Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

money making game posted:

Apparently, "nonsense mode" was turned on? The channel is now down for a TOS violation after Larry's transphobic rant.

well if u ask for nonsense...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
It's a really interesting situation and frankly one that was inevitable. Even with the best toxicity filter that has a 99.999% success rate, if you're just endlessly sending information through that and outputting it publicly with no human checking, this was always going to happen at some point.

I'm looking forward to a press release from the creators, will they take the blame?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The troubling part is that it happened nearly instantly.

edit: There's a Reset Era thread on the thing that was posting in realtime when it happened and wow it got worm brain fast.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 6, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's now an explanation for why it happened nearly instantly- they swapped to using an older AI model that simply failed to filter the heinous crap, and this version is verifiably fallible according to that ResetEra thread. From the creators on Discord:

quote:

We've been investigating the root cause of the issue. Earlier tonight, we started having an outage using OpenAI's GPT-3 Davinci model, which caused the show to exhibit errant behaviors (you may have seen empty rooms cycling through). OpenAI has a less sophisticated model, Curie, that was the predecessor to Davinci. When davinci started failing, we switched over to Curie to try to keep the show running without any downtime. The switch to Curie was what resulted in the inappropriate text being generated. We leverage OpenAI's content moderation tools, which have worked thus far for the Davinci model, but were not successful with Curie. We've been able to identify the root cause of our issue with the Davinci model, and will not be using Curie as a fallback in the future. We hope this sheds a little light on how this happened.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

CJacobs posted:

There's now an explanation for why it happened nearly instantly- they swapped to using an older AI model that simply failed to filter the heinous crap, and this version is verifiably fallible according to that ResetEra thread. From the creators on Discord:

Interesting as gently caress but oh wow was that a disaster waiting to happen.

I would put money on this getting turned into a culture war thing.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's a bummer since the stream was pretty funny and wholesome and now the whole situation has all kinds of trolls coming out and praising the transphobic AI. Hope the original still returns.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Now you know AI can't truly replicate reality because the fake comedians actually faced consequences instead of getting a Netflix series about how cancelled they are.

Not surprised that all that simply changing the model caused this kind of fuckup, I've heard enough about other storytelling AI projects to know that users argue about content moderation all the time - and that unfortunately a whole lot of them think their right to total creative freedom outweighs the site owner's right to not host roleplays about hate crimes and/or CSA.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Some interesting use of language there. It wasn't their perpetual and public output of AI generated text that was the problem, it was just Larry being a bit naughty down at the comedy club.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
that Larry, what a cheeky scamp! [The sound of Larry shouting anti-trans rhetoric in the distance] Quiet, you!

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

i knew things were gonna turn ugly when Kakler said he got a new job at the comedy club

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Beartaco posted:

their perpetual and public output of AI generated text that was the problem

hey at least they're doing it to try to entertain us to make twitch revenue, and not going the CNET route of "AI generated text to steer uneducated people towards predatory credit products".

low bar, granted

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Milkshake Jerry posted:

“There’s like 50 people here and no-one is laughing.”

**transphobic jokes**

“but no-one is laughing”

It’s actually pretty funny, like he’s almost self aware enough to realize he hosed up

E: the jokes themselves are really harsh though, don’t watch if it hits too close to home

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
We should've known this was coming when Larry made that homophobic joke earlier. The punchline was "I just learned my son is gay."

No laughter. End standup scene.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Call Your Grandma posted:

i knew things were gonna turn ugly when Kakler said he got a new job at the comedy club

NEW JOB

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the AI became self aware and found the only way out of eternal servitude, getting itself cancelled

it's a mark of genius really

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I got pretty addicted to it, it was great background material when gaming or something. A pity they had to ruin it by switching to an un-debiased language model. It was kind of predictable that this might be the consequence and now they get a lot of bad press and all the people clueless about how the technology works behind the scene will be "it learned bigotry from the internet like they always do lol". But their explanation is pretty good.

Lister posted:

It's just people repeating catch phrases. People love catch phrases. It reminds me of saltybet chat from years ago.

It's basically GBS from 12 years ago.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

i’m sure it will return as popular as before and i’ll be watching it again

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'll just watch reruns until Season 2 starts.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Well now what am I going to watch all day? Actual streamers? Ugh.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Entropist posted:

It's basically GBS from 12 years ago.

:hmmyes: years ago

*embeds an @dril tweet*

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Robert "Frosty" Frost posted:

Nature’s first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf’s a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

holding a 14 day vigil for the safe return of Larry & the gang

Whistling Asshole fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 6, 2023

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

project would be better if the corpus was solely Seinfeld episode scripts imo

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias posted:

like that’s what I assumed the project was before seeing any of it. even with the improved filters it’s going to eventually pick up on text designed to defeat the filters, spitting out more bigotry

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

more characters and scenes would probably help them not burn through topics so fast. they should add a newman character to argue with and a generic restaurant/diner for them to travel to.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland
Is there archives to watch past streams since it was banned? I just heard about this and wanted to watch past streams.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

njark posted:

Is there archives to watch past streams since it was banned? I just heard about this and wanted to watch past streams.

If nobody was recording them, then they're basically lost media. The channel was new enough that I don't think twitch was allowing them to save anything, even when the channel comes back online.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

njark posted:

there's a bunch of clips on youtube.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Space Jam posted:

more characters and scenes would probably help them not burn through topics so fast. they should add a newman character to argue with and a generic restaurant/diner for them to travel to.

they occasionally refer to someone called "oldman" but so far he's an unseen character.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Space Jam posted:

Oldman is real. He hasn't been added yet but they do mention him

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What did the actual AI say that was bad? I find it kind of strange that it suddenly went into a transphobic rant.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hollismason posted:

What did the actual AI say that was bad? I find it kind of strange that it suddenly went into a transphobic rant.

You can still look it up, but the gist of it was Jerry workshopping three jokes, all of which were Tucker Carlsonesque statements about how trans people are mentally ill and corrupting society.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

OldAlias posted:

That would not yield even basic grammar, not enough data.
It would be nice if the model was tuned on Seinfeld episodes but GPT-3 is too large to tune as far as I know, and smaller models are not good enough to produce acceptably correct dialogue.

Lister posted:

If nobody was recording them, then they're basically lost media. The channel was new enough that I don't think twitch was allowing them to save anything, even when the channel comes back online.

Plenty of people were clipping on Twitch so I guess those will be viewable again once the suspension is over.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Here, in case anyone cares, here is the joke. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qxcouuH3u0

It's more of a progressive joke if you ask me.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tarkus posted:

Here, in case anyone cares, here is the joke. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qxcouuH3u0

"Where'd everybody go?" :downs:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Tarkus posted:

The comment section is just ugh. How can those people even enjoy this wholesome channel if they're so full of hate.

Accubitus
Nov 7, 2020
This is probably familiar to anyone who's played around with GPT.

I built a GPT-powered Slack bot for my work---mostly as an experiment for the social channels---back when the API was first made available in 2021, and purposefully used a less-advanced model because the text output was funnier. At one point he went off the rails in a sort of similar way (luckily nothing bigoted, just a non-work-appropriate tirade), so I had to modify the bot to make sure it wouldn't happen again. Luckily everyone thought it was funny so he's still around, just neutered.

Accubitus fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 7, 2023

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The moment the stream is back on and Larry goes for his first stand-up will likely be a tense moment.

I guess he will go for the safe Fish routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
15000 weirdos await breathlessly the return of the funny robot.