Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

To explain further, 'Seppo' is Aussie slang abbreviation for 'Septic Tank' which is rhyming slang for 'Yank' which is an Aussie slang abbreviation for 'Yankee' which is slang for 'American'

you're seppoing my chain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Grassy Knowles posted:

you're seppoing my gravy

Am I slanging right?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I learned today on these very forums that Alaska is so frickin' big that it has an "unorganized borough" consisting of all the land not contained within any of its official boroughs, that is itself larger in area than any other state in the nation.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

turns out I hate the smell of holly berry

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Captain Hygiene posted:

I learned today on these very forums that Alaska is so frickin' big that it has an "unorganized borough" consisting of all the land not contained within any of its official boroughs, that is itself larger in area than any other state in the nation.

It's so big it even contains the opposite of Alaska.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"Opera? Yecch satan!" - Seppo

"Half-forced I've drank wine." - Seppo

"I waved just to gently caress around." - Seppo

"Germany is a poo poo country." - Seppo

"I drove a snowmobile into a tree." - Seppo

"I'll be resting or drinking." - Seppo

"500 000 in hand and the javelin will fly 100 metres." - Seppo

"Leaving for Atlanta I decided that I won't loving speak a word of English on the whole trip - I'll have to get by with Finnish." - Seppo

"Now throw, so I can go get a beer." - Seppo

You forgot "Kiskaise niin, että vittu repeää"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

hawowanlawow posted:

turns out I hate the smell of holly berry

Leno is a fan tho

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
edit: nvm

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I just realized I have an extra bone in my foot. I mean I always knew my feet were janked but I didn't realize how janked. Apparently about 2.5% of people have it. Accessory Navicular Syndrome

No wonder ski boots are so uncomfortable!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I also have that mutation and custom orthotics -- made by a lab using scans of your feet from an orthopedist, not "custom" by Dr. Scholl's -- could be a huge life improvement for you. They were for me when it came to high-impact stuff like running, as well wearing dress shoes. I can't say if it'll do anything for ski boot comfort though.

... I think I've now pitched custom orthotics in every thread. They were that helpful!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I don't think I have an *extra* foot-bone, but I can make my ankle bones shift with a popping noise, and now my daughter can too. So I don't know what that's about.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I have about 26 fewer foot bones than the average person.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lucky

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Instant weight savings! Bones are heavy!

I’m slowly replacing my bones with metal so that’s a zero-sum proposition.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Apparently Valentines day ISN'T short for Richie Valens Time day. Also I am apparently the only one who celebrates it by listening to La Bamba all day on repeat. I'm so embarrassed. :blush:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I have about 26 fewer foot bones than the average person.

Are you missing feet?

I have a clicky rib. On my right side, about 2/3 toward my chest on my bottom rib I can press my rib in, and it'll click and stay locked in a slightly bent position. I can take a deep breath to make it pop back to normal. It makes a sound like... like if you had a stick, and you covered it a paper bag, and then broke it in half underwater.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

credburn posted:

Are you missing feet?

He was missing a leg a couple months ago, but thankfully he found it in a dumpster.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
"Better Days" is apparently not a song by Sublime, somehow.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I realized most people pronounce bury as berry. I'm pretty sure I did too for most of my life until I was telling some one about the electronic music act Burial and "berry-al" sounded really dumb to me. In retrospect I was having an American Movie moment, like when coven sounded too much like oven, because everyone seems to be fine with berry-al. I wouldn't have thought twice about my new pronunciation but my girlfriend keeps telling me I sound like a cowboy or old prospector saying it like that but now I can't stop. I'll just have to learn some synonyms maybe.

e- oh yeah I say it like it rhymes with curry if that wasn't obvious

Snowy has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Feb 5, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Trabant posted:

Citizen King were fantastic

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Snowy posted:

I realized most people pronounce bury as berry. I'm pretty sure I did too for most of my life until I was telling some one about the electronic music act Burial and "berry-al" sounded really dumb to me. In retrospect I was having an American Movie moment, like when coven sounded too much like oven, because everyone seems to be fine with berry-al. I wouldn't have thought twice about my new pronunciation but my girlfriend keeps telling me I sound like a cowboy or old prospector saying it like that but now I can't stop. I'll just have to learn some synonyms maybe.

e- oh yeah I say it like it rhymes with curry if that wasn't obvious

Ol Man Jenkins caught dysent'ry down in Panner's Crick and a course that turnt into fever and such since that ol shack a his ain't got no terlet or a ruff neither. Poor feller died and we all had to up an burry him up top a boot hill

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Baron von Eevl posted:

He was missing a leg a couple months ago, but thankfully he found it in a dumpster.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yes but literally.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Here's my latest made up etymology:

To "stave off" something means to keep it at bay with one or more long sticks, or "staves"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

flavor.flv posted:

To "stave off" something means to keep it at bay with one or more long sticks, or "staves"

But that is the etymology

https://archives.cjr.org/language_corner/language_corner_022315.php

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, I'm pretty smart I gotta say

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Trabant posted:

Haha I had this revelation after an argument with a friend a few years ago. I seem to even have like a Berenstain Bears moment because I absolutely recall like a Punk Hitz of the 90s compilation or something and in my memory Better Days is on there by Sublime. I think I get it confused with What I Got for some reason.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

I'm staving off right now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah with your quarterstaff

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah with your quarterstaff

Joke's on you, it's actually a buck-and-a-quarter quarterstaff

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I pay my staff more than that. On the quarterdeck.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Joke's on you, it's actually a buck-and-a-quarter quarterstaff

Very droll

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I already knew that the sculptures sitting on top of churches that people usually think of as gargoyles are technically grotesques, gargoyles are the ones poking out the side that are pretty much decorative water spouts:

PYFTYJR: they're called gargoyles because they gargle water (or is at least derived from the same base word)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Today I just realized Cologne Cathedral was built in 1983!

Thought it was way older!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Today I just realized Cologne Cathedral was built in 1983!

Thought it was way older!

Either I’m missing a joke here or you’ve read some wack poo poo but the construction of the huge rear end Kölner Dom was originally started in the 1200s, halted in the 1500s and resumed again in the 1800s, needing a total of nearly 400 years of work to complete, plus various renovations etc. in the last few centuries since

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There was just a stone in that pic above that said "1983"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That's a part number, they mail ordered the cathedral as a flat pack kit

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's a 13th century advertisement for a manuscript called 1983. The sequel was more popular.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I was really hoping to find the story behind that but my research has failed me thus far.

That's a part number, they mail ordered the cathedral as a flat pack kit

This mental image has given me many chuckles, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
the cathedral's been under constant repair and upkeep and that extremely specific bit of stone probably got fixed in 1983. mystery not big enough to solve.