Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ShowTime posted:

What in the absolute gently caress is recognizable about Pittsburgh other than depression and alcoholism?

It has hills and a bunch of rivers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can’t wait for the episode where they end up in Cleveland. Padding the season with a random city every episode.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

But of course there's the moral/political angle to this topic as well, so people get fired up about in a way that wouldn't happen if the next Jurassic Park decided to show T-Rex as a cuddly herbivore or a show about the American revolution where everyone wore 20th century clothing.

Wait what's the political angle?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can’t wait for the episode where they end up in Cleveland.

"The apocalypse has actually made this place safer and much nicer"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I kind of figured that with Joel talking about the plow making a path for the tanks, that FEDRA had cleared certain highway routes.

Go off the beaten path, and you might just find endless abandoned cars blocking the way.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, what the gently caress. I was fine with last week's episode. Not really what I was expecting, but okay, that was a well-done episode of TV even if they didn't move the plot forward very much or include the main characters for more than a few minutes. But this week is even worse -- there's not even a love story, it's just an hour of hardcore gay sex with barely any dialogue other than the grunting. They haven't even made reference to the zombies or anything. Was this how the video game goes, too?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Morrow posted:

Getting forced to go through a city makes more sense out east where it's more urbanized and probably very easy for the highways to be blocked around them.

It's still kind of dumb.

I think they should add a scene of trying to go around in suburbs and meeting blockades.

That place they were getting ambushed feels like a urban commercial district. So many sniper points.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Be careful with Pittsburgh chat you might summon him

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

pittsburgh has a very recognizable skyline.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I really liked what Melanie lynskey was doing every time Kathleen was in the scene, definitely got the impression she was unhinged from the first moment and I was very glad to be rewarded with a confirmation. also excited for the future banter when Ellie points out they got ambushed because Joel rolled over and covered up his good ear

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Apparently she's an original character to the show, so it'll be interesting to see how they use her to enhance or subvert the per-existing material.

Also I'm guessing the kid Ellie shot and then Joel KO'd was her son, right? She seemed a little young to have a kid that old, but the fact that she shot the doctor after being told he was doomed even with medical aide seemed very "mom dealing with the death of her son in the most violent, reactionary way possible" to me.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't her kid, since he said his name was Brian and she was looking for some kid (Sam I think?), the one who was holed up in the room full of superman pictures. I think that's much more likely to be her son.

The last post I read was after episode 3 with someone complaining how Hollywood always forgets about gasoline breaking down over time, so lol at the first scene of this episode.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

The last post I read was after episode 3 with someone complaining how Hollywood always forgets about gasoline breaking down over time, so lol at the first scene of this episode.

The problem is that 20 year old gas is not going to work. Maybe 1 year in those kinds of conditions, tops.

But you can't have a zombie apocalypse show where everyone is riding tandem bikes to get around, it would make everyone look silly.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I'm pretty sure he wasn't her kid, since he said his name was Brian and she was looking for some kid (Sam I think?), the one who was holed up in the room full of superman pictures. I think that's much more likely to be her son.

I don't think so considering Sam is the kid at the very end with his pistol on Joel.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I suppose you could imagine that FEDRA is able to access crude oil and refine it, maybe yes maybe no, but wanderers would be stuck on horses or bicycles. Electric cars existed in 2003 but I dunno how many of them there would be or if there would be ways to charge them. Probably couldn't get you very far either, considering you wouldn't be able to recharge regularly.

It's just one of those things you need to handwave away. They could have addressed this as a major worldbuilding point, but they chose not to. It is a bit strange though when they go to such lengths to create a realistic basis for the infection and then come up with an explanation that doesn't make sense for the gas situation.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
We are solely missing in the biodiesel powered Mad Max looking bicycle post apocalypse fiction. Also sidecar!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

We are solely missing in the biodiesel powered Mad Max looking bicycle post apocalypse fiction. Also sidecar!

Speaking of Mad Max, one my favorite details from Fury Road is how they immediately anticipate all of these objections by establishing that they are getting all of their gasoline from Gas Town.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

After she shot the doctor someone should have rushed in and said “actually he could still be saved with the right treatment”

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
not that i'm impugning the realism of the show nor planning to execute anyone in a container foreseeably, but isn't there a risk of ricocheting when headshotting a guy in a metal confinement like that?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

kliras posted:

not that i'm impugning the realism of the show nor planning to execute anyone in a container foreseeably, but isn't there a risk of ricocheting when headshotting a guy in a metal confinement like that?

Probably yeah but I doubt she was in the frame of mind to consider all that.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Phenotype posted:

Okay, what the gently caress. I was fine with last week's episode. Not really what I was expecting, but okay, that was a well-done episode of TV even if they didn't move the plot forward very much or include the main characters for more than a few minutes. But this week is even worse -- there's not even a love story, it's just an hour of hardcore gay sex with barely any dialogue other than the grunting. They haven't even made reference to the zombies or anything. Was this how the video game goes, too?

Basically, but with a lot more guys and in Pittsburgh.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Koirhor posted:

Be careful with Pittsburgh chat you might summon him
Well I go by she/her for the last 4 months (though I know who you are actually talking about lol); Pittsburgh I'd say is an interesting urban setting since it's built really hilly and triangular; tons of bridges and hillsides.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ilmucche posted:

Wait what's the political angle?

For the same reason Agatha Christie wrote that she never has guns in her novels because she gets too many angry letters from gun guys complaining that she got the details wrong

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I love the opening scene where it's very obvious they gave Bella Ramsay very good firearms handling instructions, and I could see her visibly uncomfortable with having to act recklessly in the mirror.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I love the opening scene where it's very obvious they gave Bella Ramsay very good firearms handling instructions, and I could see her visibly uncomfortable with having to act recklessly in the mirror.

I wonder if they shot this before or after that incident with Alex Baldwin on the Rust set? I gotta think people are way more careful after that.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Bryan‘s Dad is credited but I don’t think we have any real indication about who his mom is.

I’m real excited to see what’s going on in that bubbly basement on Friday

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

I wonder if they shot this before or after that incident with Alex Baldwin on the Rust set? I gotta think people are way more careful after that.

It's little details that most people miss, like keeping her finger along the slide instead of on/in/near the trigger or trigger guard. People need to be taught that, because prior to holding a real gun for the first time, most people's only exposure are toys.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I did like that Joel called that out and asked her where she learned that.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I kind of figured that with Joel talking about the plow making a path for the tanks, that FEDRA had cleared certain highway routes.

Go off the beaten path, and you might just find endless abandoned cars blocking the way.

I think the need to refill the tank every hour kind of forces him to stay near bigger cities to be able to scavenge fuel - don't want to be stuck in the middle of rural Missouri with no cars to siphon gas from.

(This requires you to roll with the show's "20 year old gas still works but only kinda" conceit.)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Really liked the set/costume/general feeling of this one. When America fractures into a Midwestern insurgent civil war in the next 10-20 years I imagine it'll look like this, a real Belfast circa 1980 vibe.

I always thought when you see the Mad Max esque post-apocalyptic raiders with skulls on their cars it's a real "are we the baddies?" moment, but actually, the suburban warrior caste with the wrap-around shades and AR-15 that they probably go to sleep with would absolutely be spraypainting "RUN" on their snow plow death mobile, going out there and massacring travellers just passing by, and then returning home to their wife and kids to go to sleep without a care in the world.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's little details that most people miss, like keeping her finger along the slide instead of on/in/near the trigger or trigger guard. People need to be taught that, because prior to holding a real gun for the first time, most people's only exposure are toys.

I was more thinking of the actual training provided to the actors on sets (and the oversight over the props used obviously) but as someone with little exposure to real guns that's a cool detail.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I've known gas goes bad forever, but is it true that you can actually still use some gas? Does it just not work as well over time or does most of it turn to waste, with only a little still salvageable?

Good episode though. I last said that this was gonna be the episode where Bella Ramsey kind of has to win me over as Ellie and she sure did. And again, i'm a fan of the actress, I just wasn't digging her as Ellie in the first 2 episodes. This episode she did way better imo and I'm behind her as Ellie going forward. The little jokes between her and Pedro were fantastic. Not only the pun books, but the bit in the car with the coffee made me actually laugh.

Edit: Oh, and the Baldwin gun incident would never happen on an HBO production. That production he was in where it happened was cheap, rushed and everyone was overworked. HBO pays well enough and with all the money behind it, they are gonna take their time and make sure that never happens. Also, with all the guns we saw this episode, I imagine they have a meeting basically at the start of every day about it and go through all the motions. I've worked on a couple movies where firearms are involved and before every encounter with one, they called everyone around, explained whats going on and asked if anyone would like to inspect the weapon beforehand to verify that it was safe. The weapons master was always around during them as well, like just out of frame. Whenever it wasn't being used, the weapons master took it and held onto it until it needed to be used again.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 6, 2023

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

freebooter posted:

Really liked the set/costume/general feeling of this one. When America fractures into a Midwestern insurgent civil war in the next 10-20 years I imagine it'll look like this, a real Belfast circa 1980 vibe.

I always thought when you see the Mad Max esque post-apocalyptic raiders with skulls on their cars it's a real "are we the baddies?" moment, but actually, the suburban warrior caste with the wrap-around shades and AR-15 that they probably go to sleep with would absolutely be spraypainting "RUN" on their snow plow death mobile, going out there and massacring travellers just passing by, and then returning home to their wife and kids to go to sleep without a care in the world.

Not sure if you've ever seen it, but what you're saying reminds me of this scene from DS9: https://youtu.be/rVHR0UPHERQ

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Last Of Us producers reveal VFX needed to make Calgary look less post-apocalyptic

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I will always :lol: @ Hollywood having to jump through all those gun-related safety hoops just to keep some portion of their audience from flipping TFO when they see a safe, inert, gun-shaped prop on the screen.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

smackfu posted:

a generic Midwest city

oh so i guess we built all those fountains for nothing -_-

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

ShowTime posted:

I've known gas goes bad forever, but is it true that you can actually still use some gas? Does it just not work as well over time or does most of it turn to waste, with only a little still salvageable?

As long as it's kept clean and dry it will still work. The light ends evaporate away over time so it will just be difficult to start and run like crap.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not sure if you've ever seen it, but what you're saying reminds me of this scene from DS9: https://youtu.be/rVHR0UPHERQ

I loving love that episode. One of the best ever.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I think it's an oversight that Bill didn't convert his truck into biodiesel given the amount of time he had to kill.

spankmeister posted:

I loving love that episode. One of the best ever.

Yeah, it explains the banality of evil much more quickly than Hannah Arendt.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 6, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

withak posted:

I will always :lol: @ Hollywood having to jump through all those gun-related safety hoops just to keep some portion of their audience from flipping TFO when they see a safe, inert, gun-shaped prop on the screen.

I mean didn't someone get shot and killed onset just recently because they weren't jumping through enough hoops?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Speaking of gun noobs, Sam's gun wasn't fully loaded. I have to think that was a deliberate artistic choice rather than an error since kids with guns was adressed earlier in the episode.

deoju fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Exodor posted:

I think the need to refill the tank every hour kind of forces him to stay near bigger cities to be able to scavenge fuel - don't want to be stuck in the middle of rural Missouri with no cars to siphon gas from.

(This requires you to roll with the show's "20 year old gas still works but only kinda" conceit.)

That's a good point! In this case, you absolutely do not want to be driving anywhere near Kansas City. Another hour headed W on I-70 you get to Topeka. After Topeka, it's 7 hours of basically nothing to get to Denver. That's being generous and going city edge to city edge, not center to center. I've driven that route dozens, maybe even a hundred times. There's hour+ long stretches between gas stations, nevermind towns large enough to reliably have cars to steal gas from. I usually make the trip with 0-1 stops; usually stopping at a truck stop since there aren't many places for people to eat on that route either.

Edit: Taking I-29 N to I-80W looks more populated but slower. That seems doable... but the most natural route from Boston, MA to Jackson County, WY (per google) is I-90 to I-80. Which never comes closer than half a state away from KC.

As someone who lived in Kansas City, it's pretty obvious that they picked Kansas City without knowing much about it. I've never been to Philly, so I can't comment on if the switch makes more or less sense, but in a vacuum it doesn't make much sense.

I am glad that the kill-them-all lady isn't affiliated with the Fireflies so it's at least possible the Fireflies aren't insane.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 6, 2023