Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

mischief posted:

We like the Garlic & Árbol from Bravado Spice for popcorn, especially with a ton of good butter on it. It's not terribly hot but it pairs really well with the sweetness of popcorn.

Goya's Sazonador Total is surprisingly good on popcorn as well but isn't really in the hot sauce spirit of this thread. It is however cheap and available anywhere and also serves to be basically cheat mode on sous vide proteins.

I'm sure the msg helps it along. I always keep some Accent handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Tajín is what I usually grab. No need for salt. It’s not hot though, if you want extra heat I’d just add some ground super hot peppers with it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The trick to popcorn specifically is to grind it really really fine. They sell "popcorn salt" that's essentially a coffee grinder of salt. Sea salt, msg, garlic powder, chilies, should do it

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, I keep the filtered solids from when I make smooth hot sauces that I dehydrate and use as super hot dust. Just be careful to not breath it, it's not the happy sort of burning. I'm the only one who eats it, and never the only person who's eating the popcorn. Maybe I should use it and keep all the popcorn for myself.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Tiger Sauce is good poured over a block of softened cream cheese for people to dip crackers, chips, and vegetables into.

drat, I always wondered what it was for after trying it. That's a perfect use.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you're not gonna find them in the grocery store but you can grow habanero from seed that've had the heat bred out of them but retain the flavor.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They should sell those in stores as Re-Habs

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

uber_stoat posted:

you're not gonna find them in the grocery store but you can grow habanero from seed that've had the heat bred out of them but retain the flavor.

I think you can achieve this even within one generation but you have to take special care to make sure you pollinate the habenero flower with a less spicy one like a bell pepper or jalapeno and label the bud when you do so that you can harvest and plant the seeds from that specific pepper.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They should sell those in stores as Re-Habs

To be fair "Habanada" was pretty drat clever.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

Mods.

They’re called Habanada and I dislike them so much despite the name. They’re hybrids and while I get it, I also hate that this is a thing that’s happened. Just grow one of the myriad of great tasting sweet peppers instead. Thin walled heatless peppers are not super useful for cooking and I hope they disappear into the shadows. They’re even less useful for hot sauce because of the weight of pepper per area of the plant.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Rattlehead posted:

Can anyone recommend a spicy popcorn seasoning? I can tolerate a lot of heat, but am also looking for something flavorful.

Pretty much any of the blends from Penzeys are great on popcorn, and they're also generally salt-free so you can dial in the ratio however you like.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Our restaurant’s popcorn seasoning base was 4:2:1 salt:sugar:msg. Blend/grind that together with whatever else you want. The sky’s the limit.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

Our restaurant’s popcorn seasoning base was 4:2:1 salt:sugar:msg. Blend/grind that together with whatever else you want. The sky’s the limit.

That sounds brilliant

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Any reckonings on Cackalacky as far as if it is actually compelling or just a standard thing fronting? Secret recipes/ingredients unclear is a bit of a hard sell as I wasn't sure what to make of what I think was this bottle that showed up local of late.

https://cackalacky.com/products/cackalacky%C2%AE-pepper-sauce

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Any reckonings on Cackalacky as far as if it is actually compelling or just a standard thing fronting? Secret recipes/ingredients unclear is a bit of a hard sell as I wasn't sure what to make of what I think was this bottle that showed up local of late.

https://cackalacky.com/products/cackalacky%C2%AE-pepper-sauce

It looks to be a standard sort of vinegar hot sauce by the ingredient list. Worth the $6 to try if you can get it on the grocery shelf, shouldn't be too hot.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

It's not hot but it has a good flavor for that kind of sauce.

That Cheerwine sauce is a good sweet sauce, and if you don't live where you can get Cheerwine in the glass bottle they do a little gift set.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

After a couple recommendations in this thread, I picked up a bottle of Matouk's Calypso last night. Goddamn this stuff is good, highly recommend if you can get it easily.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I started a ferment of mango, habenero, ghost peppers, etc a couple days ago. I had some mangoes left over and so got some more habaneros and did a quick, fresh mango habanero sauce. I hadn't done that before, for whatever reason, but it turned out great and is easy to do. Highly recommended.

I used:

Mango
Habanero
Garlic
Shallot
Salt
Tiny bit of pineapple
White vinegar

Blend in the vitamix for about 5 minutes, let cool, bottle. Delicious.

Edit - If using a non-highspeed blender maybe run it through a sieve before bottling.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 20, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I picked my daughter up at preschool today and her little 4 yo friend came up to me and asked if I could make her some of the (tomato cucumber etc.) salad I sent to school for my daughters lunch. It’s by far the most validated I’ve ever felt about my cooking.

Edit: wrong cooking thread!

Anno fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 20, 2023

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Hell yeah but wtf not posting your salad technique

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Lmao wrong cooking thread. Whoops.

But.

Roast a can of chick peas @ 425 for 20 minutes in olive oil and salt. Toss in paprika, garlic powder and black pepper.

Chop cucumber, red onion and tomato to taste (for me it’s like 12 cherry tomatoes quartered, 1 medium onion and half a sizeable english cucumber). Chop a cup of fresh parsley. Mix all of it together. 1tbsp olive oil and 2tbsp balsamic vinegar (I usually add more afterwards to my bowl but more is too much for my wife and kid). Add 2tsp of crushed coriander seeds. Squeeze in one lime, chill and serve.

Anno fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 20, 2023

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

mischief posted:

That Cheerwine sauce is a good sweet sauce, and if you don't live where you can get Cheerwine in the glass bottle they do a little gift set.

holy poo poo, can't believe I'm just now hearing about this. love Cheerwine. :thumbsup:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My ferment is finally ready!

That's a quart bottle, and the whole batch. Equal parts lemon ajis from the garden (with seeds) and pineapple, fermented in a crock in the fridge for 4 months. I added enough brine and apple cider vinegar to get it to blend, honey, white pepper, pink peppercorn, sumac, MSG and lemon juice. And also a splash of vodka to stop it from exploding maybe.

I don't know if my lemon ajis were special, but they are way hotter than habaneros, and this sauce is about as spicy as straight habanero paste, but with a ton of complexity. I'm extremely satisfied but my B hole will not be.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soul Dentist posted:

My ferment is finally ready!

That's a quart bottle, and the whole batch. Equal parts lemon ajis from the garden (with seeds) and pineapple, fermented in a crock in the fridge for 4 months. I added enough brine and apple cider vinegar to get it to blend, honey, white pepper, pink peppercorn, sumac, MSG and lemon juice. And also a splash of vodka to stop it from exploding maybe.

I don't know if my lemon ajis were special, but they are way hotter than habaneros, and this sauce is about as spicy as straight habanero paste, but with a ton of complexity. I'm extremely satisfied but my B hole will not be.

That looks awesome. And your B hole will get used to it. Sumac is like a cheat codes in yellow sauces for me. MSG is just nature's cheat code distilled.

Adding the honey might make the ferment start again, but the acid from the vinegar and lemon juice should help keep it moving slowly. You probably didn't add enough alcohol to move it out of range. Keep it in the fridge and it'll go even slower. Regularly eating it will keep the pressure low enough, and those bottles should hold up to about 3.5vol of atmospheric pressure before they start having issues. The bigger issue will be the hot sauce exploding out of the top if you let the pressure build up, so just keep opening it if it does start. You probably didn't add so much honey that it'll ferment enough to burst the glass though, so if you're eating it regularly in the first month then it shouldn't be an issue. A good rule of home fermentations is to not add more fermentables at packaging unless you're pasteurizing/pressure canning, but you can always add the honey directly to the ferment too and not lose the flavor, just the sugar/sweetness.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah it was more "just had it laying around" kinda thing and it'll be refrigerated and consumed quickly. Nice to hear somebody else uses sumac on the regular, though!

P.S. Actual footage of me dividing vodka between my glass and the hot sauce:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soul Dentist posted:

Yeah it was more "just had it laying around" kinda thing and it'll be refrigerated and consumed quickly. Nice to hear somebody else uses sumac on the regular, though!

P.S. Actual footage of me dividing vodka between my glass and the hot sauce:

Oh good, we measure things the same way!

Between sumac, MSG, and sichuan peppercorn powder, I'm all in on adding things that bring that complexity of flavor. There are so many great flavors out there, sometimes you just need to go to a different grocery store and look around for a while.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

In one of the recent new dirty Jobs episodes he visits Puckerbutt, they have quite the setup and it was hilarious seeing Mike acting like he was getting maced just from a bunch of cayenne even. It’s cool how Ed hires a lot of recovering addicts like himself, peppers save lives y’all. Until you do a spicy challenge against the master himself and end up on the floor vomiting after one bite

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Mike Rowe is a scab

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Yes but the giant pepper farm was dope

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Do we have a fermentation thread? I'm pretty sure this batch is toast but this could possibly be yeast maybe? I have a ph test kit coming tomorrow.

I think the seal was loose where the bubbler sits into the fermentation jar.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 3, 2023

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's here hidden with some canning stuff.

I would scrape and taste but I'll eat almost anything, including ground beef left out overnight.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Soul Dentist posted:

It's here hidden with some canning stuff.

I would scrape and taste but I'll eat almost anything, including ground beef left out overnight.

Thanks for that, posted over there.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kaddish posted:

Do we have a fermentation thread? I'm pretty sure this batch is toast but this could possibly be yeast maybe? I have a ph test kit coming tomorrow.

I think the seal was loose where the bubbler sits into the fermentation jar.

That's toast. And it's some sort of mold. Yeast will make the brine go cloudy and not be a problem. There are many molds that can be useful in fermentation, but unless you add it yourself or you're making cheese where you're washing it, you don't want it in your ferment. Even with a low pH there's a decent chance the toxins would already be in your ferment.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Jhet posted:

That's toast. And it's some sort of mold. Yeast will make the brine go cloudy and not be a problem. There are many molds that can be useful in fermentation, but unless you add it yourself or you're making cheese where you're washing it, you don't want it in your ferment. Even with a low pH there's a decent chance the toxins would already be in your ferment.

Yeah I think we've reached a consensus. RIP

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Doing the No Repeats Challenge this year

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I grew those Zapotec Jalapeños last year. They were excellent. A little on the smaller side, but good flavor. I’d also recommend their Rayados variety.

Also, what I love about ordering from Refining Fire is that they usually toss in some random seed packets as a bonus, which gets me to try varieties I never would have picked on my own.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Foodarama is a consistent producer with great flavor. One of my favorites and such a pretty plant.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Just bagged up some seeds for sprouting.

I am like babby this year: yellow ghosts, yellow manzanos (last year's plants were stunted so never got fruit), carolina cayennes, early jalapenos, and ancho poblanos.

My audience for sauces skews away from superhots I have found, so I'm leaning into stuff with many uses.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Anyone ever tried anything by Elijah's? I once again was gifted some hot sauce this Christmas, specifically this and while they're nice I gotta say I'm not blown away by the heat. Either my tolerance is way over what it used to be or they're just not as hot as they suggest. I will say the Extreme Regret got to me a bit but the Reaper and Ghost Pepper ones weren't a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
What's a good "chocolate habanero" sauce I can order online? I fell in love with one that's sold in a very particular place in a distant country and I've been chasing that dragon since. The heat level on the chocolate habanero is about perfect - comparable heat will do. Thanks!