Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

well why not posted:

If you want a spin on the TV crime procedural, check out Hannibal. It starts out as a CSI and slowly morphs into a gay murderer romance where the two leads play cat and mouse. This has them fully abandoning the crime-of-the-week in like season 2. Larry Fishburne and Mads Mikkelsen have a knife fight at the start of a season in a flash forward, so you know they'll be at each other by the end of said season. Quality show, absolutely bonkers.
It uses some pretty retrograde terminology if I recall and the angle likely gets abandoned for the queerbaiting stuff, but Hugh Dancy actually plays a drat good Autistic. He did a really good job in the terrible movie "Adam" which is similarly dated and ancient, reliant on really hoary stereotypes about "Aspergers" (the movie's from 2009, near the tail end of when that diagnosis was accepted) complete with "doesn't understand the hu-mons" and light savant tropes. It's well-intentioned though and like I said Dancy actually really seems to "get" how to play autistic, both there and in Hannibal. Danny Pudi is another one who did a really good job capturing that.

There's been a very minute rise in ASD characters. Someone showed me a TikTok from some Netflix show that had an autistic teen actress and it was pretty good.

grittyreboot posted:

Is there a good write up about Mindy Kaling's shittyness? I see a lot of people alluding to it on TikTok but I can't find a lot of direct facts
I wish I had some easy archive but I saw enough clips of her in The Mindy Project via reviews of Velma that uh, yeah it's definitely a "thing" with her. The clip I remember is her playing a Doctor who is specifically whining about not wanting to be assigned patients from India, Pakistan, or Arab countries at a doctor's practice because they speak less English and/or would have more trouble paying. Her assistant goes reluctantly "so should I put in 'more white patients?'" and Mindy gives non-verbal cues for yes. It's not even funny it's just like "ok so this character is racist against her own cultural lineages and is pressuring her white subordinates to be complicit in that."

Blue Moonlight posted:

gently caress yeah, part of the Saturday morning block when I was a kid in Oregon. I remember because it somehow made such a big impression on my father, who thought the concept was hilarious, that he brought it up frequently years after it left the air.
I'll be damned. I wonder what weird poo poo other kids heard about but only knew of as a sort-of mythical "wait that was actually a show I just saw the toys/video games and thought it was a fever dream?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx-WPOlGXqo

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
okay but a cow is

Look I gotta know, what are the anthropomorphic lady cows' boobs like

edit: disappointing

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
you think thats weird, what about Dreamworks, crappy cgi cartoon movie and tv cartoon Barnyard where male cows have udders, sometimes uses them as squirt weapons?

also bulls and actual female cows exist soooo ???? also their human characters are really ugly.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cow and Chicken not only demonstrated proper and family-safe udder use, but it treated the male Chicken's wattle with the respect it deserved.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

mind the walrus posted:

I'll be damned. I wonder what weird poo poo other kids heard about but only knew of as a sort-of mythical "wait that was actually a show I just saw the toys/video games and thought it was a fever dream?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx-WPOlGXqo

I think it’s important that everyone in the thread knows that this show thought hard about this world worked:

Wikipedia posted:

Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa dealt with a mutation of some kind; an irradiated comet struck the late 19th century Western plains creating a miles high mesa shrouded in clouds. Everything trapped on top of the mesa was "cow-metized" by the light from the "cow-met" and "evolved" into a "bovipomorphic" state.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Foreverial cowmetized and loving it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I don't think there's anything wrong with watching police procedurals as long as you find them entertaining and also continue to distrust all cops. Maybe even distrust them more because of the off the books chin music.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I agree, although I think part of the issue is also like, the timing of things. Like it's one thing to separate art from artist, or to enjoy problematic media. It's another when that art/media is directly reinforcing an ongoing crisis.

Plus like it's the nature of the idealization I suppose that's also so troubling. Compare classic Law and Order or, say, Dragnet, to something like SVU or Blue Bloods and poo poo. The former are idealized and depict an ideal of what many people would probably agree good policing looks like. Our cops are genuinely interested in justice and follow the rules, and are generally called out when they don't. There are bad apples but they do not represent the force as a whole. This is a dangerous lie, but it's still at least a wholesome ideal in its own way. Compare that to the more sinister and overtly cryptofascist poo poo where anything and everything the cops do is justified because they are the cops, extrajudicial use of force is celebrated rather than seen as a step out of line, and so on.

Like on some level even Columbo is copaganda, but I mean he's also an ideal of policing most people, even lefties like me, would say is something they could get behind; doesn't carry a weapon, badgers the rich and powerful, only gets involved in genuine crimes rather than serving capital, etc etc.

Like part of the issue with modern copaganda is how the ideal of what policing should be. The old copaganda that attempted to portray cops as your friends who are concerned with justice has given way to a new breed that depicts cops as your masters you should be thankful and deferential to.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Just watched the Velma pilot. It's...bleak. it's pretty much what I first thought Harley Quinn was going to be. How do you make Sam Richardson so charmless?

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

gimme a hardboiled detective on the rat squad show
the Internal Affairs investigate a "bad" cop every episode and almost every one ends with the cop going free because all the other cops cover for them. Just that over and over.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

ianmacdo posted:

the Internal Affairs investigate a "bad" cop every episode and almost every one ends with the cop going free because all the other cops cover for them. Just that over and over.

Hey now, sometimes it makes it to trial or something and they get a slap on the wrist if not an acquittal.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I've been watching Castle for after-work unwinding and lol the NYPD might as well just hand him a badge and gun for all the police work he does in any given episode.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Like on some level even Columbo is copaganda, but I mean he's also an ideal of policing most people, even lefties like me, would say is something they could get behind; doesn't carry a weapon, badgers the rich and powerful, only gets involved in genuine crimes rather than serving capital, etc etc.

Like part of the issue with modern copaganda is how the ideal of what policing should be. The old copaganda that attempted to portray cops as your friends who are concerned with justice has given way to a new breed that depicts cops as your masters you should be thankful and deferential to.

The Jack Reacher movies and TV series always skips around this line, they usually include a few corrupt smalltown cops who Reacher has to outmaneuver and defeat as he untangles the big mystery but they usually also include honest cops who have noble intentions at heart but were unable to bring the bad guys to justice without Reacher's help because they were held back by the system. Reacher himself was a SOLDIER COP who always bucked against the system and eventually went rogue because that was the only way he could actually get things done. It's thinly veiled copaganda hiding behind Great Man Theory with a sprinkling of "a few bad apples"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSGXKyntOaw

Pretty much every superhero IP pulls the same thing, the hero has to become a vigilante who operates outside the law because that's what the fictional situation calls for, they deal with the threats that are outside the scope of the legal system which is already struggling to deal with regular everyday crimes. It's pretty much a continuation of the Wild West lone gunslinger hero genre which was itself built upon previous genres.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I suppose a better way of articulating what I was trying to say is that copaganda is propaganda, of course, and as such it's trying to sell you on an idea. What is the idea?
A lot of older copaganda tries to sell you, essentially, on the idea that the police are your friends, are concerned about justice, are largely if not entirely good faith actors and any bad cops are rare exceptions who are generally quickly dealt with, and that the system may not be perfect, but it works and has good intentions in mind. There's also a lot of racial elements at play with how they depict crime and whatnot, but I don't know if that's necessarily part of the core idea of copaganda - you could and do have shows that avoid that while keeping true to the rest. That's, I think, a different propaganda idea that is simply generally packaged with it. But like, yeah, even Columbo fits this idea.

More modern copaganda tends to try and sell you on the idea that the police are your masters and betters. The system is fundamentally broken and they are the one and only thing standing between you and the abyss. Anything and everything they do is justified because they are the police and you are not. They are not your friends the same way your parents are not your friends; they are something more important than friends. They have good intentions in mind, and as such anything and everything they do is fine, because look the system takes too long and we need justice *now*.

Like it's part of the gradual escalation into fascism from conservatism. The only thing that can be trusted or used is naked force and violence, anything else is an obstacle that gets in the way of getting poo poo done.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Laterite posted:

I've been watching Castle for after-work unwinding and lol the NYPD might as well just hand him a badge and gun for all the police work he does in any given episode.

They definitely seem to lean into the absurdity as the show goes on:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
RE Mindy Kaling-really seems like she just played herself in that always sunny episode.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Aramek posted:

How would you have a crime/mystery show without it also being a cop show?

Like does the person just never get arrested at the end and they get away with it every week? Like when they unmask the guy on Scooby-Doo they just bail?
IMO, Veronica Mars manages it even with the main character's father being an ex-Sheriff.

The cops are involved but are mostly portrayed as incompetent, actively aiding the protection of a racist and unjust system, or outright malicious.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ambitious Spider posted:

RE Mindy Kaling-really seems like she just played herself in that always sunny episode.

Reminding me of Lena Dunham, that realisation that their entire gimmick isn't an act.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

I think it’s important that everyone in the thread knows that this show thought hard about this world worked:

The Cow-ler Out of Space

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I used to listen to the Jack Reacher stuff when XM had an audio book channel. It was on during my commute, and was mindless enough to pass the time.

Having grown up in a military family, I find the fact that he's a "retired MP major" and that's what gives him all his super cop/detective/spy skills to be hilarious. MPs barely count as cops. And ascribing all these amazing skills to them is even funnier.

And that's not even getting into how the writer seemed to spend a lot of time describing Reacher while typing one handed. I mean, Reacher had pecs that at one point stopped a bullet. And they picked Tom Cruise to play the guy who's supposed to be like 6'3?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MrUnderbridge posted:

Having grown up in a military family, I find the fact that he's a "retired MP major" and that's what gives him all his super cop/detective/spy skills to be hilarious. MPs barely count as cops. And ascribing all these amazing skills to them is even funnier.

The military idiots thread in GiP will disabuse anyone of the notion that the military has competent people working within it. It’ll convince you of the opposite, actually!

e: abandon all hope, ye who enter.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894960&perpage=40&noseen=1

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Is Jack Reacher the one where there’s a lot of description about his ridiculously big hands?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

AceOfFlames posted:

They definitely seem to lean into the absurdity as the show goes on:

It starts that way, the vest is a running gag from the pilot.

I liked the show but I can't watch it anymore. The previous tenants of my house left a lot of stuff in the basement. One time a fuse blew and I had to go down with a flashlight. Crouching through the 5 ft clearance with a dirt floor through old appliances and mouldering furniture to get to the fuse box I could almost hear the Silent Hill radio static. Nearly poo poo myself when I look left and see two people standing there. A random cardboard cutout of the two leads.

Macdeo Lurjtux has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Feb 6, 2023

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

bobjr posted:

Is Jack Reacher the one where there’s a lot of description about his ridiculously big hands?

it’s the one where he gets to live the boomer dad dream by being a rich-ish hobo-cop, picking up and leaving whenever he wants to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bobjr posted:

The size of increasingly larger dinner birds. Could palm the skin off a baseball.

https://twitter.com/toyns/status/1023041773914992642?s=20

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

grittyreboot posted:

Is there a good write up about Mindy Kaling's shittyness? I see a lot of people alluding to it on TikTok but I can't find a lot of direct facts
Just going by the first result on my Google search, it looks like Velma being bad and also having weird, conservative-adjacent jokes has made a lot of people dive deep into her persona and what they found was not that flattering.

So from Velma having a weirdly "conservative comedian" take on MeToon in the show, to Kaling's liking a super awful JK Rowling tweet, to the way she usually depicts Indian-American characters (from disinterested to hopenly in refusal of their culture; always pining for mean spirited white guys), to her allegedly declarations of being "way conservative and into guns" to potential anti Semitic and anti islamic material.

I've never seen anything in which she starred, wrote or produced by her, so I'm only going from Google.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I can think of at least two episodes where the episode is about how no one ever gets convicted because the cops made this unsolvable case: Murdered Montana veterinarian (oh, he just committed suicide, so y'all wipe up the blood to spare his family embarrassment) and Halloween Dakotas bar beating murder.

I watched the Halloween bar beating episode last night and it was goddamn infuriating how they ignored much better potential suspects in favor of the one guy they ended up going after. And then after he was acquitted because their whole case was built on shoddy investigating, they just threw up their hands and were like "Welp, we know he did it, and the jury got the verdict wrong." Better not even consider that maybe you should investigate those other guys. It's less about finding the actual truth and more about "who would it be easier to convict for this?".

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Leverage: Redemption has plenty of corrupt cops doing terrible things who frequently get the crap beaten out of them by our heroes. It's a fun show, kind of a modern A-Team who protect the powerless from cops, rich bastards and neo-nazi supporting electric vehicle developers, which is nice.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

In Person of Interest, all but like maybe 2 members of the NYPD were corrupt pieces of poo poo (I am not including main character Fusco in that number despite his arc) and everyone involved with the CIA, like literally everyone, was an unhinged sociopath, including two of the heroic leads. I think the FBI was the only agency that came out alright, except they were all generally incompetent.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Isn't rhe whole thing about Perry Mason is the LAPD is always arresting and charging the wrong person and Mason is always exposing the real perp for them in court?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

if you want a a non crime/cop(huh are all crime shows just cop shows?) mystery of the week procedural show, watch House, its about medical mysteries of the week.

Though like all murder of the week shows, the some Fed org really should just nuke whatever small town Princeton is because their rare disease stats is breaking statistics.

Err, hospitals treat people from outside the local region all the time... Why would you nuke them for that?

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. Monk/Psych/The Mentalist/Sherlock/iZombie etc. aren't "PI Shows" as much as "extended copaganda" shows, in that they show that "the cops are trying their hardest, they just need some extra-judicial cheating from a charitable 3rd party to get the bad guy, sometimes", which is even gross in some ways.

That's not the case with Monk, in that the cops were shown as general screwups for the most part which is why they needed Monk, and the police chief was really the only intelligent one there and even he had his screwups. Neither Monk nor Psych really gave me the impression that the cops were being lionized at all. Like everyone is a screwup in Psych, especially Shaun. Monk's never really shown as someone you should admire and emulate because even though he's brilliant he's a huge wreck.

I just get the impression that 'copaganda' is 'anything that has a cop in it' to some people.

Kchama has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Feb 6, 2023

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

MrUnderbridge posted:

Reacher had pecs that at one point stopped a bullet

Clear my schedule and get me a couple rolls of quarters!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Kchama posted:

Err, hospitals treat people from outside the local region all the time... Why would you nuke them for that?
Yeah most people treated by House's team are going to that hospital specifically because they have a "wtf is going on" department that treats weird stuff no other specialist has been able to figure out.

House is still probably the best Sherlock Holmes modern adaptation (together with Elementary*); however if we talk about aging well, House is very early 2000 edgy/caustic - although he is not depicted as a "good" guy, he is definitely portrayed as "cool" in his anti-heroics. The series does eventually go really deep into how bad he actually is and he does try to seek to change his behaviours...from time to time. He's still very much hero material for whoever idolizes characters like Rick Sanchez or Walter White, though.

* I like the protagonist in Elementary much more, personality wise especially cause he has some actual character development and I think the procedural parts are very well done; however I'm very easily annoyed by mistery box characters/stories, so I'm going to detract points for that. In fact I have eventually lost interest in the metaplot enought to stop watching the show, so apologies if SH suddenly goes all homophobic or something in the later seasons.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Feb 6, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The 24/7/ ai-generated Seinfeld stream lasted all of six days before

https://twitter.com/watmay1/status/1622518097067511811

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Kchama posted:

I just get the impression that 'copaganda' is 'anything that has a cop in it' to some people.

This is the forum where someone said explaining something is endorsing it.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The 24/7/ ai-generated Seinfeld stream lasted all of six days before

https://twitter.com/watmay1/status/1622518097067511811

So they got banned the same night Jerry Seinfeld learned about it? lol

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

This is the forum where someone said explaining something is endorsing it.

Remembering is doxxing

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

That Italian Guy posted:

House is still probably the best Sherlock Holmes modern adaptation (together with Elementary*); however if we talk about aging well, House is very early 2000 edgy/caustic - although he is not depicted as a "good" guy, he is definitely portrayed as "cool" in his anti-heroics. The series does eventually go really deep into how bad he actually is and he does try to seek to change his behaviours...from time to time. He's still very much hero material for whoever idolizes characters like Rick Sanchez or Walter White, though.

House also has a problem in that either the writers or the network didn't want House to evolve and totally nuke his relationship with Cuddy in the worst way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah most people treated by House's team are going to that hospital specifically because they have a "wtf is going on" department that treats weird stuff no other specialist has been able to figure out.

* I like the protagonist in Elementary much more, personality wise especially cause he has some actual character development and I think the procedural parts are very well done; however I'm very easily annoyed by mistery box characters/stories, so I'm going to detract points for that. In fact I have eventually lost interest in the metaplot enought to stop watching the show, so apologies if SH suddenly goes all homophobic or something in the later seasons.

I never watched Elementary but I probably should.

And yeah House's willingness to actually TRY to change (even if he fails) actually is what sets him apart from the Rick Sanchez types.