Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i am never not looking up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Jimbot posted:

I think Blizzard should just cut the crap and move Zen to DPS.

if there's one thing everyone knows, it's that there aren't enough dps heroes and too many support heroes

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This also might be a console thing but to me sym turrets exist to make an opponent have to turn around and aim at an awkward angle so my team shoots them in the back. I otherwise just use them as a means of doing chip damage to flankers. The carwash and kill thing is cool and good fun but I get a lot less utility out of it overall.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Try to position yourself so genji isn't able to take isolated 1v1 duels against you or your teammates which tend to favor genji a lot and let him easily get away.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rick posted:

This also might be a console thing but to me sym turrets exist to make an opponent have to turn around and aim at an awkward angle so my team shoots them in the back. I otherwise just use them as a means of doing chip damage to flankers. The carwash and kill thing is cool and good fun but I get a lot less utility out of it overall.

I'm on PC and it works out about the same for Symmetra turrets because enemies can snap shot them in a second. Putting them near health packs to catch already weakened enemies or on flank routes to notify when they're being used ends up getting more mileage as a result. I've tried the turrets against Genji because on paper the non-deflectable damage and slow is perfect but in practice it doesn't work.

comedyblissoption posted:

Try to position yourself so genji isn't able to take isolated 1v1 duels against you or your teammates which tend to favor genji a lot and let him easily get away.

No poo poo. I'm asking for advice dealing with Genjis that win 1v2 or 1v3 duels and assuming that I'm going to have to be the one to counter-pick because what are the supports going to do, go Brigitte? Maybe they should but it never happens.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

If a genji is winning 1v3s then they are highly technically skilled and there's probably not a ton you can do.

However, as someone who can't aim for poo poo, I've had good results from pharah, junkrat, and moira.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you're getting backfilled into a game where genji is rinsing your team 1v3 then lmao, there's probably a reason that game is getting backfilled

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Jack Trades posted:

a teleporter ... throw your turrets through it.

What the heck?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

They should let you shoot through a friendly teleport.
Junkrat just running around a teleport lobbing grenades everywhere.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
hooking people through a tele yesss

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Valiantman posted:

What the heck?

Sym's Teleport will have any friendly non-projectile entity teleport through it automatically. Such as Sym's and Torb's Turrets and even Dva's Ult.

On rare occasions when my friend plays Tank and I'm DPS, we always do the Sym + Dva combo where I teleport his ult behind enemy lines. It works every time.

Jack Trades posted:

This is the peak of my achievements in Overwatch (I'm the Symmetra).

https://youtu.be/cPnKKkjje80

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

junkrat concussion mines is the least aim intensive way to do damage to genji to force him to retreat and works through deflect

a lot of genji's ability to evade enemy shots is people don't try to predict his movements and low sensitivities make it really hard to aim at him when he's close to you

if you think "he's going to double jump he's going to double jump" when he double jumps you're going to start hitting him way faster instead of have sloth reactions

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
as good as 'drop your sensitivity' is as advice for a lot of people starting out, it 100% became a meme and it's absolutely possible to have your sensitivity so low that you simply are unable to fight if it requires regularly doing 180s

if genji and tracer are in the meta and your sensitivity doesn't let you reasonably comfortably do 180s, you're at a significant disadvantage

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

as good as 'drop your sensitivity' is as advice for a lot of people starting out, it 100% became a meme and it's absolutely possible to have your sensitivity so low that you simply are unable to fight if it requires regularly doing 180s

if genji and tracer are in the meta and your sensitivity doesn't let you reasonably comfortably do 180s, you're at a significant disadvantage

Your sensitivity should be as low as possible while still allowing you to do a 180 degree turn with one motion. The bigger the mousepad you have the more you can lower your sensitivity.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
people are out there buying 4' mousepads and taking that literally lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I used to think that way and I think it applies to tacfps but not to other fps games

for games like ow, you should set your sensitivity as fast as possible while you still have long range precise flicking and tracking. if i graphed precision for myself, I only gain a few % of accuracy drastically lowering sensitivity from 25 cm/360 to like 70 cm/360. precision starts dropping off a cliff at faster than 25 cm/360.

even though a lower sensitivity makes the target bigger on your mousepad, it also proportionally moves the target that much farther away on your mousepad. even though the margin for error for tracking is wider, you have to move your hand a lot faster to keep up.

It's actually harder to aim up close or react to counter-strafes (due to inertia physics of your arm/wrist) the lower your sensitivity is. your movement is worse and sluggish. you have less awareness and clear less corners because it's such a chore to look around. you reset your mouse way more. you have to use more arm (slower, less precise) to aim than your wrists/fingers.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
A lot of people take csgo's cm/360 as gospel ignoring it's a pretty unique game that revolves around tiny headshot hitboxes, controlling recoil and minimal tracking requirements compared to other games.

But at the end of the day just do what is comfortable for you, all of you are old, improving your aim by 5% isn't worth loving up your wrists.

I'm on the slightly larger end. Think it's around 50. But i come from a cs background and I like my cm/360 to be the same across all games I play and I play a pretty varied list of FPS games, so it needs to be comfortable in overwatch, arena shooters and tactical shooters.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I would use different sensitivities in different games

it takes like a few seconds max to get used to a different practical sensitivity once you're accustomed to switching. aiming in fps games is extremely a hand-eye coordination thing

it does take a while to get used to a practical fast or slow sens if you've not used it before or in a while though

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Stuff like flicking is a lot of muscle memory though. And I just cannot be arsed to sit in training for 10-20 minutes before every session to re-aquire it.

I was happy to do this when I was 17, I'm now pushing 40. My chances of getting to the world cup are well past.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did Baptiste's healing orbs have a larger area at some point? Because I've landed shots right next to people and nothing happens. They should just change it to a direct line instead of having an arc if the area of effect is so small. drat good healer, though.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Jimbot posted:

Did Baptiste's healing orbs have a larger area at some point? Because I've landed shots right next to people and nothing happens. They should just change it to a direct line instead of having an arc if the area of effect is so small. drat good healer, though.

I don't remember if the area was nerfed, but year or 2 ago they reduced his splash healing from it and increased the direct hit healing.
It was on the same time they reduced Immortality fields effectiveness by reducing the HP limit from 25% -> 10% left.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Jimbot posted:

Did Baptiste's healing orbs have a larger area at some point? Because I've landed shots right next to people and nothing happens.

The range of any AoE effect in the game is based on how many skins you've purchased

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
I thought this was a nice Spilo video on how stats can be just another thing hiding the issue with your play.

https://youtu.be/eD_D9hi1X5w

My first reaction was “man, it feels like if he screws up on Tank, that’s it, fight over. Tank mistakes might be worth double.” After sitting on it for a minute, his examples are cases where he screwed up a play or made a bad decision, but the cascade (except in perhaps one case) was additionally because his teammates died first, made their own crucial bad decision, or couldn’t make a play either.

I wonder what will happen next season with role-based matchmaking. I know people are still going to say “tank diff” or some other role diff, but I wonder if it’ll effect the frequency at all. If they add this and people still feel like the game snowballs too hard still…

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Proven posted:

I thought this was a nice Spilo video on how stats can be just another thing hiding the issue with your play.

https://youtu.be/eD_D9hi1X5w

My first reaction was “man, it feels like if he screws up on Tank, that’s it, fight over. Tank mistakes might be worth double.” After sitting on it for a minute, his examples are cases where he screwed up a play or made a bad decision, but the cascade (except in perhaps one case) was additionally because his teammates died first, made their own crucial bad decision, or couldn’t make a play either.

I wonder what will happen next season with role-based matchmaking. I know people are still going to say “tank diff” or some other role diff, but I wonder if it’ll effect the frequency at all. If they add this and people still feel like the game snowballs too hard still…

Honestly, I have a feeling very little will change. The game is most likely going to be permanently clown shoes when it comes to matchmaking for probably 75%+ of players. On top of any number of problems with the system itself not working, mixing players from different tiers into one game to lower queue times, SR and MMR being different, etc etc, many fundamental pieces of the game just don't click for most of the people playing (even in ranks up to plat and dia), and probably never will.

There's too much genre confusion, and 5v5 is really starting to show how terrible it is now that the fresh coat of paint put on years of stagnant game is starting to wear. When you think about it, the game can no longer feel "balanced", because a lot of the original design was done with any hero in any role being roughly balanced against every other hero in every other role (with some having specific counters to others of course). Now that tanks have been overtuned to fit 5v5, literally the entire game is out of whack. Sure, that's a direction you can take the game, but they didn't change enough to make it work. When literally everything in the game from maps, to ability numbers, to character move rates, etc for 6+ years is tuned around that kind of balance, you can't expect it to work out all that well unless you rebuild the entire game from scratch.

I'm probably not going to buy the next season's pass and uninstall the game for a while. It's gotten progressively worse over the last few months when you'd think people would adapt and learn how to go with the tide of changes moving from OW1 to OW2, but ultimately have not.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ow2 is better than post-sigma ow1 b/c double shield doesn't exist. release ow1 was the best state because there was only one shield character and the most healing output you could do was mercy beam

for w/e reason blizz wanted to lean hard into role trinity and this is what they chose to solve stacking shields :shrug:

Jimbot posted:

i think small stairstep-like changes in elevation can block aoe effects, but other than that I don't think I've ever had a no-reg

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Proven posted:

the first 2 examples spilo gave in that video are where his teammates popped off and gave his team a huge advantage or evened the fight and then spilo immediately fed and threw it away with poor decision making

I wonder if there's a good one or two word callout for a healer not focusing attention on supporting the main tank b/c they're trying to make a play elsewhere

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

the first 2 examples spilo gave in that video are where his teammates popped off and gave his team a huge advantage or evened the fight and then spilo immediately fed and threw it away with poor decision making

I wonder if there's a good one or two word callout for a healer not focusing attention on supporting the main tank b/c they're trying to make a play elsewhere

I think the industry term for that is "healslut".

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the industry standard term nowadays is "main character syndrome"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Vermain posted:

the industry standard term nowadays is "main character syndrome"

Non supports: "Supports can't just be healbots, they have to also do damage and make plays"
Also non supports: "Why aren't you healbotting the main tank???"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I would use different sensitivities in different games

This is wild to me. I've been using the same sense in every game, which is "faster than cs players" but still "slow as poo poo" and it's my preferred way.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Non supports: "Supports can't just be healbots, they have to also do damage and make plays"
Also non supports: "Why aren't you healbotting the main tank???"

Imo, the big problem with this is that your "playmaking" with characters like Ana or Bap should really be a couple abilities in the right spot and then you should get right back to healbotting so your team can keep pressure. Most players don't really know the difference. I've had people complain i'm not pushing up when i'm stood directly next to an ana while i'm at 50hp and they're "making plays" (shooting the enemy tank). Its just blindness on part of the people complaining and the healers, but nobody cares to look, or watch a replay.

Genji v Torb chat

You're actually the best counter, if you're on defence, put your turret out of the enemy teams LOS but covering your supports, genji will absolutely have to deal with it first, which gives everyone else time. Even at masters+ this fucks up genji's because they can be pressured while dealing with the turret.

The other thing is that you don't have to hard commit to the genji fight. Go poke him and if he uses his dash/reflect on you to stay in, then you're free to pop your overcharge/E and kill him for it. Even better if your turret respawns during this time.

If he's winning and he hasn't popped abilities, again, pop your overcharge and just leave. You're faster than him, you have armour and ideally you're doing this near enough to your team (which you should be, you're playing protector here) that you can escape to heals.

Finally, if he's literally just murdering everyone over and over again, just shrug, do your best and go next. Sometimes people are just better, time to practice.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I would even use different sensitivities in the same game (i.e. overwatch)!

having a fast sens on rein or winston while having a slower aiming sens on mccree just makes sense

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

dogstile posted:

This is wild to me. I've been using the same sense in every game, which is "faster than cs players" but still "slow as poo poo" and it's my preferred way.

I'd probably make your eyes twitch then. I use different sens for different heroes in Overwatch. Tracer being slightly slower than most of the others.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I used to think slower sens was the end all be all -- but then I tried doing a faster sens and good lord you have way better aim up close with a faster than counterstrike sens and your movement is so much better

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Slower sens is mostly just a thing because default sense for games is always ridiculously high, they assume you're using a 15 inch mousepad or w/e.

You should go lower, just not as low as pro's, mostly because you're not a pro. They can get away with it in even overwatch because they position well enough for it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Season 3 trailer is out, nothing that exciting, the new map they've already shown off and a bunch of overpriced skins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNX1wV9UfL4

Invisible Man Cassidy is genius though, I will admit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I used to think slower sens was the end all be all -- but then I tried doing a faster sens and good lord you have way better aim up close with a faster than counterstrike sens and your movement is so much better

this was also my experience, it feels straight up impossible to track a genji at <2m if you're running on CSGO sens and doing quick 180s to check for flanks is so much more onerous if you have to hurl your entire arm to do it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JQ and Kiriko Mythic skins are just not good. At least Genji's felt like it was still Genji but cooler.

And this Kiriko skin is the one that's supposed to make the "community go wild for" according to the lead director?!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Alright, all those skins are whatever but I think I need to start getting good at Doomfist for that Saitama skin.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also what the gently caress with them not being able to do a cool Moira skin? She's such an easy visual concept to work with but they keep giving her absolute trash skins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The Glam skin is perfect