Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Anything with the word Satan in it was also an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Uhg you'd think I'd figure out quote and edit in this thread.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Outrail posted:

Uhg you'd think I'd figure out quote and edit in this thread.

In order to maintain a verifiable chain of communication, the edit functionality has been disabled for employees, and any edits are to be made in a stand-alone follow-up post using this reference format:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/fuckyouiquit/status/1622346153651240960

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cthulu Carl posted:

I bet if you had put "Allah" you could have gotten the place closed for a few days.

يالله

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Grain of truth and all that - the time I spend between home and work is almost meditative. On the other hand, I walk and take public transport; if I had to drive I don't think I'd be even mildly positive.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I used to enjoy my 30 minute walk each way to and from the office as me time with music or podcasts but now I just walk the dogs for an hour after work instead and get the same benefit plus the dogs get walked without me having to go outside again

Win/win

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I psychologically recover from work by turning the loving laptop off and slam dunking it into my backpack, even if I'm going to work from home tomorrow too.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I just go for a walk with the dog, it’s not that loving hard to come up with a clear delineation between work and not-work.

Like, if you have problems “turning it off” when five rolls around and you’re giving your boss unpaid labor, the solution is to work on that with a therapist or self-help book or whatever, not require there be 10 million cars on the road.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Yeah, I feel like if driving offers you a rare liminal space to decompress you're probably not paying enough attention to the road. My liminal space is napping until I feel good and ready to work.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ahahaha wonder if these management scholars hangout with NFL concussion doctors. On WFH days nothing stops me from sitting in my car for 45 minutes then throwing $10 in the trash, but oddly I don’t do that if I don’t have to.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Crying at work: It's good, actually.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

:thermidor::killing::thermidor:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Stolen from Reddit

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Handsome Ralph posted:

Stolen from Reddit

Yeah I'll keep working in factories instead of invading my home with this poo poo

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Handsome Ralph posted:

Stolen from Reddit

if you can't already tell whether an employee is doing useful work or not..

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Computer viking posted:

Grain of truth and all that - the time I spend between home and work is almost meditative. On the other hand, I walk and take public transport; if I had to drive I don't think I'd be even mildly positive.
My commute by train was absolutely meditative. Good book (this was before wi-fi), time to myself, watching the world go by my window. Driving? Not so much.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Actually working from home allows me to permanently detach from work. Since I work at home, I'm at home. Hope this helps, skyscraper overlords! Also, suck my dick!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
driving sucks rear end in general and commuting is the worst form of it

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Except then there have also been studies saying that there is a massive increase in the likelihood of chronic depression if your commute is more than 20 minutes one way because driving should not be completely brainless, especially during rush hour.

I’m guessing “scholars” means hr think tanks who collect money for coming up with ways to make employees eat poo poo.

https://time.com/9912/10-things-your-commute-does-to-your-body/?amp=true

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Handsome Ralph posted:

Stolen from Reddit

These are our WFH requirements minus the webcam poo poo, but it's for security reasons.

I did get into a bit of a slapfight over the requirement to install a privacy screen on my monitor. The things suck and end up peeling off anyway.
"You have to put this on your home stuff so no one can look over your shoulder."
"I live alone."
"Put it on anyway."
"OK."
(I took it and then threw it behind the bookcase in the guest room)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

My easy 10 minute drive home 100% lets me decompress from work, listen to dumb poo poo I found that day at work, and stop by the store for dinner that night.

If that was replaced with 'stagger out of bed, jiggle mouse, log into work machine, go back to bed', nothing of value would be lost.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

thathonkey posted:

driving sucks rear end in general and commuting is the worst form of it

Big yup, and my commute is only 12 minutes

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

My easy 10 minute drive home 100% lets me decompress from work, listen to dumb poo poo I found that day at work, and stop by the store for dinner that night.

If that was replaced with 'stagger out of bed, jiggle mouse, log into work machine, go back to bed', nothing of value would be lost.

INCORRECT! The value of the money that capital put into all of that expensive, downtown commercial real estate would be lost!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Owning a car sucks big stinky shits IMHO.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Jelly posted:

Actually working from home allows me to permanently detach from work. Since I work at home, I'm at home. Hope this helps, skyscraper overlords! Also, suck my dick!

Actually you live at work!

Escape From Noise posted:

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 6, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
My commute to work is very good for my mental health. But it's a 12 minute walk through a dog park not a 45 minute mad max death ride.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

My commute to work is very good for my mental health. But it's a 12 minute walk through a dog park not a 45 minute mad max death ride.

So you don't live and work in Seattle...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

send me one of those sweet mini Japanese pickup trucks, that thing would be so fuckin handy

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

So you don't live and work in Seattle...

Obviously. I'm stupid not stupid.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

send me one of those sweet mini Japanese pickup trucks, that thing would be so fuckin handy

I had a friend who was trying to import those into the US but I guess there were issues with street legality. It may have been because they were older though.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
No don't mistake proof that 20 pin connector that when installed backwards completely fries a $115000 circuit card. that's fine just make sure that people sign their name to it so I know who to fire when one gets fried.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Can't spell fried without fired!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That sounds like it needs a "this side toward enemy" level guide printed on it.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

goatface posted:

That sounds like it needs a "this side toward enemy" level guide printed on it.

Yeah, there's some red dots marking pin 1 but also I will destroy the person that fucks up my hardware.

This JUST happened on another project and we lost 20 parts, which was like half the production lot.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I kind of want to blame whoever didn't pick a keyed connector?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

My work allows me to work from home twice a week on the condition I install TIME DOCTOR on my work laptop.

TIME DOCTOR is a "useful" "time management app" that "helps" workers manage their time. How does it do this? Well, you turn on TIME DOCTOR when you begin working. TIME DOCTOR then takes a screenshot of your computer screen once every minute and a half or so. If TIME DOCTOR does not detect you are typing/moving your mouse enough, a pop-up appears on-screen asking you if you are still working. You have 60 seconds to click "yes", or it will automatically put you on a break.

My boss can, at any point, look at the screenshots of all his employees using TIME DOCTOR. He can also check when they are registered as not working/on a break.

My work is research. This means, I am often reading or watching a video on my laptop which does not require input on my part. This means I am greeted with "ARE YOU WORKING?" pop-ups constantly.

TIME DOCTOR, in case you cannot tell, ifs a universally-despised program that does not in any way help workers whatsoever. It exists purely to nark on you to your boss when it thinks you are not working.

Best of all, TIME DOCTOR does not even do what it is loving supposed to do. This is because if your boss has 10 employees using it in a day, that's what - 400 pictures an hour? Even do-nothing bosses do not have time to loving scroll through all those screenshots.

Additionally, I can simply load up a Youtube video relevant to the topic I am researching, put it on .5x speed, and then do something else. As long as I mash an unimportant key like "`" every few minutes, it will not freak out. This does not stop it from being annoying as gently caress and essentially just being a form of psychological warfare against employees.

I, and everyone else I know, loving hates TIME DOCTOR.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Does TIME DOCTOR work on macs?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Block that port on your home network and play dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Computer viking posted:

I kind of want to blame whoever didn't pick a keyed connector?

I also want to blame my components engineer for a lot of things, like selecting non rad-hard components and components with ungrounded lids.