Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Tulalip Tulips posted:

We got questioned briefly by a fish

It was emotional but good.

Sounds like a good trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Quiet Feet posted:

Finally started watching the new Willow series and I'll probably finish it but it has a high-budget CW vibe to it and leans way too hard on snappy banter.

Yeah, I was honestly disappointed in the show. The dialogue was too modern for something that I always took as an old-timey fantasy world.

Since there wasn't a real NFL game on today I cooked dinner.

Been a while since I butter basted a steak.

Finished New York strip and some roasted asparagus that I tossed in bacon fat.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

My favorite air traffic control audio & graphics channel has the fedex near miss up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjoDn8zQgb8

You can listen to what the pilots and tower say.

I've listened to lots and lots of these. Plenty of cases where the departing pilots are told of the inbound traffic, the distance and the plane type, and the inbound traffic is also told of the plane ahead of them and type. That's all very normal.

Tower confirms that SW is "on the roll" which is due diligence because if SW hadn't been rolling yet he'd immediately tell the inbound fedex to go around.

I think I agree that this is still tower's fault, in that if tower can't see that the runway is being cleared in time they need to tell fedex to go around and they didn't verify visually. But this may also be partly on SW because despite confirming rolling, they didn't get going in a timely manner. When inbound is on 3 mi approach you either get on the runway and go immediately or you hold short (and tell tower you're going to) and wait.

Fortunately there's multiple layers of safety here. Nobody is solely responsible for the safety of the airport and aircraft: inbound pilots, outbound pilots, and tower share responsibility. That's why the protocol is to keep all parties informed of the situation, and at uncontrolled airports (those with no air traffic control) pilots inform each other of their intentions, arrange their landings, etc. Every pilot learns how to do that stuff long long before they're put in the seat of a passenger jet. So the pilots in the air telling the pilots on the ground abort is totally appropriate, and the pilots on the ground telling them that it's too late to abort is also totally appropriate.

Also there's a reason landing aircraft have to have full flaps, keep engines sped up, and stay well above stall speed; at any point they can and should be able to abort, and pilots practice touch-and-go as a basic part of training.

Basically, this was a near miss but after the initial errors were made, everyone did what they were supposed to as they dealt with the situation, including staying calm.

This is 1000% on the controller. The Southwest didn't confirm rolling until the controller asked. "Rolling now" should have set off alarm bells for the controller. I'm not even sure if what he did was legal, but he should have had the Fedex go around immediately at that point. The airplanes shouldn't be running the loving show and it's completely negligent that it took a pilot that was paying some attention to not have a 737 full of people flattened on the runway. The pilot saved the day while the controller didn't do poo poo. The person who did this should never talk to an airplane again, but the rumor mill says they're a problem child so I'm sure they'll be off to their next facility in no time.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

seiferguy posted:

I'm working on my wedding registry, and uh... we already have almost everything in our house.

What are some things to add that aren't gonna break the bank?

- Instant Pot

- Sous vide (Anova makes good ones)

- Storage. Storage. Storage. My suggestion is ditch the plastic and go glass; Ikea has a bunch of glass food storage containers of different sizes and I swear by them. They've lasted way longer than the Tupperware plastic stuff, and bonus is you can just shove them right in the oven to reheat your leftovers.

- More towels. You never have enough towels. If you have enough towels, get more and put them up so you can use them when the ones you have now wear out.

- (this sounds weird but let me explain) Toilet paper. You know what everyone uses, is kinda expensive, and doesn't go bad? Toilet paper. I know someone that put it as a gag on their wedding registry with no upper limit, and guess what most people got him. Either humorously, or because they couldn't think of anything else, or because (unexpected positive side effect) it was a budget option. Friends of his that didn't make much money could actually get him a gift. So he ended up with an insane amount of TP as a wedding gift (they have a pic of them standing next to the tower). I think it ended up being like a three year supply. But guess what- for the first three years of their marriage, which bit of household overhead did they not have to worry about paying for?

- Grocery gift cards. Similar idea to above, although kinda less funny.

- Any appliances you've had your eyes on, like a washer/dryer, vacuum, etc.

- One insanely expensive, incredibly specific usage, name brand thing that nobody will buy you. Everybody likes something to talk about.

- Fixtures. If you've wanted to start upgrading changing things like doorknobs, light fixtures, etc, this is a great time to get em.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Hahhahahaha must be nice, man being poor sucks. Our first kids baby shower registry was like a car seat, a stroller and everything else under 50 bucks at Target

Also my 2.5 year old has become an escape artist

My temp solution is to move his bed into the closet and lock him down

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 6, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
drat that's jail right there

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

27 hours of travel, we finally got to Phuket around 8 am, hosed around until we got to our hotel at 2, check in and did the beach, ate, drinks, then around 4 pm local time we put our heads down for a quick nap before going out for the evening

roughly 15 hours later we woke up.

Phuket is fun, it’s where my wife and I did our honeymoon. We had a bit shorter trip down there though, in fairness.

I miss travel :smith: need to get the little one a bit stable and into daycare before even thinking about a work trip or a personal trip.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

was that ace and gary in the last of us tonight

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

a sexual elk posted:

Hahhahahaha must be nice, man being poor sucks. Our first kids baby shower registry was like a car seat, a stroller and everything else under 50 bucks at Target

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Is Phuket still all Russian dudes or have the Chinese tourists made it that far south?

There are a lot of Russian dudes here

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

a sexual elk posted:

Dang dude, at least let him talk to his lawyer.

Edit: suddenly reminded I had a dream last night where I was in prison. Me and some other prisoners were planning a jailbreak but the yard outside is full of skeletal raptors. Also the "prison" itself was built into some old house.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 6, 2023

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

fknlo posted:

This is 1000% on the controller. The Southwest didn't confirm rolling until the controller asked. "Rolling now" should have set off alarm bells for the controller. I'm not even sure if what he did was legal, but he should have had the Fedex go around immediately at that point. The airplanes shouldn't be running the loving show and it's completely negligent that it took a pilot that was paying some attention to not have a 737 full of people flattened on the runway. The pilot saved the day while the controller didn't do poo poo. The person who did this should never talk to an airplane again, but the rumor mill says they're a problem child so I'm sure they'll be off to their next facility in no time.

This kind of poo poo amazes me that we are running on the most razor thin margins for redundancy in decision-making yet airlines want to slash this even further. Like obviously air travel is ridiculously safe and a credit to checklists and systems and redundancy, but capitalism dictates that we regard any wild success and say "yes, but how can I cut costs?"

If this were to go through, I would never get on another plane.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

LeeMajors posted:

This kind of poo poo amazes me that we are running on the most razor thin margins for redundancy in decision-making yet airlines want to slash this even further. Like obviously air travel is ridiculously safe and a credit to checklists and systems and redundancy, but capitalism dictates that we regard any wild success and say "yes, but how can I cut costs?"

If this were to go through, I would never get on another plane.

The lesson that companies learned from the Pinto debacle were not the lessons we thought.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Abugadu posted:

The lesson that companies learned from the Pinto debacle were not the lessons we thought.

Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

GD_American posted:

- One insanely expensive, incredibly specific usage, name brand thing that nobody will buy you. Everybody likes something to talk about.

Just put a sex swing on it and people will talk, plus you will get a sex swing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TIL the correct pronunciation of Tidus from FFX is "Teedus"

what the gently caress

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Intruder posted:

what the gently caress

Much like I will never call OG FF7 Aeris "Aerith" (7R Aerith is fine tho), I will never use that pronunciation

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

what the gently caress

Looks like the Japanese originally is ティーダ so that S in Tidus is silent, too.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

harperdc posted:

Looks like the Japanese originally is ティーダ so that S in Tidus is silent, too.

teeduh?

no thanks

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Saw the towels rec above. I need to replace all our towels as they’re a hodge podge if combining two houses and most of them should be shop towels at best.

Is there a recommendation for good but not insanely expensive towels? Or should I just go to Costco?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

No Butt Stuff posted:

Saw the towels rec above. I need to replace all our towels as they’re a hodge podge if combining two houses and most of them should be shop towels at best.

Is there a recommendation for good but not insanely expensive towels? Or should I just go to Costco?

Sam’s club has a pack of 8 for around 30 bucks, we bought some for the kids. They’re in the restaurant aisle though.

But otherwise Sam’s/Costco towels are a good bang for the buck.

Eh, they’re fine, Ornery.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 6, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Do not put Sams club and costco in a “/“.

Sams is garbage.

Kirkland is quality.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

We rag on SNL an awful lot, but they had two really good bits this week that I saw thanks to twitter.

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1622127831668097024

https://twitter.com/PedroPascalFR/status/1622193846103728128

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh Pedro Pascal was on? Yeah gonna watch that then

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yesterday I got a 10” stainless Cuisinart sauté pan for $14 and I’m extremely jazzed about it.

Got a pair of tenderloin steaks we trimmed off of our $$$ tendy roast from a while back vacuum sealed in the freezer, it’s just begging to be broken in with those and a pan sauce for Valentine’s Day :getin:

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

seiferguy posted:

I'm working on my wedding registry, and uh... we already have almost everything in our house.

What are some things to add that aren't gonna break the bank?

Upgrade your coffee equipment?
Picture frames for the wedding photos you'll have.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Kalli posted:

We rag on SNL an awful lot, but they had two really good bits this week that I saw thanks to twitter.

https://twitter.com/PedroPascalFR/status/1622193846103728128

The last sketch of the night had literally everyone involved breaking at some point. Of course that’s one they didn’t upload to YouTube.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Yeah get a burr grinder and an Aeropress

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

LeeMajors posted:

Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
What if X is less than the bribes to politicians?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
drat, washing machines & dryers are kinda expensive. And there seems to be a push for WiFi compatibility.

Do they make gas washing machines?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

CannonFodder posted:

What if X is less than the bribes to politicians?

I hate that our political class is beholden to capital. And it infuriates me how tiny the bribes are. Like a politician will sell out the health of millions of people and it will be for like $200k. It’s making the evil corporation millions upon millions!!!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

drat, washing machines & dryers are kinda expensive. And there seems to be a push for WiFi compatibility.

Do they make gas washing machines?

Hate that. Don’t need my washer to post vids of my unmentionables to TikTok (I do that on my own already!!)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The only smart appliance I actually think is an improvement (not counting TV's and such) is the refrigerator. The screen display can be really helpful for things like recipes, and listing whats in it. The ones with the interior camera seem really helpful to me because I think I own like 4 bottles of Worcestershire sauce because every time I am getting stuff for a meal I think to myself "do I have this?" and then just buy a bottle because I don't want to run back out to the store. Smart thermostats seem like a good idea too, but those are pretty small/cheap and hopefully the stupid design flaws have been removed. Plus, they existed even before Wifi was a thing in homes and can function just fine without an internet connection.

I see no reason to have a smart washer/dryer, especially since I am old school and will not leave the house with the dryer running. Same with the oven/stove.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kalli posted:

Much, much better than the Street Fighter bit they did last week

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

swickles posted:

The only smart appliance I actually think is an improvement (not counting TV's and such) is the refrigerator. The screen display can be really helpful for things like recipes, and listing whats in it. The ones with the interior camera seem really helpful to me because I think I own like 4 bottles of Worcestershire sauce because every time I am getting stuff for a meal I think to myself "do I have this?" and then just buy a bottle because I don't want to run back out to the store.

It's gonna be obsolete and unrepairable in six years, though. Also your fridge is part of a botnet now, and it's being used to DDOS a news outlet for publishing a slightly negative article about a crypto site.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I hate smart appliances because it's just more poo poo that breaks in a couple of years.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I'm trying really hard to restrain myself from writing a scathing email.

For reference, our schedule assignments reset every few months, and are assigned based on seniority. Because we have several schedules running simultaneously, there is a duty calendar released for each year, months in advance, with all the days clearly marked.

So prior to our most recent bid, we were given several revisions (which is typically not necessary because the shift designations do not change, they run every day, forever--so this should've been a red flag) including a final one before we made our selections. This is important because we use this to plan vacations while minimizing leave usage, or trying to be off on holidays, birthdays, etc.

The bid process proceeded as normal--I got my top desired shift and put everything into our home calendar. Then today, we are sent ANOTHER UPDATED SHIFT CALENDAR which is drastically different than the one we had. Our schedules are now set, and cannot be changed.

So I've got a lengthy draft sitting in my folder basically calling them out for inconveniencing the poo poo out of us and pointing out that giving us an accurate calendar is like bare-minimum stuff and we shouldn't have to do our own research and populate our own calendars because why the hell do we even have administration. I also pointed out that I am now going to be disrupting the schedule even more with more leave thanks to their mistake.

I'm probably gone from this place (at least as a full-time medic) as soon as I hit the meat of higher mathematics this fall, but I'm trying to sit on it for a few hours. Like, what clownshoes nonsense, right? Like, get your loving act together, no wonder we are a mess.

I'm probably way too pissed about this, but what the gently caress?

/rant

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Kalli posted:

I hate smart appliances because it's just more poo poo that breaks in a couple of years.

We got touchless faucets at garbage cans at work due to covid, and it is definitely annoying when something fails because it is out of batteries when it never needed batteries in the first place. "Whoops, cannot wash my hands because the sink is out of batteries".

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

LeeMajors posted:

I'm trying really hard to restrain myself from writing a scathing email.

For reference, our schedule assignments reset every few months, and are assigned based on seniority. Because we have several schedules running simultaneously, there is a duty calendar released for each year, months in advance, with all the days clearly marked.

So prior to our most recent bid, we were given several revisions (which is typically not necessary because the shift designations do not change, they run every day, forever--so this should've been a red flag) including a final one before we made our selections. This is important because we use this to plan vacations while minimizing leave usage, or trying to be off on holidays, birthdays, etc.

The bid process proceeded as normal--I got my top desired shift and put everything into our home calendar. Then today, we are sent ANOTHER UPDATED SHIFT CALENDAR which is drastically different than the one we had. Our schedules are now set, and cannot be changed.

So I've got a lengthy draft sitting in my folder basically calling them out for inconveniencing the poo poo out of us and pointing out that giving us an accurate calendar is like bare-minimum stuff and we shouldn't have to do our own research and populate our own calendars because why the hell do we even have administration. I also pointed out that I am now going to be disrupting the schedule even more with more leave thanks to their mistake.

I'm probably gone from this place (at least as a full-time medic) as soon as I hit the meat of higher mathematics this fall, but I'm trying to sit on it for a few hours. Like, what clownshoes nonsense, right? Like, get your loving act together, no wonder we are a mess.

I'm probably way too pissed about this, but what the gently caress?

/rant

I always say never send an email while mad. So I'd recommend saving it and coming back a couple hours later and reread it. Then again, this is internal, and a place you're going to quit soon anyway, so maybe send the lovely email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Wait until the single most inconvenient moment to quit and do it then.