Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

goodness posted:

Did not know that, thanks!

e: Made my first setups for red and green research things. I did red and thought, "That was simple", then I saw green had 2 intermediate parts :monocle:

This is art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he'll figure out direct insertion eventually and it'll be ON

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Adorable. Keep us posted!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I am allergic to such order and organization.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

FISHMANPET posted:

I messed up and accidentally deleted all my blueprints when I was trying to copy over to my new computer. They might still be on a third computer, I just haven't been bothered to pull it out and check.

Also I love seeing new players' builds. I've played maybe 20 games, launched thousands of rockets, and I'll never get back that experience of playing for the first time, not knowing what's going on, and just sort of fumbling through it, building yourself into corners, and building yourself out, learning everything as you go.

The closest I've gotten to that again was playing K2. I've found most other big mods are just too much for me but that was a nice balance of new stuff (and having to work through spaghetti) and familiar mechanics.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

well why not posted:

he'll figure out direct insertion eventually and it'll be ON

If you look at the green science screenshot, he has figured it out, he just choses not to use it :)

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

FISHMANPET posted:

I messed up and accidentally deleted all my blueprints when I was trying to copy over to my new computer. They might still be on a third computer, I just haven't been bothered to pull it out and check.

This game needs a GitHub integration for blueprints

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

LightRailTycoon posted:

This game needs a GitHub integration for blueprints

Screw that, remember which blueprints were placed, so I can do a git pull and update my built factory. I want CI/CD for my trains .

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

LonsomeSon posted:

Four or five years ago, I accidentally let off a nuclear rocket in the middle of the base in a goon multiplayer game, destroying the entire nested-Factorissimo robot production capacity without any blueprints having been saved anywhere. I was and am still so psychically scarred by that shame that not only will I not use Factorissimo, I've also never again done multiplayer Factorio.

Destroying the building hasn't destroyed the contents for a very long time - they exist on a separate surface so you can get the buildings back and boom no problem.

(also save locally when you leave a multiplayer game, it's good to have bqckups)

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

LightRailTycoon posted:

Screw that, remember which blueprints were placed, so I can do a git pull and update my built factory. I want CI/CD for my trains .

then you have to build a linter for your designs and unit testing to verify they're at ratio

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Real engineers don't use robots or blueprints. :c00lbutt:

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Charles 1998 posted:

Real engineers don't use robots or blueprints. :c00lbutt:

My workflow depends on having no construction robots, so that I can place ghost belts adjacent to real belts to change their curvature, and no logistic robots, so that I can use my trash slots for storage.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have just gotten to robots myself and am not sure what to do with them. Covering the entire base in roboports would make me rework everything, construction robots are for... automatic repairs I guess? Since construction is instant I don't know why I would use them to build things. I guess logistics bots could replace some of the extreme long range belts? The science lab area is kind of a mess with how many inputs end up going there.

Can construction bots automatically replace all my red belts with blues?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Handcrafting a single item is almost instant, handcrafting thousands of them is not, so you make machines to do all that crafting for you.
Building a single thing is almost instant, building a full screen is not, so you make construction bots to do that for you while you focus on the design part.

And yes, they can mass upgrade things.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I have just gotten to robots myself and am not sure what to do with them. Covering the entire base in roboports would make me rework everything, construction robots are for... automatic repairs I guess? Since construction is instant I don't know why I would use them to build things. I guess logistics bots could replace some of the extreme long range belts? The science lab area is kind of a mess with how many inputs end up going there.

Can construction bots automatically replace all my red belts with blues?

Construction robots work together with blueprints. You can put together a blueprint of a factory structure, then just stamp that down with one click and the bots will handle it. You can also make an Upgrade Planner and configure it to replace buildings with upgraded (or downgraded if you want) alternatives.
You can also place construction orders out of your personal reach. They can even allow you to build things without travelling to that part of the base at all - you can set construction orders from the map screen.

On top of repair construction bots will also replace any building that gets destroyed in combat, including land mines, as long as there's some available in your provider chests.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
yes, you can use the upgrade planner to mark things for upgrade and the bots will replace if they have access to the blue belts in network (or personal!). the main benefit for construction is deploying things quickly from cut/copy paste and blueprints. you can also use them to tear down forests

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

You can also press Ctrl+c, drag a box around some stuff, and it gives you what is basically a temporary/ephemeral blueprint. Extremely handy

Also if you press M for the map view, zoom in until it changes from the abstract representation to the normal camera feed, you can do this kind of work anywhere in your base that the robot network touches. You can even select some type of object from your inventory/hotbar and shift+click to place a ghost of it that a robot will then try to fulfill

Construction robots get stuff from logistics chests, so you want to put all your factory-building supplies into provider chests

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

You can also press Ctrl+c, drag a box around some stuff, and it gives you what is basically a temporary/ephemeral blueprint. Extremely handy

Also if you press M for the map view, zoom in until it changes from the abstract representation to the normal camera feed, you can do this kind of work anywhere in your base that the robot network touches. You can even select some type of object from your inventory/hotbar and shift+click to place a ghost of it that a robot will then try to fulfill

Construction robots get stuff from logistics chests, so you want to put all your factory-building supplies into provider chests

Note that RTS view from the map screen requires radar coverage.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
You can also press ctrl+Z and the bots will undo your last action.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Voxx posted:

yes, you can use the upgrade planner to mark things for upgrade and the bots will replace if they have access to the blue belts in network (or personal!). the main benefit for construction is deploying things quickly from cut/copy paste and blueprints. you can also use them to tear down forests

Additionally, upgrade and destruction planners can be filtered, so you can (for example) upgrade only yellow belts to red, or only remove trees from an area.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The most important purpose for construction bots is paving the world.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just increase the brush size and plop 100 concrete tiles yourself?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

jokes posted:

That's gonna involve a lot of running around. Your manual reach isn't very far.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jokes posted:

Your inventory space is not big enough for the kind of paving you deserve.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Paving the world with roboports is still too slow for my taste unless you add so many construction bots that you need to add extra roboports just to have a place for them to sleep, and then they just don't do anything once you're done paving the coverage area. The real power move is to have a spidertron army that just places landfill and concrete.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The real power move is to use FARL to blueprint a rail with hundreds of tiles of concrete laterally then drive around in the mode that tears up the rail behind you.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I'm quite fond of Nullius's paving drones that you shoot out artillery cannons and cover a 128x128 square per shot.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wish you could launch trains that explode into a 1000x1000 square of paved concrete

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Sounds like it's time for a new Renai Transportation feature.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I have discovered direct insertion like y'all mentioned. Got a little messy since I didn't want to make more than one gear factory

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

goodness posted:

I didn't want to make more than one gear factory

:allears:

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
this is now my favourite factorio screenshot LP

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

goodness posted:

I have discovered direct insertion like y'all mentioned. Got a little messy since I didn't want to make more than one gear factory

Now discover that having a buffer chest to steal belts and inserters from is actually good

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

goodness posted:

great work! Can’t wait to see your other science builds.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
That’s basically what I do if I’m feeling lazy and I want to take care of some other stuff for an hour or two before bothering with science. Happy it works for you too.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tamba posted:

Now discover that having a buffer chest to steal belts and inserters from is actually good

:hmmyes: God yes this is so true. All my bootstrap automation stuff have chests limited to 4 or 5 slots yanking off of the belts to serve as a proto-mall for me.

Also the gear factory thing is, like, the most elementally pure "oh my sweet summer child" moment.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Recovered my blueprints from another computer, I'm back baby!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Factorio has had cloud blueprints since 0.17. Either you haven't played in forever or you're doing something wrong. Glad you got it fixed, but figure out what's wrong so you don't lose them again.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

K8.0 posted:

Factorio has had cloud blueprints since 0.17. Either you haven't played in forever or you're doing something wrong. Glad you got it fixed, but figure out what's wrong so you don't lose them again.

Blueprints aren't backed up to the cloud by default. I had to pull an old hard drive out to recover them last time I migrated computers. And then I made sure the box was checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
When I got my new computer, I for some reason decided to move my blueprints from "My blueprints" to "Game blueprints" and as I was doing this I realized that "My blueprints" are cloud synced, so I moved 4 blue print books from "My blueprints" to "game blueprints" then closed without saving the game, so the removal of the 4 books was synced to the cloud, but I hadn't saved them in my game so they were just gone. But I finally got around to pulling out another computer that I played on and pulling the blueprint file off there.