Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

E the Shaggy posted:

Elmo apparently has horrific back and neck problems because he totally was able to lift a 350 pound sumo wrestler instead of getting his rear end kicked on his birthday:

“Mr. Musk took to the ring and—according to him—managed to throw the 350-pound opponent, resulting in an injury to his spine. "It cost me smashing my c5-c6 disc & 8 years of mega back pain!" Mr. Musk said on Twitter last year.“

https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-d...od=hp_lead_pos9

A better explanation is he hurt it when he did that weird Naruto pose before yelling I'M RICK BOTCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
How rich was he when he fought the sumo wrestler?

IIRC you can claim a "throw" in sumo when your opponent stumbles and his knee hits the ground.

There's definitely a wrestler out there who would take $50,000 to pretend to fall backwards when some rich rear end in a top hat shoves him.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

funeral home DJ posted:

To be honest though, nothing really summarizes the current state of the USA like two rich morons loving in the back of a poorly-manufactured car that's careening off a cliff towards a bunch of poor folks gathered at the bottom.

what can I say, Cronenberg's a loving prophet.

Go watch Videodrome in 2023: despite being cheesy as hell in terms of effects, and seeing the whole thing through the lens of VHS and radio-wave-broadcasts, I believe that movie did a better job predicting a lot of the psychosexual horrors and basic "tower of babel" / "it is no longer possible to discern objective reality" that 2010s-current internet culture has 100% delivered on. The movie really has no concept of two way mass communication, and yet, that's what the whole thing is about on some level, interaction with media poisoning our perceptions until we're hollowed out drones doing the bidding of various corp and state actors vying for control of reality.

Just an absolute loving banger of a movie.

e: twitter is Videodrome. All hail the new flesh. Death to videodrome.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The Chud guy that lives in my building was going on this morning about whether I use twitter and what a platform for free speech it's become and all this stuff about Elon bringing out stories about some symposium that happened with thousands of doctors coming out against the Vaccine and saying that it causes stuff like blood clots and that, but the mainstream media won't report on it. My question as always with kind of red pilled people is what the hell is he talking about?

All this anti-vaxxer poo poo kind of has net zero effect on me personally as I've already taken all the vaccines to date that are available and never had any issues. It almost seems to me like if you want to believe it's doing something horrible or nefarious to you you can feel any which way you choose afterward though. The sore arm from bruising after penetrating a vein to administer it is undeniable obviously as a physical reaction, but I never felt like I was dying or super sick or like anything was wrong otherwise so it just sounds like crazy person poo poo to me that there's something being hidden about it from the public.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 6, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Exactly what his echo chamber has taught him.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kale posted:

My question as always with kind of red pilled people is what the hell is he talking about?

You aren't obligated to talk to them. Just walk away.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kazil posted:

This. You are not going to talk sense to a guy who go redpilled. They are already deep inside the echo chamber.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

E the Shaggy posted:

Elmo apparently has horrific back and neck problems because he totally was able to lift a 350 pound sumo wrestler instead of getting his rear end kicked on his birthday:

“Mr. Musk took to the ring and—according to him—managed to throw the 350-pound opponent, resulting in an injury to his spine. "It cost me smashing my c5-c6 disc & 8 years of mega back pain!" Mr. Musk said on Twitter last year.“

Did you know that Douglas Adams died at 49 and this bitch is 51? smdh

Kale
May 14, 2010

kazil posted:

That's essentially what I was trying to do, though he caught me while I was making breakfast so it was hard to move away in this instance, but it was like pretty silly stuff as when he's not talking about conspiracy poo poo or expressing opinions that border on the outright racist/misogynist stereotyping I can tell he's otherwise a pretty knowledgeable guy, but man does he buy into a LOT of right wing conspiracy stuff. He actually seems to think Elon is trying his hand at comedy and that his jokes are remotely funny for example. If I can get through a conversation without hearing stuff like Italy has a government that's super for the people and totally awesome or that Twitter is an awesome platform now cause Elon is allowing free speech or that ball of mediocrity and grievance Pierre Poilievre is going to fix all of Canada's financial issues when so far all he's done is bitch and whine about Trudeau and pander to Freedom Trucker fuckers than I consider it a good encounter basically.

You know it's like you're clearly capable of having perfectly normal non-conspiracy laden conversations about day to day stuff yet choose not to a lot of the time to the degree where it's pretty uncomfortable to talk to a person.....just don't get it man. Like I've never felt there's some grand conspiracy out there against me or people in my demographic or whatever even when it feels like life is making GBS threads on me from all angles or what not so I don't know.....

This guy continues to be like increasingly almost every stereotype since moving in a few months back though. Loves Crypto currency and keeps trying to pitch it to people in my building, loves and listens to Joe Rogan Experience and Fox News (albeit morning with the Goldwater style conservative spin and not evening with Tucker and the "color pundits" with their all out fascism), thinks PP in Canada is the guy to do it all, thinks Giorgia Meloni is the ideal political role model, thinks Andrew Tate has some good points here and there but goes to far sometimes, loves Bill Burr, loves Rick and Morty, probably loves Scott Adams and Dilbert but I haven't checked because I don't really care anyway :lol:. Is increasingly obsessed with talking about concepts of free speech and censorship, thinks Elon is crushing it at twitter and got an account just for his ownership fiasco despite claiming he hated social media a month or two ago....it's like he's not as in control of his own life as he wants others to believe is the impression I've gotten since he moved in.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

E the Shaggy posted:

God I wish there was video and also that musk wasn’t a terrible liar

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

How rich was he when he fought the sumo wrestler?

IIRC you can claim a "throw" in sumo when your opponent stumbles and his knee hits the ground.

There's definitely a wrestler out there who would take $50,000 to pretend to fall backwards when some rich rear end in a top hat shoves him.

He probably just fought in one of these and is claiming it was a real sumo encounter

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Sumo wrestler looks at his manager, gets the nod, then violently launches himself off the ring

Like an adult letting a five year old win an arm wrestling contest

Kale
May 14, 2010

Alright unfortunately I think I know what he's talking about now and it's that incredibly implausible conspiracy theory that thousands of doctors around the world were paid off by some illuminati type deep state organization to keep quite about some thing in the vaccines or the origins of Covid or whatever. I remember another conspiracy guy at work trying to tell me about this stuff. Like what's more likely in the unlikely bad scenario outcome here, that Covid occurred naturally as a result of confluences resulting in a generational pandemic that has happened multiple times every 100-300 or so years throughout human history and just happened to happen during my lifetime, or that thousands of doctors were paid x amount of hush money around the world to keep quiet about China or Fauci's super secret Wuhan gain of function labs and never broke Kayfabe until "good guys" Elon, Joe Rogan and a bunch of ostracized Dr.'s finally spilled the beans in late 2022?

The part I don't get is that these people won't trust any authority figure whatsoever and that they have absolute zero credibility, but believe anything that comes out of Joe Rogan or Elon Musk's friends mouths instantly and seemingly without any skepticism and go around telling everybody about these crazy conspiracies that make them sound like crazy loving people despite other signs of functional cognitive and plausible thinking and rhetoric. Clearly these people are masters of picking away at certain people's confirmation biases, or the seed is just so already there all they need is an afternoon to concoct a rhetorical recipe and set of lines to water/fertilize it with.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A lot of us seem to have one of Those Guys in our lives that we just can't shake.

I suppose I should consider myself lucky that mine is relatively shallowly into the online conspiracy poo poo and is more old-school "I will now pretend I understand intricate theories of economics because I followed smart-sounding warbloggers in 2003" than Joe Rogan/Facebook/OANN, but it's still excruciating to have to just stand and take it.

You know pushing back just gives them a target: now you're an enemy, someone for them to redouble their efforts on. And of course they always seem to be the Gift of Gab types, the ones who can dominate a conversation and just freestyle all over you while you're desperately trying to remember a number from some fact you'd read in a tweet two weeks ago that he probably won't believe anyway.

And if I were to bring up the endless list of Great Hero Mans that he's idolized over the years, all of whom have come crashing down in disgrace, from Jobs to Trump to Milo Y to Elon, trying to point out the pattern and note that hero-worship is loving NOT a good look, suddenly somehow I seem like the crazy one.

If life is to be constantly made up of gritting my teeth till they're worn down to nubs then I want my money back

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Data Graham posted:

A lot of us seem to have one of Those Guys in our lives that we just can't shake.

I suppose I should consider myself lucky that mine is relatively shallowly into the online conspiracy poo poo and is more old-school "I will now pretend I understand intricate theories of economics because I followed smart-sounding warbloggers in 2003" than Joe Rogan/Facebook/OANN, but it's still excruciating to have to just stand and take it.

You know pushing back just gives them a target: now you're an enemy, someone for them to redouble their efforts on. And of course they always seem to be the Gift of Gab types, the ones who can dominate a conversation and just freestyle all over you while you're desperately trying to remember a number from some fact you'd read in a tweet two weeks ago that he probably won't believe anyway.

And if I were to bring up the endless list of Great Hero Mans that he's idolized over the years, all of whom have come crashing down in disgrace, from Jobs to Trump to Milo Y to Elon, trying to point out the pattern and note that hero-worship is loving NOT a good look, suddenly somehow I seem like the crazy one.

If life is to be constantly made up of gritting my teeth till they're worn down to nubs then I want my money back

If you push back or try to argue with them, they are engaged and will continue to pursue. If you can't walk away, you can always tell them you aren't going to talk about it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

kazil posted:

If you push back or try to argue with them, they are engaged and will continue to pursue. If you can't walk away, you can always tell them you aren't going to talk about it.

One worked at a client and would regale entire conference calls with this poo poo. Day he quit (due to the covid vax mandate) and left the country was the best day.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

gschmidl posted:

If he's not going to follow Lowtax's trajectory I'll take Limbaugh's.

Becomes the voice of fascism in America, irrevocably radicalizes an entire generation and completely poisons one half of the political spectrum beyond repair, plays kingmaker to that party, and dies a wealthy old monster without ever in his life having to answer for his crimes?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Becomes the voice of fascism in America, irrevocably radicalizes an entire generation and completely poisons one half of the political spectrum beyond repair, plays kingmaker to that party, and dies a wealthy old monster without ever in his life having to answer for his crimes?

I was thinking "gets addicted to painkillers and dies wretchedly of cancer"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Ah, the ol' Steve Jobs.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
So many threads could have the same content.

My friend has a co-worker who is super into Andrew Tate. This co-worker always talks about how he should upgrade his wife.

This guy is proof that boomers are a mindset as he is only in his 40s.

I hope that elon tried to make a "I need an upgrade" joke in earshot of his fash loving ex and that's why she dumped him.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Some days, when I’m chilling, I watch YouTube shorts (because I’m mentally ill) and the way it pushes rogan/tate poo poo is just weird. Like yeah I’ll dislike this Rogan video about wokeness gone wild.

But then I get “Neil Degrasse Tyson blows minds”, an interview with… Joe Rogan. Or someone talking about Andrew’s tits

And I always click thumbs down, and they keep showing up a few hours later. I wonder if they’re really such a powerful cultural force or it’s just my corner of the internet, or that thumbs down button doesn’t do anything.

Unrelated but why isn’t Elon laughing anymore 🤣🤣🤣

Edit: I also seem to get a lot of that comedian friend of Rogan who looks like he would’ve gone to the Jan 6 insurrection. Maybe it’s the standup comedy connection

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 6, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Some days, when I’m chilling, I watch YouTube shorts (because I’m mentally ill) and the way it pushes rogan/tate poo poo is just weird. Like yeah I’ll dislike this Rogan video about wokeness gone wild.

But then I get “Neil Degrasse Tyson blows minds”, an interview with… Joe Rogan. Or someone talking about Andrew’s tits

And I always click thumbs down, and they keep showing up a few hours later. I wonder if they’re really such a powerful cultural force or it’s just my corner of the internet, or that thumbs down button doesn’t do anything.

I've noticed a lot of Tate/Rogan and Peterson poo poo. FB does this too.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Alot of the people who left for Mastodon have started posting on Twitter again, despite the problems.

Is it because it's harder to get engagement on Mastodon or just not enough users?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edit: I also seem to get a lot of that comedian friend who looks like he would’ve gone to the Jan 6 insurrection. Maybe it’s the standup comedy connection

Youtube considers a thumbs down to be engagement and thus a signal to send you more of it. You have to tell it "don't show me this channel" to actually block it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The X-man cometh posted:

Alot of the people who left for Mastodon have started posting on Twitter again, despite the problems.

Is it because it's harder to get engagement on Mastodon or just not enough users?

Its likely because it is harder to get DRIVEN engagement that a lot of these people seek that might actually result in financial or personal gain.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Random Stranger posted:

Youtube considers a thumbs down to be engagement and thus a signal to send you more of it. You have to tell it "don't show me this channel" to actually block it.

Ahh poo poo this makes sense. I’ll just block them.

I figured a thumbs down would be like a soft block, or a signal to improve my feed, but I forgot to think like an evil corporation (remember google’s “Don’t be evil” motto lol)

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

The X-man cometh posted:

Probably less about direct engagement numbers and more about the specific kind of engagement. Mastodon is specifically designed to not become an outrage-engagement factory, which is part of the reason that they explicitly don't have a quote-tweet-like function. They observed that it's almost exclusively used to generate "check out this bullshit!" engagement and decided they don't want that.

There are a lot of twitter people who are so addicted to that kind of clickrage stuff that they find Mastodon's content too boring. I think Mastodon is a huge improvement over twitter for precisely this reason, and the fact that I don't feel the need to check in and engage on Mastodon 24/7 is a feature rather than a bug. But it's not for everyone and there are a lot of people who went to Mastodon looking for new-Twitter and didn't find it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

twitter just didn't break badly enough for these offshoots to gain critical mass, and now they've lost momentum so people are going back to twitter

likewise with artists, there was a push for people to set up alternative galleries which are now languishing as everyone goes back to mainly posting on twitter (which sucks because twitter is a terrible gallery)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I don't get any of that. All my shorts are dwarf fortress or raylan being snarky because I don't watch anything "political" on YouTube

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if you disable watch history on youtube then it will just recommend videos similar to the one you're currently watching, rather than trying to infer any broader trends in your interests (which usually ends with it deciding you'll love joe rogan)

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ahh poo poo this makes sense. I’ll just block them.

I figured a thumbs down would be like a soft block, or a signal to improve my feed, but I forgot to think like an evil corporation (remember google’s “Don’t be evil” motto lol)

Doesn't help much for the hellscape that is shorts. Bad content is spread across a very large multitude of channels because they don't give a poo poo about ad revenu, since they are glorified ads in of themselves.

The best you can do from my experience is to skip as fast as possible as soon as you see Tate/Peterson/etc... And over time it seems to stick.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Also liberally use Blocktube's word list and channel nuker.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Azhais posted:

Yeah, I don't get any of that. All my shorts are dwarf fortress or raylan being snarky because I don't watch anything "political" on YouTube

repiv posted:

if you disable watch history on youtube then it will just recommend videos similar to the one you're currently watching, rather than trying to infer any broader trends in your interests (which usually ends with it deciding you'll love joe rogan)

Yeah I don't watch political poo poo on yt and still get a ton of Jorp/Tate/Rogan stuff recommended. I have watch history disabled. I have no doubt that they're gaming the system, but I'm not sure how. Tate specifically did a lot of overt affiliate marketing stuff through his Hustler's University thing, which I imagine is part of the game.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

There are a lot of twitter people who are so addicted to that kind of clickrage stuff that they find Mastodon's content too boring. I think Mastodon is a huge improvement over twitter for precisely this reason, and the fact that I don't feel the need to check in and engage on Mastodon 24/7 is a feature rather than a bug. But it's not for everyone and there are a lot of people who went to Mastodon looking for new-Twitter and didn't find it.

Not only that, but Mastodon users are actively hostile towards that type of behavior, for better or worse. I've been on there since ~2017 and seen a lot of iterations of the new user influx/community push-back; sometimes it gets intense to the point of being straight-up bullying. But I think people just genuinely don't want the network to go to poo poo. It's both less engaging and more hostile to dark-pattern-driven behavior. It's not surprising to see a lot of people bounce off of it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think the craziest thing was people were paying 50 bucks a month for Tate’s Hustler University.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

shoeberto posted:

Yeah I don't watch political poo poo on yt and still get a ton of Jorp/Tate/Rogan stuff recommended. I have watch history disabled. I have no doubt that they're gaming the system, but I'm not sure how.

rogan in particular probably does so well with the algorithm because he doesn't just deal in reactionary politics, he's all over the place interviewing random celebrities that intersect with different fandoms/interests

it's easy to see how the algorithm can make leaps like "user interested in science" to "science is related to neil degrasse tyson" to "NDT is related to joe rogan because he went on and got 30 million views"

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Everything is connected

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Very Concerning, Very Real Scenario

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/1622631800387301378

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

gschmidl posted:

If he's not going to follow Lowtax's trajectory I'll take Limbaugh's.

It sounds like he's following Hulk Hogan's trajectory

"Where were you when Elon slammed the 800-pound sumo wrestler and caused California to slide into the ocean in front of 420,690,000,000 screaming Muskamaniacs, brother"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

What if there was a bomb that was going to explode killing millions and the only way to disarm it was to say Teslas are poo poo and Elon Musk is a dumb moron baby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Why would you make the disarm code something so obvious and commonly said?