s battle and it took so long that I have to finish it tomorrow. Somehow they came up with the worst map gimmick and it that wasn’t bad enough, threw in tons and tons of reinforcements! So much fun!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fun map imo. Wish they had more brigands gunning for the house though.

E: Or more houses. Split my army in 2 and bottom army didn't really have a whole lot going on comparatively.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Fun map imo. Wish they had more brigands gunning for the house though.

Are you serious? I had to start the map over to prioritize that dude while not letting my fliers get shot out of the sky. One was more than enough. The item better be worth it!

Edit: Kotaku just shared that atrocious review again and I skimmed through it and realized it contained major plot spoilers. Wow. I’m actually legit mad, wanted to experience the disappointment of the lovely twist for myself!!!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Carlosologist posted:

You haven't seen any bathrooms anywhere either, have you?

There's a reason why Alear keeps finding "horse" manure everywhere...