Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Years and years ago, there was a '3d screenshot' thing you could do in quicktime players where it was basically a 360 degree view, you could spin the environment around on a fixed point. It never took off but my younger self thought it was super neat. Halo 2 had some 3d screenshots during its prerelease marketing, which is the first and only time I've seen it

360 video is still a thing, youtube supports it and 360 action cams are fairly accessible now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIEHmagqP_o

the problem with this format is that it's only really engaging in VR where you can naturally look around though, so footage shot this way is more often used as an intermediate step to making a non-360 video, with the view angle baked in post like so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgtrKLCDbPc

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Holy poo poo are we more or less normal again? I am seeint 4090s in stock (although no FE yet), ps5s both Walmart and Amazon, xbox ones and dealer lots actually have vehicles

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

slidebite posted:

Holy poo poo are we more or less normal again? I am seeint 4090s in stock (although no FE yet), ps5s both Walmart and Amazon, xbox ones and dealer lots actually have vehicles

All they had to do was price the 40-series at 30-series scalper prices...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

slidebite posted:

By overpricing everything they solved the demand problem. Normal? Eh.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

All they had to do was price the 40-series at 30-series scalper prices...

Funny thing is adjusted for inflation the 4090 is cheaper than the 3090

quote:

BLS inflation calculator says that $1500 in September 2020 (3090 launch price, FE MSRP) was worth $1717.45 in October 2022. 4090 launch price, FE MSRP was $1600.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

Funny thing is adjusted for inflation the 4090 is cheaper than the 3090

Sure but didn't they shift tiers so a 4090 is like a 3080 in the segmentation?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And the 3090 was $2000, so you better be thankful for the discount, peasant!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Sure but didn't they shift tiers so a 4090 is like a 3080 in the segmentation?

yeah the 3090 was almost the full chip (82/84 SMs) but the 4090 is leaving a decent amount on the table (128/144 SMs) similar to the 3080 (68/84 SMs)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

HalloKitty posted:

By overpricing everything they solved the demand problem. Normal? Eh.
I've been out of this for so long, they've actually raised the prices on them even more since launch? I didn't know that.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They were severely overpriced at launch too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh yeah, I realize that, but they (along with everything else high end like consoles) have been out of stock since launch too. It sounded like from that comment the price was raised even further to stifle demand. My mistake then.

Just noticing that I've actually seen poo poo in stock.... for the first time since like 2020 without trying hard to find something. It's weird seeing a playstation console in stock.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

slidebite posted:

It's weird seeing a playstation console in stock.

People have finally realized it has no games.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

RTX has practically as many games as the PS5.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

People have finally realized it has no games.

the list of PS5-only games is still so short that returnal coming to PC in a week puts a significant dent in it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

the list of PS5-only games is still so short that returnal coming to PC in a week puts a significant dent in it

Yeah I realize its a joke but drat if it doesn't ring a bit true. I really like my PS5 but it hasn't had much use.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Honestly it has enough for me right now having only just got one, mostly because I don't want to wait a year for FF16 to come to PC.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OK Arc 770 installed. The card is loving odd as poo poo. It does loving weird poo poo installing it. I could not get it to work right with the built in 13700k GFX. Had to disable the internal GFX.. windows wont load the loving gui with it enabled. Latest drivers as of yesterday of course. Having said that... I have noticed some odd color shifting clicking in and out of Chrome/Edge. I assume the Arc control was loving with poo poo so I deleted that poo poo show.

Here is something I found out that is definitely loving with me. I use a 4k Samsung monitor for my main monitor and the Intel 770 has no actual HDMI out. It does have a Displayport with a converter chip to HDMI, so it has a port but its not a native HDMI port so you get NO color depth or bit controls. loving what?! okay..

So the good poo poo, AV1 encoding is BOSS as gently caress. Also it does AV1 decoding, so doing 8k 60fps, no probs at all. I can also realtime encode into av1 using Handbrake, Davinci, OBS, etc. It's next level poo poo and that is why i boguht the thing.

3D gaming.. I don't do that poo poo anymore but I have doom loaded and it got 100-120fps @4k ultra settings. Nice I guess.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Taima posted:

Uh I mean, are you sure your computer is toast? What's wrong with it?

Feels kinda hardcore to just go oh my toy is broken better spend stupid high amounts of money for a relatively trash card because it's 2023 and everything blows (unless you truly feel like you want an entirely new device)

Unless you have gently caress you 4090 money, the best way to NOT get owned right now is buying used. If you're looking at spending $799, you should give some serious thought to a used 3080 3090.
3090s routinely going for $750-$800 right now.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I was really hoping the R9 7900 XT would finally be my upgrade for my GTX 1070 but apparently AMD drivers have been utterly broken for VR for a year at this point and nobody really talks about that. It really sucks. And I just can't accept paying $1300 for an RTX 4080 so my GTX 1070 is just going truck on for another generation.

EDIT: At this point I should probably look into re-pasting the cooler on my GPU.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Nalin posted:

I was really hoping the R9 7900 XT would finally be my upgrade for my GTX 1070 but apparently AMD drivers have been utterly broken for VR for a year at this point and nobody really talks about that. It really sucks. And I just can't accept paying $1300 for an RTX 4080 so my GTX 1070 is just going truck on for another generation.

EDIT: At this point I should probably look into re-pasting the cooler on my GPU.

If you're fine with 7900XT levels of performance you can get a 4070ti. It's a hundred bucks cheaper and the same performance per dollar in raster performances, but you get better RT and VR will work properly.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

BurritoJustice posted:

If you're fine with 7900XT levels of performance you can get a 4070ti. It's a hundred bucks cheaper and the same performance per dollar in raster performances, but you get better RT and VR will work properly.

I completely forgot the 4070 Ti became a thing. Its something I'll consider.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Yeah I was just going to say this.

I don’t think the 7900xt is a good value at all.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Based on the recs in this thread I ended up getting a POWERCOLO RED DEVIL RX6750XT for $450 from Microcenter.

I haven’t opened it yet, so I can still return it before I put the system together, but everything I’m reading says that it does 1440p gaming really well and is a better value than a 4070ti (which I was originally looking at for $599) so long as I don’t care about DLSS or RT or VR and yea, I don’t really care about those three things. RT is nice to look at but I prefer raw performance, I always turn it off on my PS5.

It’s been 20 years since I used an AMD/ATI card, my last build using one had the legendary 9800pro.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Aww man, booting my computer today made a bunch of weird squares pop up on my screen once I got into windows, and then eventually the entire computer just force rebooted. I hope the 3090 I bought at like, peak bubble isn't dying :ohdear:

After a reboot and reinstalling drivers (to be safe), I haven't seen any more corruption. And running furmark for like 30 minutes didn't bring it back so I'm hoping it was just a driver issue/driver crashing or something randomly.

I guess worst case I have to RMA the 3090 to MSI, and maybe I'll just take the opportunity to upgrade to a 4090 and sell the 3090 cheap after it comes back, though I guess then I'd have to run another power cable? My current 3090 uses 2x8 pin, but I think I need 3x for a 4090? That'll be a bit of a pain for sure

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Or wait to see what the 4070 looks like in terms of perf/cost. That's probably a couple months away. I'd imagine that would be a very good VR option.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Harik posted:

3090s routinely going for $750-$800 right now.

I can dig that. Listen to this charming fellow :)

Nalin posted:

Wait, are the prices going up on 4000 cards? I got my 4090 for $1599- are you saying the 4080 is 1300 now?! What is going on...

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
i'm giving serious thought to a used 3090 because AMD compute is absolute dogshit and everything that isn't a flagship from nVidia is RAM starved. (for compute. Don't care about games). used 3080 12gb is nearly as much for some reason, price/performance aren't really related even in the used market.

I'm using a 3060ti and don't have enough ram for large models. A 3060-non-ti would have been better for me but I had to make a snap decision on what was available after staying up all night in line at a best buy, lol.

AMD is much more generous with onboard ram but between CUDA lockin being a thing and near-zero driver/library support they're unusable for compute. I've ranted about this before here so you can hit [?] instead of repeating it.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i've noticed that evga 3090's go for pretty cheap on ebay, might be something worth looking into for you

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

So I'm going on a business trip soon and have developed a Hitman Freelancer addition. I have a laptop with a 3050 GPU running Linux. I was able to get Hitman to install and running via Proton easily enough at around 60 FPS in the hideout. I thought it was interesting though that it does not allow me to use DLSS but is fine with XeSS and FSR2.

Just for a quick benchmark in the HO running in performance mode native was 60, XeSS was 80ish while FSR2 ran at 150 FPS.

So thanks AMD!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i think you may still need to use proton experimental for DLSS to work? it's definitely supposed to be supported but i'm not sure if it's hit the main channel yet

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

repiv posted:

i think you may still need to use proton experimental for DLSS to work? it's definitely supposed to be supported but i'm not sure if it's hit the main channel yet

Experimental didn't work for me at all, just a black screen. Worked perfectly on Proton 7 though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Saw this on FB so it could def be a scam, but this site is selling a 20 lp Rolling Stones box set for $29+$6 shipping. https://havenothingus.com/products/the-rolling-stones-studio-albums-vinyl-collection-1971-2016-ltd.edt.-20-lp-new-

I'd offer to be the guinea pig, but gently caress the Stones.

e: durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, waddya mean this isn't the vinyl thread

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 6, 2023

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Saw this on FB so it could def be a scam, but this site is selling a 20 lp Rolling Stones box set for $29+$6 shipping. https://havenothingus.com/products/the-rolling-stones-studio-albums-vinyl-collection-1971-2016-ltd.edt.-20-lp-new-

I doubt 20 LPs could hold 4k textures for a single hitman level, seems pretty fail for a 2023 build

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The Rendering Stones Low Polygon

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

lol if they took PayPal I’d buy it. They don’t though so I’m not gonna take the chance

I wonder what thread this was meant for though lol

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

lol if they took PayPal I’d buy it. They don’t though so I’m not gonna take the chance

I wonder what thread this was meant for though lol

lol, first time I've managed that. this was supposed to go to the vinyl thread in nmd

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

lol, first time I've managed that. this was supposed to go to the vinyl thread in nmd

Got it. Well I might have to follow that thread to see if anyone is the canary lol

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
How many vinyl records would it take to store Forspoken

edit: of course somebody has tried something similar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqz65_YfcJg

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 6, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Got it. Well I might have to follow that thread to see if anyone is the canary lol

Couple of years ago in the thread we all went nuts and bought the 21 album Garth Brooks set that was $18 on Amazon. To be fair that one was 3 different versions of 7 albums though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Farecoal posted:

How many vinyl records would it take to store Forspoken

edit: of course somebody has tried something similar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqz65_YfcJg

Based on 5 minutes of googling, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000 to 10,000. Depends on the signal to noise ratio of the system