Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

By popular demand posted:

Just wait, Musky is going to send an unrequested 'mini sub'

Could be worse, from Jared Fogle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:eyepop:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I once drunkenly smoked in my college towns McDonald's upstairs area populated exclusively by wasted students and nobody gave a gently caress. It felt kinda cool at the time.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It occurred to me recently that while my kids will never hear the question “smoking or non?” when being seated at a restaurant, the question must have been hella progressive at the time. I should see if there are contemporary opinion pieces lamenting the need for spaces free* of totally fine cigarette smoke.

I remember being a new smoker just as smoking in businesses was being phased out. We went to a Waffle House in Indiana on the last day before they banned smoking there just to experience the novelty of eating and lighting up. You could smoke in bars that were willing to eat the fine, but that didn’t last either.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Oh jeez I can hear that foil ashtray. I am old

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Chrpno posted:

Lol same

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LawfulWaffle posted:

It occurred to me recently that while my kids will never hear the question “smoking or non?” when being seated at a restaurant, the question must have been hella progressive at the time. I should see if there are contemporary opinion pieces lamenting the need for spaces free* of totally fine cigarette smoke.

I remember being a new smoker just as smoking in businesses was being phased out. We went to a Waffle House in Indiana on the last day before they banned smoking there just to experience the novelty of eating and lighting up. You could smoke in bars that were willing to eat the fine, but that didn’t last either.
There's a scene in Friends where a guy lights up a cigar in a restaurant and refuses to put it out unless the other customers verbally complain. This is to show how cool and mature he is.

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness

Pretend I have that toilet paper comic on hand

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Frank Frank posted:

I tried to actually play it with my dad as a partner and he screamed at me for bidding wrong

Sounds like a standup father

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

koshmar posted:

That video shows 2 different people who dress up like animals and crawl out of holes, it's the guy they actually interview, the mole man, not the giant rat man.

That tiktok channel has tons of videos of people swimming out of that weird hole.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7190890540362140971

That sure is a... Post I guess. Wow.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Chrpno posted:

I can still smell and taste it a bit in my mouth.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Queen Gnome posted:

Pretend I have that toilet paper comic on hand

I remember when this was posted on reddit and for some reason the overwhelming consensus was that you'd get piss all over the toilet paper roll. You know, because you normally piss all over the front of your toilet.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

People sometimes forget that there was time where you could smoke almost anywhere, except maybe the doctor's office and schools. You could smoke in grocery stores, malls, restaurants, cars and for a while even movie theaters. You could have two parents smoking in a car with the window closed and any complaints from the kids was merely noise. Same goes for get-togethers at somebody's house. The whole house would fill with smoke so thick it would make your eyes water but nothing could or would be done about it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I wonder if there's more or less lead in that glass ashtray than these:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Tarkus posted:

. The whole house would fill with smoke so thick it would make your eyes water but nothing could or would be done about it.

My grandma's house for any family get together

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tarkus posted:

People sometimes forget that there was time where you could smoke almost anywhere, except maybe the doctor's office and schools. You could smoke in grocery stores, malls, restaurants, cars and for a while even movie theaters. You could have two parents smoking in a car with the window closed and any complaints from the kids was merely noise. Same goes for get-togethers at somebody's house. The whole house would fill with smoke so thick it would make your eyes water but nothing could or would be done about it.

I did a tour of duty as a Geek Squad in home computer repair back in the day. Nothing sucked rear end worse than going into one of those homes and having to clean this:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

You can scratch "schools" off the list!

As an Elder Goon :corsair:, I can tell you that my high school had a designated smoking area. It was in a courtyard fully surrounded by classrooms, and if you were legally old enough to buy tobacco (16 in VA at the time), you could head out for a smoke with your pals.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

MrUnderbridge posted:

You can scratch "schools" off the list!

As an Elder Goon :corsair:, I can tell you that my high school had a designated smoking area. It was in a courtyard fully surrounded by classrooms, and if you were legally old enough to buy tobacco (16 in VA at the time), you could head out for a smoke with your pals.

We had the same thing back in the 90's, a designated set of smoking exits where we could smoke. We had to smoke off school property in junior high though but at one school I went to it was just across the street where everyone would smoke. Speaking of 16 being the smoking age, when I was 15 the smoking age got raised to 18 a month before I turned 16. It was a real piss off.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cartoon Man posted:

I did a tour of duty as a Geek Squad in home computer repair back in the day. Nothing sucked rear end worse than going into one of those homes and having to clean this:

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Looks like a recreation of some ancient city upon a hilltop.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Dune. Desert planet. Arrakis.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Liquid Chicken posted:

Looks like a recreation of some ancient city upon a hilltop.

Lol, I didn't look at it closely, and thought it was exactly that as a joke comparison :negative:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

"...take back one kadam to honor the Hebrew God whose Ark this is!"

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Caedus posted:

I fix office chairs for a living and I'll be honest: if you spent less than 300$ on your chair then you're gambling with your rear end. Decent chairs are designed in a way that there's some physical part between you and the cylinder and cheap chairs... are not.

I have an X-Chair X1 that work bought me and it's great except I want the backrest to be able to adjust up one more tick. There's four levels, and five would be perfect. Any suggestions for a nice adjustable mesh-style chair with lumbar support that can support people taller than like 5'9"?

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Tarkus posted:

I did a brief work experience thing at a company in Japan in 2002, and they had a smoking table. In the open plan office. Just a table where you went to smoke, and this was fine and definitely helping.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

more falafel please posted:

I have an X-Chair X1 that work bought me and it's great except I want the backrest to be able to adjust up one more tick. There's four levels, and five would be perfect. Any suggestions for a nice adjustable mesh-style chair with lumbar support that can support people taller than like 5'9"?

Computer chair thread.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

They say of the acropolis where the Parthenon is...

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I didn't look at it closely, and thought it was exactly that as a joke comparison :negative:

:same: lol

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

We used to take those ashtrays for home use.

Having grown up in Virginia, I never thought they would ban smoking entirely in restaurants and bars, but they did about 15 years ago. The pool hall I frequented built a glass-enclosed smoking room right in the middle of the place. Later they took the thing down and moved it to the front of the place at one of the exits and that became the non-smoking section and you could smoke in the rest of the pool hall. There were a few places that tried to get tricky like that but I imagine that's kind of died down now.

People seem to feel free to vape pretty much everywhere now and I think a lot fewer people are taking up smoking and instead doing that but that's anecdotal.

The last office I worked at that had indoor smoking was the NRA HQ. I temped there for a week or so in probably the 90s and there was a smoking lounge that looked like it used to be a kitchen/break-room. It was small and quite packed a lot of the time.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

rydiafan posted:

They say of the acropolis where the Pentium is...

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Murdstone posted:

We used to take those ashtrays for home use.

Having grown up in Virginia, I never thought they would ban smoking entirely in restaurants and bars, but they did about 15 years ago. The pool hall I frequented built a glass-enclosed smoking room right in the middle of the place. Later they took the thing down and moved it to the front of the place at one of the exits and that became the non-smoking section and you could smoke in the rest of the pool hall. There were a few places that tried to get tricky like that but I imagine that's kind of died down now.

People seem to feel free to vape pretty much everywhere now and I think a lot fewer people are taking up smoking and instead doing that but that's anecdotal.

The last office I worked at that had indoor smoking was the NRA HQ. I temped there for a week or so in probably the 90s and there was a smoking lounge that looked like it used to be a kitchen/break-room. It was small and quite packed a lot of the time.

Vaping is pretty common now, I think it's better than smoking but people should be more considerate about it. What kind of bugs me is that now that smoking isn't as prevalent, the anti-smoking groups feel the need to justify their existence through framing vaping as being exactly like smoking and thus lobbying for another regressive tax to fund their operation.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Cartoon Man posted:

Ventblockers

https://www.theregister.com/Print/2010/11/26/ventblockers_2/

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

I love classical architectures

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

rydiafan posted:

They say of the acropolis where the Parthenon is...

What’d they say? What’d they say?!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm sorry but the worst thing to clean out is a computer/console that has become home to a colony of cockroaches :barf:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This is loving what the loving gently caress gently caress

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
wow that is quite a post OP

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

that's p cursed and all, but i don't think it was good to share. take one for the team next time and keep it to yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Forget the ashtrays, grab a gold-plated cocaine spoon